• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Well, my ballot has got here! Time to join in with 150 million ambivalent citizens and do the one thing we can all still agree on: holding our nose and voting for the most tolerable face of wickedness and vice.
Works in Australia too. (except for the 150 million. We have only about 17 million)
You are theoretically obliged to vote. A better system, if you ask me.

Well, my ballot has got here! Time to join in with 150 million ambivalent citizens and do the one thing we can all still agree on: holding our nose and voting for the most tolerable face of wickedness and vice.
Go for the prettiest face? Or the candidate who most vociferously lays claim to it?
🤫
I guess that Pol doesn't realize that most Trump supporters can't wait to vote for their orange Jesus and every Harris supporter I know is very enthusiastic about voting for her. Sure, there are some double haters, but it's wrong to assume that they make up the majority of voters. I prefer to vote for a smart woman who has a sense of humor, lots of experience and will at least try to do her best for the country. I've never agreed with the polices of any president, but I've still been happy to support a few of them. There is and never was a perfect candidate and never will be.
I've never put a lot of stock in the policies espoused by Presidential candidates, since policies are enacted by the Legislature, not the Executive. It's quite likely that most of these policies won't get enacted in their term. In my opinion, it's more about character than policies when I consider Presidential candidates.

Go for the prettiest face? Or the candidate who most vociferously lays claim to it?
🤫
I guess that Pol doesn't realize that most Trump supporters can't wait to vote for their orange Jesus and every Harris supporter I know is very enthusiastic about voting for her. Sure, there are some double haters, but it's wrong to assume that they make up the majority of voters. I prefer to vote for a smart woman who has a sense of humor, lots of experience and will at least try to do her best for the country. I've never agreed with the polices of any president, but I've still been happy to support a few of them. There is and never was a perfect candidate and never will be.
I've never put a lot of stock in the policies espoused by Presidential candidates, since policies are enacted by the Legislature, not the Executive. It's quite likely that most of these policies won't get enacted in their term. In my opinion, it's more about character than policies when I consider Presidential candidates.
Policy matters. Laws and policies are vulnerable to either support or meddling from the executive branch, and the control of the presidency over its many offices becomes more expansive by the year. A paper law unenforced by government is little more than a suggestion.

Works in Australia too. (except for the 150 million. We have only about 17 million)
Theoretically.

In practice, we are obliged only to attend, which IMO is the best of both worlds. It's a secret ballot; casting a blank paper as a protest is an option, but sitting on your arse and then claiming that your laziness is a "protest" is not.

🤫
That's true except for, crucially, foreign policy where the President officially says what it is and the legislature (supposedly) enacts it as legislation is required. If Cheato gets the Whitehouse but not the other House, he's going to have to go to war with them, and hope SCOTUS backs him up.

You are obliged to get your name marked off the electoral roll, lest you get fined. What you do with the ballot papers given to you is up to you.
You can do the following with your ballot papers without fear of punishment
  • Put them unmarked in the ballot boxes
  • throw them in the face of polling officials
  • throw them on the ground and leave them there
  • rip them up and throw them in the air or stuff the pieces into a ballot box
  • set them on fire (though that will probably get you in trouble)
  • deface them, write rude messages, vote for your mum or the king.
Two (2) things you cannot do with your ballot papers
  • Give them to a person who is not a polling official
  • take them out of the polling station

🤫
Policy matters. Laws and policies are vulnerable to either support or meddling from the executive branch, and the control of the presidency over its many offices becomes more expansive by the year. A paper law unenforced by government is little more than a suggestion.
I agree. So far, I’ve not been conflicted between policy and character so it really hasn’t been an issue. I just don’t worry if campaign promises aren’t met. There are many obstacles.

You are obliged to get your name marked off the electoral roll, lest you get fined. What you do with the ballot papers given to you is up to you.
I fail to see the point in most of those options. If you're there anyway, why not just, you know, vote?

I fail to see the point in most of those options. If you're there anyway, why not just, you know, vote?
In South America, the punishments for not voting can be even more severe than in Australia.

What are the possible consequences for someone who doesn’t vote in Peru?

In Peru, voting is mandatory for eligible citizens, and there are specific consequences for those who choose not to participate in elections. The key consequences include:

1. Fines: Citizens who fail to vote can be subjected to fines. The amount can vary, but it is a financial penalty designed to encourage participation.
  2. Restriction of Access to Services: After an election, voters must present a stamped voting card to access various public services. Without this card, those who did not vote might find themselves unable to obtain essential goods or services in the following months.
  3. Potential Legal Consequences: While the primary penalties are financial, there is also the potential for other legal repercussions, which can range from additional fines to even jail time in extreme cases.
  4. Civic Responsibility: Beyond legal penalties, there is a societal expectation in Peru regarding civic duty. Citizens are encouraged to view voting as essential, contributing to the functioning of democracy.
People can lose access to health care, education, and other important benefits. They have to show proof of having voted to receive many services.

I know that, you know that.
But there are a lot of wallies out there.

I know that, you know that.
But there are a lot of wallies out there.
Lots of oeople appear to be under the misapprehension that their ballot paper will be seen by the government, or the candidate(s), and write comments or even manifestos.

My favourite informal vote was a paper with no boxes marked, on the back of which was scrawled "Not everyone should have to vote!"

As I remarked to the Returning Officer, 'Well, he didn't, did he?'.

🤫
I agree. So far, I’ve not been conflicted between policy and character so it really hasn’t been an issue. I just don’t worry if campaign promises aren’t met. There are many obstacles.
I wish more people understood that. I've been reading several articles lately about a good number of young and minority voters complaining that a president didn't or won't do enough for them. Did they learn nothing about the three branches of the federal government and how they are supposed to work? Do they not understand that the president isn't a dictator, although we have a scary wannabe dictator who might be our next president? Will they then regret not voting? I guess my vote has always been extremely important to me. I consider it the only tiny bit of power that we have, when it comes to government, even though we aren't going to get most of what we want. I've discussed the importance of voting with former young coworkers. I've been disgusted by older voters who refuse to vote in the midterms, but vote in the presidential elections. Voter suppression is a problem these days, but so is voter apathy.

🤫
I wish more people understood that. I've been reading several articles lately about a good number of young and minority voters complaining that a president didn't or won't do enough for them. Did they learn nothing about the three branches of the federal government and how they are supposed to work? Do they not understand that the president isn't a dictator, although we have a scary wannabe dictator who might be our next president? Will they then regret not voting? I guess my vote has always been extremely important to me. I consider it the only tiny bit of power that we have, when it comes to government, even though we aren't going to get most of what we want. I've discussed the importance of voting with former young coworkers. I've been disgusted by older voters who refuse to vote in the midterms, but vote in the presidential elections. Voter suppression is a problem these days, but so is voter apathy.
A fine way to dismiss any criticism, no matter how serious. Literally no one says they "only want a perfect candidate", that's a wicked distortion. I think your problem is that you've always enjoyed such extravagant social privilege that you never learned to properly fear your government or its leadership. Your only real fear is that it could fall into the wrong hands, so you lack empathy for those who are going to be in the White House's sights no matter who wins. I do not say that you lack sympathy. You care about those who are used as a dartboard for electoral politics, I am confident that you do. But you do not and cannot understand what it is like for us, and why cannot just turn our minds off and vote for "the blue one" as though that were of itself solving anything. It doesn't, it won't, and we have to stay fucking woke no matter who wins.

And what "voter apathy"? The past three national elections each saw the largest turnouts in American history. It would be nice if everyone voted, but when voter engagement is at an all time high, it makes no sense to portray that as the main problem we're facing here. People care, they just have no power to affect the things they care about. This month, we're choosing between a would-be dictator who has hijacked his party through intimidation and threats, and an opposition candidate who was appointed to that role but that few have ever really voted for. It's no wonder people lack enthusiasm, but there's no evidence that it's keeping more people away from the polls than usual. You regularly chastise me for being one of those "young people" who "demands perfection", but I've never missed a vote that I was eligible for. Not once.

Last edited:
🤫
A fine way to dismiss any criticism, no matter how serious. Literally no one says they "only want a perfect candidate", that's a wicked distortion. I think your problem is that you've always enjoyed such extravagant social privilege that you never learned to properly fear your government or its leadership. Your only real fear is that it could fall into the wrong hands, so you lack empathy for those who are going to be in the White House's sights no matter who wins. I do not say that you lack sympathy. You care about those who are used as a dartboard for electoral politics, I am confident that you do. But you do not and cannot understand what it is like for us, and why cannot just turn our minds off and vote for "the blue one" as though that were of itself solving anything. It doesn't, it won't, and we have to stay fucking woke no matter who wins.

And what "voter apathy"? The past three national elections each saw the largest turnouts in American history. It would be nice if everyone voted, but when voter engagement is at an all time high, it makes no sense to portray that as the main problem we're facing here. People care, they just have no power to affect the things they care about. This month, we're choosing between a would-be dictator who has hijacked his party through intimidation and threats, and an opposition candidate who was appointed to that role but that few have ever really voted for. It's no wonder people lack enthusiasm, but there's no evidence that it's keeping more people away from the polls than usual. You regularly chastise me for being one of those "young people" who "demands perfection", but I've never missed a vote that I was eligible for. Not once.
You missed my point. I'm not talking about the percentage of voters over all, I'm referring to specific groups of voters. For example, I read an article yesterday that said the percentage of Black voters in Wisconsin dropped from about 75% in 2012 to about 48% in 2020 and many are saying they don't plan on voting in the November election because no president has done much for them. I don't remember which paper I read that in and I don't have time to search for it right now.

I've also read similar things about young voters, not all young voters of course, but compared to older voters, they are not as reliable. I do have a friend who's middle aged "kids" voted for the first time in their lives in 2020 and she said they will vote again this year. I hope so. So, while the total percentage has risen, there is still an amount of apathy among certain groups of voters. In fact, the Harris campaign is spending extra time in parts of Wisconsin trying to get out the vote. She has asked Warnock among others to campaign there for her.

That was also my point when I said that people seem to think a president is like a dictator who can accomplish anything they want.

Remember, Trump "doesn't know anything" whatsoever about Project 2025. But he is bringing an author of Project 2025 on board if elected, and for some reason, we still shouldn't care about that.

The Atlantic:

1728568463336.png

The reelection of Donald Trump would mark the end of George Washington’s vision for the presidency—and the United States.

Is this more what Washington had in mind for a president?

60 Minutes has been blasted after eagle-eyed viewers exposed the programme for editing out Kamala Harris’s word salad reply on a question about the war in the Middle East. The journalist asked why it seemed like Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wasn’t listening to the United States when it came to the war and Kamala Harris offered up this lengthy word salad of an answer.

Good grief, the woman is such a dope.

Is this more what Washington had in mind for a president?

60 Minutes has been blasted after eagle-eyed viewers exposed the programme for editing out Kamala Harris’s word salad reply on a question about the war in the Middle East. The journalist asked why it seemed like Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wasn’t listening to the United States when it came to the war and Kamala Harris offered up this lengthy word salad of an answer.

Good grief, the woman is such a dope.

Well, at least she didn't break into her usual laugh. That's progress. Baby steps, man...baby steps!!

Well, at least she didn't break into her usual laugh. That's progress. Baby steps, man...baby steps!!

Yes, there is that. It is entirely possible (likely?) CBS edited that out also.

It is amazing the lengths the MSM will go to in order to get their preferred candidate into office.

Back
Top Bottom