• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

Mr DeSantis downplayed what he described as “technical violations of the law” and suggested he’d issue pardons for January 6 rioters because Black Lives Matter protesters have not been prosecuted to the same extent by the federal government.
So, the logic is “these people should have their crimes waived because these other people weren’t prosecuted”. If he thinks it was a miscarriage of justice to let BLM protestors go uninvestigated wouldn’t the appropriate response be to say he will investigate those people?

Mr DeSantis downplayed what he described as “technical violations of the law” and suggested he’d issue pardons for January 6 rioters because Black Lives Matter protesters have not been prosecuted to the same extent by the federal government.
So, the logic is “these people should have their crimes waived because these other people weren’t prosecuted”. If he thinks it was a miscarriage of justice to let BLM protestors go uninvestigated wouldn’t the appropriate response be to say he will investigate those people?

He also said he would pardon Trump. He is clearly expecting Trump to be eliminated from the competition by the time primaries roll around. Then he would be the only one left standing for Trump lovers to migrate to, because he would have the name recognition and be the Trumpiest of the bunch, except for the abysmal lack of charisma, no sense of humor, no sense of timing, no people skills, and the book-banning, teacher-hating, race-baiting, anti-Mouse agenda.

Perhaps if some intrepid journalist asked DeSantis specifically, "What crimes are you considering pardoning them for, specifically? What crimes do you think they committed that need pardoning?"

That might be fun.

I'm not doing it. I don't want the kind of death threats, and such, honest journalists will get these days.
Tom
Pardon them because the charges are just a witch hunt.

Jan. 6 rioters are raking in thousands in donations. Now the US is coming after their haul

Less than two months after he pleaded guilty to storming the U.S. Capitol, Texas resident Daniel Goodwyn appeared on Tucker Carlson’s then-Fox News show and promoted a website where supporters could donate money to Goodwyn and other rioters whom the site called “political prisoners.”

The Justice Department now wants Goodwyn to give up more than $25,000 he raised — a clawback that is part of a growing effort by the government to prevent rioters from being able to personally profit from participating in the attack that shook the foundations of American democracy.

An Associated Press review of court records shows that prosecutors in the more than 1,000 criminal cases from Jan. 6, 2021, are increasingly asking judges to impose fines on top of prison sentences to offset donations from supporters of the Capitol rioters.
:LOL:

A growing number of Capitol rioters have gone back on their guilty pleas and apologies - including one of the most recognisable faces from 6 January.
Standing in court, Jacob Angeli Chansley, known as Jake Angeli, seemed like a changed man.
Shorn of the horned headdress, furs and face paint that helped earn him the nickname the QAnon Shaman, he was pleading guilty to obstructing an official proceeding. The charge stemmed from his part interrupting a joint session of Congress, and carried a maximum prison term of 20 years.
"I am truly, truly repentant for my actions, because repentance is not just saying you're sorry," he said. "Repentance is apologising and then moving in the exact opposite direction of the sin that you committed.
"In retrospect, I would do everything differently on January 6th."
A judge called his apology "the most remarkable I've heard in 34 years" and sentenced him to 41 months in prison - considerably less than the maximum allowed.

Now more than a year-and-a-half later, Angeli is out of jail early, and his remorse is gone.
"Regrets only weigh down the mind," he told the BBC. "They're like sandbags on a hot air balloon."

A Florida music instructor who unleashed an unexpected verbal tirade at prosecutors, the media and the federal government at her court hearing Friday, has been sentenced to six years in prison in her U.S. Capitol Insurrection case. U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta castigated Audrey Southard-Rumsey, 54, as a "one-person wrecking crew" on Jan. 6, 2021, and added a "terrorism enhancement" to her sentence.
uring a dramatic 15-minute statement at her sentencing hearing, Southard-Rumsey pushed aside papers that included a set of prepared remarks. She instead blistered prosecutors, calling them "liars," then accused a Capitol Police officer whom she'd allegedly confronted on Jan. 6 of being "terrified."

Turning periodically to face the prosecutors and the courtroom audience, who were seated behind her, Southard-Rumsey told the judge, "I wanted to tell you exactly what you want to hear, but I won't. I won't lie. There were vicious lies about me."

She accused Antifa of filming her amid the Capitol riot and said, "My whole dream of my life has been taken, because people have different politics than mine."

Southard-Rumsey also said, "I have grievances, since they don't listen to us at the polling place. They don't listen to us little people in the regular world." She said, "I'm ashamed of this country."
Dumbass...

Reactions: SLD
Michigan AG charges participants in 2020 fake elector plot

Sixteen fake electors who signed certificates falsely claiming President Donald Trump won Michigan in the 2020 election have been charged with crimes, state Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday.

This is the first time any of the fake electors have been charged with a crime related to the scheme.

The charged individuals are Kathy Berden, a Republican National Committeewoman from Michigan; William (Hank) Choate; Amy Facchinello; Clifford Frost; Stanley Grot; John Haggard; Mary-Ann Henry; Timothy King; Michele Lundgren, Meshawn Maddock, the former co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party; James Renner; Mayra Rodriguez; Rose Rook; Marian Sheridan; Ken Thompson; and Kent Vanderwood.

All 16 individuals were charged with multiple felonies “for their role in the alleged false electors scheme following the 2020 U.S. presidential election,” Nessel’s office announced. The counts include one count of conspiracy to commit forgery, two counts of forgery, one count of conspiracy to commit uttering and publishing and one count of uttering and publishing – all of which carry a maximum of 14 years in prison – as well as one count of conspiracy to commit election law forgery and two counts of election law forgery, which carry a maximum of five years in prison.
“There will be those who claim these charges are political in nature. But when there is overwhelming evidence of guilt in respect to multiple crimes, the most political act I could engage in as a prosecutor would be to take no action at all,” Nessel said.
:cheer:

Michigan AG charges participants in 2020 fake elector plot

Sixteen fake electors who signed certificates falsely claiming President Donald Trump won Michigan in the 2020 election have been charged with crimes, state Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday.

This is the first time any of the fake electors have been charged with a crime related to the scheme.

The charged individuals are Kathy Berden, a Republican National Committeewoman from Michigan; William (Hank) Choate; Amy Facchinello; Clifford Frost; Stanley Grot; John Haggard; Mary-Ann Henry; Timothy King; Michele Lundgren, Meshawn Maddock, the former co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party; James Renner; Mayra Rodriguez; Rose Rook; Marian Sheridan; Ken Thompson; and Kent Vanderwood.

All 16 individuals were charged with multiple felonies “for their role in the alleged false electors scheme following the 2020 U.S. presidential election,” Nessel’s office announced. The counts include one count of conspiracy to commit forgery, two counts of forgery, one count of conspiracy to commit uttering and publishing and one count of uttering and publishing – all of which carry a maximum of 14 years in prison – as well as one count of conspiracy to commit election law forgery and two counts of election law forgery, which carry a maximum of five years in prison.
“There will be those who claim these charges are political in nature. But when there is overwhelming evidence of guilt in respect to multiple crimes, the most political act I could engage in as a prosecutor would be to take no action at all,” Nessel said.
:cheer:
I think it's safe to say few of these people will spend any time in prison, and there's a chance several of them may not live long enough to stand trial. There are two who are over 80. Six are in their 70s, five are in their 60s, and the youngest is 55. Of this group, Kathy Berden(70) and Meshawn Mattock(55) are GOP committee members. It's likely they were the recruiters of this early bird special get together and will certainly bear most of the responsibility.

What we know about the 16 fake electors charged in Michigan | CNN Politics
Their ages:
  • Amy Facchinello, 55
  • Meshawn Maddock, 55
  • Timothy King, 56
  • Mayra Rodriguez, 64
  • Mari-Ann Henry, 65
  • Ken Thompson, 68
  • Marian Sheridan, 69
  • Kent Vanderwood, 69
  • Kathy Berden, 70
  • Stanley Grot, 71
  • Hank Choate, 72
  • Michele Lundgren, 73
  • Clifford Frost, 75
  • James Renner, 76
  • Rose Rook, 81
  • John Haggard, 82

Someone rallied the troops by reaching out to the nearest nursing home.

Perhaps if some intrepid journalist asked DeSantis specifically, "What crimes are you considering pardoning them for, specifically? What crimes do you think they committed that need pardoning?"

That might be fun.

I'm not doing it. I don't want the kind of death threats, and such, honest journalists will get these days.
Tom
How was the Jury "rigged" that found them guilty, if frivolous or untrue? All of these claims by Trump and friends of being a victim of which hunters fail to explain how Federal grand juries, made up of random US citizens, and reviewed by both side's lawyers with the ability to reject those they don't trust, came to the conclusion that not only are they guilty of crimes, but that the crimes were significant and in need of serious sentencing? Please explain.

That might be fun.

Tom
How was the Jury "rigged" that found them guilty, if frivolous or untrue? All of these claims by Trump and friends of being a victim of which hunters fail to explain how Federal grand juries, made up of random US citizens, and reviewed by both side's lawyers with the ability to reject those they don't trust, came to the conclusion that not only are they guilty of crimes, but that the crimes were significant and in need of serious sentencing? Please explain.
Deep State. Rigged. Witch Hunt.
That’s how.

(If you don’t think that’s sufficient for more than half of the Republican electorate, you’re in for a disappointment.)

That might be fun.

Tom
The hypothetical question was addressed to DeathSantis, I was providing a hypothetical answer he might have given.

Proud Boy on house arrest in Jan. 6 case disappears ahead of sentencing

WASHINGTON (AP) — Authorities are searching for a member of the Proud Boys extremist group who disappeared days before his sentencing in a U.S. Capitol riot case, where prosecutors are seeking more than a decade in prison, according to a warrant made public Friday.

Christopher Worrell, 52, of Naples, Florida, was supposed to be sentenced Friday after being found guilty of spraying pepper spray gel on police officers, as part of the mob storming the Capitol as Congress was certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory on Jan. 6, 2021. Prosecutors had asked a judge to sentence him to 14 years.

The sentencing was canceled and a bench warrant for his arrest issued under seal on Tuesday, according to court records. The U.S. attorney’s office for Washington, D.C., encouraged the public to share any information about his whereabouts.

Back
Top Bottom