• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

Big problem here: "18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives".

1) The heart damage has been observed in those who weren't hospitalized.

2) We have no way of knowing if it's permanent or not at present.

Thus I must conclude that this data comes out of somebody's ass.

You're right. The word "permanent" has no actual evidence to support it.

It is worth noting, though, that there was a long term study of the medical professionals who were infected with the 2003 SARS corona virus. In 2006, three years after recovering, 23% of patients in that study had a reduced lung capacity and 34% had an impaired ability to absorb oxygen. In 2018, 15 years after infection, most patients had recovered from their reduced lung capacity but almost none had recovered from their impaired ability to absorb oxygen.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-020-0084-5

Yabut it's all "lingering and possibly permanent" as opposed to "permanent", so LET'S OPEN UP THE MOTHERFUCKING ECONOMY!!!

So say the fucking clowns in charge of this hapless nation.

Yes, I have been impacted by the coronavirus.

I am personally convinced that my sister and her husband were victims of this virus before it was a testable and widely known issue.

I know that my friend and her husband were confirmed victims of this virus recently.

Given my immune deficiency, I have been basically housebound for several months now as I live in an area where people refuse to take even the most minimal basic precautions against the spread of this. I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of times I have actually been out in public since the first of March.

My boss and I have recently had to discuss the fact that this virus has impacted his business, and it may cause me to lose my job in the near future given the loss of many of our client companies due to the related business downturn.

Having said all of that, I think that a great percentage of the general public is seriously underestimating the havoc that this virus is capable of causing. My personal belief is that not only are those people lacking in basic scientific knowledge – they are also lacking in basic human compassion.

I forgive them.

I will no longer let anger or bitterness overwhelm me. Those who seem to be unable to understand the seriousness of this situation have my pity. I am sorry that they are not capable of feeling the basic emotions of empathy or sympathy. I regret that they will likely find themselves victimized by the very virus that they think is a hoax or “just the flu”. I would not wish this virus on my worst enemy. I will do everything I can to prevent someone else from being accidentally infected by me, but that will not be enough. Some of them will still wind up being seriously affected by this virus, whether it be themselves or family/friends. Some of them will die. Some of them will be crippled for life. And this makes me very sad.

The world will be a lesser place with the loss of these people, no matter what their viewpoint is regarding the coronavirus. Some people just have a blind spot when it comes to certain topics and unfortunately in this case, their blind spot will cause great grief and loss to them and others.

You have my sympathy for the consequences you are likely to have to face completely unprepared. This is not sarcasm or deceit on my part; I honestly feel sorry for you.

Ruth

Yes, I have been impacted by the coronavirus.

I am personally convinced that my sister and her husband were victims of this virus before it was a testable and widely known issue.

I know that my friend and her husband were confirmed victims of this virus recently.

Given my immune deficiency, I have been basically housebound for several months now as I live in an area where people refuse to take even the most minimal basic precautions against the spread of this. I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of times I have actually been out in public since the first of March.

My boss and I have recently had to discuss the fact that this virus has impacted his business, and it may cause me to lose my job in the near future given the loss of many of our client companies due to the related business downturn.

Having said all of that, I think that a great percentage of the general public is seriously underestimating the havoc that this virus is capable of causing. My personal belief is that not only are those people lacking in basic scientific knowledge – they are also lacking in basic human compassion.

I forgive them.

I will no longer let anger or bitterness overwhelm me. Those who seem to be unable to understand the seriousness of this situation have my pity. I am sorry that they are not capable of feeling the basic emotions of empathy or sympathy. I regret that they will likely find themselves victimized by the very virus that they think is a hoax or “just the flu”. I would not wish this virus on my worst enemy. I will do everything I can to prevent someone else from being accidentally infected by me, but that will not be enough. Some of them will still wind up being seriously affected by this virus, whether it be themselves or family/friends. Some of them will die. Some of them will be crippled for life. And this makes me very sad.

The world will be a lesser place with the loss of these people, no matter what their viewpoint is regarding the coronavirus. Some people just have a blind spot when it comes to certain topics and unfortunately in this case, their blind spot will cause great grief and loss to them and others.

You have my sympathy for the consequences you are likely to have to face completely unprepared. This is not sarcasm or deceit on my part; I honestly feel sorry for you.

Ruth

Can't say the same, Ruth.
I found out a few days ago that my sister's daughter tested positive. Now my sister believes that she too had the disease in March, but cannot get an antibody test. Nor can the rest of he family get tested for infection until and unless they are already symptomatic.
It's an effin mess.
I am angry, and fresh out of fucks to give about the people who proudly "don't do pandemic" because Trump says it's going away.

I don't think people should necessarily have to understand the difficult math etc. involved in the science of epidemiology, but they damn well should be able to draw a difference between good and evil.
Anyone with more than two functioning neurons knows Trump is an asshole within twenty seconds of the first time they see and hear him. That's all. Fuck 'em.

You must be devastated. All these people in your life that have tragically been taken by Covid19 one way or another. I am so sorry for your loss.

Jesus Christ, now he's defending the sensless murder of senior citizens. [removed]

Or he's pointing out that post doesn't belong in this thread, which is supposed to be about how the virus has affeacted us personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be devastated. All these people in your life that have tragically been taken by Covid19 one way or another. I am so sorry for your loss.

Jesus Christ, now he's defending the sensless murder of senior citizens. Just, fuck you and your trash politics, man.

Or he's pointing out that post doesn't belong in this thread, which is supposed to be about how the virus has affeacted us personally.

His history of posts will tell the tale. But it’s a convenient exit ramp for a very low comment.

Eric Garcetti, mayor of Los Angeles, has "authorized" utilities to be cut off at a house where a bunch of kids were playing loud music and dancing. Well, having a gathering that was not state approved I guess;

Garcetti said:
Today I authorized the City to disconnect utility service at a house in the Hollywood Hills to stop the large parties held there in flagrant violation of our public health orders. Parties like these can quickly and easily spread the virus and put our communities at risk.

FoxLA

Meanwhile, across the city, county and the state, these clowns can't keep the electricity on !

Eric Garcetti, mayor of Los Angeles, has "authorized" utilities to be cut off at a house where a bunch of kids were playing loud music and dancing. Well, having a gathering that was not state approved I guess;

Garcetti said:
Today I authorized the City to disconnect utility service at a house in the Hollywood Hills to stop the large parties held there in flagrant violation of our public health orders. Parties like these can quickly and easily spread the virus and put our communities at risk.

FoxLA

Meanwhile, across the city, county and the state, these clowns can't keep the electricity on !

Said parties are a danger to everyone else. I rather like utility disconnects as an answer to covid misbehavior.

As for keeping the electricity on in general--people don't want to pay the higher rates it would take to have enough generation capacity for the extreme peaks.

Garcetti said:

FoxLA

Said parties are a danger to everyone else. I rather like utility disconnects as an answer to covid misbehavior.

As for keeping the electricity on in general--people don't want to pay the higher rates it would take to have enough generation capacity for the extreme peaks.

If they hadn't needlessly shut down San Onofre, there would have been no shortfall. The cost of keeping that facility open would have been minimal, and would have kept electricity prices low - certainly lower than the cost of the imports and peaker gas plants that were needed ever could. And the lights would have stayed on.

Still, the plan is to also shut Diabolo Canyon. Because irrational fears of impossible disasters are more important than real deaths and injuries due to blackouts. And because despite the evidence of their own eyes, these idiots STILL think you can run California on 100% renewables.

Why isn't face mask compulsory on all public transportation and in shops all over the world? I don't get it. What possible political hurdle could there be?

Why isn't face mask compulsory on all public transportation and in shops all over the world? I don't get it. What possible political hurdle could there be?

A lot of people don't want to wear masks. That's the hurdle.

A lot of people don't like taking baths. In spite of this that's not much of a problem on public transport. It's something deeper

A lot of people don't like taking baths. In spite of this that's not much of a problem on public transport. It's something deeper

Have you been to the US? Unbathed people is, in fact, a thing in public transport.

The last time I took a bus here in San Francisco, a guy started smoking crack and banging on the back of the bus and screaming. Someone told the bus driver and he just shrugged.

Although, San Francisco is one of the better places for mask wearing compliance. That, and the early social distancing measures likely explains why there have only been around 1200 cases and around 70 deaths.

Well, it may finally have come to my doorstep. One of my housemates is displaying symptoms, with a high fever last night. He's going to be getting tested today. If he comes back positive, my entire household will be quarantined for the next week, and hopefully my husband who has a weaker respiratory system than most, doesn't die. For that matter, hopefully I don't die either; I have had a walking pneumonia a few times now in my life.

If they hadn't needlessly shut down San Onofre, there would have been no shortfall. The cost of keeping that facility open would have been minimal, and would have kept electricity prices low - certainly lower than the cost of the imports and peaker gas plants that were needed ever could. And the lights would have stayed on.

Still, the plan is to also shut Diabolo Canyon. Because irrational fears of impossible disasters are more important than real deaths and injuries due to blackouts. And because despite the evidence of their own eyes, these idiots STILL think you can run California on 100% renewables.

Whether they shut down any given powerplant or not is irrelevant--they're going to build to handle the routine peaks but not the extremes.

(And shutting those plants down was probably a good thing--they were both on top of earthquake faults and never should have been built there in the first place.)

And America's idiocy is spreading to Europe.

America’s Alt-Right Is Fueling Europe’s Anti-Mask Protests
Hey! Why are Americans dying so much are we aren't?! It took the Internet about 20 years to fuck us all.

Back
Top Bottom