• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

As the virus affects the nervous system as well as just about everything else, is it possible some of these people's overreaction is due to damage done by the virus?

Yea, I know it is vain hope that their behavior is due in part to an illness and not just because they are that stupid/arrogant/self-interested. But when you start looking at some of those zombie parasites and fungus that change a creature's behavior in order to help its spreading to others, it is easy to imagine this pandemic being more of a horror movie than it already is.

As the virus affects the nervous system as well as just about everything else, is it possible some of these people's overreaction is due to damage done by the virus?

Yea, I know it is vain hope that their behavior is due in part to an illness and not just because they are that stupid/arrogant/self-interested. But when you start looking at some of those zombie parasites and fungus that change a creature's behavior in order to help its spreading to others, it is easy to imagine this pandemic being more of a horror movie than it already is.

Maybe some of the est. 6,564,000 who will have suffered cognitive impairment?

effects.jpg

I usually like to defer to unsourced meme claims, but how could anyone know there is permanent lung or heart damage? The disease is 8 months old.

How could anyone know there is permanent lung or heart damage? The disease is 8 months old.

Sure, but similar heart and lung damage from other causes has been around for a long while, and we know what kind of damage does and does not heal over time.

If a prototype factory machine tears your arm off, the doctors don't say "Well, we don't know whether or not it will grow back, because nobody's been injured by that kind of machine before".

But has any scientific medical source said so?

I just learned of the first confirmed cases among people that I consider friends. They did their best to follow pandemic guidelines but given the attitude of people in our area, it was basically a lost cause from the start once they were around someone who was infected. My hairdresser and her husband both were infected; both are in their 40's and very healthy people. She had a mild case, with only loss of smell and taste and never ran a fever. Her husband, however, was hospitalized for two weeks with a severe case. He has been told that there is likely long lasting damage to his lungs and heart. Since he works in construction this is a devastating blow to him, as it is probable he will never be able to work again as he is accustomed to working. My friend told me that he is suffering from serious depression and I can't blame him; I would be depressed too. It makes my heart hurt for these two people, as they are some of the nicest folks you would ever meet.

I don't want to hear anyone else talking about how this virus is not dangerous. I have had it with all of the conspiracy theory nonsense and self centered entitled brats who are not willing to take minimal precautions to save good people from having to deal with something like this. The flu does not do this - so stop saying it is an equivalent danger.

Ruth

The summer term has finished. Of my original 82 students, the final tally was four down with COVID-19 themselves, about twenty affected by the case of someone related to them. Not great numbers, thank god for distance ed.

Maybe some of the est. 6,564,000 who will have suffered cognitive impairment?

View attachment 28906

Big problem here: "18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives".

1) The heart damage has been observed in those who weren't hospitalized.

2) We have no way of knowing if it's permanent or not at present.

Thus I must conclude that this data comes out of somebody's ass.

Got a covid test today. If positive, I'll know in 24-48 hours. It's in preparation for a doctor visit next week. If it's negative, I won't hear anything and I'll just go to the appointment.

I've had a smattering of doctor appts this past few weeks and I find they all have different procedures in regard to the coronavirus.

Got a covid test today. If positive, I'll know in 24-48 hours. It's in preparation for a doctor visit next week. If it's negative, I won't hear anything and I'll just go to the appointment.

I've had a smattering of doctor appts this past few weeks and I find they all have different procedures in regard to the coronavirus.

Was the test as uncomfortable as I've been led to believe?

It could all be going pear-shaped in New Zealand; After more than 100 days with no community transmission, a family of four in Auckland, with no recent overseas travel history, and no known contact with any other cases, have tested positive.

One of those people travelled to the popular tourist town of Rotorua last week while symptomatic; Auckland has gone back into strict lockdown, and if any cases arise in Rotorua, that will likely be extended to the entire country.

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/4-cases-covid-19-unknown-source

Big problem here: "18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives".

1) The heart damage has been observed in those who weren't hospitalized.

2) We have no way of knowing if it's permanent or not at present.

Thus I must conclude that this data comes out of somebody's ass.

You're right. The word "permanent" has no actual evidence to support it.

It is worth noting, though, that there was a long term study of the medical professionals who were infected with the 2003 SARS corona virus. In 2006, three years after recovering, 23% of patients in that study had a reduced lung capacity and 34% had an impaired ability to absorb oxygen. In 2018, 15 years after infection, most patients had recovered from their reduced lung capacity but almost none had recovered from their impaired ability to absorb oxygen.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-020-0084-5

A friend's office in Copenhagen was shut down after a collegue at the office tests positive. Now they're all working from home and have to get tested.

It could all be going pear-shaped in New Zealand; After more than 100 days with no community transmission, a family of four in Auckland, with no recent overseas travel history, and no known contact with any other cases, have tested positive.

One of those people travelled to the popular tourist town of Rotorua last week while symptomatic; Auckland has gone back into strict lockdown, and if any cases arise in Rotorua, that will likely be extended to the entire country.

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/4-cases-covid-19-unknown-source

They do let about 400 a day into the country, "with special permits". So they do have known possible sources

They do let about 400 a day into the country, "with special permits". So they do have known possible sources

Those people are known, and are quarantined. The new cases are not known nor believed to have any contact with overseas arrivals.

The NZ government are currently looking at the possibility that the index case for this new outbreak might have contracted it from contaminated imported goods. Which seems implausible to me, but all other hypotheses seem even less plausible, and it has to have come from somewhere.

Ah well, it was bound to happen. Eldest kid, recently graduated has been gadding about town with friends. Attended a party a few weeks ago where apparently at least one of the attendees was Covid positive. Mild panic was spread as various households were affected. As time wore on, a few (I think three) of the crew tested positive. My kid had the test and was negative. My kid kept to themselves for a couple of weeks, holed up in their room but is back out and about as usual.

Man stabbed in Quality Dairy face mask dispute that led to police shooting has died

DIMONDALE, MI – A man who was stabbed inside a Quality Dairy store during an altercation over a face mask has died.

John Duncan III, 77, of Lansing was stabbed by Sean Ernest Ruis, 43, of Grand Ledge during the July 14 incident inside the Quality Dairy store at Lansing Road and North Canal Road in Dimondale. Duncan was wearing a mask, but Ruis was not.

Ruis, who stabbed Duncan before fleeing the store, was later shot and killed by an Eaton County Sheriff’s deputy. Michigan State Police released video of the shooting.

Man stabbed in Quality Dairy face mask dispute that led to police shooting has died

DIMONDALE, MI – A man who was stabbed inside a Quality Dairy store during an altercation over a face mask has died.

John Duncan III, 77, of Lansing was stabbed by Sean Ernest Ruis, 43, of Grand Ledge during the July 14 incident inside the Quality Dairy store at Lansing Road and North Canal Road in Dimondale. Duncan was wearing a mask, but Ruis was not.

Ruis, who stabbed Duncan before fleeing the store, was later shot and killed by an Eaton County Sheriff’s deputy. Michigan State Police released video of the shooting.

You must be devastated. All these people in your life that have tragically been taken by Covid19 one way or another. I am so sorry for your loss.

You must be devastated. All these people in your life that have tragically been taken by Covid19 one way or another. I am so sorry for your loss.
Human empathy, the top five ways to tell which people have it and which ones don't. Number 4 will shock you.

Jesus Christ, now he's defending the sensless murder of senior citizens. [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom