• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The World-O-Meter Thread

In the vein of Lpetrich's post above, I could not help noticing that among the "top ten" in today's sheet (sorted by new case#), there are three countries reporting deaths that are more than a tenth of their total reported cases. :(
Maybe my math is off, but I don't see one with that criteria. The highest is about 6 or 7 percent.

UK, Mexico, and Spain.

UK - 240,161 cases; a tenth of that would be 24,016 deaths; actual deaths are reportedly 34,466, which is 14.35% of total cases.

In the vein of Lpetrich's post above, I could not help noticing that among the "top ten" in today's sheet (sorted by new case#), there are three countries reporting deaths that are more than a tenth of their total reported cases. :(
Maybe my math is off, but I don't see one with that criteria. The highest is about 6 or 7 percent.

UK, Mexico, and Spain.

UK - 240,161 cases; a tenth of that would be 24,016 deaths; actual deaths are reportedly 34,466, which is 14.35% of total cases.

I knew the UK had testing problems, I didn't realize how bad.

UK, Mexico, and Spain.

Jebus! I’ve got to stop using Tapatalk. It is like I become incapable of processing words.

UK, Mexico, and Spain.

The UK is grossly under tested, but we know Johnson managed to fuck up more than Trump with reaction time.

UK, Mexico, and Spain.

The UK is grossly under tested, but we know Johnson managed to fuck up more than Trump with reaction time.

Yes, that ratio has much to do with test rates and the offset of the death an new case curves. It's the virus saying ignore me at your peril.

05-17

Sunday reporting... not quite as light on the US deaths as last Sunday, but not like a weekday.

WM05-17.JPG

05-18

Monday numbers. Looks like Texas is serious about maintaining its membership in the "K a Day" club (1000+ new cases per day).
As a whole USA is chugging along, secure in it's #1 ranking in multiple columns.

WM05-18.JPG

Merkel and Macron Propose E.U. Coronavirus Aid Fund - The New York Times - "Chancellor Angela Merkel agreed to a $545 billion pandemic recovery fund backed by borrowing by the entire bloc. It would be a major step toward greater European unity."
Faced with economic calamity and the threat of the coronavirus further fracturing the European Union, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany on Monday broke with decades of German economic orthodoxy and agreed to back the idea of collective European debt to help those countries that have been hit hardest by the pandemic.

If the other member states agree to the plan, it would be a major step toward a more unified Europe, and a sign that the pandemic might actually bring the bloc closer together instead of splintering it.

05-19

Another 1552 Americans reported dead today from COVID-19. 20K new cases.
Is this the acceptable death rate for the next six months?

WM05-19.JPG

View attachment 27785

Maybe?

ContentFileLoader.aspx

The benefit is better economy and less social chaos vs. long-term lock down. The culture in this country can't seem to handle a long-term lock down and we already have many violators of stay at home orders.

Might be worth it so long as most people continue to remain cautious and safety measures implemented at open businesses, at least until vaccine is ready.

View attachment 27785

Maybe?

ContentFileLoader.aspx

The benefit is better economy and less social chaos vs. long-term lock down. The culture in this country can't seem to handle a long-term lock down and we already have many violators of stay at home orders.

Might be worth it so long as most people continue to remain cautious and safety measures implemented at open businesses, at least until vaccine is ready.

Might be.

More likely the entire nation will, in a couple of months, be where New York City was in the second week of April.

Good luck.

View attachment 27785

Maybe?

ContentFileLoader.aspx

Might be.

More likely the entire nation will, in a couple of months, be where New York City was in the second week of April.

Good luck.

Based on what? There is partial reopening where I live, for example, because we've had almost no new cases in the past couple weeks (very few cases overall), better testing and better tracing in place, and better habits have been developed by individuals and businesses. How is it rational to stay shut down under those circumstances?

Here are the details

Phase I changes

Restaurants and bars can open for sit-down service: Requirements include 6 feet of social distancing; a limit of groups to parties of 10 or fewer; food and drink consumption must end by 10 p.m.; and workers are required to wear masks. See more details on the requirements

Barbers, salons and massage businesses can reopen: Requirements include social distancing; appointment-only; and a personal protective equipment and customer list. See more details on the requirements

Gyms and fitness centers can reopen: Requirements include a maximum gathering limit; social distancing; and sanitation. See more details on the requirements

In-person gatherings allowed: Up to 25 people, no travel

And

The counties that were approved for Phase 1 met the following prerequisites:

Showed a decline in COVID-19 or had fewer than 5 hospitalizations.

Had sufficient COVID-19 testing and contact tracing capability.

Established plans for the isolation and quarantine of new cases.

Have the hospital capacity to handle any surge in COVID-19 cases.

Have enough personal protective equipment for health care workers.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter: "Covid spread in Brazil is devastating. Southern Hemisphere faces mounting risk as they enter winter and covid perhaps settles into more seasonal pattern. Brazil has inadequate testing; and may be dramatically underreporting cases, hospitalizations, deaths. https://t.co/YDpd6MKKMG" / Twitter
noting
Brazil’s Nurses Are Dying as Covid-19 Overwhelms Hospitals - WSJ - "Medical staff lack equipment and are struggling against the coronavirus pandemic, as the government plays down the contagion"

It has a picture with caption "A nurse inside the intensive care unit of the field hospital Lagoa-Barra, in Rio de Janeiro, housing 200 patients infected with Covid-19. The field hospital opened three weeks ago, and its 200 beds have been occupied already."

Berta Herrero on Twitter: "Brazil has overtaken the UK to become the country with the third-highest number of confirmed coronavirus infections worldwide. Latin America’s largest economy has now recorded 254,220 cases, placing it behind only the US and Russia, and ahead of the UK https://t.co/i8icWsD9Px" / Twitter
noting
Brazil overtakes UK as country with third-highest coronavirus cases | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian
Brazil has overtaken the United Kingdom to become the country with the third-highest number of confirmed coronavirus infections, amid warnings from its former health minister that three painful months lie ahead.

Latin America’s largest economy has now recorded 254,220 cases, placing it behind only the United States and Russia, and ahead of the UK, which on Monday had 247,706.

Meanwhile, in Mexico – the region’s No 2 economy – allegations that Covid-19 deaths were being dramatically undercounted added fuel to an increasingly acrimonious political battle over the government’s response to the pandemic.

Brazil has officially suffered 16,792 Covid-19 deaths – the world’s sixth-highest number – although underreporting and low testing rates mean the true figure is likely to be considerably higher.

Mexico: coronavirus puts sudden stop to search for thousands missing | World news | The Guardian - "Families forced to halt hunt for nearly 62,000 who’ve vanished since ‘war on drugs’ began in 2006: ‘We can’t go out and search’"

Bloomberg QuickTake on Twitter: "Trump says he's considering a ban on travel from Brazil after it became the third country with the most cases of coronavirus https://t.co/WWF2RedYgy" / Twitter

The culture? You mean a small minority of loud mouth right-wing syncophants?

The disease was spreading, slowly, in the US with the soft shutdown. It'll get worse opening up, and honestly, just how much of the economy can reopen, when it is the crowded cities and suburbs and factories that are the economic engines for the country? Reopening services is going to be extremely hard in areas where people actually live, not where the idiot dumbass people that get egged on by fake Twitter accounts and President Trump live.

The culture? You mean a small minority of loud mouth right-wing syncophants?

Yes, that. And in some (mostly rural areas where such sycophants are common) places it will work out well, in the short term. That is fairly assured. The question is about what those places will look like come fall...

The disease was spreading, slowly, in the US with the soft shutdown. It'll get worse opening up, and honestly, just how much of the economy can reopen, when it is the crowded cities and suburbs and factories that are the economic engines for the country? Reopening services is going to be extremely hard in areas where people actually live, not where the idiot dumbass people that get egged on by fake Twitter accounts and President Trump live.

As long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed, "Let 'em Die" is the right wing mantra.
Once/if the smell of death starts permeating the cities, it might be a different tune.

Back
Top Bottom