• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

We had solar panels installed yesterday, and today I had a phone call from someone who was supposed to contact us 4 weeks ago to provide a quote!
Why’d you do that? You should’ve waited until after the eclipse! Now you won’t get your money’s worth!
Just before I left I contacted a few mobs about a battery. They all responded but would only discuss panels, no matter how specific I got.

We had solar panels installed yesterday, and today I had a phone call from someone who was supposed to contact us 4 weeks ago to provide a quote!
Why’d you do that? You should’ve waited until after the eclipse! Now you won’t get your money’s worth!
We are expecting cloud and rain for the next week!

• Sympathy
Reactions: SLD
That reminds me of why I hate solar powered calculators: They don't have off switches, so they waste light.

Just before I left I contacted a few mobs about a battery. They all responded but would only discuss panels, no matter how specific I got.
Mobs? Well, you call guys named Tony, Paulie, and Silvio, you get whatever falls off the back of the truck.

I wouldn't have a battery anywhere close to my house. High energy densities are asking for fires; Strapping a battery to your house is a daft as strapping jerry cans full of petrol to it.

Sure, it probably won't burn the place to the ground, if nothing goes wrong. But then, it probably won't pay for itself within its safe working lifespan, either - and in a couple of decades, the 'burbs will be full of tired old batteries that people haven't maintained properly. It's a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't have a battery anywhere close to my house. High energy densities are asking for fires; Strapping a battery to your house is a daft as strapping jerry cans full of petrol to it.

Sure, it probably won't burn the place to the ground, if nothing goes wrong. But then, it probably won't pay for itself within its safe working lifespan, either - and in a couple of decades, the 'burbs will be full of tired old batteries that people haven't maintained properly. It's a recipe for disaster.
My brother attached a battery to his solar panel system. The battery cost ten grand. I don't see how that will ever bring a return on the investment.

What I REALLY want is that Nissan Leaf technology where you can use your car battery to power your house when the sun is down.

It's currently only in S.A.

Thinking of holding out until that comes to Vic.

Also asking around about capacitive storage. 10 years ago they said that would be on the market in 5 years, but it looks as if it came to nothing. (or it could pop up tomorrow)

I wouldn't have a battery anywhere close to my house. High energy densities are asking for fires;
I've had a gas stove and gas heat. Batterys can't scare me.

I'm looking through the listings on the Roku channel.
in the 'history' catagory they've got a LEGOs version of 'The Passion'.
WTF.
A bible story
played by LEGO characters
labeled as 'history'?

My brother attached a battery to his solar panel system. The battery cost ten grand. I don't see how that will ever bring a return on the investment.
Our system cost $10k, and we figure it will pay for itself in around 3 - 4 years given our current electricity consumption.

I wouldn't have a battery anywhere close to my house. High energy densities are asking for fires;

I'm looking through the listings on the Roku channel.
in the 'history' catagory they've got a LEGOs version of 'The Passion'.
WTF.
A bible story
played by LEGO characters
labeled as 'history'?
How else are you going to start the indoctrination and brainwashing of little kids into believing in God? To me, it’s no different to the Little Golden Books with bible stories that were produced when I was a kid.

Lotta training first, but I finally got to jump out of an airplane.

I spread my arms and legs and arched my back, like they taught me.
I pulled my main ripcord, like they taught me.
I waited for the impact of my chute opening, like they taught me.
But that didn't happen.
So I pulled my backup ripcord, like they taught me.
Again, nothing happened.
I didn't know what to do next, because they hadn't taught me anything for after that.
But then I saw this fella going the other way.
I said, "Hey, do you know anything about parachutes?"
He said, "No. Do you know anything about gasoline camp stoves?"

Our system cost $10k, and we figure it will pay for itself in around 3 - 4 years given our current electricity consumption.
Yeah, but that's because we will mostly use the electricity generated by the system, in real time.

If our consumption pattern was more typical, we would have a much longer ROI; But buying an expensive battery would do little to help - and might even make things worse.

In our case, we plan to do very little overproduction, so a battery would never get charged - unless we bought even more panels.

Here's our generation and consumption for yesterday, which was a lovely sunnly day with just a few small clouds in the afternoon:

IMG_1355.jpeg

Very few households use 40+ kWh/day; And even fewer have a demand curve that is so closely matched to the insolation curve.

I suspected that our demand would be a fair match for insolation, but I am pleasantly surprised at just how well it fits.

Without solar, our bill for yesterday would be 47.61kWh at 31.724c/kWh, for a total of $15.10

With solar, it will be 12.02kWh at 31.724c/kWh for a subtotal of $3.81, plus a feed-in of 15.82kWh at -5c/kWh, for a subtotal of -$0.79; That's a final total of $3.02, or a saving of $12.08 which can go towards the capital cost of the system.

That gives an 837 day ROI (ignoring the cost of capital, and the fixed connection charges), which is about two years and three months; But capital isn't free, so there's about another 180 days to pay the interest, for a total ROI of closer to two years and ten months.

BUT - yesterday was a particularly sunny day. Not every day is that sunny, even in Brisbane. Hence 3-4 years ROI, as a guesstimate. It depends on how sunny it is, and on our ongoing power usage continuing to match the pattern of insolation.

Without storage, we save ~$12/day (on a good day); With storage, we could maybe save a further ~$4, but saving that extra $4 comes at the expense of doubling the initial capital cost.

The solar system pays for itself in about 4 years; The battery would take around 12 years (it costs about the same, but saves only a third of the dollars) - which is pretty much the lifespan of a modern household battery system. So by the time it pays for itself, it needs replacing.

Last edited:

I actually wouldn't worry too much about a battery--the outside of our house is stucco. Even if a battery goes up it's going to have a hard time actually lighting anything on fire. In the garage, though--that I wouldn't want. Ideal would be in a metal shed.

My brother's battery is in the unattached pole barn away from the house.

Back
Top Bottom