• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I think you will find that the correct spelling is 'yawl'. It is a kind of sailing vessel, like a ketch, but with the mizzen mast set farther aft. You're welcome.
All my ships had 8 to 14 masts, but only one sail.

But i've seen bar fights start in Georgia over whether 'you all' could be used to denote a single person.

I think you will find that the correct spelling is 'yawl'. It is a kind of sailing vessel, like a ketch, but with the mizzen mast set farther aft. You're welcome.
All my ships had 8 to 14 masts, but only one sail.

But i've seen bar fights start in Georgia over whether 'you all' could be used to denote a single person.

Oh boy, my brother and I have been involved in a dispute for over 30 years over biscuits, so it can happen.

Targeted advertising at its best - LinkedIn just advised me that there is a job opening they think would be ideal for me; I must say I agree wholeheartedly, but somehow I suspect that Suncoast Christian College would not want me as their new Head of Science.

I reckon I could make a big impression there though. :D

So, my oldest child, who's now 25, was once 5yo. His brothers were each <1yo.
I let Oldest stay up late one night to watch Blazing Saddles. I thought he would enjoy the broader humor, like pretty much anything Mongo did.
I did warn him that there were certain bad words and that he shouldn't use them. He agreed. He even pointed out 'That's a bad word, daddy?' 'Yep.'

The next day, i dropped the kids off at Kindercare. Jacksonville was running an odd year-round school schedule experiment. Different schools closed for vacations at different times of the year. It worked out that Oldest was the only child of his age group that was no in school that day. So his class went off on the bus, he stayed and helped the teachers witih the other, younger classes.

So when i pull up that afternoon to take them home, the entire playground of four-year-olds ran up to the fence and shouted 'Where da white wimmin at?'
I couldn't kill Oldest right there on the spot because the director was apologizing to me about it, and not knowing who started it or WHERE they learned this, but she took full responsibility. I thanked her and ran...

So, my oldest child, who's now 25, was once 5yo. His brothers were each <1yo.
I let Oldest stay up late one night to watch Blazing Saddles. I thought he would enjoy the broader humor, like pretty much anything Mongo did.
I did warn him that there were certain bad words and that he shouldn't use them. He agreed. He even pointed out 'That's a bad word, daddy?' 'Yep.'

The next day, i dropped the kids off at Kindercare. Jacksonville was running an odd year-round school schedule experiment. Different schools closed for vacations at different times of the year. It worked out that Oldest was the only child of his age group that was no in school that day. So his class went off on the bus, he stayed and helped the teachers witih the other, younger classes.

So when i pull up that afternoon to take them home, the entire playground of four-year-olds ran up to the fence and shouted 'Where da white wimmin at?'
I couldn't kill Oldest right there on the spot because the director was apologizing to me about it, and not knowing who started it or WHERE they learned this, but she took full responsibility. I thanked her and ran...

Good story! I love Blazing Saddles. Reminds me of when I went sledding with my 2 year old nephew one early December in Yosemite about 20 years ago. We went down a small hill together on a tobagon, and at the end, I (stupidly) said, "That was bitchin'!" Not a word I normally use, but it just popped in my head at the moment. And me being a bachelor and not having been exposed to kids much, underestimated the "sponge brain" of a 2 year old boy. Sure enough, at Christmas, he's opening packages in front of me, his mom, grandparents, uncles, etc and blurts out after opening one present, "Woah.... bitchin'!". Everyone starting laughing, and my sister sternly (and also somewhat embarrassed and laughing at the same time) asks him, "Where did you learn that word?!" He points at me and says, "Uncle James!" Who soon became "Uncle Mud" for the night.

Mine was four.
We drove down to pick up Mommy from work. i got cut-off on the freeway. I don't clearly remember it.
Picked her up, drove back, got cut-off once more. "MORON!" I shouted.
"No, Daddy, He's a sock-fucking bastard," the helpful soul in the back seat corrects me. FOR SOME REASON, the wife looks straight at ME.
"Man," i say, "the things he picks up at day care...."
"The Baptists don't tend to use submariner swear words."
"They will after tomorrow," I said, not improving my lot in life to the slightest degree....

Background: I live in Orange County, California, which is about the whitest place you can live, and we are white.

When my boys were about four and five, they were riding in the cart as I left the grocery store. We had been watching a Los Angeles Lakers game earlier on TV, so as the cart went past two African-American teenage boys, one points and calls out, "Look, Daddy! There's some basketball players!"

One night at dinner my 8 year old starts trotting out "yo' Mama" jokes he has picked up somewhere. I say, sternly, "young man, those jokes might be appropriate at recess, but not at the table with your Mother." The next day I get a call from the school, seems that my son has been involved in a fight with another boy during recess . . . .

Caught a comment in a chat room.
"Winter is the Justin Bieber of seasons. It's cute when it first shows up, but pretty soon it's just grating and you wish it'd just stayed in Canada."

So my wife is grading her students' vocabulary. They define the word and write a sentence using the word.
One wrote "He used the periscope to see under the water." Technically possible, i said.

We had an Officer of the Deck one day who wanted a look around and ordered them to raise the periscope. Everyone was really interested in what he saw. He reported that it was very dark up top.
He asked for the local time. It was noon.
He asked sonar of there was a storm topside. Nope, all quiet on sonar.
So he concluded that it just must be very, very overcast that day.

That's when the diving officer asked if he ever planned to come up to Periscope Depth... That's shallow enough for the periscope to actually stick up out of the water, not just about half-way to the surface like they were doing right then.
The OOD's response was a little on the crude side.

"Winter is the Justin Bieber of seasons. It's cute when it first shows up, but pretty soon it's just grating and you wish it'd just stayed in Canada."

This is funny, even for someone who loves winter and doesn't know for sure what a Justin Bieber is.

This is funny, even for someone who loves winter and doesn't know for sure what a Justin Bieber is.

This is funny, even for someone who loves winter and doesn't give a flying fuck who Justin Bieber is. :D

My classroom helpers came home with us today.

10456250_341826465988965_3561643033155219732_n.jpg

We had to make sure they were appropriately restrained..

I just read Cary Elwes' book about the making of the Princess Bride. A wonderful story about a group working to tell a wonderful story. lots of humor in it.

One of my favorite parts was that all the actors did their own swordfighting. None had a fencing background, so they trained constantly to get their parts down for the shooting.
Mandy Patinkin was a little...intense. He plays Inigo Montoya, the character running around obsessed with avenging the death of his father. Well, Mandy's father had died a few years before this. So as he was trying connect with his character, flesh it out, make him real, he ended up imagining that if he defeated Christopher Guest, whose character (the six-fingered man) killed his character's father, then he, Mandy, would have defeated the cancer that killed HIS father.
So they go through all this training, choreographing two major sword battles. In rehersal just before they filmed his fight with Guest, he managed to stab Guest in the thigh. Guest was okay about it, accidents happen, it wouldn't prevent him from filming the fight. But he went to the sword master of the movie and said, "I think he's going to kill me." So he decided that he'd ignore everything that they'd put together, rehersed and so on, and just spend his time concentrating on defending himself.
So that desperation in his eyes, as the fight progresses? That's not all acting...

Found an image I wanted to post in the Images thread, but it's a facebook link which won't work here. Instead of going to the trouble of saving it and uploading it to photobucket, I thought I'd see if Google Images had it. It's an image of Taylor Swift that says "More people have been murdered by Taylor Swift fans than have died from ebola."

Google says, "Did you mean: more murdered by taylor swift fans that died of ebola"?

Apparently a symptom of ebola is murderous rampage before you die?

Back
Top Bottom