• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump and neocons started War with Iran in order to win elections?

A friend has a son that enlisted two weeks ago. He failed out of boot camp for inability to meet the physical requirement of the 1.5 mile run.
I wonder if his recruiter has called him back, offering to spot him five minutes on the run?

I know fuck all about the US military, but wouldn't the first tactic be to entice all the experienced enlisted near the end of their tours to stay rather than lower standards for new recruits?

Trump tweets all is well. I guess raining hellfire will wait until darkness falls again.

No one is expecting the outcome of this to be a beachhead invasion of the mainland. That reminds me, weren't you the guy who was really concerned about getting involved in endless conflict in the Middle East? Why so cavalier about fallout from this assassination?

I acknowledge that since we are there, doing this will probably add gas to the fire. I also oppose us being there.

See below to my response to Derec.

You failed to support your claim.

And you, as it seems too familiar, dodged the point...

There was a point buried in that? Perhaps you dodged making a point.

You failed to support your claim.

Looks pretty much supported to me.

Try "Hooked on Phonics".

So Iran is attacking a US base in Iraq. US will have to respond in some way. This could get very spicy very soon. Or it could fizzle. We'll see.

U.S. base in Iraq comes under attack from missiles, Iran claims credit

You do realize it would be a LOT harder for Iranian missiles to hit US bases in Iraq if there weren't any US bases in Iraq.

And what do you suggest for somebody not to be a "warhawk"? Just do nothing when US bases are under attack?

Not have the bases there?

This post illustrates how short-sighted and easily manipulated right-wingers are. Their hatred of Muslims can't allow them to see a deliberate escalation.

Deliberate escalation was on the part of Iran. Last year they downed our drone and attacked Saudi oil facilities. Then this year they attacked our base, killing a contractor. Then, and only then did we target Soleimani. Then they respond by shooting dozens of missiles. US has shown incredible restraint.

But to leftists like you US is always the bad guy, no matter the facts.

This post illustrates how short-sighted and easily manipulated right-wingers are. Their hatred of Muslims can't allow them to see a deliberate escalation.

Deliberate escalation was on the part of Iran. Last year they downed our drone and attacked Saudi oil facilities. Then this year they attacked our base, killing a contractor. Then, and only then did we target Soleimani. Then they respond by shooting dozens of missiles. US has shown incredible restraint.

You seem to have no sense of perspective or capacity to actually understand what people are saying. This isn't one of your posts about some community college's administration. We just got impulsively pulled into a hot conflict if not worse with no plan. Nearly the whole country of Iran is united against the US, and the regime has supporters they didn't before. Troops are getting deployed or redirected from their prior mission. It's only a matter of time before people are going to end up dead because of this. This isn't some contractor, or an airstrike against some random base. That you seem incapable of understanding this while trying to 'win the argument' just undermines any sense of charity anyone should give your arguments.

And your impugning other people's patriotism is detestable. You're not committing any resources, and you don't have anything of value at stake in any of this - your words are hollow.

This shit goes back decades. Right wingers on both sides are guilty. We need more liberal minded people in the US AND Iran. I've been talking about this a long time while the usual suspects have been whining about Ghostbusters and imagined affronts from identity politics.

Last edited:
Regarding Ukrainian passenger plane. I wonder if anyone checked the timing and compared to these ballistic missiles.
It all looks suspicious and too coincidental. Plane was only 3 years old and appears to crashed without much warning.

OK, never mind, there was almost 4 hours between attack and crash and it crashed right after taking off.
Still, iranians can't get a break, stampede and now thsi crash.

How many opponents have North Korea or South Korea killed over the past few decades, without it having to devolve back into a full blown war?

There is something about the people that want punishment. They feel like they won't be able to breath again until someone gets punished. The reality is that sometimes it isn't worth the cost. We know Derec wouldn't pay a dime of the cost with a shooting war with Iran... I mean except at the gas pump.

Trump speaks this morning... and then we wait for the next nightfall and see what happens. Granted, we are technically waiting for confirmation regarding the results of this strike.

I think dems lost an opportunity to bash Trump with trying to start a war to distract from his impeachment and to get himself re-elected. That should've been the narrative from the moment Suleimani bit the dust.

I think dems lost an opportunity to bash Trump with trying to start a war to distract from his impeachment and to get himself re-elected. That should've been the narrative from the moment Suleimani bit the dust.

The "Iranians" are probably going to assassinate John Bolton anyway for revenge.

President Ellipsis said:
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq.
So, is this was safer looks like? What is incredible is that we still really haven't had any info out of DC regarding the attack. I can appreciate not knowing in the middle of the night and waiting for a thorough review, but we are well past the attack now, and still nothing. Not a "the missiles all missed" or "there was minimal damage" or "*anything*". Is this more of Trump's bullshit shownmanship?

Meanwhile, from US Ambassador to Israel, we have these chilling words.
article said:
Our military is by far the strongest in the world, and our cause is just. We pray to God that we will prevail overwhelmingly and without loss of innocent life, and I am confident, that with our president’s leadership, we will defeat the great threats of our time and bring about a more just and more peaceful world.
These aren't words of deescalation.

You can't understand the fact that things can go wrong and consequently not have the intended outcome?
Yeah, I can understand that. But I would argue that it was a fucked up idea to blow Libya to smithereens w/o an end game (longer term) plan to make it better. And I'm still not sure how you think Libya, was anything other than a total fuck up

You seriously believe that it's better to invade a country like we did in Iraq, with a hundred thousand troops--and all of the "shock and awe" that must precede it--that results in the deaths, maiming and displacement of millions of completely innocence men, women and children as opposed to strategically targeted drone strikes that are far more accurate and result in dramatically less collateral damage?
I believe it was a seriously fucked up idea to invade and occupy Iraq.

I don't want either, of course, but if you're saying 100,000 innocents killed vs. 1,000, I'd have to go with 1,000.
I don't argue that drone are inherently bad. For example, what the US did with bombers in SE Asia was of course far worse and monstrous.

Agreed. But you can't expect the Democrats to be competent, just as you can't expect the Republicans to be moral.

I read that the general the US assassinated was responsible in large part for defeating Isis. Is that true?

I also heard that his core mission statement was to get foreign powers and influence, especially the USA, out of Iran. Can hardly blame him for being the monster he was given that the USA has literally surrounded his country. Yes, he did murderous things, but it's still very hard to see the US as the good guys here, especially now that Trump is threatening war crimes. Is it any wonder that they call USA the "Great Satan"?

It is also pretty hilarious when the US talking heads try to pretend that Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan/North Korea are threats to the US. The reverse is the truth, and justifies Iran seeking nuclear weapons.

If China / Russia bombed and invaded and installed military bases in both Canada and Mexico and then assassinated US generals with drones, and then threatened to blow up 52 targets within the US including cultural non-military ones..... And then called the US the aggressor.... Lol

The rest of the world should consider standing united with sanctions against the US.

Regarding Ukrainian passenger plane. I wonder if anyone checked the timing and compared to these ballistic missiles.
It all looks suspicious and too coincidental. Plane was only 3 years old and appears to crashed without much warning.

OK, never mind, there was almost 4 hours between attack and crash and it crashed right after taking off.
Still, iranians can't get a break, stampede and now this crash.

Another theory, Iranians mistook it for american response to their attack of US base in Iraq and shot it down.

Back
Top Bottom