• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump falls!! Hurt too

Or 3. He was rushed, having seen that he was being surveilled and guys were coming up on the roof...
#1 would have required a death wish. Intent would be difficult to discern, but given the history, the result he got may well have been it.
I do think he must have had a death wish, you can't hope to shoot at the president from the open and survive.
Assuming that, it’s an easy jump to “he didn’t miss”. What more sacrifice for the greater good could be asked of a person?

These are the types of atrocities that are emergent upon the acceptance of absurdities.

Does this make sense to anyone? I've been on a shit ton of roofs, (both high and low slope) and the roof the sniper was on was on the low slope side, for sure. The sniper was able to get on it easily enough and set up a rifle, but it was "too scary" for the SS?

Secret Service boss blames ‘sloped roof’ for not putting sniper team on building used by would-be Trump assassin
The sniper almost certainly expected to die. A bit of risk from a sloped roof wouldn't mean much. That's very different than the risk the agents would be taking because they would be taking it over and over and over.

If someone is deliberately shot at, it will be either a hit or a miss. The chance of a minor graze is phenomenally lucky if this was a genuine shot.
Statistics from wars suggest that this is nonsense. For every fatality, there are typically ten injuries requiring hospitalisation, and fifty minor injuries so trivial that the recipients barely even notice them at the time.

Guns are not magic, and don't work in reality the way they work in Hollywood.

The chance of a minor injury, either from the bullet, or from spalling off nearby objects hit by a round that missed its target, is far higher than you imagine.
The thing is it supposedly passed right past his head. The head is a lot wider than the tip of his ear. The area in which it could inflict a very minor wound is very small.
The thing is that the bullet isn't the only thing that is flying around.

FFS, don't bother replying until you have read and thought about the post, with specific consideration to whether your kneejerk objection has already been addressed. You are wasting your time and mine.
Compare the cross section of his head vs the cross section of his ear seen edge on. If the bullet isn't accurate the area that's a kill is far greater than the area that's a graze and the odds go with the ratio of the areas (assuming it's not a clean miss.) Even if you look farther from the obvious aim point most of the exposed part of his body is going to be a kill.

If it's spalling it doesn't really matter as it's unlikely to be a dangerous wound no matter what it hits.

A gifted NYT article with details of the security procedures.

Thought here--I can't picture the Secret Service leaving him up on stage with a suspected sniper about. Thus I strongly suspect he refused to leave because of threats.

Secret Service boss blames ‘sloped roof’ for not putting sniper team on building used by would-be Trump assassin

Embattled Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle says she has no plans to resign, even after the stunning revelation that the agency decided not to guard the roof from which Thomas Crooks opened fire on former President Donald Trump because it was too slanted.

“That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there’s a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn’t want to put somebody up on a sloped roof,” she told ABC News in a startling admission.

And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside,” she told the outlet.

I get that people will try to make up excuses to cover up their mishandling of a situation. Usually, though, they're smart enough to try something that has at least a little plausibility to it. This is a major...WTF?

Unbelievable she won't resign. Well, not really I suppose.
That all makes sense if she and her superiors know it wasn't her fault and know whose fault it was in DHS, who told her she could keep her job if she played ball. If the real reason the building wasn't secured is because the protection detail was short-handed because DHS had made a political decision to skimp on Trump protection, then everyone who knows that will privately be under intense pressure to not say that. "Sloping roof" is the sort of thing someone would say who was told to think up an excuse that wouldn't be pinned on her bosses.

A man was killed, a couple of people seriously injured and but for some luck a former president nearly got his head blown off on her watch. Even if she was denied the resources to do her job properly, that would be reason enough to resign for most people.

A gifted NYT article with details of the security procedures.

Thought here--I can't picture the Secret Service leaving him up on stage with a suspected sniper about. Thus I strongly suspect he refused to leave because of threats.

Was SS seen talking to him before the shot?

Or he did leave…after the double took his place.

Wheee! This is fun!
I've seen this on WWE. Kurt Angle went down to the ring right before Wrestlemania to wrestle Brock Lesnar. The lights went down for Lesnar's entrance, and Angle swapped places with his brother who looked moderately like him. So Trump felt his ear, dropped down, Secret Service conveniently covers over him, and then Trump switches places with the "shot" Trump who already bladed his ear. They got so lucky there turned out to be an actual sniper to make it look so much more real!

We probably should stop before this becomes like the Flat Earth trolling movement.

Or 3. He was rushed, having seen that he was being surveilled and guys were coming up on the roof...
#1 would have required a death wish. Intent would be difficult to discern, but given the history, the result he got may well have been it.
I do think he must have had a death wish, you can't hope to shoot at the president from the open and survive.
You can hope for anything you like.

Stupid people don't necessarily think ahead, and if they do, they don't necessarily reach correct conclusions, even if these seem obvious to less stupid observers.

I think he both hoped and expected to become famous and adored as the elite marksman who killed both candidates for the 2024 election, and was never caught; He planned to become an international man of mystery, touring the world as a wealthy and redpected hit-man, getting tons of girls and driving supercars, and leaving his school bullies in awe at his greatness, and deeply ashamed at their failure to recognise it.

Stupid people, particularly those who own magical artefacts, such as the mythical and invincible AR-15, can very easily build up such hopes.

I think it is much more likely that a loner who was rejected by even gun peers wanted to make a point. He got to a position to do as such because security was not as effective because of a ton of false negatives on security and candidate/President security.
Public shootings are usually a form of suicide. A nobody who chooses to die in infamy rather than continue to be a nobody. I see no reason to think this is any different.
Sure, but that's only because you lack the inagination and empathy to put yourself in the shoes of a loser with a gun fetish.

If someone is deliberately shot at, it will be either a hit or a miss. The chance of a minor graze is phenomenally lucky if this was a genuine shot.
Statistics from wars suggest that this is nonsense. For every fatality, there are typically ten injuries requiring hospitalisation, and fifty minor injuries so trivial that the recipients barely even notice them at the time.

Guns are not magic, and don't work in reality the way they work in Hollywood.

The chance of a minor injury, either from the bullet, or from spalling off nearby objects hit by a round that missed its target, is far higher than you imagine.
The thing is it supposedly passed right past his head. The head is a lot wider than the tip of his ear. The area in which it could inflict a very minor wound is very small.
The thing is that the bullet isn't the only thing that is flying around.

FFS, don't bother replying until you have read and thought about the post, with specific consideration to whether your kneejerk objection has already been addressed. You are wasting your time and mine.
Compare the cross section of his head vs the cross section of his ear seen edge on. If the bullet isn't accurate the area that's a kill is far greater than the area that's a graze and the odds go with the ratio of the areas (assuming it's not a clean miss.) Even if you look farther from the obvious aim point most of the exposed part of his body is going to be a kill.

If it's spalling it doesn't really matter as it's unlikely to be a dangerous wound no matter what it hits.
It WASN'T a dangerous wound. :rolleyesa:

Therefore, it probably wasn't caused by a bullet, but instead by fragments of something the bullet hit.

I know you aren't this stupid; Why not stop digging that hole you put yourself in?

Or he did leave…after the double took his place.

Wheee! This is fun!
I've seen this on WWE. Kurt Angle went down to the ring right before Wrestlemania to wrestle Brock Lesnar. The lights went down for Lesnar's entrance, and Angle swapped places with his brother who looked moderately like him. So Trump felt his ear, dropped down, Secret Service conveniently covers over him, and then Trump switches places with the "shot" Trump who already bladed his ear. They got so lucky there turned out to be an actual sniper to make it look so much more real!

We probably should stop before this becomes like the Flat Earth trolling movement.
Jet fuel cannot melt a flat Earth!!1!one!!

Therefore, it probably wasn't caused by a bullet, but instead by fragments of something the bullet hit.
Sticking to the tiny razor blade in his hand.
Anyone seen the actual cleaned up bare wound? I bet it’s a tiny laceration.

Am I the only one struck by the eerie parallels to the November 1963 JFK “assassination,” in which Kennedy, punching his own head in a classic wrestling move, overdid it, and punched his fist all the way out the back of his skull?

Back
Top Bottom