• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

Wasn't 1930s Germany a democracy when it elected Hitler?

Sort of, but not a very healthy or robust one.

And the status quo in the US, with its GOP intransigence and obstruction of anything not proposed by them*; is that robust or healthy?

*As exemplified by their rejection of Obama's SCOTUS nominees before he has even nominated anyone

And the status quo in the US, with its GOP intransigence and obstruction of anything not proposed by them*; is that robust or healthy?

*As exemplified by their rejection of Obama's SCOTUS nominees before he has even nominated anyone

Can somebody just start a thread in politics titled:

"What in the literal fuck is going on in the US?"

Wasn't 1930s Germany a democracy when it elected Hitler?

And would you use either of those words to describe the state of US politics today?

- - - Updated - - -

Post WW1 Germany was awash in Communist revolts, battles between Communists and the Frei Corps, putsches and attempted coups, assassinations and street battles. Indeed hardly robust.

Ya, but that was because the Jews were trying to tear apart the society for the sake of evil.

And would you use either of those words to describe the state of US politics today?

- - - Updated - - -

Post WW1 Germany was awash in Communist revolts, battles between Communists and the Frei Corps, putsches and attempted coups, assassinations and street battles. Indeed hardly robust.

Ya, but that was because the Jews were trying to tear apart the society for the sake of evil.

Yep!

Relative to Germany in 1929-32, democracy in the US is noticeably healthier. That doesn't mean we don't have plenty of room for improvement.

Big difference been is the fact Hitler led a dictatorship. America is a democracy.

So you imply that he is not a sad commentary on the state of the American right-wing? That, because he is anti-Latino and anti-Muslim, and not anti-Jewish, and because America is a democracy, his lies and half-truths are OK and are happy and hopeful sign?

No. I say Trump is more bluster than action. Should he somehow become President of the richest, biggest democracy on earth, he would be nothing like his present bluster would suggest.

Haven't we got the exact same thing here in Australia? Anything proposed by the opposite party is strongly opposed by the opposite party! Meanwhile Australia goes down the gurgler!

Haven't we got the exact same thing here in Australia? Anything proposed by the opposite party is strongly opposed by the opposite party! Meanwhile Australia goes down the gurgler!

Sadly all too true.

So you imply that he is not a sad commentary on the state of the American right-wing? That, because he is anti-Latino and anti-Muslim, and not anti-Jewish, and because America is a democracy, his lies and half-truths are OK and are happy and hopeful sign?

No. I say Trump is more bluster than action. Should he somehow become President of the richest, biggest democracy on earth, he would be nothing like his present bluster would suggest.
Which is one more reason to toss onto the heap as to why he is unsuitable for the office. No one knows where the heck he actually stands anymore... I mean other than being Pro-Trump and probably putting some gold trim on the White House... I mean Trump House.

Which is one more reason to toss onto the heap as to why he is unsuitable for the office. No one knows where the heck he actually stands anymore... I mean other than being Pro-Trump and probably putting some gold trim on the White House... I mean Trump House.

Better somebody whom you do not know where he stands then somebody like Cruz you can take at his word but the word is rotten to the core.

Bloomberg is out.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/michael-bloomberg-third-party-220394

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced on Monday that he will not mount a presidential run this year, saying he doesn't want to pave the way for Donald Trump or Ted Cruz to win the White House.

"As the race stands now, with Republicans in charge of both Houses, there is a good chance that my candidacy could lead to the election of Donald Trump or Senator Ted Cruz. That is not a risk I can take in good conscience," Bloomberg said in an editorial written for Bloomberg View.

56d9efed1e0000b300703577.png

Interesting, many GOP voters may vote Democratic or stay home, or aren't sure what they'd do.
This seems especially in play if Trump wins, which he probably will. Now, how to square this with the fact that voter turnout in the GOP primaries has reached new heights.

Random question. How do the parties get away with holding places for citizens to vote at tax payer paid for locations like fire departments and public schools? For the general election, I can see, as it's a government function, but these parties have no legitimate place using local government resources to their avail for all these non-government related voting activities.

I worded it that way in hopes of someone setting me straight. Still trying to increase my grip on all this stuff :)

Random question. How do the parties get away with holding places for citizens to vote at tax payer paid for locations like fire departments and public schools? For the general election, I can see, as it's a government function, but these parties have no legitimate place using local government resources to their avail for all these non-government related voting activities.

I worded it that way in hopes of someone setting me straight. Still trying to increase my grip on all this stuff :)

One partial answer to this would be that, in states with an initiative or referendum process, a primary ballot may also include voting on such measures. So it's not an either/or thing.

One partial answer to this would be that, in states with an initiative or referendum process, a primary ballot may also include voting on such measures. So it's not an either/or thing.
Awe, I didn't think of that one. I can accept that.

Tuesday, March 8:
Hawaii Republican caucuses
Idaho (Republicans only)
Michigan
Mississippi

Here we go again. Can the GOP stop der Trumster?

Tuesday, March 8:
Hawaii Republican caucuses
Idaho (Republicans only)
Michigan
Mississippi

Here we go again. Can the GOP stop der Trumster?

The GOP (Goof Off Party) does not appear capable of stopping der Trumptster. But I think he will be stopped because he is just too Nazi like and his actually followership is not really a very large number of people. There are always people who simply worship rich. They are not the majority of Americans, but seem to be an increasing fraction of people who call themselves Republicans.:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom