• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Veep Bets

"Unite the country"? Is that some kind of joke? We're in a state of increasingly open civil war, I think it's a bit late for thinking a suitably inoffensive VP pick is going to "unite the country".

Fortunately that sentiment is an outlier from the far left wing. I wouldn't even say it's part of the Democratic left wing. Arguing with you about it is like trying to convince TSwizzle that it's foolish not to wear a mask in order to limit the pandemic.

I agree with you 100%. US political discourse has devolved to:

Left: These people can't be reasoned with.
Right: The left are a bunch of traitorous cunts! Execute them all! Any survivors should be placed into work camps!

So yeah, completely equivalent.

"Unite the country"? Is that some kind of joke? We're in a state of increasingly open civil war, I think it's a bit late for thinking a suitably inoffensive VP pick is going to "unite the country".

Unfortunately that sentiment is an outlier from the far left wing. I wouldn't even say it's part of the Democratic left wing.
Fixt that for you.
Politesse seems to think the country is beyond fixt'ing.

Veep Bets

It just struck me, how is it possible that Maxine Waters is not at the top of the list of those being considered for VP? She has everything Biden says he is looking for. She is a woman. She is black. She has extensive experience in government. And on top of that, she is a staunch Democrat.

And she has zero experience in international political relations.
I have no idea how she might or worse, might not deal with China.

That isn't what Biden said he is looking for in a VP.

Fixt that for you.
Politesse seems to think the country is beyond fixt'ing.

Not true. But I do think that expecting the blandness of a VP pick to somehow "unite the country" is naive and a bit absurd. I don't see how it would even factor in.

I think you simply misunderstand what I meant. Biden needs to pick a VP who won't be seen as antagonistic to civil discourse, which would scare away enough moderate voters from both parties to lose the election in the electoral college. Not some kind of kumbaya moment. Declaring open season on anyone you disagree with on some issue (an attitude that Waters encouraged) so that nobody can feel safe sitting down for a meal, is stepping over the line and is guaranteed to widen the division.

Not true. But I do think that expecting the blandness of a VP pick to somehow "unite the country" is naive and a bit absurd. I don't see how it would even factor in.

I think you simply misunderstand what I meant. Biden needs to pick a VP who won't be seen as antagonistic to civil discourse, which would scare away enough moderate voters from both parties to lose the election in the electoral college. Not some kind of kumbaya moment. Declaring open season on anyone you disagree with on some issue (an attitude that Waters encouraged) so that nobody can feel safe sitting down for a meal, is stepping over the line and is guaranteed to widen the division.

The rightwing discourse reacts to anyone who isn't on the Trump train with equal histrionics anyway. We need powerful Democratic leaders to steer us out of this mess, if they can be found.

The rightwing discourse reacts to anyone who isn't on the Trump train with equal histrionics anyway. We need powerful Democratic leaders to steer us out of this mess, if they can be found.

That's true. It's less Idiocracy and more Zombie Apocalypse. Idiots can be negotiated with. Zombies not so much.

That's true. It's less Idiocracy and more Zombie Apocalypse. Idiots can be negotiated with. Zombies not so much.
Exactly, which is why your continued call to negotiate with them is so confusing.

Exactly, which is why your continued call to negotiate with them is so confusing.

Attacking patrons of a restaurant can awaken the zombie in many an idiot. It's idiotic in itself since it's goal is simply to antagonize them rather than engage in rational debate. Think of that scene in the Fellowship of the Ring when they're in the ruined halls of the Moria and Pippin recklessly drops a stone into the well. "Fool of a Took!"

Attacking patrons of a restaurant can awaken the zombie in many an idiot. It's idiotic in itself since it's goal is simply to antagonize them rather than engage in rational debate. Think of that scene in the Fellowship of the Ring when they're in the ruined halls of the Moria and Pippin recklessly drops a stone into the well. "Fool of a Took!"
So now you think the morons who still support the trump regime can be dealt with rationally?

So now you think the morons who still support the trump regime can be dealt with rationally?
What do you consider an acceptable alternative, if not to at least attempt rational discourse?

The alternative is to give up and try something irrational and reactionary. Not to mention we'd be out of our element and competing against the master. But if Joe Biden was to endorse Maxine Waters' call to publicly harass people who disagree with him and his policies then we would certainly be on the road fascism.

Joe Biden’s most likely running mates, ranked - The Washington Post

June - July ratings
  • Stacey Abrams - 9 - 12
  • Gina Raimondo - x - 11 - RI Gov
  • Tammy Baldwin - 8 - 10 - WI Sen
  • Gretchen Whitmer - 6 - 9 - MI Gov
  • Michelle Lujan Grisham - 7 - 8 - NM Gov
  • Keisha Lance Bottoms - 4 - 7 - Atlanta Mayor
  • Karen Bass - 11 - 6 - CA Rep
  • Val Demings - 5 - 5 - FL Rep
  • Susan Rice - 4 - 4 - Obama Nat'l Sec Adv
  • Tammy Duckworth - 10 - 3 - IL Sen
  • Elizabeth Warren - 2 - 2 - MA Sen
  • Kamala Harris - 1 - 1 - CA Sen

‘She had no remorse’: Why Kamala Harris isn't a lock for VP - POLITICO

Not so fast on the Harris inevitability. This article talks about some dem insiders who aren't so keen on her, and touting Karen Bass instead. I would prefer Bass myself. At 66, she is pushing it agewise, but she is likable enough, qualified enough and doesn't have any of the negative baggage Harris carries. The best part is she is divorced and single.

What do you consider an acceptable alternative, if not to at least attempt rational discourse?
Guillotines?

Realistically, though, just ignoring them and moving on. The morons who still support the current fascist regime are numerically pretty small. The rational part of the population simply needs to ignore them and focus on the slightly more sane part of the electorate and motivate them to vote.

Or, guillotines....

Why the hell would she have "remorse"? This is why the election isn't in the bag yet. No one should even be asking Harris to apologize for trying to win an election.

Is this like Trump whining about how "mean" everyone is to him? God I wish we had a real Left in this godforsaken country. The President is supposed to have cojones and use them to play a leading role in guiding the nation, not cry like a whiny little toddler demanding apologies for minor slights. Fragile male egos will be the death of this empire.

Why the hell would she have "remorse"? This is why the election isn't in the bag yet. No one should even be asking Harris to apologize for trying to win an election.

Is this like Trump whining about how "mean" everyone is to him? God I wish we had a real Left in this godforsaken country. The President is supposed to have cojones and use them to play a leading role in guiding the nation, not cry like a whiny little toddler demanding apologies for minor slights. Fragile male egos will be the death of this empire.

It was Chris Dodd that took exception to the “that’s politics” comment, not Biden. It was a cheap shot for Harris to admonish Biden for something that happened fifty years ago. As if the world hasn’t changed. As if Biden hasn’t grown. That, in a private interview for the VP spot is what a candidate apologizes for or at least manages something a bit more diplomatic than “that’s politics”.

It was Chris Dodd that took exception to the “that’s politics” comment, not Biden. It was a cheap shot for Harris to admonish Biden for something that happened fifty years ago. As if the world hasn’t changed. As if Biden hasn’t grown. That, in a private interview for the VP spot is what a candidate apologizes for or at least manages something a bit more diplomatic than “that’s politics”.

And when was the appropriate time to bring it up? September? Jesus Christ. If your candidate is only solvent if no one asks any hard questions about them. If you think you're ready to be President, top massaging your bruised feewings and answer the question. You think you've changed? Good, show us how and when. No one is obliged to play softball with you. And if it was a man asking rather than a woman, no one would expect him to. No wonder Dodd's own presidential bid never went anywhere.

It wasn't a cheap shot. Now, if Biden was running as someone repudiating his past, that is one thing, but practically his entire campaign is him running on his record, so going after him on his record is totally fair game. It's amazing you think otherwise.

Of course, I loved it when Gabbard went after Harris for trying to paint herself as a "progressive" prosecutor, which is a load of bullshit as well.

And if it was a man asking rather than a woman, no one would expect him to.
Oh bullshit.

Sanders was expected to play with kid gloves the whole time. And to my chagrin, he mostly did.

The democrats have this crazy idea that if you don't bring it up in the primary, the Republicans won't touch it in the general. It's stupid and insane, I know.

But here's the deal, you attack someone, anyone, for being centrist/conservative in the Democratic party and the Democratic establishment gets pissed. That's just how it works.

Remember how much flak Sanders got for his incredibly tame criticisms.

Back
Top Bottom