• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Veep Bets

Supposedly, some people who are working closely with Biden have leaked that the choices are down to Harris or Rice. I suppose that makes sense, and soon we will know for sure.

The Democratic Party will not want to alienate police right now and they will also not want to alienate African Americans. So, an African American prosecutor or policewoman seems like the choice.

I hope it's Susan Rice. She's a pretty smart cookie and would excel in repairing the damage done with our allies. It would be tough for Republicans to smear her with anything. I can't imagine even Fox viewers taking much interest in yet another round of some weak-ass Benghazi bullshit.

I hope it's Susan Rice. She's a pretty smart cookie and would excel in repairing the damage done with our allies. It would be tough for Republicans to smear her with anything. I can't imagine even Fox viewers taking much interest in yet another round of some weak-ass Benghazi bullshit.

Republicans, in general, have doing the unimaginable for 4 years now.

Another? They never even stopped.

Rumor has it that Biden will announce his VP candidate as early as today. Supposedly there are plans to defend against the expected sexist and/or racist attacks. I also heard that 4 out of 10 voters in Pa. have said they will decide who to vote for depending on Biden's choice of VP. That's crazy imo. I mean seriously. You would vote for Trump if you don't like Biden's VP pick.

I also heard that 4 out of 10 voters in Pa. have said they will decide who to vote for depending on Biden's choice of VP.

I don't think that's right... I did see this:
"In Pennsylvania, 38 percent of voters say Biden’s VP pick is important, compared to six in 10 (62%) who say it is not important. Voters in Wisconsin seem to think Biden’s VP pick is more important than those in Pennsylvania, with 44 percent of voters saying it is important, and 56 percent saying it is not important."

I could read that as meaning that since they've already decided to vote for Biden, his VP pick is "important". There is no explicit indication that it's a deal maker/breaker.

I'm trying to imagine finding Mike Pence more interesting than anyone on Biden's shortist, and failing.

I do think it would badly hurt his chances if he picked someone like Pence. Like, some boring guy from the Midwest of whom no one has heard unless they follow politics regularly. But that doesn't seem likely at the mo.

I'm trying to imagine finding Mike Pence more interesting than anyone on Biden's shortist, and failing.

I do think it would badly hurt his chances if he picked someone like Pence. Like, some boring guy from the Midwest of whom no one has heard unless they follow politics regularly. But that doesn't seem likely at the mo.

I'm really hoping it's Susan Rice.

Our Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, is in the running but I think she's badly needed here. She doing great at fighting the covid.

I'm really hoping it's Susan Rice.

Our Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, is in the running but I think she's badly needed here. She doing great at fighting the covid.

I slightly favor Kamala Harris, but I do like Susan Rice, and I see the advantage of picking someone the rightwing press has had less time to build up a hate mob around during the social media era. Either woman would do fine as president. I don't think most of the other contenders are stilll under consideration, but who knows? VP picks often come as something of a surprise even to political insiders.

I also heard that 4 out of 10 voters in Pa. have said they will decide who to vote for depending on Biden's choice of VP. That's crazy imo.
Not as crazy when you consider that Biden is 78 years old and has already survived an aneurysm. Whoever is Veep would have a decent chance of replacing him in before the 2024 election due to death or incapacitating health issues.

Kind of similar as to how Palin would have had a reasonable chance of advancing to presidency had McCain won, only much more so.

If past considerations for picking a VP were still followed then Keisha Bottoms would be the likely choice. However, this election cycle seems to be unique in political thinking. Generally the VP was picked to improve support for the ticket from an area where the head of the ticket wasn't strong. California will go big for Biden no matter who the VP candidate is which would be a bad reason (given past campaign thinking) to name Harris. The same for Susan Rice... DC will go big for Biden no matter who the VP is. The Democrats have been trying and hoping to win in Georgia for a while now and selecting Bottoms as VP would make it more likely.

I don't expect that to happen though as political thinking has radically changed this year.

If past considerations for picking a VP were still followed then Keisha Bottoms would be the likely choice.
Why? I don't think a mayor was ever chosen as a running mate for a major party ticket, and even it it did happen, it is certainly not a usual choice.

Generally the VP was picked to improve support for the ticket from an area where the head of the ticket wasn't strong.
Rarely is a running mate chosen to try to win a state. Obama didn't need Biden to win Delaware. Bush 43 didn't need Cheney to win Wyoming. Often a Veep candidate will be chosen to "fix" some deficiency in the ticket - Obama chose Biden because he is an elder statesman with foreign policy experience for example.
Also note that if Georgia is in play at all this year, then the election will be an EC landslide anyway! If Biden wanted to grab a state, a running mate from Florida or say Michigan would be a better bet.

California will go big for Biden no matter who the VP candidate is which would be a bad reason (given past campaign thinking) to name Harris. The same for Susan Rice... DC will go big for Biden no matter who the VP is. The Democrats have been trying and hoping to win in Georgia for a while now and selecting Bottoms as VP would make it more likely.
As I said, choosing a running mate to try to win a state is relatively rare. And states like Florida and Michigan are closer anyway.
Also, I doubt KLB would give him that many votes outside of Atlanta, and Atlanta is already solidly blue. That was true even before her mismanagement of the George Floyd riots and the deadly Wendy's occupation - an 8 year old girl was murdered after gunmen at the barricades opened fire on the car she was riding in. Those developments tarnished KLB's reputation heavily.

I don't expect that to happen though as political thinking has radically changed this year.
KLB would not have happened in a normal year for sure. The craziness of 2020 made it somewhat more likely actually, at least before she screwed up by allowing the Wendy's Autonomous Zone to proceed for weeks.

What is taking Biden so long?

Wasn't he supposed to announce first week of August?

Maybe he is still taking a nap?

If past considerations for picking a VP were still followed then Keisha Bottoms would be the likely choice. However, this election cycle seems to be unique in political thinking. Generally the VP was picked to improve support for the ticket from an area where the head of the ticket wasn't strong. California will go big for Biden no matter who the VP candidate is which would be a bad reason (given past campaign thinking) to name Harris. The same for Susan Rice... DC will go big for Biden no matter who the VP is. The Democrats have been trying and hoping to win in Georgia for a while now and selecting Bottoms as VP would make it more likely.

I doubtt that. She's not very popular outside of Atlanta. She has far less experience than Stacey Abrams, who isn't even being considered any longer. There is only a slim chance that Biden will take Georgia. it's possible but it will all depend on turn out and how smoothly our election goes.

And, Derec, comparing Palin to any of the current VP candidates is bullshit. Palin was obviously an ignorant nutjob, although I did know a few young conservative women who were excited about her. Any of the current women under consideration are far more intelligent and able to do the job of VP or president compared to Palin. It seems rather stupid to worry about the VP candidate when we currently have two totally idiotic men running the country. I assume that those who are undecided are afraid the pick will be Warren, who many consider too progressive for their tastes.

All experienced politicians have baggage and that baggage will be used by the Republicans to try and smear whoever is chosen.

It appears to me that Biden is doing an excellent job of vetting his running mate. But, even a young president could end up dead before the term is over.

Anyway, we keep hearing that Biden is going to announce his running mate anytime now.....I'm sure we will know by the end of the week, if not sooner.

Wasn't he supposed to announce first week of August?

Maybe he is still taking a nap?

Probably swamped with party insiders solemnly trying help him decide who the most conventional choice will be.

Actually I think it is a two fold strategy: partially a fubrausing strategy as ‘insiders’ are promised that they will be among the first to hear when he announces he s running mate if they only donate a little bit more. But more importantly: any person who is chosen will be attacked with a great deal of vigor. The longer the announcement is delayed, the less time for attacks. Note: I am hoping that there will be a substantial side benefit as so much attention is being brought to each on the long list of well qualified female candidates. This should help to boost the visibility of female politicians and leaders and make more aware of just how many excellent women are serving our nation.

Back
Top Bottom