• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Neat brand burger mix. It’s a crushed nut flour kind of mixture. I added in sauteed onions and steak rub.

Tonight we use left over grilled steak thinly sliced and mix it with slightly cooked sliced green and red peppers, left over white and red onion sliced up and sliced mushrooms. Put that mixture onto a floured tortilla, sprinkle it with some grated cheese and diced tomato, roll them up and put them on the grill for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese.

I am sure this resemble some sort of Tex-Mex cuisine, but I am loathe to claim them as such.

This morning was home-smoked salmon on bagels with chive cream cheese and capers.

Tonight will be a butterflied leg of lamb encrusted in a Moroccan spice blend and grilled, sliced and served on naan with garlic-yogurt and goat cheese (spices include coriander seed, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, paprika, and cinnamon).

This morning eggs, potatoes, vegetables with a tomato sauce. And an apple.

Lunch was rice, corn with a tomato sauce. A pile of cheery tomatoes on the side.

Dinner will be salad with canned salmon.

It's been a good food day so far. Breakfast was a spicy tofu and egg scramble with too much soy sauce. Lunch was a pot-pie-like mixture of a GERD-modified bechamel sauce, peas and carrots, served over a bed of zucchini squash "noodles", and a vegan hamburger patty leftover from yesterday's dinner popped in. Working on dinner now, it's going to be a split pea soup (we have a lot of peas) with a parsnip, peppers, and couple of other goodies mixed in. It already smells pretty nice.

Nothing mind-blowing but I made banana muffins today. Not sure what took me so long, but lately I've gotten in the habit of using up old bananas this way. This used to be done by my partner, but now I've found the motivation and realized how easy muffins are.

What's interesting about it is that it's such a simple and low-cost recipe that it's risk-free to tweak and experiment with it. I use this recipe as a base and try to do something different with it each time just to see how it turns out. To date I've experimented with brown sugar, adding blended berries, the number of eggs, and adding some pepper.

Nothing too difficult but it adds some fun to using up overripe bananas, and who knows what I'll have come up with in a few years.

Nothing mind-blowing but I made banana muffins today. Not sure what took me so long, but lately I've gotten in the habit of using up old bananas this way. This used to be done by my partner, but now I've found the motivation and realized how easy muffins are.

What's interesting about it is that it's such a simple and low-cost recipe that it's risk-free to tweak and experiment with it. I use this recipe as a base and try to do something different with it each time just to see how it turns out. To date I've experimented with brown sugar, adding blended berries, the number of eggs, and adding some pepper.

Nothing too difficult but it adds some fun to using up overripe bananas, and who knows what I'll have come up with in a few years.

That's what I like about making my own spaghetti sauce. Lots of room to experiment. Something told me to try adding allspice and now it's a standard ingredient. It sounds like a natural part of banana muffins too.

That's what I like about making my own spaghetti sauce. Lots of room to experiment. Something told me to try adding allspice and now it's a standard ingredient. It sounds like a natural part of banana muffins too.

cilantro.

Fish sauce and soy sauce are great additions to tomato sauce, just be sure to reduce the salt you use.

Fish sauce and soy sauce are great additions to tomato sauce, just be sure to reduce the salt you use.

I keep trying to add fish sauce to things without noticing much benefit, especially given the horrible stink in the kitchen when it's first added. Haven't tried it in spaghetti sauce yet though. Whenever I see it used in a recipe it always seems to be accompanied by a good does of lime juice to "freshen things up". The only fermented fish I like is Worcestershire sauce. Soy sauce goes into almost everything unless it includes beef. I use low-salt everything. The problem with lots of oriental foods is they have lots of salt. I've been eating lots of soba noodles lately, but I stay away from ramen due to the uniformly high salt content.

Right now I am snacking on apple slices cooled in ice water. Very refreshing on a hot night!

We are in that season where the garden dictates what vegetables go into the meals.
So tonight, swiss chard will be sauteed with onions and tossed with horseradish
(And served with grilled steak and roasted potatoes)

The strawberries are done but the blueberries are coming in. A bowl of fresh chilled blueberries goes down pretty well on a hot day, which is exactly what we just enjoyed.

The zucchini are almost there. Cut in half or whatever size dictates and skillet grill in olive oil with a touch of salt and pepper.

Pork, marinating right now in Mango and lime juice; chili, curry, ginger powders, in kabobs with pineapple and red peppers, grilled over charcoal, with grilled corn, and bacon cornbread baking at this moment.
Smells horrid. I may be forced to buy pizzas for the wife, kids, try to salvage someything out if thus mess for me.

This morning eggs, potatoes, vegetables with a tomato sauce. And an apple.

Lunch was rice, corn with a tomato sauce. A pile of cheery tomatoes on the side.

Dinner will be salad with canned salmon.

I've never had a cheery tomato. They're usually pretty sullen. :D

Haven't had a steak in many months. Top round certified Angus $2.49 on sale. Did the reverse sear: Olive oil + salt + pepper into the oven on a wire rack in a baking pan at 275F for 30 min and then seared in a skillet 1 minute per side. Perfect med rare from edge to edge. Very tender and fairly lean. Back to tofu stir fry tomorrow.

The strawberries are done but the blueberries are coming in. A bowl of fresh chilled blueberries goes down pretty well on a hot day, which is exactly what we just enjoyed.

The zucchini are almost there. Cut in half or whatever size dictates and skillet grill in olive oil with a touch of salt and pepper.

Apparently you can freeze blueberries with a little water in ice cube trays, and add them to your water too.

Tonight we had the following:

220g of Streaky bacon, 1/2 a sugarloaf cabbage, 2 large onions, 2 red capsicum, three small parboiled potatoes, all roughly chopped and put into a pot and stirred until cooked to your preference. Add a handful of frozen peas and corn at the end and heat through and serve. Any liquid comes from the cabbage. Season and enjoy!

This made 33 serves so I have lunch for tomorrow.

There are a lot of gourmet types on this thread is seems. I did make a sourdough crust margherita pizza yesterday. No leftovers!

Didn't enjoy heating up the oven for one pizza so am trying another one tomorrow but will attempt to make it in the electric skillet. I figure I can flip the crust so it gets done, then brush with oil and add toppings. Let it on until everything is good and melty. Dough is making. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom