• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

This morning eggs, potatoes, vegetables with a tomato sauce. And an apple.

Lunch was rice, corn with a tomato sauce. A pile of cheery tomatoes on the side.

Dinner will be salad with canned salmon.

I've never had a cheery tomato. They're usually pretty sullen. :D

Actually they grow a feature that looks like a smile face. A little more expensive but wort the money.

Anything like those tightly curved heirloom tomatoes? The ones that look like my Aunt Wanda in spandex?

I'm glad I enjoyed my electric skillet pizza before reading your post. Definitely an appetite buster.

But the pizza turned out fabulous. Rao sensitive marina, ricotta, mozzerella, shaved parmesan.

carrot cake and a tangerine for breakfast
potato salad and bean salad and broccoli salad for lunch
steak, potatoes, green beans for supper

Lunch

Boiled potatoes then added carrots, onions, cheese, mayo.

Dessert: an Eccles cake from the UK (found 'em on the English Tea Store site) topped with Cherry Garcia ice cream. Wiped out the calorie loss from my swim at the Y, tho'.
(Further note on Eccles cakes: Not everyone likes them. They're hard to describe. They have a fruit filling, raisins and currants, I think. If Fig Newtons had a puff pasty outer shell, they'd sort of be Eccles cakes.)

I'm too lazy to visit this thread everyday, so I'll just list what my chef made me for dinner each night for the past 6 days.

7-6 Delicious slow grilled filet mignon with a charred pineapple sauce ( bottled sauce but wonderful ) grilled sweet corn and steamed green veggies

7-7 fantastic spinach and broccoli quiche with some onions, garlic and mushrooms. fresh fruit on the side

7-8 Huge salad ( one of my old recipes ) with fresh mixed greens, tomatoes, onions, grapes, apples, raisins, dried cranberries, celery, carrots and feta cheese. Dressing is a red wine vinaigrette and a baked potato on the side

7-9 Baked chicken tenders with panko bread crumps etc. Much better and healthier than fried, carrots cooked in an orange glaze and Syrian rice/noodle dish, steamed broccoli

7-10 Ground sirloin burger on a roll from the Publix bakery with sides of fresh green salad, sliced cantaloupe and sliced mango

Right now, he's looking at shrimp recipes for tonight's dinner

I always eat cereal for breakfast and either a frozen dinner or tuna sandwich and fruit for lunch, so those are my boring meals.

I won't mention all the snacks that I eat.

Dinner a large vegetable salad with bread and peanut butter. Later plain yogurt with fresh blackberries.

Sometimes we have gone to restaurants and just had appetizers and desserts. Stuff we won't have room for if we get a meal.
Tonight i cooked a snack and served it as dinner.

A filling of cream cheese, Swiss cheese, baby shrimp, crushed pineapple.
Spread on slices of white bread, crusts trimmed.
Folded the slices over, wrapped in bacon, sliced into thirds.

Baked for half an hour, served about sixty for the four of us.

Only other thing i put on the table was chilled watermelon. Very nice meal.

Hot black bean and scallop salad for dinner tonight.

Lately I've been trying to put more protein into the meals because I'm old. So beans, whole wheat, chicken, tuna and sardines have been on the menu lately. Trader Joes sells those refried beans in a can. I ate a can over the last two days and they're quite tasty. Also found out that you can microwave a chicken breast easy peasy, no skillet needed.

I usually plan my meals around what kind of starch I'm going to have. I like to rotate between rice (parboiled), bread (mostly home made), potatoes, or pasta. Also recently added soba noodles (60% buckwheat from Japan via Amazon). Then if I don't have some set recipe, or stock of prepared entrees in the freezer, I add whatever protein and veg that's in the fridge. I myself use 60# rice/year and just bought a 20# bag of Carolina brand on sale (because the fucking Goya CEO turns out to be a Trump apologist). Anyway, also got 20 cans of white potatoes on sale. I usually go for fresh potatoes, either white or Russet for soup, baking, or frying. This isn't potato season so the canned ones become competitive. And something about canned potatoes reminds me of camping when I was a kid. I discovered a great combination is to fry-up a can (~ 8 oz net) along with whatever protein such as chicken breast or fish fillet, and then add some of my pre-made sauerkraut so that it mixes in with the potatoes. Really a great combo. The sauerkraut contains a can of brined, shredded cabbage that I've simmered down with olive oil, diced onions, garlic, capers, rice vinegar, dill seed, cumin, thyme, and ground black pepper. Keeps a long time in the fridge.

Breaky 2 fried eggs on 2 slices of rye toast spread with chill sce.

Lunch 2 tuna sandwiches, 2 hours apart, one with mayo and parsley.

Dinner haven't decided yet.

I'm going to be making stuffed peppers for dinner tonight. Two green peppers, two red, and two orange. Two pounds of ground beef and mexican rice.

Tonight was “everyone scavange for themselves” night. I decided on eclectic. I hope it works.

Miso soup with sliced seitan sausage, fresh chard from the garden and blue cheese.

Taken a liking to tender celery stalks dipped in roasted garlic hummus. I need something to get me through the evening along with a glass or two of wine. I used to love various cheeses, but too frequently, along with pizza for dinner, caused my cholesterol to spike. So I eliminated cheese completely and my cholesterol came way down. My doctor was ecstatic, except my substitute became a large bowl of popcorn every night, with increasing levels of salt. The only question was the wine. Red or white? Blood pressure quickly went out of control, so I decided bread making would be a worthy alternative. I always said that nobody gets fat on bread. It's what you put on it that's the problem. Well it took me 2 years or so to master a good crusty yet airy artisan loaf, and I've gained 10 pounds in the process. Blood pressure is borderline to good, and nothing a half hour on the elliptical every day won't cure. Maybe it happened when I began adding a slice of mozzarella along with olive oil and oregano. Very satisfying in the evening. Actually sometimes I only had room for the mozzarella. So now it's the celery stalks at night, along with hummus. Sounds innocent enough. I really have to figure this out before I start getting old. But that's another story.

Breakfast was a slice of Ciabatta bread, buttered and grilled on one side. Two eggs over easy, two slices of apple wood smoked bacon, and the last of the orange juice.

Lunch will be two hotdogs. I've never outgrown hotdogs. I feel like I should have. I did not eat them for quite some time. Now because the package says "organic" and the list of ingredients is short and easy to pronounce, I've fallen off the wagon. So, hotdogs it will be with ketchup, deli mustard, and chopped red onion, gently folded into slices of Dave's White Bread Done Right. I hope the bread doesn't crack.

Dinner will be chicken salad from a plastic container. Macaroni salad from a plastic container. Pickles

Back
Top Bottom