• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Brought a pack of Roast Beef and Gravy potato chips.

Never again.
Is thst like the Turkey, Gravy, and Cranberries gum? The gravy gumball tasted like gravy for ten seconds, and then you tasted grease for an hour and a half.

My wife made spaghetti with homemade sauce from freshly picked cherry tomatoes and freshly picked basil from her garden cooked in olive oil and some garlic. Served with a garden salad and some french bread.

I love this time of year when her tomatoes are ripe. Fresh tomatoes are sooo delicious.

Tonight, we have grilled walleye (I marinade it in some olive oil), grilled corn on the cob, and a fresh garden salad of lettuce, shredded carrots and some home grown freshly picked tomatoes.

OK laughing dog you got me going. I prefer trout. Up front I have to say I'm probably in a better position for sampling given I live on the coast in a fishing village with five small rivers-creeks and several more moderate rivers flowing down from the coastal range nearby. Many friends fish in all of them share.

Just checking. In oregon, around Portland actually when I was young, I found perch often in muddier places so you can judge for yourself. Developed a taste for Brook trout and Rainbow trout found in clear water environments in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming as a teen.

Now walleye, here in oregon they are found in the Willamette and Columbia rivers mainly. When near there as young adult I fished only for Chinook. While I was there as a young child many of mom's "uncles" fished for perch in muddy, sometimes smelly places.

Since fish taste generally reflect their environment. Commentaries are that Walleye taste like chicken. So do rattlesnakes. You can gather for yourself my attitude about walleye and trout.

Actually I like fresh anything. Since walleye, for me to experience, requires I go elsewhere it's not as fresh. OK?

In my experience, walleye tastes nothing like chicken. So far in my life, I have yet to find a variety of fish that I do not like. My wife prefers "red" fish to "white" fish.

This walleye was frozen, and, in my limited experience, walleye survives freezing rather well - it keeps its flavor and cooks nicely. Some varieties of fish in my experience do not survive freezing as well - haddock and cod come to mind. If we get that fish frozen, we tend to use it a soup.

The cabbage wilts nicely to create a broth.
I also chucked in some Worcestershire sauce.
Mmmmm.

Sounds like pure poetry.
I think I'll try that this week with some pork loin.

Tried making this in a Dutch oven today with the pork loin, cabbage and Worcestershire sauce. Browned the pork on all sides first. Turned out ok but would have been better with some bacon added.

Smoked spare ribs

A big slab of spare ribs, with a dry rub of Tony Chachere's salt free spice mix and fajita mix. Smoked with indirect heat at 225 degrees for 45 minutes with oak and hickory. Then basted with a mix of olive oil and honey and wrapped in foil. Left in the smoker for another hour.

Very tender, good smoke flavor. I'm going to use this formula again.

For tonight, my wife is making a tomato and green pepper salad: cut up some fresh tomatoes and green peppers, then marinade them in olive oil and some garlic for a couple of hours or so. To go with that summer delicacy, I plan to grill some fresh corn on the cob and some brat burgers (bratwurst in the shape of hamburger patties).

We don't find ourselves getting too fancy lately, but tomorrow's our second anniversary so I spiced up tonight's meal a touch. Cream Schnitzel from our local market, mashed Japanese Sweet Potatoes, and Brussel Sprouts. The spice was caramelized onions and garlic in the potatoes, and two steamed Portobello mushrooms cut in four.

I'm starting to enjoy keeping Portobello's on hand, there's something satisfying about biting into a big chunk of mushroom.

Two nights ago we also had our first corn-on-the-cob of the season, also from local market.

All this talk of corn on the cob is driving me crazy. We had some come through for $.20 /ear in early spring and it was great. Hasn't been below $.50/ear since.

Anyway, I was going to make some stuffed grape leaves. I love them and so I got inspired to try it after watching an episode of Diane Kochilas "My Greek Table". They look so easy and she says I can use the wild grape leaves I have growing in the back yard. Ingredients: bulgar wheat, diced tomatoes, cumin, black pepper, salt, fresh dill weed, fresh mint, fresh lemon juice, and finely diced red onion. I never buy red onions because they're twice the cost of yellow ones, but I wanted to give it my best shot so I bought a few. Threw everything together and ran out of time last night so I left it in the bowl in the fridge. Whadayaknow but reading the local news and there's a tremendous outbreak of salmonella that's hit 30 states so far and in all likelihood it comes from one company's red onions. Crap! Had to toss the whole batch in the compost. Oh well at least I didn't waste any grape leaves. BTW they say it might contaminate other types of onions. If you can't be sure they didn't come from Thomson International, Inc. of Bakersfield, California then throw them out and wipe down anything that came in contact with them.

Brought a pack of Roast Beef and Gravy potato chips.

Never again.
Is thst like the Turkey, Gravy, and Cranberries gum? The gravy gumball tasted like gravy for ten seconds, and then you tasted grease for an hour and a half.

Too much salty gravy and where was the roast beef?

I ate some hearts of palm straight out of the can. I usually put them in salads, but didn't bother today. I also looked up recipes for hearts of palm other than salad but they all looked kind of gross.

Made baked chicken thighs for dinner tonight.

Mixed bread crumbs, italian seasoning, garlic powder, a little seasoned salt, and some red cayenne pepper. Dipped the thighs in italian dressing then in the bread crumb mixture. Baked at 400 for 45 minutes.

Tender, juicy, and quite flavorful.

Broccoli and brown rice. I have a ton of both so I want to use up some of it. I hate wasting food. It's good with a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash.

O.M.G.
So, grilled steaks, nothing fancy. Store bought marinade.
Grilled corn on the cob. Shucked 'em, wrapped in foil with a tbsp of butter, grilled upwind of the steaks.

Tried something new with the caramelized onion.

Cut one big vidalia onion into 8-9 wedges.
Made an aluminum foil packet, piled the wedges in the center.
Dotted the wedges with 1.5 tbsp butter cut into cubes, sprinkled with a tsp of beef boullion powder, a pinch of garlic powder, 1/8th tsp salt, a sneeze of pepper.
Sealed the packet, poked a tiny hole in the top to vent.
Grilled for 45 minutes alone, then moved to the edge of the grill while i cooked the steak and corn.

The onions come out tasting like French Onion Soup. Melt in your mouth soft, savory, perfect.

Breakfast at 7 am was a banana and coffee. Got to Second Breakfast a bit late so now combining it with Elevenses, which is a chicken salad sandwich and a brownie.

Luncheon was pasta salad and pickled beets. I've been so focused on my crochet project today that I missed Afternoon tea, so now having a hummus wrap for Dinner.

Last edited:
Homemade chive farmer’s cheese, gouda, smoked tofu, lemon-hot-pepper jelly, grape tomatoes and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Back
Top Bottom