• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

What do you put in your coffee?

I usually drink it black but I have started adding cinnamon and nutmeg.

Almost always black, grocery beans out of a french press. I'll occasionally buy fresh beans and use a Hario V60 pour over.

Water.
I grind whole beans* and drink it black.
On the rare occasion that we go out for b’fast, I will adulterate their crappy coffee with a whole lot of whatever they’ve got - sugar, cream, creamer - anything to cover up the metallic bitterness.

* The Brewing Mart in Boulder has been my bean supplier for over 35 years.

We also make a mixture of 33% regular / 66% Swiss Water Decaf beans, so our coffee has about the same amount of caffeine as green tea. My head can't process normal coffee anymore.

The other benefit beyond not getting tweaked out is that you can drink two or three coffees a day.

It works!

chicken, chorizo, onion, carrots and celery with cherry tomatoes. I dusted the chicken in flour, cumin, turmeric and paprika before frying.

once all softened, chucked in the low to medium oven and forget for three hours….
View attachment 44420

I wonder if a crock pot would be lower on energy consumption?
We have a slow cooker, but it’s old and the timer is temperamental- sometimes it will let you set it for 2 hours, or 4 hours and it picks and chooses what it does.

I am thinking it would be similar power consumption. And easier on washing up as you can sear and seal your meat and cook it in the one pot. With a crock pot, you need to fry off the meat first, and you end up leaving all that spicy floury goodness in the bottom of the pan. With Carrie the Casserole, you don’t lose all that goodness.

I started it off on a medium heat stove stop, and put it in a 150C oven for around 3 hours.

Water.
I grind whole beans* and drink it black.
On the rare occasion that we go out for b’fast, I will adulterate their crappy coffee with a whole lot of whatever they’ve got - sugar, cream, creamer - anything to cover up the metallic bitterness.

* The Brewing Mart in Boulder has been my bean supplier for over 35 years.
I stayed in Boulder a few daysin 79 when I was driving cross county at a friend of a friend's house.

I did some bouldering in Boulder.

I got Bouldered-out after 20 years of being based in 4 mile canyon... place is too hip for me!

Defrosted a couple New York strip steaks that have been in the freezer for months. Cooked one up in an iron skillet. A little overcooked. Came out of the pan a perfect medium rare but they keep cooking a little more and ended up closer to medium.

I don't think I've made Pico de Gallo in over a year, if that's any indication of our energy levels. Diced, uncooked tomato FTW.

This morning I made a turkey-spinach-tomato frittata with goat cheese on top. It turned out well, and there's enough left over to make a dinner, served with a green salad and fresh bread.

frittata.png

Made steak and eggs for the wife and me for breakfast. We split the second of the two New York strips I thawed.

Now I have to clean and re-season the cast iron pan.

How would she cook it indoors?

She doesn't. I cook it on the grill on the deck whether rain, snow or sleet or -0 temperatures. There are only two excuses. 1: If snow hasn't been shoveled to create a path from the porch door to the grill we wait until a path is shoveled. 2: It's so windy that the grill won't stay lit.

In that case we don't have steak. My wife has suggested the broiler in the oven but that makes so much mess and it's my job to clean it I don't do it.

I've been learning the value of pre-processed items at the grocery store. For a good long while our boys were happy with whatever we gave them, but as our eldest gets a little more picky, a jar of curry or tomato sauce, gravy, or other minor seasonings go a long way. And they're considerably easier than making them from scratch.

Luckily, I also have the know how to add additional seasoning to these sauces to make them taste a little better.

This all started with daycare and a Brazilian cook who knew how to make small kids eat (cough butter and salt cough). Now I've been forced to up my game, but I still don't use butter.

She doesn't. I cook it on the grill on the deck whether rain, snow or sleet or -0 temperatures. There are only two excuses. 1: If snow hasn't been shoveled to create a path from the porch door to the grill we wait until a path is shoveled. 2: It's so windy that the grill won't stay lit.

In that case we don't have steak. My wife has suggested the broiler in the oven but that makes so much mess and it's my job to clean it I don't do it.
My father in law used to make steaks using the broiler. He'd buy expensive steaks then cook them until they were like shoe leather.

My father in law used to make steaks using the broiler. He'd buy expensive steaks then cook them until they were like shoe leather.
Do you have a griddle pan? Best of both worlds!
A1DA3786-0DD8-4625-9AD7-2376990E4F6E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom