• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

This was delicious. We used 4 very large garlic cloves, and fresh plum tomatoes that were delightfully firm. Leftovers at work today. :)

View attachment 44109
Oh, that looks good! I almost always love recipes from NYT. The almost because a recent foray left me....very disappointed. I am certain part of the problem was in execution but...it just was a miss.

A favorite recipe or 'recipe' from an old Italian American friend:

Fresh tomatoes from the garden, sliced into bite sized pieces.
Fresh green pepper, cut into strips and sliced about an inch or two in length
Minced garlic- one or two cloves (or more if you use a lot of tomatoes and really like garlic.

Drizzle with olive oil and let rest at room temp until serving.
Serve with crusty bread such as a baguette or ciabatta.
Quantities above are obviously flexible and to taste.

I love this as well as a simple caprese with a tomato I just picked, with basil I just picked and fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and maybe a tiny bit of olive oil. It's the best lunch!

A favorite recipe or 'recipe' from an old Italian American friend:

Fresh tomatoes from the garden, sliced into bite sized pieces.
Fresh green pepper, cut into strips and sliced about an inch or two in length
Minced garlic- one or two cloves (or more if you use a lot of tomatoes and really like garlic.

Drizzle with olive oil and let rest at room temp until serving.
Serve with crusty bread such as a baguette or ciabatta.
Quantities above are obviously flexible and to taste.

I love this as well as a simple caprese with a tomato I just picked, with basil I just picked and fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and maybe a tiny bit of olive oil. It's the best lunch!

Sounds great! I'll add some fresh basil. We have the garlic and tomatoes (and basil) from the garden, and tomorrow's farmers market will have some bell peppers of various colors... I'll report back if all goes well!

About to make some WHITE CHICKEN CHILI in a few minutes. Have to change a few ingredients.

For the chicken I'm using some frozen shredded cooked kind, 1.25 lbs.
I'm using navy beans and light kidney beans.
Instead of canned white corn, I'm using yellow corn cut fresh from the cob.
Instead of onion flakes, I'm using real onion sautéed, my usual first step for stews and one pot things.
Instead of garlic powder, I'll be using the kind that comes in a jar already minced.

I'm making it with fresh foods instead of all the powders and flakes, but it still looks like a pretty nice recipe even the powder way if you need to save time and/or money.

Mulberries is my guess.

Murray the Mulberry tree is groaning under the multitude of fruit that he has. So I have a friend bringing her two little girls over and we are picking mulberries. :)

I am planning a luncheon of sandwiches, fresh soft bread, sliced cucumber, tomato, cheese, mini muffins….

maybe we will make some jam, though I have yet to be successful with that endeavour.

If you chop a lot of stuff into small pieces, this Pampered Chef chopper is the best. I've had mine for decades and still use it regularly.

2585-3-lg.jpg

One of my wife's high school friends owns one of the most popular bakeries in town. Every so often my wife will stop in and say hi and get some sweets. I've never been much of a sweets eater but I ate one of the cupcakes she brought home. I think I'm headed to a sugar coma. I think it was more sugar than I consume in an entire month.

Every week I order a couple of sweet onions to chop up for salads. Five out of the last seven grocery orders they have given me yellow onions and not sweet onions. I set up the substitution for bagged sweet onions in case they don't have the preferred bulk sweet onions, so they can't say it was a substitution. Just someone not realizing that they're different because they look very similar.

So I decided to use up all the yellow onions by roasting them. Super simple, didn't have thyme so using rosemary instead. Olive oil in the pan and butter, salt, pepper, and more rosemary on top.

roastingonions.jpg

And I finally got my sweet onions. I ordered both bagged and bulk just to increase my chances of actually getting one or the other and not yellow onions, so now I have a surplus of sweet onions, too. :rofl:

sweetonions.jpg

didn't have thyme so using rosemary instead
That's the problem with our modern world. Nobody seems to be able to find enough thyme.

It's a bit mean to use Rosemary though; Maybe next time ask if she'll volunteer to help? Nobody like to feel used.

I really want to make the stock next time I make a chicken recipe where broth or stock is called for. I like to have food made from scratch, but I also don't like making food from scratch, so I compromise. I typically buy chicken broth.

I've been wanting to make my own stock for decades. It's this image of a stock pot doing its thing that might just get me to do it. Look at all those delicious ingredients. (https://givememeatloaf.com/2021/01/21/chicken-cabbage-noodle-soup/#recipe)

stock_pot.png

I really want to make the stock next time I make a chicken recipe where broth or stock is called for. I like to have food made from scratch, but I also don't like making food from scratch, so I compromise. I typically buy chicken broth.

I've been wanting to make my own stock for decades. It's this image of a stock pot doing its thing that might just get me to do it. Look at all those delicious ingredients. (https://givememeatloaf.com/2021/01/21/chicken-cabbage-noodle-soup/#recipe)

View attachment 44302
It reminds my of all the different noodle dishes I've had in Japan. All very yummy.

Tonight I made a chicken curry.

I added the spice to the flour that I tossed the chopped chicken thighs fillets in to coat it. I used ground cumin and coriander seeds, turmeric and paprika.

@bilby fried these morsels until sealed.

I chopped up the trinity of veg: carrots, celery and onion, and they were fried off before adding chopped potato, chilli (only 2 mild ones), and apple.

add a bit of water and simmer the whole lot on a very low heat for a couple of hours… add some sultanas or raisins in here somewhere.

why am I impressed? Our nephew has major food allergies and HE could eat it.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Very simple meal. Cooked too much sphagetti pasta. So I have been putting pasta in a bowl, dropping a pat of butter on it and Parmesan cheese. Microwave it. Lazy boy cooking.

Nutritional yeast flakes. Why didn't anyone tell me about nooch? (That's what the crunchies call it.) I've heard it mentioned many times but I thought it was just a health supplement, like bee pollen or whatever. I had no idea how DELICIOUS this shit is! So, so good. I really love it in salad. It's a buttery umami flavor. Some people compare it to parmesan cheese. I think it's way better than parmesan.

Back
Top Bottom