• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

How would she cook it indoors?

She doesn't. I cook it on the grill on the deck whether rain, snow or sleet or -0 temperatures. There are only two excuses. 1: If snow hasn't been shoveled to create a path from the porch door to the grill we wait until a path is shoveled. 2: It's so windy that the grill won't stay lit.

In that case we don't have steak. My wife has suggested the broiler in the oven but that makes so much mess and it's my job to clean it I don't do it.
My father in law used to make steaks using the broiler. He'd buy expensive steaks then cook them until they were like shoe leather.
Do you have a griddle pan? Best of both worlds!
View attachment 44468
If it was just me and my wife we were feeding AND it if was easy to clean I might use one. But I usually cook 3 to 6 pounds at a time for a family of 4 and to have at least one night of leftovers.

I hate things that are hard to clean. With the grill I just burn it out every few week or more often if I have done 80% hamburgers.

I hate things that are hard to clean. With the grill I just burn it out every few week or more often if I have done 80% hamburgers.
We have a Jenn-Air electric downdraft range with changeable cartridges. We can swap one or the other sides with electric burner elements, a large griddle, or a grill. Even has a deep fryer cartridge. The grill is extremely difficult to clean so I stopped using it. I tried lining the bottom with foil and it cought fire. Never again.

We have a Jenn-Air electric downdraft range with changeable cartridges. We can swap one or the other sides with electric burner elements, a large griddle, or a grill. Even has a deep fryer cartridge. The grill is extremely difficult to clean so I stopped using it. I tried lining the bottom with foil and it cought fire. Never again.

What I use is a gas grill and it's easy to clean. Of course it's not really clean. Clean to me is that fat from the last grilling doesn't catch fire. It's sanitized at least. And I scrape the burnt stuff off about every month. It does down the hole and I dump the soot once a year.

How would she cook it indoors?

She doesn't. I cook it on the grill on the deck whether rain, snow or sleet or -0 temperatures. There are only two excuses. 1: If snow hasn't been shoveled to create a path from the porch door to the grill we wait until a path is shoveled. 2: It's so windy that the grill won't stay lit.

In that case we don't have steak. My wife has suggested the broiler in the oven but that makes so much mess and it's my job to clean it I don't do it.
My father in law used to make steaks using the broiler. He'd buy expensive steaks then cook them until they were like shoe leather.
Do you have a griddle pan? Best of both worlds!
View attachment 44468
If it was just me and my wife we were feeding AND it if was easy to clean I might use one. But I usually cook 3 to 6 pounds at a time for a family of 4 and to have at least one night of leftovers.

Once seasoned properly, they aren’t too bad. They are cast iron and great. I don’t use mine a lot, simply because I have mastered frying my steak, and luckily, my husband doesn’t complain about my cooking! 😸

What I use is a gas grill and it's easy to clean. Of course it's not really clean. Clean to me is that fat from the last grilling doesn't catch fire. It's sanitized at least. And I scrape the burnt stuff off about every month. It does down the hole and I dump the soot once a year.
Aahh, it’s well seasoned! 😆

If you're using it correctly, it all gets hot enough that you won't get sick - no bacterium or virus can survive at the working temperature.

So the only considerations for cleaning are whether it makes attractive and tasty food (depends on how picky the eaters are, and whether they like burnt crunchy bits); And whether it is safe (a fat fire might be hazardous).

And whether it is safe (a fat fire might be hazardous).

I burn it out when I start to get fat fires. I keep some water handy. Fat fires are most likely when the previous meal was using 80% hamburger. We prefer 85% but that hasn't been available since the pandemic started. 90% is expensive and gets too dry.

I burn it out when I start to get fat fires. I keep some water handy. Fat fires are most likely when the previous meal was using 80% hamburger. We prefer 85% but that hasn't been available since the pandemic started. 90% is expensive and gets too dry.
Can you make your own?

Can you make your own?
Mix 80% and 90%? Ya. Did it once. I'd rather deal with grease fires. Easier.

Can you make your own?
Mix 80% and 90%? Ya. Did it once. I'd rather deal with grease fires. Easier.
I use low fat for meatloaf and meat balls but higher for burgers.

I wonder who the genius was that thought up top sliced hot dog buns. They work so much better than the side sliced.

I hate taco shells that fold in on themselves when they are toasted.

The new square bottom ones are much better.
Yup, kinda the same deal as the hot dog buns. Although I prefer the soft flour tortillas.

La Banderita makes some great low carb flour tortillas.

I wonder who the genius was that thought up top sliced hot dog buns. They work so much better than the side sliced.
Yes! Symmetry goes hand-in-hand with structural integrity, at least when it comes to hotdogs.

Yes! Symmetry goes hand-in-hand with structural integrity, at least when it comes to hotdogs.
Can you get them where they shove the bun lengthways on a heated spike to create a lengthways whole in the centre of the bun that the sausage gets dropped into?

Can you get them where they shove the bun lengthways on a heated spike to create a lengthways whole in the centre of the bun that the sausage gets dropped into?
Sounds like "pigs in a blanket" but those have the "bun" baked around the sausage.

Back
Top Bottom