• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I had leftover sweet potato soup from a few posts back. So so good. The ginger is still slightly too much, but after sitting in the fridge and getting reheated, it's almost perfect as far as flavor. I had seconds, which is something I rarely do. Looks awful, though. I just ordered an immersion blender so I can puree it and some turmeric for better color (hopefully).

Still have a couple bowls' worth of sweet potato soup, but I know it won't last long, so I'm prepared to make the next pot immediately upon taking the last bite of the current pot. I've got new ideas for the recipe, like an immersion blender arriving soon and got some yeast flakes and turmeric powder from the store and actually remembered to get rice. Edit: Also got red curry paste. Looking forward to trying that.

I'm looking around at other recipes for ideas as well. I like browsing through the ingredients lists of other people's recipes. That's where I got the idea for the yeast flakes. Bacon? Interesting. Probably not for my recipe, but bacon is always intriguing. NOT celery or carrots, though. Fuck off with that noise. Possibly something tomato based could go in my sweet potato soup, but maybe I'll experiment with more stuff next winter. I'm running out of cold weather up here and soup is not a comfort food when it's 90F out.

I love that life feels so good and so boringpeaceful that I can get excited about sweet potato soup. :rofl:

Last edited:
Still have a couple bowls' worth of sweet potato soup, but I know it won't last long, so I'm prepared to make the next pot immediately upon taking the last bite of the current pot. I've got new ideas for the recipe, like an immersion blender arriving soon and got some yeast flakes and turmeric powder from the store and actually remembered to get rice. Edit: Also got red curry paste. Looking forward to trying that.

I'm looking around at other recipes for ideas as well. I like browsing through the ingredients lists of other people's recipes. That's where I got the idea for the yeast flakes. Bacon? Interesting. Probably not for my recipe, but bacon is always intriguing. NOT celery or carrots, though. Fuck off with that noise. Possibly something tomato based could go in my sweet potato soup, but maybe I'll experiment with more stuff next winter. I'm running out of cold weather up here and soup is not a comfort food when it's 90F out.

I love that life feels so good and so boringpeaceful that I can get excited about sweet potato soup. :rofl:
You could make a sweet potato and pumpkin soup. I add curry powder and turmeric to mine, or garam masala. It depends on how I am feeling. But the combination of sweet potato AND pumpkin is a good one.

Sometimes, I will cut some of the veg into 1cm cubes and roast them off to add at the end for texture. Adding to that, you could also roast half the veg And mix it with the steamed/boiled ones.

You could make a sweet potato and pumpkin soup. I add curry powder and turmeric to mine, or garam masala. It depends on how I am feeling. But the combination of sweet potato AND pumpkin is a good one.

Sometimes, I will cut some of the veg into 1cm cubes and roast them off to add at the end for texture. Adding to that, you could also roast half the veg And mix it with the steamed/boiled ones.
I could mix pumpkin in, yeah. Good idea.

My spices of choice in sweet potato soup are ginger, garlic, onion, paprika, and cayenne pepper. I bought some others to try out: nutritional yeast, turmeric, and red curry paste.

I keep eking out more and more spices each time. My stomach doesn't handle spicy very well, so I typically don't eat spicy anything. But it's like a weight loss diet where a person is sort of talking themselves into just one more tiny sliver of cake, it's fine, etc. For me, it's "one more tsp of cayenne, it's fine." :rofl: Until my stomach reminds me of the limit in no uncertain terms and I go back to making delicious soups and one pots without heat. For a while. lol

I LOVE that idea of roasting some chunks to add at the end. I was thinking about removing some of the sweet potato chunks before blending and then popping them back in. Roasting is an excellent idea. I imagine that helps keep the chunks from falling apart into mush too soon as well as adding some caramelization flavor. Gayna, you're a god damn genius! :biggrin:

I could mix pumpkin in, yeah. Good idea.

My spices of choice in sweet potato soup are ginger, garlic, onion, paprika, and cayenne pepper. I bought some others to try out: nutritional yeast, turmeric, and red curry paste.

I keep eking out more and more spices each time. My stomach doesn't handle spicy very well, so I typically don't eat spicy anything. But it's like a weight loss diet where a person is sort of talking themselves into just one more tiny sliver of cake, it's fine, etc. For me, it's "one more tsp of cayenne, it's fine." :rofl: Until my stomach reminds me of the limit in no uncertain terms and I go back to making delicious soups and one pots without heat. For a while. lol

I LOVE that idea of roasting some chunks to add at the end. I was thinking about removing some of the sweet potato chunks before blending and then popping them back in. Roasting is an excellent idea. I imagine that helps keep the chunks from falling apart into mush too soon as well as adding some caramelization flavor. Gayna, you're a god damn genius! :biggrin:
I don’t know about the genius bit. With the roasting, you could dust them with the spices rather than put it in the soup. Also, roasting them till they are just charred caramelises them adding a sweetness that counters the spices.

Madam, the crimson nectar of the porcine was once a staple of my regimen, but I have since discovered the pursuit of the cony to be more convenient. The flesh of the timid hare is replete with sustenance, and its blood more efficacious for the quenching of one's thirst than any other potable.

Moreover, the raw flesh of the rabbit, be it muscle or viscera, surpasses even the finest cuts of sashimi in taste and texture.

Only when I partake of such fare do I find myself free of all maladies.

Decided to try a crock pot full of chicken breast and sauerkraut with a bit of apple. I wanted to add mushrooms but simply forgot to buy them and didn't want to go out again. The house smells damn good already but things need to cook for another five hours, then I'll let it sit so everything reabsorbs. In all it was 5.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast meat and four pounds of kraut. I will miss those mushrooms.

Decided to try a crock pot full of chicken breast and sauerkraut with a bit of apple. I wanted to add mushrooms but simply forgot to buy them and didn't want to go out again. The house smells damn good already but things need to cook for another five hours, then I'll let it sit so everything reabsorbs. In all it was 5.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast meat and four pounds of kraut. I will miss those mushrooms.
I did something similar the other day. I was meant to do a stir fry, but gave up, chucked the marinated chicken rough chopped zucchini and capsicum and mushrooms into a casserole dish and chucked it in the oven. When cooked, stirred hokkein noodles through it. Wasn’t too bad.

Mmmm, I love kraut.

Mmmm, I love kraut.
Never did chicken and kraut in a crockpot before but it turned out great.

I had planned for us to have a pork midloin steak with sautéed mushrooms, and a cucumber/tomato/corn/dill pickle salad.

As I go through my fridge, I notice the cherry tomatoes are a little sad looking as are the zucchini. So I chopped these up, added them to some oil left over from a jar of sundried tomatoes, and sautéed that together. And did the steak in butter in a different pan. It came out good!

I had planned for us to have a pork midloin steak with sautéed mushrooms, and a cucumber/tomato/corn/dill pickle salad.

As I go through my fridge, I notice the cherry tomatoes are a little sad looking as are the zucchini. So I chopped these up, added them to some oil left over from a jar of sundried tomatoes, and sautéed that together. And did the steak in butter in a different pan. It came out good!

That sounds amazing. Is this the configuration of all your meals? Meaning a protein and vegetable and no side starch? This is how I've been eating for years. Only when I make a dish that I like eating with bread do I have that side carb, but I use the keto bread anyway, so it's not like a pile of mashed potatoes. I have oatmeal every morning and sometimes later in the day if the hankering takes me, so I'm not missing out on carbs by any means. I think skipping the side carb most meals is healthier, without having any particular low-carb restrictions like counting carbs or whatever.

Having my porridge late today. I got up at around 4 am because my nose is stopped up and not being able to breathe through my nose woke me up. It was miserable. A couple hours later when my nose cleared a bit, I went back to bed and slept a few more hours.

I'm going to be making beef and chicken fajitas for dinner tonight. La Banderita low carb flour tortillas are excellent for this.

That sounds amazing. Is this the configuration of all your meals? Meaning a protein and vegetable and no side starch? This is how I've been eating for years. Only when I make a dish that I like eating with bread do I have that side carb, but I use the keto bread anyway, so it's not like a pile of mashed potatoes. I have oatmeal every morning and sometimes later in the day if the hankering takes me, so I'm not missing out on carbs by any means. I think skipping the side carb most meals is healthier, without having any particular low-carb restrictions like counting carbs or whatever.

Having my porridge late today. I got up at around 4 am because my nose is stopped up and not being able to breathe through my nose woke me up. It was miserable. A couple hours later when my nose cleared a bit, I went back to bed and slept a few more hours.
Our meals vary de on any number of factors. This week has consisted of: IIRC
Sunday: crackling with roast pork.
Monday: Maccas
Tuesday: sausages (good quality ones from a proper butcher not those supermarket imitation crap ones) with a potato bake - slices of potato, layered With any or all o the following depending on how much I want to make - onion, mushrooms, roast pork or bacon, tomato, zucchini- and topped with cheese.
Wednesday: bean casserole with rice - various beans cooked with chorizo, ham, tomatoes, mushrooms and any other veg I want to chuck in, and chilli.
Thursday: pork steak and the mushroom, tomatoes and zucchini I mentioned above.
Tonight is chicken Kiev (a not so good supermarket one) and salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, dill pickles, sun dried tomatoes and corn.

I just try and make what I feel like, and that Bilby would eat. :)

When either of us has a hint of the lurgy, we do something with chilli and ginger in it,, :)

Being St. Patrick's day my wife made corned beef, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot and my son made fresh bread in the new machine.

Back
Top Bottom