• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Cosplay Melee
4/10

I hate this type of reality TV show. If it's not Iron Chef, I'm just not interested in any reality TV competition shows.

But on the other hand, it's full of nerds being nerdy, which is endearing. The show is bad, but I can't stop watching.

Actually, there were a number of technological advances in building during the middle ages. What was lacking from the Roman period was not know-how, it was resources. In fact, it was this very lack of resources that spurred innovation in building. We went from the Roman to Romanesque, and on to the Gothic modes of architecture. The Roman methods were very wasteful of materials: Roman buildings stood the test of time because they were overbuilt. The romanesque and later gothic styles were steps towards greater lightness and structural efficiency. The pointed arch, for example, was a more efficient at reducing the lateral thrust of the arches than the round roman arch. The romans didn't care about such things because they thought nothing of building massive walls and buttresses to contain them. Slavery and efficient transportation kept prices down. But with a small, expensive workforce and limited area to draw materials from, the medieval architects had to think a bit harder.

Sure. But you are talking about the Middle Ages; Whereas the Vikings pre-date that period, and are at the end of the Dark Ages (in England, the Roman period ended in about 410CE (although Roman structures and customs persisted until the middle of the 5th Century), and the Medieval period is usually considered to begin with the Norman conquest of 1066, with the intervening period of about 600 years being the 'Dark Ages'.

The Dark Ages are so called largely due to a paucity of archaeological evidence from the period; and this absence of evidence is largely due to the use of perishable building materials, such as wood and leather, rather than more durable materials such as masonry and iron.

Cosplay Melee
4/10

I hate this type of reality TV show. If it's not Iron Chef, I'm just not interested in any reality TV competition shows.

But on the other hand, it's full of nerds being nerdy, which is endearing. The show is bad, but I can't stop watching.

Confession: I like Survivor
Ant-farm view into sociological quirks, how people deal with each other's idiosyncrasies and which traits dominate in small, tribal scenarios...
Terrible, I know.

The Walking Dead - 7/10

This show really goes up and down. I just binge watched up until the end of season six on Netflix and it starts out great, drops into a hole and then pops up again. Season six was OK, but this Negan guy and his group whom they introduced as the main baddies for season seven seem particularly lame and I could probably hold off another five years before bothering to pick this series up again. If they were going to have this character, they should have just kept the Governor alive and let him do it since the personality would have been a decent progression from his character as opposed to having not-Governor painfully over-act his way through shit I stopped caring about thirty seconds after he came onto the screen.

I have about 3 episodes left to go in season 7, and though I may be in the minority, I think it is a great season. Negan is not at all like the Governor, who tried to hide his insanity from his people, albeit unsuccessfully. Negan embraces his insanity, and puts it on full display for everyone, using it to rule by fear and intimidation. I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a great job with the role as well. Negan is much more powerful than the Governor, and has larger ambitions. He forces Rick and the rest of his band of survivors into some uncomfortable decisions, and I think he is the best villain so far in the show's run. Even with the dark places it takes Rick and company, they still manage to have some fun with the season by introducing The Kingdom into the mix.

The Walking Dead - 7/10

This show really goes up and down. I just binge watched up until the end of season six on Netflix and it starts out great, drops into a hole and then pops up again. Season six was OK, but this Negan guy and his group whom they introduced as the main baddies for season seven seem particularly lame and I could probably hold off another five years before bothering to pick this series up again. If they were going to have this character, they should have just kept the Governor alive and let him do it since the personality would have been a decent progression from his character as opposed to having not-Governor painfully over-act his way through shit I stopped caring about thirty seconds after he came onto the screen.

I have about 3 episodes left to go in season 7, and though I may be in the minority, I think it is a great season. Negan is not at all like the Governor, who tried to hide his insanity from his people, albeit unsuccessfully. Negan embraces his insanity, and puts it on full display for everyone, using it to rule by fear and intimidation. I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a great job with the role as well. Negan is much more powerful than the Governor, and has larger ambitions. He forces Rick and the rest of his band of survivors into some uncomfortable decisions, and I think he is the best villain so far in the show's run. Even with the dark places it takes Rick and company, they still manage to have some fun with the season by introducing The Kingdom into the mix.

Ya, that's what I meant by his being a progression of the Governor's character. He drops the act and is just himself. I'd prefer the other actor doing that role. Maybe Negan gets better, but I was just rolling my eyes all throughout the last episode of season six whenever his group showed up and I thought the scene at the end with Jeffrey Dean Morgan just had him being way too hammy and overdone.

I've been rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because, uh, Joss is a genius, and I'm nearing the end of Season 5. Man, this was a dark season. 10/10

I'm torn by Buffy.

On the one hand, I was older than the target audience when I first watched it, so it feels like kiddie stuff.

On the other hand, it's one of the best female empowerment fantasies ever.

Well, it grows out of the kiddie stuff after a couple of seasons. I just finished season 5 and it's pretty dark, serious, and addresses some heavy topics (watch "The Body", such a powerful episode). But the main thing is that it is just so well written and executed. Joss really knows what he's doing, putting a TV show together. The depth of the characters, the wit and aptness of the dialogue, his wonderful sense of humor and timing sensibilities. There's very little to criticize about the show. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished with Firefly had he been given the chance.

Well, the Vikings developed the clinker hull during that time period. At least someone was innovating.

Well, the Vikings developed the clinker hull during that time period. At least someone was innovating.

I don't think many modern historians are of the opinion that the Dark Ages were a time of stagnation; there were certainly many innovative things done during that time. But not much was done using materials that are readily preserved for archaeologists to find, so far less is known about that period than about the times before and since.

With notable exceptions in boggy places, most dark age buildings are barely detectable, with only the traces of post holes and foundation timbers remaining. They might have been terrific and impressive in their day, but if we can't find them, we can't know.

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)

I've only watched two episodes, but so far, so awesome. The great thing about series on Netflix, Hulu, etc., is that they don't have to be edited and scrubbed of the darkness of their source material, and this show is a great example of that. I don't want to ruin with spoilers, but suffice it to say that this is easily the best series Hulu has featured.

Early on but 10/10

Superheroes Decoded
7/10

More interesting than I was expecting considering that I've already seen an awful lot of documentaries on comic books. Only two episodes.

I've only watched two episodes, but so far, so awesome. The great thing about series on Netflix, Hulu, etc., is that they don't have to be edited and scrubbed of the darkness of their source material, and this show is a great example of that. I don't want to ruin with spoilers, but suffice it to say that this is easily the best series Hulu has featured.

Early on but 10/10

Is it on Netflix? I've been watching on Hulu and I'm not thrilled with the commercial interruptions....

But EXCELLENT so far.

I'm torn by Buffy.

On the one hand, I was older than the target audience when I first watched it, so it feels like kiddie stuff.

On the other hand, it's one of the best female empowerment fantasies ever.

Well, it grows out of the kiddie stuff after a couple of seasons. I just finished season 5 and it's pretty dark, serious, and addresses some heavy topics (watch "The Body", such a powerful episode). But the main thing is that it is just so well written and executed. Joss really knows what he's doing, putting a TV show together. The depth of the characters, the wit and aptness of the dialogue, his wonderful sense of humor and timing sensibilities. There's very little to criticize about the show. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished with Firefly had he been given the chance.
One word, "wit".

My one goal in life is to invent a machine that can send me to an alternate reality where Firefly ran a full series arc... and shown in its original order. It would likely also be where Babylon 5 was properly funded.

Rewatching Game of Thrones. Just finished Season 3. This show is so remarkably put together. The obvious anxiety isn't there anymore, now you know how certain characters are going to act, but the subtle portions of the plot, which gently foreshadow the future events are well placed. This show is hands down one of the best shows ever.

Early on but 10/10

Is it on Netflix? I've been watching on Hulu and I'm not thrilled with the commercial interruptions....

But EXCELLENT so far.

It's only on Hulu. I pay the extra couple of bucks to not have to put up with commercials. It's very much worth it.

You wouldn't kill Hitler? [emoji19]
I'm jumping to an alternate reality, not traveling back in time. Geesh! *facepalm*

;)

Well, to kill Hitler you would need to do both, as he wasn't killed by a time traveler in this reality (or if he was, they were more than a little tardy).

kill_hitler.png

Back
Top Bottom