• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

So watched the newest episode of elementary today (S4E22) and while fairly good there was a particular spoiler point that really made no sense

There was a personality test that had people who had taken an online personality test which the websites people used to find psychopaths. So far that sounds cool. One was later hired as a killer and the other was used as an attempted suicide bomber. Psychopaths would be an OKC type bomber, but not suicide.

Speaking of Netflix, we just binge watched Bloodline. Holy crap, great great show. Immediately went close to the top of one of my favorite all time dramas. Great acting. Amazing scenery and sound affects. Good story. Highly recommended. 10/10

Hmm, I got three episodes in and bailed. Was I premature? Should I give it more time ?

Having just finished binge watching Breaking Bad, I am about halfway through the first (only?) season of Better Call Saul. Really enjoying it and look forward to seeing where they go so as to end up with the character being who he was in Breaking Bad.

Having just finished binge watching Breaking Bad, I am about halfway through the first (only?) season of Better Call Saul. Really enjoying it and look forward to seeing where they go so as to end up with the character being who he was in Breaking Bad.
the second season just finished a week or two ago.

Just started watching The Americans. On May Day no less. It has held my attention for five episodes so far. Deep cover Soviet agents living in early 1980s America doing KGB things while pretending to be travel agents.

Not bad at all, comrades.

Just started watching The Americans. On May Day no less. It has held my attention for five episodes so far. Deep cover Soviet agents living in early 1980s America doing KGB things while pretending to be travel agents.

Not bad at all, comrades.

That is quietly the best show on TV IMO.

The Path

It's a show on Hulu about a cult. I'm only two episodes in, but it's intriguing so far. The characters and storyline are already well developed and believable. I give it an early:

8/10

Masters of Sex Season 3 9/10

I was really diggin' this series. They covered so much sexual territory without muddling the story. Now on about episode 10 either I've burned out on it or the writers have pretty much shot their load.

10,000 BC...a bunch of dweebs are taken to a remote forest and provided with stone age gear and left to survive. Entertaining in a way.

Rome (HBO)

Listened to this lecture series on ancient Rome and re-watched the HBO series Rome.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/history-of-ancient-rome.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384766/

I can recommend doing that. Made every scene pop out so much more. It added a depth and understanding to each scene I hadn't had before. It felt more right, which made the emotional impact so much greater, making it a better show.

While the series took some minor historical liberties, overall the artistic licence is very limited compared to other "historical" dramas. This is a show by and for history nerds. The stuff people are complaining about in forums is very minor. It's stuff that Cato while being extremely conservative was in reality very young. Instead they cast an old actor. Minor details like that.

the second season just finished a week or two ago.

Indeed. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than Breaking Bad.

I am binge watching everything the ABC broadcast on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for the last 6 weeks.

No Offence was a brilliant cop show, as is Cuffs. Death in Paradise, on the other hand, is proof that the Poms aren't perfect.

I am binge watching everything the ABC broadcast on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for the last 6 weeks.

No Offence was a brilliant cop show, as is Cuffs. Death in Paradise, on the other hand, is proof that the Poms aren't perfect.

The first couple of series of Death in Paradise were pretty good; but the BBC should have given up when Ben Miller declined to sign on for season three. Kris Marshall has done some good acting, but he is completely wrong for that role, and the major story hook - detective hates working in tropical paradise and wants nothing more than to go home to dreary London - couldn't be spun out beyond two series; So series three and onwards lacks a reason to exist, and a sufficiently skilled cast to overcome that lack.

If you haven't seen the first series, I can highly recommend it - the contrast with the later episodes is stark.

Nearly up to Season 7 in Bones. The thing that makes Bones work is the characters. In all honesty, some of the episodes are just too easy to figure out. There have been a couple recent episodes where I've known who did it just by seeing the character the first time on the screen. That is not good for a murder mystery set up. Typically, the only time I can't figure it out is when they either use a convoluted explanation or some character that was barely in the show was the killer... for no particular reason.

But the main characters themselves and the banter between them is great.

The first couple of series of Death in Paradise were pretty good; but the BBC should have given up when Ben Miller declined to sign on for season three. Kris Marshall has done some good acting, but he is completely wrong for that role, and the major story hook - detective hates working in tropical paradise and wants nothing more than to go home to dreary London - couldn't be spun out beyond two series; So series three and onwards lacks a reason to exist, and a sufficiently skilled cast to overcome that lack.

If you haven't seen the first series, I can highly recommend it - the contrast with the later episodes is stark.

That isn't my only objection. I did enjoy the first series. Now it's formulaic to an extent that I don't think I've seen in any other show. Cluedo onscreen. One of the shows I just half watched was a plot that they made with Miller - and then remade with Marshall. Killing me a bit because I like Marshall in his other roles. I think he could be good in this if each episode had been written instead of reshuffled.

Watching Holy Land Hardball, a documentary about baseball in Israel. Just now it showed a stream of men with luggage moving from the US to Israel to play baseball, and one of them is singing, "Let my people gooooooo" in a deep, presumably Moses-like voice and then laughing his head off. Not done watching but I give it a high rating so far.

Now watching Lucifer, season 1. I'm only just starting episode 4, so I can't say much so far beyond that I like it but that I was hoping for much more of an envelope-stretching, taboo-shaking kind of portrayal of the Devil hisownself. After all, the Angel of Light does represent our understanding of evil. They coulda really challenged our more infantile beliefs about what's good and what's evil. I like that the show makes him likeable and funny, but not almighty in his power. I don't like that they make him a little bit afraid of Amenadiel, but kudos for making it Amenadiel who says the line, "I love war," and not Lucifer.

Now watching Lucifer, season 1. I'm only just starting episode 4, so I can't say much so far beyond that I like it but that I was hoping for much more of an envelope-stretching, taboo-shaking kind of portrayal of the Devil hisownself. After all, the Angel of Light does represent our understanding of evil. They coulda really challenged our more infantile beliefs about what's good and what's evil. I like that the show makes him likeable and funny, but not almighty in his power. I don't like that they make him a little bit afraid of Amenadiel, but kudos for making it Amenadiel who says the line, "I love war," and not Lucifer.

Keep watching. Some episodes are kickass and do exactly that.

I've been afraid to watch that show because major network TV is so consistently bad. There is no idea or concept too great for them to ruin.

But I'll give it a shot.

On your recommendation.

I'll come back with a demand for the several hours of my life back if it's awful. ;)

Back
Top Bottom