• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

White college students: riot and destroy property. Police: “Meh.”

That is not an example, it is a statement.

Well now, that's not overly dramatic at all...

Reductions in the police force lead to increased crime, including violent crime.

Since I have not said anything about reductions in the police force, I suppose I don't have to worry about washing the blood off my hands now.

If defunding the police does not mean fewer police, what does it mean?

Since I have not said anything about reductions in the police force, I suppose I don't have to worry about washing the blood off my hands now.

That seems a bit off topic for this thread. If you would like to learn what it means, however, I understand there are some obscure features of the internet that people call "search engines" that might help enlighten you.

That seems a bit off topic for this thread. If you would like to learn what it means, however, I understand there are some obscure features of the internet that people call "search engines" that might help enlighten you.

No, I am not interested in what it means to other people. I'm interested in what you mean by it. Are you advocating to defund the police? And if you are, what do you mean by 'defund the police'?

No, I am not interested in what it means to other people. I'm interested in what you mean by it. Are you advocating to defund the police? And if you are, what do you mean by 'defund the police'?

example: take the money used to pay people who are victims of police misconduct from the police retirement coffers

I told you what I was advocating for earlier. You should pay attention.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...ave-students-angry-wanting-answers/7284583002

Taras, an Ohio State senior studying strategic communications and business, had been hanging out at her neighbor's house on Chittenden Avenue while nearly 1,000 students partied outside their door at "ChittFest," an annual block party held the day of OSU's spring football game.

“The police dispatcher told me, and I quote, 'They have other things to worry about and they'll come down when it's safe for them,'" said Taras, 22, of Cleveland. "I'm really disappointed there were no police there."

Students such as Taras are still angry that police officers didn't respond sooner. She wondered why officers didn't respond to students destroying property the same way they responded to Black Lives Matter protesters over the summer.

"What does that have to say about this summer? People were peacefully protesting and got pepper sprayed. People flip cars on campus and nothing. No repercussions, no arrests," Taras said.

Damage to buildng, cars and people.
But, don’t worry, they were white.

The obvious difference is that students destroy stuff while happy, drunk and partying, whereas blacks destroy stuff while angry, sober and wanting to loot.

I say that if we really want better police outcomes: upfund the police. Pay them more, train the better, train them much better, screen them more, demand more from them, and provide them with better support.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...ave-students-angry-wanting-answers/7284583002

Taras, an Ohio State senior studying strategic communications and business, had been hanging out at her neighbor's house on Chittenden Avenue while nearly 1,000 students partied outside their door at "ChittFest," an annual block party held the day of OSU's spring football game.

“The police dispatcher told me, and I quote, 'They have other things to worry about and they'll come down when it's safe for them,'" said Taras, 22, of Cleveland. "I'm really disappointed there were no police there."

Students such as Taras are still angry that police officers didn't respond sooner. She wondered why officers didn't respond to students destroying property the same way they responded to Black Lives Matter protesters over the summer.

"What does that have to say about this summer? People were peacefully protesting and got pepper sprayed. People flip cars on campus and nothing. No repercussions, no arrests," Taras said.

Damage to buildng, cars and people.
But, don’t worry, they were white.

The obvious difference is that students destroy stuff while happy, drunk and partying, whereas blacks destroy stuff while angry, sober and wanting to loot.

28911966-8363407-Bystanders_filmed_the_looters_as_disorder_began_in_the_streets_o-a-43_159065443.jpg

example: take the money used to pay people who are victims of police misconduct from the police retirement coffers

I understand the impulse but: by reducing retirement funds, you merely keep the same police officers you want to punish because they do bad things on their job--on their same job longer because they can't afford to retire as early.

I say that if we really want better police outcomes: upfund the police. Pay them more, train the better, train them much better, screen them more, demand more from them, and provide them with better support.

I'm with you on this.
Additionally, start adding other kinds of professionals, like mental health care and social workers. In the long run we could probably offset the new expenses by reducing the costs of "traditional" law enforcement. But the short term will be a boost in spending, a big one.
Tom

I understand the impulse but: by reducing retirement funds, you merely keep the same police officers you want to punish because they do bad things on their job--on their same job longer because they can't afford to retire as early.

While simultaneously motivating the other cops to cover up dysfunctional police behavior, to protect their pensions.
Tom

View attachment 33119
How do you know they are students? And the responsible dad with a child car seat is black.
Nobody said that whites don't partake in looting started by BLM protests. It's just white students riots are usually just drunk parties.

Bold added. And that's they key. Policing and teaching should be among the most sought after, well compensated jobs in the whole economy. Put them in the top 5% and you'll get quality applicants and a quality product.

That's not an answer to the question. I'll ask again, if the police could not make you accountable, what crimes would you commit?

It depends on what you mean by 'the police'. If there was no State apparatus to enforce trans ideology, for example, I would probably feel okay to say 'trans women are men' on social media. At the moment in Australia, the State could punish me for saying that. But those complaints are handled by tribunals and not the police as such.

As for crimes the police would ordinarily attend? None.

If your desire to insult people you don't know is the limit of your antisocial behavior, the money spent to to prevent you from committing crimes against life and property is certainly wasted and could be used for better purposes.

I'm with you on this.
Additionally, start adding other kinds of professionals, like mental health care and social workers. In the long run we could probably offset the new expenses by reducing the costs of "traditional" law enforcement. But the short term will be a boost in spending, a big one.
Tom

The mental health system is a disaster in the US. It's an extremely difficult problem. And I can tell you from personal experience, that even experts (psychiatrists) greatly struggle to help mentally sick people. I saw a report years ago that reported that up to 30% of homeless people were mentally ill.

While simultaneously motivating the other cops to cover up dysfunctional police behavior, to protect their pensions.
Tom

I also wanted to address this issue: people naturally cover for each other. This is a natural trait. Bankers cover for other bankers. Soldiers cover for other soldiers. Teachers cover for bad teachers. Doctors cover for bad doctors. Air Traffic Controllers cover for bad Air Traffic Controllers, and etc. It's human nature. When people work together, they bond, and they cover for each other. Cops are no different than any other profession in this trait.

when do you expect this strategy to work?

Within three years of raising starting pay to $150k and making existing cops compete with new applicants for the job.

It already works. Canadian police officers are paid $40,000 more on average than American police officers. They receive more training and more highly screened. US police use "force" six times more than Canadian police.

https://online.wlu.ca/news/2017/01/03/policing-canada-vs-policing-usa

Back
Top Bottom