• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Seriously?
You posted a link to Fox opinions about an opinion in the NYT about the opinions of the CDC?

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to your mainstream media sources.
Tom

Well, yeah. The NYT has lost a lot of its credibility. But whatcha gonna do?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

Use good judgment factoring in a raft of information.

A) They were scrambling to deal with a novel virus, with unknown characteristics.
B) They were dealing with an uninformed public. I didn't know much.
C) They were dealing with presidential leadership perfectly willing to lie and mislead for his own benefit, at huge cost to the American people. That's been clearly demonstrated.

There's a start on why I don't believe everything I hear from the media concerning C19 or CDC response to it.
Tom

Bill Maher has covid. Probably got it from the anti-vaxxers he's had on his program.

AOC vlogged on a vaccine bus that has been visiting various places in New York City.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Vacunabus is in the building! (/street!) 🚎

I’m really excited about this project. Vaccine equity isn’t just about encouraging people to get vaccines, it’s about bringing vaccines to the people!

Shout out to @NYCMayorsOffice & @KarinesReyes87 for helping us make it happen ✨ (vid link)" / Twitter

With an Insta story captured in an attached video.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "When @NYCMayorsOffice’s launched the first buses in Sunset Park, we knew we needed them in Castle Hill with outreach in Bengali, Spanish, & more.

Read more about the effort here: (link)" / Twitter

COVID Vaccine: City Rolls Out Bus To Get As Many Hard-To-Reach New Yorkers Vaccinated As Possible – CBS New York

Someone asked how accessible the bus is.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "@CardenOfMilk @NYCMayorsOffice @KarinesReyes87 Yes! The bus is fully ADA/wheelchair accessible. And if anyone can’t / prefer not to get on the bus for any reason, we also have a 1 person tent on the street ♿💜" / Twitter

NYC Mayor's Office on Twitter: "Bringing the VAX to the BX. Best way to spend a Friday in NYC with @NYCMayor and @AOC

Get your shot at 1270 Castle Hill Avenue in The Bronx until 8 PM today or from 11 AM to 7 PM tomorrow. #NYCVaccineForAll (pic link)" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Don’t like making appointments? …”
Don’t like making appointments? Neither do I! That’s why we worked w/ @nycmayorsoffice + @karinesreyes87 to bring a walk-up vaccine bus to the Bronx 🚎 💉 Just roll up and get your shot. Bus is here today + tomorrow. Tell your tíos, aunties & cousins - multilingual outreach workers are here to answer any and all questions. Vaccines are safe, effective, and FREE! I got Pfizer, and the mayor got J+J. Check out @repaoc for details.

Seriously?
You posted a link to Fox opinions about an opinion in the NYT about the opinions of the CDC?

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to your mainstream media sources.
Tom

Well, yeah. The NYT has lost a lot of its credibility. But whatcha gonna do?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

A) They were scrambling to deal with a novel virus, with unknown characteristics.
C) They were dealing with presidential leadership perfectly willing to lie and mislead for his own benefit, at huge cost to the American people. That's been clearly demonstrated.

There's a start on why I don't believe everything I hear from the media concerning C19 or CDC response to it.
Tom

Somewhat agree with skepticism of media and the CDC. Don’t recall any reports or guidance that people lose weight and exercise to reduce their risk. Instead it’s free donuts if you get the jab. So stupid.

Tom

Somewhat agree with skepticism of media and the CDC. Don’t recall any reports or guidance that people lose weight and exercise to reduce their risk. Instead it’s free donuts if you get the jab. So stupid.

If everything you believe about the CDC comes from Fox repeating Trump tweets, I can understand why you'd post this.

Otherwise, not so much.
Tom

Somewhat agree with skepticism of media and the CDC.

How about skepticism of Trump and his "it's no worse than a cold" or his "we'll have the country open again by Easter" or any of the other lies Trump told during 2020?

Are you skeptical about all that?
Tom

New York Times rips in to the CDC;

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is finally catching up to the science. For months, research about Covid-19 has pointed to two encouraging patterns. First, the underlying virus that causes Covid rarely spreads outdoors. Second — and even more important — fully vaccinated people are at virtually no risk of serious disease and only a minuscule risk of spreading the virus to others. But the C.D.C., which has long been a cautious agency, has been unwilling to highlight these facts. It has instead focused on tiny risks — risks that are smaller than those from, say, taking a car trip.
etc..

NYT

Those of us that actually "follow the science and data" already knew this but authoritarians hate science and data.

SO yeah, I'm not wearing a fucking mask ! :hysterical:

You have made it very clear you're not following the science, continuing to cite right-wing talking points that were disproven long ago.

I don't know what to believe anymore, considering that 8 members of the Yankee baseball team, who were all fully vaccinated are now COVID positive. We've known that vaccinated people have a slight chance of getting COVID, but it's weird that so many who have been vaccinated are still getting COVID. Most will be asymptomatic, but still......
Well I think the chances of getting infected are in part dependent on how much of the virus you are exposed to. Sort of like how a phone might be water resistant, but if you drop it into a lake for an hour that resistance isn't going to protect it. You get a bunch of baseball players crowded into a locker room with one or more infected people, the chance of the spread go up.

Exactly. The vaccine is like increasing the water resistance, there is no such thing as waterproof.

We are vaccinated here, but a couple people in the house have to go into work where they will be exposed to a bunch of people, some of whom have ended up being infected. The frequent exposures and question of variant strains of virus means we haven't changed how we do things even after vaccination.

A year ago I had said I'd feel it is over when the state went two weeks without any new infections reported..... that seems a long way off....

Yup. If it were just the original strain around I'd ease up a bit, but who knows with the variants? My mask stays on unless I'm sure everyone around me is vaccinated. I'm not even going to demand no cases for two weeks, but I want to see a lot better numbers than we have now. (And living in the gambling center of the US I doubt that's going to happen for some time--too many risk-takers come here.)

That's a very strong accusation.
Got anything to back it up with, besides the claims of Trump the Birther? Got a way to explain hundreds of thousands of deaths and economic damage caused by his deliberate misleading of the public?
Tom

There was never any evidence to support significant risk of outdoor transmission, was there? The guidance to stay indoors away from fresh air and the sun was really stupid.

There certainly was.

Before we knew how easily spread, under what circumstances, there were very good reasons for overly cautious recommendations. And even now, "outdoors" is a broad category. There's a huge difference between an hour in the woods alone and an hour at a crowded rally or on a busy sidewalk. Like I keep saying, it's about using good judgement.

Tom

ETA ~Perhaps you want to answer my question? How was the CDC deliberately misleading the public? ~
~Also, where was the guidance to stay inside?~

And there still is. Outdoor safe? Sorry, but in the hiking groups I see picture after picture after picture that are clearly unsafe. I've even seen hikes labeled no carpool/social distancing required and then they post a group photo at the objective. If everyone actually behaved out there I wouldn't worry about it. However, when I find 8 violations of leave no trace in 2 miles, including a turd right on the trail, I don't expect good Covid safety, either.

It’s just baffling to see kids playing at the park or beach wearing masks. They got psycho parents. My kids: no masks. Covid is the disease of the unfit and unhealthy. Lose a few pounds, cut the carbs, get some exercise and sun. You’ll be okay.

1) You got some way to get younger again? Age is a substantial risk even once you control for other health issues.

2) Getting a light case of it doesn't mean you escape without lung damage.

3) 80% of those who get Covid have lasting symptoms: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90966

4) Lots of healthy, fit doctors died of it because the more you're exposed to the worse a case you'll get.

TSwizzle, the only thing that those parents are guilty of is being overly cautious. Hatred of them is uncalled for.

Hilarious. But in any event, I am not going to be screaming “take the fucking mask off you fucking non covidiot, non rat licker you” or try to shame them or scold them. Doesn’t bother me one bit. As long as they stay in their lane and mind their business.

TSwizzle, the only thing that those parents are guilty of is being overly cautious. Hatred of them is uncalled for.

Hilarious. But in any event, I am not going to be screaming “take the fucking mask off you fucking non covidiot, non rat licker you” or try to shame them or scold them. Doesn’t bother me one bit. As long as they stay in their lane and mind their business.

Not a Tucker fan, then?

Fuck "stay in their lane and mind their business". This is a society. It is all their lane, and it's all their business.

IMG_5902.JPG

... So stupid.

If everything you believe about the CDC comes from Fox repeating Trump tweets, I can understand why you'd post this.

Otherwise, not so much.
Tom

Somewhat agree with skepticism of media and the CDC.

How about skepticism of Trump and his "it's no worse than a cold" or his "we'll have the country open again by Easter" or any of the other lies Trump told during 2020?

Are you skeptical about all that?
Tom

Tom, please PM me if Trausti responds to your questions.

I find it intriguing to try to understand right-wing "thought."

Back
Top Bottom