• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
You seem to be talkng up Whitmer as vp. I am telling you why that is highly unlikely. Are we done?
We don't have to agree with you. Has the "common wisdom" been working out well for the Democrats these past three years? I for one do not think blind adherence to political dogmas a few decades old is necessarily the path to the White House. If all the Old Rules of Washington still applied, we wouldn't have a foul-mouthed divorcee felon on the Republican ticket.

You seem to be talkng up Whitmer as vp. I am telling you why that is highly unlikely. Are we done?
We don't have to agree with you. Has the "common wisdom" been working out well for the Democrats these past three years? I for one do not think blind adherence to political "dogmas" a few decades old is necessarily the path to the White House. If all the old rules of Washignton still applied, we wouldn't have a divorced felon on the Republican ticket.

Quite possibly true, and she will pick Whitmer. Want to bet? Also, I did not say anyone “has to” agree with me. I would like evidence and arguments for claims of unlikely things, rather than mere empty assertions.

We don't have to agree with you. Has the "common wisdom" been working out well for the Democrats these past three years? I for one do not think blind adherence to political "dogmas" a few decades old is necessarily the path to the White House. If all the old rules of Washignton still applied, we wouldn't have a divorced felon on the Republican ticket.

Quite possibly true, and she will pick Whitmer. Want to bet? Also, I did not say anyone “has to” agree with me. I would like evidence and arguments for claims of unlikely things, rather than mere empty assertions.
What odds are you offering?

What odds are you offering?
1, 3, 5, 7, 9, ....up to 23.

The job of the VP is to deliver Electoral Votes. It’s gotta be Shapiro. He can deliver Pennsylvania and that’s the most EV’s. Shapiro is the best and most logical choice.

I never said they would pick Whitmer, read better.

I did not say you said that. What are you saying?

You brought it up in the post I replied to. wtf

The Dems are not going to put two women on the ticket. If you think otherwise, make your case that they will, and also make your case that Whitmer is lying.

I initially replied to you just to say just because a politician says they're not running for something doesn't mean they won't, which shouldn't be controversial because it happens all the time. That's my point and my only point.

I never said I knew her actual belief, although you seem to think you know it just because of what she has said as if politicians only ever tell the truth.

I'm done with this now. Sorry, folks.

I think the nomination should go to Kelly.

It doesn't matter all that much if he's not great at debating. His resume, first with the Navy, then with NASA, and then in Congress, speaks for itself. We know how the man-o-sphere, and especially Donald Trump, will react to a man playing second fiddle to a woman leading the ticket. Kelly's backstory - retiring as an astronaut so he could care for his disabled wife, Representative Gabby Giffords, after she was targeted for assassination, then running for Congress so he could continue her work - is pretty compelling as a testament to decency, strength, and respect.

Kelly can directly confront the issue of Trump endorsing political violence. He's also pro-choice, which means he's a good choice when it comes to the two most compelling issues Democrats are focusing on in this election. IMO he's a bit too moderate when it comes to addressing climate change but he does speak openly about it and supports clean energy initiatives.

It doesn't matter all that much if he's not great at debating. His resume, first with the Navy, then with NASA, and then in Congress, speaks for itself. We know how the man-o-sphere, and especially Donald Trump, will react to a man playing second fiddle to a woman leading the ticket. Kelly's backstory - retiring as an astronaut so he could care for his disabled wife, Representative Gabby Giffords, after she was targeted for assassination, then running for Congress so he could continue her work - is pretty compelling as a testament to decency, strength, and respect.

Kelly can directly confront the issue of Trump endorsing political violence. He's also pro-choice, which means he's a good choice when it comes to the two most compelling issues Democrats are focusing on in this election. IMO he's a bit too moderate when it comes to addressing climate change but he does speak openly about it and supports clean energy initiatives.
Kelly might make a good second choice. He’s got a lot of creds for sure. Maybe he can deliver AZ. But that’s only 11 EV’s to PA’s 19.

Kelly might make a good second choice. He’s got a lot of creds for sure. Maybe he can deliver AZ. But that’s only 11 EV’s to PA’s 19.
I have doubts about him being able to deliver AZ. Since winning his seat as our junior Senator, Kelly has sort of faded into the background. Another thing is that he's not really "from" here. He's not going to win over native Arizonans because to them, he's just that guy who married Gabby Giffords.

Reactions: SLD
If Harris is reaching out to younger generations, Josh Shapiro's strong pro-Israel position may not sit well with them. More recently he has revised PA's administrative code of conduct which bars state employees from "scandalous or disgraceful behavior" on or off the job. What is scandalous or disgraceful behavior? They are broad terms which encourages self-censorship. The ACLU has called Shapiro out on this. This is the kind of crap the Russian government does.

The job of the VP is to deliver Electoral Votes. It’s gotta be Shapiro. He can deliver Pennsylvania and that’s the most EV’s. Shapiro is the best and most logical choice.

Assuming Arizona Red, there are four big swing states: WI MI, PA, NC. Harris needs exactly three of them to win. NC, if she ca get it, is a much bigger prize than PA. (PA has 3 more evs but that's irrelevant in most scenarios.)

Assuming Arizona Red, there are four big swing states: WI MI, PA, NC. Harris needs exactly three of them to win. NC, if she ca get it, is a much bigger prize than PA. (PA has 3 more evs but that's irrelevant in most scenarios.)
Nevada is needed if winning only three of WI, MI, PA, NC. And that includes winning that one EV in Nebraska.

Nevada is needed if winning only three of WI, MI, PA, NC. And that includes winning that one EV in Nebraska.
The QOP was talking of changing their law so that Omaha's EV goes with the rest of the state. Is it too late for them to do that? (And would Maine counter by changing its law?)

Assuming Nevada, Arizona and Omaha all go Red, then the Blues can sweep WI-MI-PA and still lose. that's one scenario where NC's 16 evs (compared with 10 and 15 for WI and MI) become crucial.

Which is more likely? Shapiro flips PA unilaterally, or Cooper flips NC unilaterally? Even in the former case, NC may be more crucial.

Historically, and particularly 2016 in mind, PA, MI, WI, NV, NH are the states to target. Clinton went for AZ, GA, NC, and FL for the landslide... and America lost.

The best gambling is the higher percentage bets. Trump loses NC, he has a hard time winning the election. But if we go for NC and don't pull it off, that will be bad. I think it is more likely the Dems lose NC than they win NC. So stick to the wall. We need to win a majority of the EVs, no more. But place strategic pressure on AZ and FL. Abortion initiatives are on (or should be on) their ballots, and the TX senate race. Make the GOP bleed money where we can. They have less of it because Trump keeps stealing his cut.

I never said they would pick Whitmer, read better.

I did not say you said that. What are you saying?

You brought it up in the post I replied to. wtf

The Dems are not going to put two women on the ticket. If you think otherwise, make your case that they will, and also make your case that Whitmer is lying.

I initially replied to you just to say just because a politician says they're not running for something doesn't mean they won't, which shouldn't be controversial because it happens all the time. That's my point and my only point.

I never said I knew her actual belief, although you seem to think you know it just because of what she has said as if politicians only ever tell the truth.

I'm done with this now. Sorry, folks.

As I said, I did not say you said that. I merely pointed out that whether she changes her mind or not is moot, because she will not be picked.

Thank you for reminding me about this. YES, that is quite a testament to decency, strength, and respect, and also to emotional resilience.

I'd love to see Pete Buttigieg as VP, but agree with others that the position will probably go to a straight, white guy with a family.

Last edited:
Trump loses NC, he has a hard time winning the election. But if we go for NC and don't pull it off, that will be bad. I think it is more likely the Dems lose NC than they win NC.
Uh huh. NC is hopelessly corrupt though.
Its Dem majority (population) is under the thumb of the Republican legislation cheaters: gerrymandering is just the tip of the iceberg. There is no tactic, legal or otherwise, they won’t deploy to retain their control. I don’t think Dems are wise to invest in it. Maybe if Kami wins she can undertake to have the people in charge of NC elections taken to task. Meanwhile, I agree; hold the wall.

Reactions: SLD
I’m beginning to warm more towards Kelly than Shapiro, my initial pick. I think he might help in other places outside of just AZ. With his military and astronaut background he might help assuage a lot of white guys and women too who might be a little reluctant to support a California black woman.

Back
Top Bottom