• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Electric Vehicles (from Twitter idiot)

To notify a split thread.
I don't hide where I am--Las Vegas. I picked the visitor center of Death Valley as my objective--actually it was 35.91215, -116.58582. It's the intersection of Jubilee Pass Road and a dirt track that AFIAK only has a number, not a name. Actually, anywhere within about 2 hours of Las Vegas--the only supercharger I'm aware of lies 2 hours NE of here, St. George, Utah--and I almost never go that way because the travel time gets too high for day hiking.

I'm seeing super charges from every direction to those coordinates. My Model 3 long Range can do 350ish Miles (driving dumb). You can charge a Tesla and get to and back from your destination. I mean, you do plan to leave the car behind and go hiking and not take the car on the hike right? Granted you power the Tesla down you should be able to camp for days without concern for phantom drain (meaning the battery being used while away from the vehicle). I'd use the charger 79 miles away & charge to 90% before heading out. You'd have easily over 100 miles of range left (100 considering the worst scenario, like leaving the car on and hiking for a week) when you get back to that same charger.

Yes, that one is within range. My occasional forays to the far side of the park would be unacceptable, though.
It occurs to me I have some relevant photography in the wildlife thread:

From an earlier trip into the same canyon.

I wonder how much CO2 emissions are from manufacturing serviceable parts for ICE vehicles like;

Water Pump
Oil Pump
Fuel pump
Timing belts
Pistons
Camshafts or Crankshafts
Alternator
Spark plug
Transmission
Exhaust System

My Tesla has none of those btw. Also has less moving parts meaning it's less likely to need replacement parts more than an ICE vehicle would.

I wonder how much CO2 emissions are from manufacturing serviceable parts for ICE vehicles like;

Water Pump
Oil Pump
Fuel pump
Timing belts
Pistons
Camshafts or Crankshafts
Alternator
Spark plug
Transmission
Exhaust System

My Tesla has none of those btw. Also has less moving parts meaning it's less likely to need replacement parts more than an ICE vehicle would.
Very true. Fewer moving parts. Less wear. EVs should require much less service.

However

Do you really think manufacturers are going to forego that cash cow so easily? Come now. Here’s a thought, they may have to forego it but they can replace that lost revenue with subscription services. If everything can be activated or shut down over the air, all the neat amenities your vehicle has may only be accessible by subscription. This way there is less custom ordering to have to deal with at the factory. Vehicles will for the most part be manufactured identically which means cheaper production costs. Everything will be annual subscriptions. Yes, we’ll all be yelling at our cars like they were made by Microsoft.

FYI - I was wrong about there not being a water pump in a Tesla. Apparently it has 3 coolant pumps. :oops:

Water Pump
Oil Pump
Fuel pump
Timing belts
Pistons
Camshafts or Crankshafts
Alternator
Spark plug
Transmission
Exhaust System

Very true. Fewer moving parts. Less wear. EVs should require much less service.
Though EVs tend to be heavier than ICEs so more wear on tyres and brakes.

Though EVs tend to be heavier than ICEs so more wear on tyres and brakes.
Maybe. More important is how the vehicle is driven and simply the quality of the vehicle. I owned two Fords that both required brake service within the initial warranty period. The two current vehicles, Hondas, didn't require brake work until they were in their eighth year of service and well over 60,000 miles.

Don't know that much about Saabs, but I do recall listening to a Car Talk show years ago, where Tom and Ray lamented that Saabs were unique in that they're built as though the designers and engineers had never seen another car in their lives and were making it completely from scratch.
Loved Car Talk (RIP Tom).
The guys from the old Top Gear also made a Tribute to Saab some years ago, where they mention issues with early Saabs.

For Youtube, the video was chopped up in pieces, but the rest of the tribute is available there.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Last edited:
Still pushing pedals here, 100% human power. But I do see lots of e-bikes on the trails and the roads. E-bikes are heavy and probably wouldn't fit into my FIT or CRV anyway.
E-bike actually emits less CO2.
sustain1.png

Humans are not a very efficient machine for converting carbon-based fuel into mechanical work. :)
Still a lot less than cars of course, including EVs because of much bigger mass and greater average speeds.

Not to mention necessary sensors (like the λ/O2 sensors) and things like the catalytic converter that go bad periodically and have to be replaced.
Years ago I posted this (or similar) photo in an EV thread. It bears posting again.
4bSMpxo7AIKMv9EKmE4Os4790T7OSw9DaDYIFY-eZow.jpg

A modern ICE engine has a lot of parts, many of them moving (relative to engine block for you pedants).
An electric motor is a lot simpler. Note also that ICE engines are only efficient over a relatively small RPM band, necessitating complex transmissions (vs. fixed gear transmissions for most EVs - not even a reverse gear is necessary).
hppp-1002-01-o-four-speed-transmission-basic-components.jpg

Still pushing pedals here, 100% human power. But I do see lots of e-bikes on the trails and the roads. E-bikes are heavy and probably wouldn't fit into my FIT or CRV anyway.
E-bike actually emits less CO2.
sustain1.png

Humans are not a very efficient machine for converting carbon-based fuel into mechanical work. :)
Still a lot less than cars of course, including EVs because of much bigger mass and greater average speeds.
Yup. Using muscle power is good for humans but not green because food is incredibly not green.

Don't know that much about Saabs, but I do recall listening to a Car Talk show years ago, where Tom and Ray lamented that Saabs were unique in that they're built as though the designers and engineers had never seen another car in their lives and were making it completely from scratch.
Loved Car Talk (RIP Tom).
The guys from the old Top Gear also made a Tribute to Saab some years ago, where they mention issues with early Saabs.

For Youtube, the video was chopped up in pieces, but the rest of the tribute is available there.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

My wife's cousin for a while had the only two Saab Sonnetts in the state. He had to sell them when he got divorced.

GM's coming out with an EV called Revenue Stream.

"We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us," Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030.

I'll bet these infotainment systems can't even be turned off.
ANYTHING can be turned off. If necessary, you could invoke a “2nd Amendment solution“.
But the beauty of digital electronics is they would easily tie it all in so the car would not even run. No google or Apple play, then no electric motors giving you a useless car you would not be able get out your garage. You would be better off to own a horse.

Back
Top Bottom