• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

I also get it that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question, not just the ones with a feminine appearance.
Please stop it with this. There is no evidence whatever that the previous policy went by 'feminine appearance'.
Is it really so awful when men aren't given special consideration based on their manly aspect? Is it so terrible that society allows people to look and act in ways that don't conform to rigid rules about sex and gender so that one can't simply assume that the masculine appearing person in the waiting room can't possibly be pregnant?
Please stop it with this. There is no evidence whatever that the previous policy went by appearance.
Please stop it with what? Please stop saying that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question? I won't stop saying it. It's true and it's important.

There is no evidence the hospital staff didn't go by appearance when deciding who to ask about possible pregnancies, or that they weren't supposed to but sometimes that's what happened. There is no evidence how it worked because you haven't presented any. All you did was speculate that everything must have been fine because that skimpy article in the OP didn't mention any fuck ups.

Also, stop conflating sex and gender. Gender has nothing to do with it. Nobody proposed only asking people with a feminine gender identity. The 'rigid rules' about sex, on the other hand, are imposed by nature, not society.

Females should be asked about possibly pregnancy status. No matter what they look like.

This policy was a politically-influenced solution in search of a problem.
Everyone about to undergo a procedure that can potentially harm a fetus should be asked about the possibility they are pregnant. Just as everyone about to undergo a procedure that can potentially harm them if they're immunocompromised should be asked about the possibility they are immunocompromised.

SEXISM ASIDE, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE?

Is it that you just don't like change?

Please stop it with what? Please stop saying that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question? I won't stop saying it. It's true and it's important.
No. Please stop with your bullshit claim that it's this policy versus asking people of 'feminine' appearance.
There is no evidence the hospital staff didn't go by appearance when deciding who to ask about possible pregnancies, or that they weren't supposed to but sometimes that's what happened.
The previous policy said the hospital asked females. Your bullshit invention has no evidence and I don't accept it.

There is no evidence how it worked because you haven't presented any. All you did was speculate that everything must have been fine because that skimpy article in the OP didn't mention any fuck ups.
The article did not mention any failures of the previous policy, that is true, and it also quoted the previous policy, which was to ask females.

If you have to distort the facts to support your opinion, or make up scenarios not in evidence, your opinion isn't worth supporting.

Everyone about to undergo a procedure that can potentially harm a fetus should be asked about the possibility they are pregnant.
Most hospitals worldwide disagree with you.

Just as everyone about to undergo a procedure that can potentially harm them if they're immunocompromised should be asked about the possibility they are immunocompromised.
Males and females can be immunicompromised. Both sexes must be asked.

Is it that you just don't like change?
It is not 'sexism' to acknowledge biological reality, and if your dismissal of the previous policy was that it was 'sexist', then the previous, sexist policy was better.

What on earth makes you think I don't like change?

Is it because I don't like medical policy to be formed on political taste rather than medical evidence?

No. Please stop with your bullshit claim that it's this policy versus asking people of 'feminine' appearance.

Please re-read my post. You missed the point.

However, since I wasn't claiming the hospital staff was doing that, only pointing how stupid it would be for anyone to do it, It's fine by me to skip over that part.

The part that came right before it is more to the point:

I doubt anyone here is confused about which body parts are necessary for a person to become pregnant. The argument isn't about whether individuals with only male sex characteristics can get pregnant, but whether it makes sense to ask everyone about to undergo a treatment that can harm a fetus if they think they might be pregnant.

I get it that some men don't want to be asked that question.

I get it that some very sexist men might feel insulted and demeaned if they are asked that question.

I also get it that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question, not just the ones with a feminine appearance
believed to be female.
There is no evidence the hospital staff didn't go by appearance when deciding who to ask about possible pregnancies, or that they weren't supposed to but sometimes that's what happened.
The previous policy said the hospital asked females. Your bullshit invention has no evidence and I don't accept it.

Well then, the hospital missed all the intersex individuals who might have been pregnant, didn't it? Not to mention the transpersons who may or may not have put down the letters you would have used to describe them in the little box for sex designation.
There is no evidence how it worked because you haven't presented any. All you did was speculate that everything must have been fine because that skimpy article in the OP didn't mention any fuck ups.
The article did not mention any failures of the previous policy, that is true, and it also quoted the previous policy, which was to ask females.

If you have to distort the facts to support your opinion, or make up scenarios not in evidence, your opinion isn't worth supporting.
What facts do you think I'm distorting? The fact there's less chance a pregnant person might be overlooked if everyone is asked the same question about the likelihood they're pregnant?

People who are offended by questions that imply their gender is unknown or unassumed are obviously (to me) insecure about the status of their gender... if the IDEA that they COULD be accepted as a different gender than they identify as bothers them, it is likely because they have given it A LOT of thought and are afraid of the social consequences of their gender fluidity.
You mean sex. Gender identity is a thought in your head.

Being asked if you are pregnant does not imply anything about your gender identity, but it does imply you are female and capable of being pregnant.

In other words, if it bothers you, it's because you are a little gay - and may or may not realize it.
I'm a lot gay and I've realised it since I was six years old.

It's OK.. fluidity is actually more normal than you think. You can want to be treated like a bitch in bed and still be a masculine person in public.
I see Jarhyn 'liked' this offensive stereotype - that 'feminine' gender identities want to be treated like 'a bitch' in bed.
Aren't you also equally offended by the idea that "masculine" is associated with "male"? Or are you just offended that "like a bitch" is associated with "like a female"... keeping in mind that the word "bitch" is already associated with a female dog, and not a male dog.

Disregard this derail... it does not matter...some people only seem to feel good when they are responding to an imagined offense.

I swear some people aren't reading. The question about sex is NOT as straightforward for ALL people as you seem to believe. A trans individual may identify as their new gender and simply not even consider that at one time they had a uterus and ovaries. OR they may still retain a uterus or ovaries. A trans woman may identify herself as female.
And that right there is the core of the issue.

At one point in time we were told very clearly that sex and gender were completely different things. It was a cornerstone of the transgender rights approach.

Now, however, we're back to conflating sex and gender... only NOW we're setting personal, subjective, unverifiable gender identity as more paramount than sex.

Which means we're now living in a world where several people think it's a good idea to just skip right over sex in medical scenarios, despite the fact that it is an incredibly vital piece of information for doctors to have... and instead, ask everybody, even males, if they might be pregnant.

And why? Because some people might give a false answer, or might actually believe that their gender identity has changed their sex, or their feelings might be hurt by someone wanting to know their sex. So now... everyone else has to be asked a question that is completely irrelevant to half the population, and forego a piece of information that is relevant to nearly every single patient all the time... in order to avoid educating a tiny sliver of the populus about the importance of telling the doctor their actual sex.

the person's sex. If the person is female, ask if they might be pregnant. If the person is male skip that part. Done. Not hard, not challenging, not obscure. Very straightforward.
Why make it more complicated than necessary?
"Could you be pregnant?" is the real question here. Not, "Where do feel that you fall on the gender spectrum?"

All the technician wants to know, at the time of the procedure, is "Could this procedure harm an unborn human being?" And get a clear answer from the human being about to have the procedure.
I don't see what's difficult about this.
Why is giving a simple yes or no answer a problem?
Tom
The answer to your question is in the part you snipped.

SEX AFFECTS A LOT OF MEDICINE, MORE SO THAN PREGNANCY.

Pregnancy in medical settings is asked OF FEMALES because of the risk of harm to the fetus. SEX ought to be asked in all situations because of the RISK OF INAPPROPRIATE TREATMENT TO THE ACTUAL PATIENT

Use your imagination just a wee bit here. Imagine that a person comes into the ER complaining of intense abdominal pain on their right side. The doctor asks "is it possible that you're pregnant", and the person answers "No". Great - their "privacy" has been protected, and they're not at risk of having their private super-secret sex exposed to a doctor.

Which is great... except that the person is a female with an ovarian cyst that has ruptured and become septic! Because that's a thing that can happen to FEMALES of the human species and cannot happen to males. And the possibility of pregnancy is irrelevant to the fact that they have a ruptured ovarian cyst... but their SEX is incredibly highly fucking relevant!

Seriously, do you people not understand that males and females are different? If a male comes in to the doctor complaining of having trouble urinating, the doctor is going to look at a different set of possible causes than if that patient were female. You know why? Because FEMALES DON'T HAVE FUCKING PROSTATES THAT GET ENLARGED AND BLOCK THEIR URETER! If a male comes in with severe anemia, they're going to look for different causes than if that patient were a female. You know why? Because MALES DON'T GET FIBROIDS THAT FREQUENTLY CAUSE ANEMIA!
I doubt anyone here is confused about which body parts are necessary for a person to become pregnant. The argument isn't about whether individuals with only male sex characteristics can get pregnant, but whether it makes sense to ask everyone about to undergo a treatment that can harm a fetus if they think they might be pregnant.

I get it that some very sexist men might feel insulted and demeaned if they are asked that question.

I also get it that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question, not just the ones with a feminine appearance.

Is it really so awful when men aren't given special consideration based on their manly aspect? Is it so terrible that society allows people to look and act in ways that don't conform to rigid rules about sex and gender so that one can't simply assume that the masculine appearing person in the waiting room can't possibly be pregnant?
I swear to fuck you didn't bother to read. I'm not trying to give men special consideration. The fact that they are MALE has an enormous impact on their treatment. Because sex matters in medicine. And for the love of all things rational in the universe... please stop pretending that I have in any way suggested that the question be based on the doctor's opinion of whether or not they "look" manly or womanly.

READ WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE

I also get it that there's less chance of a pregnant person being overlooked if everyone is asked that question, not just the ones with a feminine appearance
believed to be female.
who answer that they are female.
Let's try that as being a more accurate rendition of the discussion.

While we're at it, let's ask everyone, including females, whether they might have an enlarged prostate. Let's ask everyone, including males, whether they might have fibroids, endometriosis, or ovarian cysts. Let's ask everyone, including females, if they have difficulty maintaining an erection. Let's ask everyone, including males, when their last mammogram was.

I mean, we wouldn't want to miss anyone right? So let's just ask everyone everything, just in case. That makes perfect sense. Certainly it's waaaaay more sensible than asking a patient their sex, and then asking only those questions that are relevant to that sex, right?

People who are offended by questions that imply their gender is unknown or unassumed are obviously (to me) insecure about the status of their gender... if the IDEA that they COULD be accepted as a different gender than they identify as bothers them, it is likely because they have given it A LOT of thought and are afraid of the social consequences of their gender fluidity.
You mean sex. Gender identity is a thought in your head.

Being asked if you are pregnant does not imply anything about your gender identity, but it does imply you are female and capable of being pregnant.

In other words, if it bothers you, it's because you are a little gay - and may or may not realize it.
I'm a lot gay and I've realised it since I was six years old.

It's OK.. fluidity is actually more normal than you think. You can want to be treated like a bitch in bed and still be a masculine person in public.
I see Jarhyn 'liked' this offensive stereotype - that 'feminine' gender identities want to be treated like 'a bitch' in bed.
Aren't you also equally offended by the idea that "masculine" is associated with "male"?
No, I am not offended. There would be no other way to define masculine except as to how males behave compared to females.

Or are you just offended that "like a bitch" is associated with "like a female"... keeping in mind that the word "bitch" is already associated with a female dog, and not a male dog.
Disregard this derail... it does not matter...some people only seem to feel good when they are responding to an imagined offense.
Actually, I'm not sure what you think being treated "like a bitch" during sex means so I don't know what precisely you think women want during sex.

Please re-read my post. You missed the point.

However, since I wasn't claiming the hospital staff was doing that, only pointing how stupid it would be for anyone to do it, It's fine by me to skip over that part.
Yes, it would be stupid to do that, and nobody here is claiming anybody should do that, and there is no evidence the hospital ever did do that. So you suggesting it is simply poisoning the well.

The part that came right before it is more to the point:

Answered multiple times already.

believed to be female.
You have no idea if any pregnant woman has ever been overlooked by the previous policy. You can't get lower than zero chance.

Well then, the hospital missed all the intersex individuals who might have been pregnant, didn't it? Not to mention the transpersons who may or may not have put down the letters you would have used to describe them in the little box for sex designation.
No, there is no evidence they missed anybody, and 'intersex' is not a sex designation. "Intersex" people are still either male or female. They have differences of sex development.

If gender ideology has made trans men such bold entitled liars, or such ignorant morons, that they mark the 'male' box under sex in medical settings, then gender ideologists need to reform themselves.

What facts do you think I'm distorting? The fact there's less chance a pregnant person might be overlooked if everyone is asked the same question about the likelihood they're pregnant?
First, you can't say there is 'less chance' if the previous observed chance was zero.

Second, the policy was not motivated by perceived risk, but political taste.

Third, policy is not decided on imagined edge cases.

I swear some people aren't reading. The question about sex is NOT as straightforward for ALL people as you seem to believe. A trans individual may identify as their new gender and simply not even consider that at one time they had a uterus and ovaries. OR they may still retain a uterus or ovaries. A trans woman may identify herself as female.

At one point in time we were told very clearly that sex and gender were completely different things. It was a cornerstone of the transgender rights approach.

Now, however, we're back to conflating sex and gender... only NOW we're setting personal, subjective, unverifiable gender identity as more paramount than sex.

Which means we're now living in a world where several people think it's a good idea to just skip right over sex in medical scenarios, despite the fact that it is an incredibly vital piece of information for doctors to have... and instead, ask everybody, even males, if they might be pregnant.

And why? Because some people might give a false answer, or might actually believe that their gender identity has changed their sex, or their feelings might be hurt by someone wanting to know their sex. So now... everyone else has to be asked a question that is completely irrelevant to half the population, and forego a piece of information that is relevant to nearly every single patient all the time... in order to avoid educating a tiny sliver of the populus about the importance of telling the doctor their actual sex.
I’m really not certain what the problem is?

While we're at it, let's ask everyone, including females, whether they might have an enlarged prostate.
Is that a consideration when about to get an MRI?

If so, then yeah!
But I've never had an MRI, so I'm not an expert.
Tom

The problem is...

Pregnancy in medical settings is asked OF FEMALES because of the risk of harm to the fetus. SEX ought to be asked in all situations because of the RISK OF INAPPROPRIATE TREATMENT TO THE ACTUAL PATIENT

Use your imagination just a wee bit here. Imagine that a person comes into the ER complaining of intense abdominal pain on their right side. The doctor asks "is it possible that you're pregnant", and the person answers "No". Great - their "privacy" has been protected, and they're not at risk of having their private super-secret sex exposed to a doctor.

Which is great... except that the person is a female with an ovarian cyst that has ruptured and become septic! Because that's a thing that can happen to FEMALES of the human species and cannot happen to males. And the possibility of pregnancy is irrelevant to the fact that they have a ruptured ovarian cyst... but their SEX is incredibly highly fucking relevant!

Seriously, do you people not understand that males and females are different? If a male comes in to the doctor complaining of having trouble urinating, the doctor is going to look at a different set of possible causes than if that patient were female. You know why? Because FEMALES DON'T HAVE FUCKING PROSTATES THAT GET ENLARGED AND BLOCK THEIR URETER! If a male comes in with severe anemia, they're going to look for different causes than if that patient were a female. You know why? Because MALES DON'T GET FIBROIDS THAT FREQUENTLY CAUSE ANEMIA!

believed to be female.
who answer that they are female.
Let's try that as being a more accurate rendition of the discussion.
Sounds good to me.

The problem is...

That still does not address what the problem is with asking all patients if they might be pregnant.

Asking about a possible pregnancy does not mean that other pertinent questions cannot or should not be asked.

While we're at it, let's ask everyone, including females, whether they might have an enlarged prostate. Let's ask everyone, including males, whether they might have fibroids, endometriosis, or ovarian cysts. Let's ask everyone, including females, if they have difficulty maintaining an erection. Let's ask everyone, including males, when their last mammogram was
I mean, we wouldn't want to miss anyone right? So let's just ask everyone everything, just in case. That makes perfect sense. Certainly it's waaaaay more sensible than asking a patient their sex, and then asking only those questions that are relevant to that sex, right?
YES!

Let's ask everyone the same questions about conditions that can affect treatment or bring about harmful results.

Let's get over being offended when hospital staff don't presume to know our sex and reproductive capabilities and appreciate that we are being asked so that we can get the best care possible. Better safe than sorry, right? What exactly is the problem with that?

The problem is...

That still does not address what the problem is with asking all patients if they might be pregnant.

Asking about a possible pregnancy does not mean that other pertinent questions cannot or should not be asked.
As an aside it DOES mean that other non-pertinent questions will also be unnecessary to ask.

"Are you pregnant or may become pregnant" does not answer "do you have a hoooooooha or a peeeeeeeenis"

"Are you aware of whether you have an enlarged prostate" does not answer that other question either.

Nor does "testosterone or estrogen?"

The times that the doctor needs to know more, they can ask.

In some cases it can even be deleterious to operate on "sex based assumptions", such as when discussing or considering osteoporosis, which is hormonally rather than strictly sex driven.

While we're at it, let's ask everyone, including females, whether they might have an enlarged prostate. Let's ask everyone, including males, whether they might have fibroids, endometriosis, or ovarian cysts. Let's ask everyone, including females, if they have difficulty maintaining an erection. Let's ask everyone, including males, when their last mammogram was
YES!

Let's ask everyone the same questions about conditions that can affect treatment or bring about harmful results.

Let's get over being offended when hospital staff don't presume to know our sex
Hospitals do know your sex. It is on your wristband along with other demographics.

and reproductive capabilities and appreciate that we are being asked so that we can get the best care possible. Better safe than sorry, right? What exactly is the problem with that?
You've been told a dozen times what the problem is with the new policy.

YES!

Let's get over being offended when hospital staff don't presume to know our sex
Hospitals do know your sex. It is on your wristband along with other demographics.

and reproductive capabilities and appreciate that we are being asked so that we can get the best care possible. Better safe than sorry, right? What exactly is the problem with that?
You've been told a dozen times what the problem is with the new policy.
What is the problem with the new policy?

In the US usually only patients who are admitted to a hospital get wristbands. Many/most people who get X-rays or MRIs are not admitted to the hospital. They don’t have wristbands.

Back
Top Bottom