• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Me Too" Judge Roy Moore

I think Derec's point about length of time, though wrong, ought to be addressed. I do believe in general we ought to take length of time since criminal acts into account when considering legal jail time as policy. People are capable of rehabilitation or other changes in their lives. Victims are also capable of resilience over a long period most of the time.

In the specific, narrow case of Roy Moore, I have some problems with these general rules as they apply to his public office. So first there is no evidence of rehabilitation or life-changing events. There are some stories of him being a continued risk to society...and this risk appears to be present in not just his thinking but also that crazy other guy who talked about Virgin Mary being a teen which could be true and makes it dangerous rhetoric by a major political party. Back to Roy, his dangerous thinking might be evidenced by his interpretation/dissent in the ruling regarding appeal against a man who raped a 4 year old. His biases against gays, lesbians, and others is also worse than hypocrisy. I suspect he has actually turned to religion as some warped source of defense of his thoughts and allowance to project worse demons onto others to pretend they are the bad people.

So overall I think Roy is bad for a job in public policy or judgment of others as that thinking will have undue negative consequences to sexual minorities and maybe sometimes undue lack of consequences to those with whom he identifies. I do, however, think he should be called out on such hypocrisy and acts. I do think he should have a different job that does not involve young females and maybe either therapy or something else rehabilitative.

Since Roy recently made public statements about his victims he probably should also publicly apologize. There is no statute of limitations either on how he may try to make restitution...especially right now. I think this is another area where Derec is wrong because his victim though resilient can be retraumatized by his false public statements and news rehashes about the events. His being a public figure may reopen old wounds and his warped commentaries may add more salt.

I'm still floored that we still have to have a debate about whether or not child molestation is wrong. I thought we settled this matter during the Catholic priest controversy. It sounded like everyone had unequivocally decided that any kind of sexual contact with a child is wrong.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's only bad when people from certain religions do it. Because right now conservatives are making all of the same excuses we once heard from Catholics. Every fucking one, including stupid conspiracy theories and blaming the victim.
Right? I just don't get it.

Old habits die hard.
The south (especially) has rich traditions of suppression (traditions of suppression by the rich) - rich white women were suppressed by rich white men, poor white men were suppressed by rich white men and women, poor white women were suppressed by rich and poor white men, and black people were suppressed by everyone else. Unless you were black, you had someone to suppress. That made it all good (unless you were black). Now these carpetbaggers want to upset the applecart, and not only protect black people from suppression, but let women - WOMEN! - stand up to men - even WHITE men! In the minds of the faithful-to-southern-tradition, that's just unnatural and WRONG. The ability to suppress someone else is their HERITAGE, dammit!

So what you're saying is that Republicans will vote for a child molester as long as the result is stepping on the necks of women? We already learned that in the last presidential election.

Jeff Sessions has joined the list of "I believe the women," so it's no surprise to see Hannity back away from Moore.

Moore may still win this election, but there's no more ambiguity about the charges. Anyone who is still defending him, and attacking the credibility of his accusers, is either a duplicitous prick, or plain stupid.

Jeff Sessions has joined the list of "I believe the women," so it's no surprise to see Hannity back away from Moore.

Moore may still win this election, but there's no more ambiguity about the charges. Anyone who is still defending him, and attacking the credibility of his accusers, is either a duplicitous prick, or plain stupid.

Pretty much. As a man in his 30's, all Moore wanted to do was fuck your 14 year old daughter. Some people don't have a problem with that, and they call themselves conservative evangelicals. Everybody else probably at least thinks about whether despite their religious and political inclinations they still want to support this pervert despite their attachment to their cherished labels.

I predict Moore will get out before the election because he's going to be busy in a court of law. But I honestly want to see him win the election because it will further weaken the republican party.

Except one minor thing. The criticism from the Right-Wing on Moore isn't because of the allegations, which is driving me nuts. The Republicans opened up these accusations to try and get Moore out of the special election because they don't trust him in the Senate being a reliable vote. Making matters worse, Hannity has asked Moore to prove he didn't do something, which we know is impossible. The right-wing machine (has on this odd occasion) become synchronized for a moment again.

And to make matters worse, the polling in Alabama is indicating that Moore is still neck and neck with the Democrat opponent... and oddly enough this could increase right-wing turnout to support Moore. Can we impeach the State of Alabama?

Except one minor thing. The criticism from the Right-Wing on Moore isn't because of the allegations, which is driving me nuts. The Republicans opened up these accusations to try and get Moore out of the special election because they don't trust him in the Senate being a reliable vote. Making matters worse, Hannity has asked Moore to prove he didn't do something, which we know is impossible. The right-wing machine (has on this odd occasion) become synchronized for a moment again.

And to make matters worse, the polling in Alabama is indicating that Moore is still neck and neck with the Democrat opponent... and oddly enough this could increase right-wing turnout to support Moore. Can we impeach the State of Alabama?

Moore's problem is not his predilection for teenage girls. His problem is lying about his past and enlisting others to perpetuate his lies. Hannity hasn't asked Moore top prove anything. He has asked him to clarify the inconsistencies in his story. It's one thing to have a spot on one's record. It was a long time ago, and people are given credit for learning from their mistakes. It's altogether a different thing to refuse to acknowledge past error and lie about it.

Moore has posed himself as an Old Testament Ten Commandments Moralist. Commandment #9 is pretty explicit about lying. He's shot himself in the foot and has no one to blame but himself.

Moore's problem is not his predilection for teenage girls. His problem is lying about his past and enlisting others to perpetuate his lies.
His problem is he isn't trusted to go along with the Republican agenda.
Hannity hasn't asked Moore top prove anything. He has asked him to clarify the inconsistencies in his story. It's one thing to have a spot on one's record. It was a long time ago, and people are given credit for learning from their mistakes. It's altogether a different thing to refuse to acknowledge past error and lie about it.
Hannity pretty much says prove it didn't happen. Remove all doubt.
washington post said:
“You must immediately and fully come up with a satisfactory explanation for your inconsistencies,” Hannity said. “You must remove any doubt. If he can’t do this, then Judge Moore needs to get out of this race.”

Moore has posed himself as an Old Testament Ten Commandments Moralist. Commandment #9 is pretty explicit about lying. He's shot himself in the foot and has no one to blame but himself.
Except the Republicans are getting desperate. Despite this coming out, the religious right is coming out in support of Moore, for a couple reasons. One, the evil media and two, they are fucking nuts and can obfuscate anything they need to. They've been trained so well by the Hannitys out there.

Moore's problem is not his predilection for teenage girls. His problem is lying about his past and enlisting others to perpetuate his lies.
His problem is he isn't trusted to go along with the Republican agenda.
Hannity hasn't asked Moore top prove anything. He has asked him to clarify the inconsistencies in his story. It's one thing to have a spot on one's record. It was a long time ago, and people are given credit for learning from their mistakes. It's altogether a different thing to refuse to acknowledge past error and lie about it.
Hannity pretty much says prove it didn't happen. Remove all doubt.
washington post said:
“You must immediately and fully come up with a satisfactory explanation for your inconsistencies,” Hannity said. “You must remove any doubt. If he can’t do this, then Judge Moore needs to get out of this race.”

Except the Republicans are getting desperate. Despite this coming out, the religious right is coming out in support of Moore, for a couple reasons. One, the evil media and two, they are fucking nuts and can obfuscate anything they need to. They've been trained so well by the Hannitys out there.

You are entitled to your interpretation. If not for this scandal, Moore would be coasting to a victory, without regard to his feelings about the official GOP agenda. If not for the scandal the GOP leaders would simply have to deal with reality.

This situation was created by Moore, and by Moore alone. McConnell and Ryan, and the rest could not have concocted this, even if they were smart enough to think of it. There's no deep dark political maneuvering, just ordinary political maneuvering.

There's no need to read more into than that. Moore does have far right religious support. After all, he is the Ten Commandments guy. Moore has really fucked them over. No one can say what the fallout from that will be. Most likely, the preachers will be a little more careful the next time they throw their support behind a candidate. Never a bad thing.

For all the bad press political parties get these days, back in the day when party politics was responsible for choosing candidates, especially for higher offices, such as President or Senator, this wouldn't have happened. Before the party decided to put support and money behind a candidate, he was vetted for possible scandals. It was a process known as "woodshedding." All infidelities and skulduggery were examined and assessed. The rankest political amateur could have checked into Moore's reputation and seen this a mile away.

Once Moore committed to his "That's my story and I'm sticking to it," defense, it was all over, but for the crying.

The GOP is falling apart: Mitch McConnell says I believe the women, Paul Ryan says Moore should "step aside," and now the RNC has cut fundraising ties to Moore. It may only be a matter of time now.
All of that is political posturing. If Moore is elected to the Senate, the GOP leadership will embrace him into their fold.
I doubt it, they never wanted Moore. They wanted the guy currently in the seat. Moore is a firebrand with no reliability.

And on the other side, Todd Akins was told to step aside, and he never did. Granted, he didn't allegedly commit a crime.

or both!

All this "I believe the women" bullshit... I think that EVERY time one of those republizards says they "believe the women", they should be forced to answer "Does that mean you believe the women who were attacked by Donald Trump?"

Assholes... they "believe" whateverthefuck is most expedient for them at the moment.

Right? I just don't get it.

Old habits die hard.
The south (especially) has rich traditions of suppression (traditions of suppression by the rich) - rich white women were suppressed by rich white men, poor white men were suppressed by rich white men and women, poor white women were suppressed by rich and poor white men, and black people were suppressed by everyone else. Unless you were black, you had someone to suppress. That made it all good (unless you were black). Now these carpetbaggers want to upset the applecart, and not only protect black people from suppression, but let women - WOMEN! - stand up to men - even WHITE men! In the minds of the faithful-to-southern-tradition, that's just unnatural and WRONG. The ability to suppress someone else is their HERITAGE, dammit!

So what you're saying is that Republicans will vote for a child molester as long as the result is stepping on the necks of women? We already learned that in the last presidential election.

Well, Playball said she "didn't get it". IMHO, that's all there is to get - a bunch of backward, inbred morons have become comfortable with norms that would freak a rational person right out.

NRSC poll: Moore trails Jones by 12 - POLITICO

That could be why Hannity is changing his tune. It's also strange that Twitler hasn't said one word about this yet. He must be dying to defend a fellow abuser from Bezo's fake news. Hannity may have gotten word his orange master is going with the deep state establishment on this one. Probably had a good cry over it.

"It was supposed to be her child sex ring, her child sex ring."
big-tears.gif

Back
Top Bottom