• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mueller investigation

Google says 4 to 8 months.
google fulla shit.
Newest guy in my office just went a year getting merely a SECRET. They're neither manned nor budgeted as they ought to be...

Agreed, but I'd bet that high profile candidates probably get priority status.

The process used to be quicker and more perfunctory before Snowden. It only took me a couple of months to get Secret clearance as an employee of a major government contractor. My impression was that the process was much looser than I expected. Most of my contacts with Communists took place a couple of decades prior, and nobody seemed to care about my radical behavior in Internet discussion forums or on Facebook. :)

I would be livid if that were true. My BI was to support five years of work in direct support of nuclear weapons... Why would I get moved to the back of the line so some clown can caper in front of the cameras for two years, only to go write a book about why he lost and how the winner is fucking up....?

The process used to be quicker and more perfunctory before Snowden. It only took me a couple of months to get Secret clearance as an employee of a major government contractor. My impression was that the process was much looser than I expected. Most of my contacts with Communists took place a couple of decades prior, and nobody seemed to care about my radical behavior in Internet discussion forums or on Facebook. :)

No, it wasn't. Snowden was long after my time as a security officer. But it also depends on which agency is processing the clearance.

I had two, a TOP SECRET - SIOP (Titan II launch) and a SECRET (A-12 Navy Fighter).

I think both were through the Defense Investigative Service..

Later,
ElectEngr

Unless something has changed, DISA was notoriously slow before Snowden.

Google says 4 to 8 months. I don't see a problem--I'm say you do this before you file to run for office. That means you can do it in advance.

Google can say what it wants. I used to be a security officer handling clearances and TS takes about 1.5 years. Even an interim Secret takes months.

Okay, you apply for your clearance a couple of years before running for office. I don't see that it's a showstopper.

NYT: Trump asked witnesses about special counsel conversations.
CNN quoting NYTimes said:
In the other instance, Trump reportedly told an aide that White House counsel Donald McGahn should put out a statement denying a previous Times report -- in which the paper said McGahn told investigators that Trump asked him to fire Mueller.

Ya gotta wonder if President Dumbass is going to wander into witness tampering to go along with obstruction of justice and whatever else can be proven.

In other news, the Washington Post thinks that Mueller has evidence that a 2017 transition-period meeting was to set up a hidden back channel link to the Kremlin and Stormy Daniels (a true American hero!) is suing Trump and is likely to be allowed to tell her story.

I hope that this flurry of activity means that Mueller is about to finish up. I can't keep up with even 10% of the corruption being uncovered!

NYT: Trump asked witnesses about special counsel conversations.
CNN quoting NYTimes said:
In the other instance, Trump reportedly told an aide that White House counsel Donald McGahn should put out a statement denying a previous Times report -- in which the paper said McGahn told investigators that Trump asked him to fire Mueller.

Ya gotta wonder if President Dumbass is going to wander into witness tampering to go along with obstruction of justice and whatever else can be proven.

In other news, the Washington Post thinks that Mueller has evidence that a 2017 transition-period meeting was to set up a hidden back channel link to the Kremlin and Stormy Daniels (a true American hero!) is suing Trump and is likely to be allowed to tell her story.

I hope that this flurry of activity means that Mueller is about to finish up. I can't keep up with even 10% of the corruption being uncovered!

What about Hillary? Why aren't we talking about Hillary instead?

Hillary was the one who was colluding with Russia! The Uranium One thing proves it! Also, she had a private email server which means she might have allowed top secret information to fall into the wrong hands! We should be investigating Hillary Clinton instead of launching this obvious witch hunt against Trump, who is so much smarter than everyone else that he is playing 47th dimensional chess! He is outsmarting everyone because he's a great genius! He kept all his campaign promises! Witch hunt! MAGA! USA! USA! [/conservlibertarian]

Google says 4 to 8 months. I don't see a problem--I'm say you do this before you file to run for office. That means you can do it in advance.

Google can say what it wants. I used to be a security officer handling clearances and TS takes about 1.5 years. Even an interim Secret takes months.

Also, you can't just apply for a clearance out of the blue. You typically need a sponsor and a need to know. If someone is just a candidate they don't have a need to know and therefore wouldn't even be able to get the process started.

Also, you can't just apply for a clearance out of the blue. You typically need a sponsor and a need to know. If someone is just a candidate they don't have a need to know and therefore wouldn't even be able to get the process started.

Good point. This is true.

Is it? The background investigation is separate from actually holding a security clearance. The clearance is sponsored by the site's security manager, and depends on, among other things, a successful background check, and the need to know, but the investigation can be performed in anticipation of a future need.
Ours were started in Missiles-go-boom 'A' school, where our need to know never exceeded Confidential, but we were training for Above Top Secret jobs down the line... Even those of us that failed out of A or C school, sometimes on the basis of the investigation.

As for sponsor, maybe that'd be an additional filter on candidates, finding someone in State, Justice, Defense who will sponsor an investigation. It could be telling just to know that 'no agency wants to touch' this individual with a ten foot application.'
And the cost could be shouldered by the campaign. The ability to come up with the scratch for an investigation, would also filter out random jackasses filing their candidacy as a publicity stunt, or a dare...

Is it? The background investigation is separate from actually holding a security clearance. The clearance is sponsored by the site's security manager, and depends on, among other things, a successful background check, and the need to know, but the investigation can be performed in anticipation of a future need.
Ours were started in Missiles-go-boom 'A' school, where our need to know never exceeded Confidential, but we were training for Above Top Secret jobs down the line... Even those of us that failed out of A or C school, sometimes on the basis of the investigation.

As for sponsor, maybe that'd be an additional filter on candidates, finding someone in State, Justice, Defense who will sponsor an investigation. It could be telling just to know that 'no agency wants to touch' this individual with a ten foot application.'
And the cost could be shouldered by the campaign. The ability to come up with the scratch for an investigation, would also filter out random jackasses filing their candidacy as a publicity stunt, or a dare...

Sure, a future need to know works too but I don't think a POSSIBLE future need to know would work. When I got my degree, would it have been possible to get an investigator started early on my investigation, assuming I had the $100k to pay for it, just because I was searching for jobs in the defense industry? I actually have no idea. I thought I needed a sponsor to get the ball rolling like, in my case, Boeing.

The investigator does just make a recommendation to the DoD about whether you should be granted access or not so I guess you could get the investigation part out of the way early.

Sure, a future need to know works too but I don't think a POSSIBLE future need to know would work. When I got my degree, would it have been possible to get an investigator started early on my investigation, assuming I had the $100k to pay for it, just because I was searching for jobs in the defense industry? I actually have no idea. I thought I needed a sponsor to get the ball rolling like, in my case, Boeing.

The investigator does just make a recommendation to the DoD about whether you should be granted access or not so I guess you could get the investigation part out of the way early.

The BI for my Top Secret started the second semester of my senior year of college after I got orders to report to Sheppard AFB for initial Officer Crew Training. I had to go to the local police station for finger prints and the the DIS people started asking around my old neighborhood. Our next door neighbor was asking if I was in trouble because there were DOD investigators asking questions.

Later,
ElectEngr

Last edited:

I'm talking about the investigation part of it. Just because the current system requires a sponsor doesn't mean it has to be done that way and since they aren't part of anything classified it wouldn't actually reveal any secrets to them.

Back
Top Bottom