• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

No Means Yes If You Know How To Spot It

I will also suggest that you re-read my multiple posts wherein I've stated that while two very drunk people may not be able to consent under the policy, if neither of them reports the incident then there isn't going to be an investigation.
What if two people are equally drunk, but only one of them reports it?

Because some people keep insisting that "no means yes" and the belief that "she's just being coy" means they can ignore the "no" and that consent can't be withdrawn and that falling down drunk people in a black-out state can still consent.
And some people in the world insist that the earth is only 6000 years old, and others are convinced that the magical sky-daddy of the jewish zombie can see them fapping. There's a point where continued argument gains you nothing.

What if two people are equally drunk, but only one of them reports it?
why is one person reporting it? Being drunk is not a defense against being the assailant.

Because some people keep insisting that "no means yes" and the belief that "she's just being coy" means they can ignore the "no" and that consent can't be withdrawn and that falling down drunk people in a black-out state can still consent.
And some people in the world insist that the earth is only 6000 years old, and others are convinced that the magical sky-daddy of the jewish zombie can see them fapping. There's a point where continued argument gains you nothing.
California isn't continuing the argument. The law is passed.

why is one person reporting it? Being drunk is not a defense against being the assailant.
How do you determine that they were an assailant?

Let's take this step by step. If both people are equally drunk, then are either of them capable of giving consent?

That's great, but the example given was two drunk people having sex with each other. Drunk people can't meaningfully give consent, right? So is that two people raping each other, even if they both had a great time and decide to do it again the following night? Or is this issue a bit more complicated than you're trying to make out it is?

All of the policies quoted have been relatively lengthy texts. You're saying that it's a simple matter and no confusion is possible. Those two don't square with each other.
for someone who whines about people making these discussions all personal, you sure do that an awful lot :rolleyes:

At least I don't make personal attacks on other posters, like calling them whiners.

I'm trying to point out that there is an inconsistency here. Why is that a problem?

If you can find any post of mine ever saying it is a simple matter with no possibility of confusion, you go right ahead and post it WITH links back to the full source.

Hey, chill, it's not like I'm accusing you of supporting the Stubenville rape.

Ok, so you're not saying that it's a simple matter. But you have been saying that it's just about consent. So now I don't know what your position is. What I do know is that every time I bring up a possible complication, you appear to be arguing against me. Can you clarify?

In the meantime, I will suggest that you re-read an earlier post of mine wherein I discussed at length what I see as the difference between "drunk" (& unable to consent) and having had a couple of drinks but still able to consent.

Ok, so you are saying that two people who are <insert standard of dead drunk here> and have sex, have raped each other? Even if they choose to repeat the experience?

if neither of them reports the incident then there isn't going to be an investigation..

Which brings us neatly back to what I was saying - that the rules involve criminalisation of normal behaviour, and that's a problem even if there isn't an investigation/expulsion in a particular case. Saying that a rule wouldn't be enforced in practice is a get-out. If the rules wouldn't cover in the first place, then we don't need to say it. If the rules do cover behaviour we agree we don't want to prosecute, then they're not doing their job, and should be changed. Or else we have a less credible standard, which reduces the number of people willing to follow it, greatly reduces the possible cultural impact of the rule, which as Rhea and are discussed are really what we're after here, and gives people like Derec all the ammunition they need to actively attack what at base are just a set of rules to ensure everyone can get along.

None of that gets mitigated even slightly by the argument that the rule would, in practice, only be applied to selectively. Which is why I disagreed with that argument when it was first brought up, and disagree with it now.

What is being clarified is what constitutes actual consent.

No, what constitutes consent is what is being redefined, and having additional penalties attached to it. That's a problem when it starts covering previously acceptable behaviour, such as having sex while drunk, where the difficulties aren't so obvious.
nothing is being redefined, and you have not demonstrated that it is.

So why do we need a policy at all? If it's all common sense, and nothing is being redefined, then all we need to do is enforce the current law and everything is fine.

If two people who are dead drunk can't consent to sex with each other, then sex in that state is mutual rape, and intimate contact in that state is sexual assault. Because it is sex without consent, and sexual contact without consent.

Are you suggesting that we should eliminate all laws/policies that most people view as common sense?

No, rape is still illegal, no matter what the university puts in their policy. But if the university is going to add a document to the effect that mutually consenting adults who have sex with each other while drunk are in breach of regulations and may be expelled, then that harms the credibility and thus the effectiveness of practical policies to reduce rape.

Or are you suggesting that what was done to the high school student by the football players was "ordinary" and perfectly fine?

I doubt it. I don't know which of the many, many such incidents you're talking about though.

Steubenville: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

There were far too many people, including a few on this board, who declared emphatically that this was not a sexual assault, and that the girl somehow consented. It is because of people like that we need such policies.

No, it really isn't. Because people who drug their ex-girlfriends and gang rape them with their friends, and those who support them, aren't going to listen to any policies, and are already violating the existing regime. A new policy does nothing to stop them. I'd follow the line that's been said before here, that the aim with these policies is to create an atmosphere, a culture, where consent is taken seriously, and people are careful of each other when they're not capable of consent. It not (and this is where I disagree with Rhea) about scaring people into obedience with an arbitrary standard, or about satisfying an urge to 'get at' the rapists.

The thing we have to bear in mind is that, ultimately, the social sanction that actually prevents incidents like this isn't going to come from you, or from me, or from the university. It's going to come from some person on the scene, who doesn't have particularly strong politics on the subject, trying to work out whether this issue they've heard of is worth speaking up in front of their friends. At that point, the credibility of the rule is the only thing that matters.

And if that causes some people to err on the side of caution, so what?

Apart from undermining your own policy, inviting public ridicule, making life harder for anyone who supports you, giving free ammunition to your opponents, stunting the sexual development of students, and making the campus generally an unhappy and uninviting place to live?

Well, the basic problem is that sexual behaviour isn't just a period of randomness before you get a bride/groom in the mail and get allocated a white picket fence. It's how people actually meet and get to know each other and get some basic chemistry together. By promoting rules that inhibit this process, either by creating a feeling of fear and intimidation over intimate contact, or by promoting rules that if followed, leave you at a disadvantage in getting the guy/girl compared to someone who doesn't follow the rules, then you make rule followers less successful. And if you think that a desire to follow college rules is a bigger draw than getting the girl/guy, then you've got a nasty shock coming. Rules that get in the way of dating will be dropped like a hot potato, which is precisely why I believe we can't afford to 'err on the side of caution' - because we're fiddling with interactions that are fundamentally important to people.

The bottom line is you can't both exhibit a fundamental disregard for the negative effects of your policies and expect people to follow them. It's not good enough to dismiss mistakes or problems as unimportant, or to say that obviously the rule will only be applied when it's appropriate, because that's not how public policy works.

The accounts of the two other Columbia students who reported assault, which were not considered relevant evidence in Sulkowicz’s case, though perpetrators of sexual violence tend to be repeat offenders, were also dismissed.
Perhaps they were dismissed because no complaints were made to the university. I have not seen anything where Columbia confirmed these additional complaints and the passage I quoted indicates that the girls compained to Emma, not necessarily the university. Of course, another possibility is that that the girls filed their complaints after Emma's, but there is obvious problem with collusion there.
Since no one ever claimed that all three students accused him of anal rape, you are presenting yet another strawman. All three women reported sexual assault from the same man, and all three cases were dismissed.
I do not see how "groping" or unspecified "abusive" behavior (maybe he just called her fat for all we know) are even relevant to the claims of anal rape. I mean that's quite an escalation.
Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

And you have not addressed the point that if he was drunk and she wasn't it was her raping him anyway because he wasn't able to consent.

:rolleyes: seriously Derec? Are you really reverting back to the deranged scary rapist in the bushes trope?
I'm just saying that he doesn't seem the type based on her description.
Another thing. In his testimony he said that he could not have pinned her down because her lower body strength was higher than his. I have no idea if that's true, but presumably the university investigators saw them both and found this credible.

Last edited:
why is one person reporting it?
Post-coital regrets? Not wanting her boyfriend to think she cheated? She wanted a relationship but he only a one night stand? Or any of a myriad possible other reasons.

Being drunk is not a defense against being the assailant.

So being drunk automatically makes a woman unable to consent and thus automatically renders a drunk male an "assailant". Genius!

California isn't continuing the argument. The law is passed.
Just because Governor Moonbeam signed a ridiculous law doesn't mean there is no argument to be made.

Last edited:
Going back to the OP, if the Californian legislation were to be in Florida, it would change the dynamics of how the Winston case is being handled. Winston would carry the burden to prove that at every single step of physical contacts with the alleged victim, there was a clear/cut continuous consent on her part.
This reversal of burden of proof is probably the biggest single problem with legislation like this. You are in effect demanding that male students accused of rape prove their innocence rather than the colleges having to prove their guilt.

I hope this law gets challenged constitutionally and overturned. Burden of proof must never fall on the defendant.

- - - Updated - - -

More evidence that Derec's claim is baseless:

Columbia University fielded complaints against 10 undergraduate students for sexual assault last academic year, but the Ivy League school punished none of them.

According to the Huffington Post, Columbia disclosed such information for the first time since coming under fire for improperly handling sexual assault on campus. Of the 10 disciplinary cases regarding rape or an equivalent crime, four are still open.

http://www.universityherald.com/art...school-punished-no-one-for-rape-last-year.htm

If Derec's claim were accurate, we should have more expulsions than not. At Columbia, we have NONE.

There were two cases withdrawn by the complainants, and four are still open.

Looks like Columbia is one of the few universities that still thinks claims of rape/sexual assault have to be proven rather than guilt assumed. Kudos to them! Of course, that sort of integrity puts them squarely in the cross-hairs of the Obama administration.

Setting aside Derec's general view on women,
What general view on women?

Derec, can you truly be unaware that you present yourself as a man who has great hostility toward women and fears the power a woman's sexuality gives her?

You hear it over and over again. Do you believe everyone is simply wrong and lack perceptive ability, or do you believe it is because you have not properly explained your positions?

Derec, can you truly be unaware that you present yourself as a man who has great hostility toward women and fears the power a woman's sexuality gives her?
It's not the female sexuality I fear but radical feminist inspired laws and enforcement of laws that gives women undue power.
Female sexuality is great. Ability of women to fuck a man and then accuse him of "rape" as far as a year later is not.

Ok, so you are saying that two people who are <insert standard of dead drunk here> and have sex, have raped each other? Even if they choose to repeat the experience?

if neither of them reports the incident then there isn't going to be an investigation..

Which brings us neatly back to what I was saying - that the rules involve criminalisation of normal behaviour, and that's a problem even if there isn't an investigation/expulsion in a particular case. Saying that a rule wouldn't be enforced in practice is a get-out.

You're acting like this is something unique to rape and never practiced anywhere else. Yet, when my brother takes my car without my permission it _is_theft_ but will not be prosecuted unless I report it. If I say to myself, "that little rascal, oh well, at least he always washes it and fills it with gas, even if he is a pest," it is still theft! even if he never does a day of time over it. But I let him get away with actual theft because I don't, in the end, have a problem with the fact that he stole something of mine.

Is this is big justice problem to you?

Ditto to my neighbor borrowing my tractor, or my friend taking my child into her car when it's pouring rain on the way to the library. It _is_ a crime, but really, only if I, the victim, object.

Last edited:
You're acting like this is something unique to rape and never practiced anywhere else. Yet, when my brother takes my car without my permission it _is_theft_ but will not be prosecuted unless I report it.
That is not a good analogue for what we are talking about in this thread, which is two people being guilty of the same thing, as in consensually fucking while drunk or consensually fucking but neither bothering to obtain explicit consent at every step of intimacy. A better example would be you and your brother street racing and you then reporting him for street racing. Just because you reported it doesn't mean you are not guilty of the very same thing he is.
This doesn't apply if we have an actual claim of real rape (for example with Mattressgirl) but in cases where colleges are trying to build a "fence around consent", treating consensual sex as non-consensual but only against one party (in all cases I know the male).

You're acting like this is something unique to rape and never practiced anywhere else. Yet, when my brother takes my car without my permission it _is_theft_ but will not be prosecuted unless I report it.
That is not a good analogue for what we are talking about in this thread, which is two people being guilty of the same thing, as in consensually fucking while drunk or consensually fucking but neither bothering to obtain explicit consent at every step of intimacy. A better example would be you and your brother street racing and you then reporting him for street racing. Just because you reported it doesn't mean you are not guilty of the very same thing he is.
This doesn't apply if we have an actual claim of real rape (for example with Mattressgirl) but in cases where colleges are trying to build a "fence around consent", treating consensual sex as non-consensual but only against one party (in all cases I know the male).

You're an <snip> for calling her "mattressgirl," by the way. It's not cute, it's not clever.

Last edited by a moderator:
There doesn't seem to be much argument that consent given under the influence of drugs or alcohol, under duress, or as the result of withholding or deliberately misrepresenting facts, is not valid consent except when we're talking about sex. What is it about sex that in your opinion overrides society's rules about what it means to have consent?

Two drunk people having sex means two people having sex when valid consent is not possible to give or receive. So, yes, it is possible for both to be guilty of rape. In practical terms, it's not likely they will be found equally responsible even if they are. The mounter will most likely face harsher consequences than the mountee. But even then the issue isn't clear. The mounter might genuinely think s/he was the mountee due to incomplete recollection, and report the other one as the aggressor. It could very well be the last thing one of them remembers is saying "no, and all of the subsequent action is lost in the fog of booze permeating their memories of that night. It could be that they each had very different expectations and intentions but they were both so drunk they thought they were in perfect agreement.

Drunk sex is a gamble. It might pay off with a fun night of sexual hijinks. Or it might land you in serious trouble and get you expelled. Either way, it's your choice to engage in risky behavior that brings about the result, good or bad. Why is this so hard to understand?

You're an <snip> for calling her "mattressgirl," by the way. It's not cute, it's not clever.

I actually think "matterssgirl" is an improvement over the usual mockery of victims. At least he isn't spelling her name backward or making comments about her father's shorty's crib.

I actually think "matterssgirl" is an improvement over the usual mockery of victims.
Not mockery, just a descriptor based on her stunt.
At least he isn't spelling her name backward or making comments about her father's shorty's crib.
If you mean Rehteah, it's not I who spelled it backwards but her parents.
As to "father's shorty's crip", I was just venting my frustration for people who kept misrepresenting to whom the condo belonged.

There doesn't seem to be much argument that consent given under the influence of drugs or alcohol, under duress, or as the result of withholding or deliberately misrepresenting facts, is not valid consent except when we're talking about sex. What is it about sex that in your opinion overrides society's rules about what it means to have consent?
Drunk people can consent to many different things. You are also under no obligation to be absolutely and comprehensively truthful in daily interactions with all sorts of different people. That sort of scrutiny is usually reserved to legal matters, but not to casual interactions and transactions.
A cab driver is not under threat of robbery and kidnapping charges every time he picks up a drunk as we do not say that the drunk could not have consented to being driven around. Similarly, if you hire a cab you are under no obligation to be absolutely and exhaustively truthful to him.

Two drunk people having sex means two people having sex when valid consent is not possible to give or receive. So, yes, it is possible for both to be guilty of rape. In practical terms, it's not likely they will be found equally responsible even if they are. The mounter will most likely face harsher consequences than the mountee.
I do not think any of them should be punished for such drunken hookups. Also as to your mounter/mountee disticntion, I do not see how sexual positions determine who could consent and who couldn't.
But even then the issue isn't clear. The mounter might genuinely think s/he was the mountee due to incomplete recollection, and report the other one as the aggressor. It could very well be the last thing one of them remembers is saying "no, and all of the subsequent action is lost in the fog of booze permeating their memories of that night. It could be that they each had very different expectations and intentions but they were both so drunk they thought they were in perfect agreement.
Which is why rightly such drunken hookups are very rarely prosecuted, even when there is a complaint. Unfortunately universities, often compelled by grandstanding politicians like Obama, Biden and Moonbeam, are increasingly punishing such hookups, and of course they invariably punish the man. Even if he was a virgin, he was drunker than her (Matressgirl admitted to have only had a sip while he was quite tipsy, yet she was not expelled!) and regardless if they did it in the missionary or cowgirl position.

Drunk sex is a gamble. It might pay off with a fun night of sexual hijinks. Or it might land you in serious trouble and get you expelled. Either way, it's your choice to engage in risky behavior that brings about the result, good or bad. Why is this so hard to understand?
It's hard to understand why it should be a matter for the law or college administrators at all. If you regret having drunken sex don't get drunk and have sex. Easy. Don't try to punish the other person just because you end up regretting your own decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

Well at the very least it fits. :)

That is not a good analogue for what we are talking about in this thread, which is two people being guilty of the same thing,

No, I was answering Togo's question of how do you make a rule that will not always be enforced. That was my example of how it is already done quite often.

Perhaps they were dismissed because no complaints were made to the university. I have not seen anything where Columbia confirmed these additional complaints and the passage I quoted indicates that the girls compained to Emma, not necessarily the university. Of course, another possibility is that that the girls filed their complaints after Emma's, but there is obvious problem with collusion there.
Again, I've posted multiple quotes from multiple sources stating that all three girls filed complaints with the university. If you are demanding a separate direct press release issued from Columbia, you aren't going to get it about any of the women who have filed complaints, including Emma.

Since no one ever claimed that all three students accused him of anal rape, you are presenting yet another strawman. All three women reported sexual assault from the same man, and all three cases were dismissed.
I do not see how "groping" or unspecified "abusive" behavior (maybe he just called her fat for all we know) are even relevant to the claims of anal rape. I mean that's quite an escalation.
So?

:rolleyes: seriously Derec? Are you really reverting back to the deranged scary rapist in the bushes trope?
I'm just saying that he doesn't seem the type based on her description.
what is "the type" Derec?

Another thing. In his testimony he said that he could not have pinned her down because her lower body strength was higher than his. I have no idea if that's true, but presumably the university investigators saw them both and found this credible.
You have zero indication from any source that the university found this specific claim "credible", and I don't. I know exactly what position she describes him as having her in (been there a few times myself) and there is no possible way she could have thrown him off. And even by his own admission, his strength is upper body and arms... the part of his body he was using to pin her down.

Back
Top Bottom