• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Profound Thoughts

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Whomever came up with pockets in sweat pants is a genius.

If some people spoke to their friends the way they speak to their children, they wouldn't have any friends.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is probably under psychiatric care, for visions of things he has no words to describe. Clouds, stars, moon, sun, lightning, lightning bugs... and why he doesn't want to go down in the cellar....

Think of how stupid the average person is; and half the people are even stupider than that.
-George Carlin

Where did the seedless grape come from?

Made me curious, so I looked it up. Many fruit trees and vines are "essentially clones":

If you go to a grocery store today to buy grapes, there is a good chance that the only type of grape you can buy is seedless. Nearly all grapevines in production today produce seedless grapes.

It turns out that most fruits today do not come from seeds. They come from cuttings instead. This is true of grapes, blueberries, apples, cherries, etc. (pretty much all fruits except citrus, although scientists are working on that, too). A piece of a vine or branch is cut off, dipped in rooting hormone and then placed in moist dirt so that roots and leaves form. Because they come from cuttings, new grapevines are essentially clones of the vine they were cut from.

Seedless grapes actually do contain seeds at some point. But a genetic error prevents the seeds from forming hard outer coats like normal seeds do.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/question349.htm

TIL

Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on.

-Billy Connolly

No one wins, and no one loses, we all just die.

Just because something is true, doesn't make it worth saying.

No one wins, and no one loses, we all just die.

215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

:p

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell

Not so much humor but I like finding opportunities to interject this quote into conversation.

Are there cuckoo clocks in psyche wards?

Do cannibals enjoy finger-foods?

Is this not enough? This blessed sip of life, is it not enough?

Also not so much humor but I love it.

My favourite Dave Matthews Band quote:

I was there when the bear ate his head, thought it was a candy. Everyone goes in the end.

I have two things and want to give away most of them. What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom