• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged

I've never bought into the "other guy is worse" thing. In the case of Trump supporters, it was a cover for voting for a racist misogynist, whose career demonstrated a disdain for the rule of law.
Do you think that the supporters of Trump voted for him because he's a racist, misogynist and whose career demonstrated a disdain for the rule of law?

Or do you think the lack of faith in the existing political elite is so strong that they're desperate for anyone to come in an change things around?

BTW, USA is extremely rich. It's much richer than any other country by magnitudes. USA used to be dirt poor. Just 200 years ago USA was a shithole. So it's interesting that faith in USA's political elites is so low. Obviously, someone in charge of USA, at some point, did something right and then it kept going, because USA is still the richest country on Earth.
I know it's a limited data sample, but based on the Trump supporters I know, that's exactly why they voted for him.

I've never bought into the "other guy is worse" thing. In the case of Trump supporters, it was a cover for voting for a racist misogynist, whose career demonstrated a disdain for the rule of law.
Do you think that the supporters of Trump voted for him because he's a racist, misogynist and whose career demonstrated a disdain for the rule of law?

Or do you think the lack of faith in the existing political elite is so strong that they're desperate for anyone to come in an change things around?

BTW, USA is extremely rich. It's much richer than any other country by magnitudes. USA used to be dirt poor. Just 200 years ago USA was a shithole. So it's interesting that faith in USA's political elites is so low. Obviously, someone in charge of USA, at some point, did something right and then it kept going, because USA is still the richest country on Earth.
I know it's a limited data sample, but based on the Trump supporters I know, that's exactly why they voted for him.
I'm sure DrZoidberg can educate you on how to talk to such people.

In these parts racists are very touchy about being called racists. They don't like it at all. They're very good at insisting that it's other stuff, unique to the local kind of brown people that's the problem.

It's important to read the Statement of Facts underlying the indictment to understand how the news media has misconstrued the merits of the case. This is not a case about the Stormy Daniels scandal. It really involves a pattern of behavior that can be pinned directly on Donald Trump to suppress all kinds of stories that might have an impact on his election. Trump's defense is that he didn't want his wife to be exposed to these "false rumors", but there is plenty of evidence that it was the election, not Melania's delicate feelings that motivated him. For example, the prosecution will be calling attention to his dealings with David Pecker of the National Enquirer to "catch and kill" the McDougal affair. Trump even paid hush money to a Trump Tower doorman who claimed Trump had fathered an illegitimate child, when, in fact, that story was not true. It doesn't matter whether these scandals were true or false, just that Trump committed crimes to cover them up. The violation of campaign finance laws is the central issue in the case, not any particular scandal. The scandals themselves have tended to obscure the issue, because they are salacious. But the crime had to do with falsification of the business records connected with the payments. The case now looks much stronger than it did before the indictment was made public.

Of course it wasn't about Melania, but this makes it patently clear.

The Defendant directed Lawyer A to delay making a payment to Woman 2 as long as possible. He instructed Lawyer A that if they could delay the payment until after the election, they could avoid paying altogether, because at that point it would not matter if the story became public. As reflected in emails and text messages between and among Lawyer A, Lawyer B, and the AMI Editor-in-Chief, Lawyer A attempted to delay making payment as long as possible.

Letitia James indicted Trump for financial crimes. Trump has tried to delay his trial over this but that came to an abrupt, judicial end. The trial is scheduled to start October 15.

Judge Juan Merchan of the Supreme Court of New York - "Is there anything that needs to be addressed before we conduct the arraignment?”

Christopher Conroy for the prosecution - "No, your honor."

Todd Blanche for the defense - "No, your honor."

Judge Juan Merchan - “Let’s arraign Mr. Trump.”

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 10-56-57 The Arraignment of Donald J. Trump A Detailed Summary.png

Trump Arraignment.png

Trump.Cover_.Final_.jpg

At this point, Judge Merchan has to realize that Trump isn't going to behave like an adult, no matter what he tells him or his lawyers. Trump can pretty much pay any fine that the guy throws at him. The judge can't throw him in a jail cell. A gag order isn't going to work, unless he uses a real gag and restraints, which I'm pretty sure the Secret Service would object to. Trump has his Twitter and Facebook accounts restored, so he has his internet megaphone back, if he chooses to use it. Right now, he is using the criminal case for a massive fundraising effort. The more he attacks the court and the prosecution, the more money he takes in. He is back again as flypaper for talking heads on the news. They can't get enough of him, and Democrats can't stop using him to raise money for their own coffers. Trump gives new meaning to the expression "contempt of court". DeSantis is basically roadkill on Fifth Avenue.

At this point, Judge Merchan has to realize that Trump isn't going to behave like an adult, no matter what he tells him or his lawyers. Trump can pretty much pay any fine that the guy throws at him. The judge can't throw him in a jail cell. A gag order isn't going to work, unless he uses a real gag and restraints, which I'm pretty sure the Secret Service would object to. Trump has his Twitter and Facebook accounts restored, so he has his internet megaphone back, if he chooses to use it. Right now, he is using the criminal case for a massive fundraising effort. The more he attacks the court and the prosecution, the more money he takes in. He is back again as flypaper for talking heads on the news. They can't get enough of him, and Democrats can't stop using him to raise money for their own coffers. Trump gives new meaning to the expression "contempt of court".

This is the test. Can one man thumb his nose at the law and get away with it? He's certainly going to try. Trump is basically the bad guy at the end of every gangster movie, daring the cops to come and get him. The only thing that gives me hope is that at his core, Trump is like every bully. A scared, bruised person who has never had anyone really hit back. We've seen it in footage from other depositions, and a bit of it at his arrest. In the courtroom, he was subdued. Cowed, even. He didn't get his defiant tone back until he was safely ensconced at his resort.

Back
Top Bottom