• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The End of the Donald Trump candidacy.

I think we'll know that the Republicans have finally and fully bailed on Trump if they start holding confirmation hearings on Merrick Garland.

^ Best thing I can say about Hillary, is I thought she was kinda hot when she was first lady.

As far as competence... She's competent to enrich herself. She's not competent to improve a country. She's a sell out to the banks, and she's more of a hawk than Trump is... which is more than a little disturbing.

I highly doubt Trump would be "less hawkish" considering Trump wants John Bolton to be his Secretary of State. John Bolton is vehemently pro-intervention, and was 100% for the war in Iraq. But hey, they're both assholes so they'd get along well.

^ Best thing I can say about Hillary, is I thought she was kinda hot when she was first lady.

Nice. Very Trumpian of you.

As far as competence... She's competent to enrich herself. She's not competent to improve a country. She's a sell out to the banks, and she's more of a hawk than Trump is... which is more than a little disturbing.

I love how all these non-Americans like to think they know US politics so well. You don't even have had to follow this election that closely to know that Trump is a cartoonishly bloodthirsty warmonger going by his own words. Clinton will keep things pretty much as they are which is not great but the world isn't great. On the other hand, Trump thinks the largest military in the world by far is actually too weak and wants to spend lots more on it, he wants more ships, more jets, and more troops. He even wants more nukes, and wants other nations to have more nukes. He's never met a war he didn't like, that is, until after most everyone else was already against. He wants to "bomb the shit out of" Isis, and use torture on detainees, to be more brutal than what Isis does to its prisoners, all the while ramping up antagonism with the Muslim world with his mindless rhetoric and actions creating more enemies for him to bomb the shit out of. And who knows how he'll react when a foreign leader says something that hurts his easily bruised feelings? Who knows which foreign leader's pussy he will grab? Who knows what he'll do as Putin's useful idiot? Maybe he'll decide to annex Canada. Justin better watch what he says. Nobody knows what he will do, least of all the vindictive, fascist, man child, boner brained illiterate sociopath.

Spoken like a true liberal/ :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who quite likes Hillary and thinks that she'll be a competent and effective President?

I think I'm the only one.

Nope. I'm a fan.

I didn't used to be. But I've learned more and more about her and I'm now an actual fan.
I _like_ that she knows her shit, inside and out. She doesn't bullshit and she doesn't prevaricate. If you say something new, she stops and listens and asks questions.
I like that she makes plans. Actual plans. With researched detail. That can then be read and critiqued or discussed. Or implemented as-is.
I like that she is not black and white. She understands nuance and compromise, if she must.
I love that she us unflappable. That woman is made of steel. She will not lose a negotiation from intimidation.
I love that she is compassionate. All the years of caring about outcomes for children. The fact that her foundation does so much worldwide for health.
Not a big fan of her more corporate ideas. But I believe the congress can push something to her and she won't veto it - I think she can be swayed on that.
I like her new positions on LGBT and I think they are new and also sincere.
I like very much that she keeps her religion to her personal actions. She shows that strongly religious people can be not-douchebags about it.

I wasn't in her camp to begin with, and I definitely would not support her in '08 - I did not want a "Dynasty" to become a mark of our country. Bush Clinton Bush Clinton... kind of tarred her with the Bush's brush, I suppose, but that's how I felt at the time, and I think I was right, still.

But now... Now I am a fan. I think she will do very well for us.

Am I the only one who quite likes Hillary and thinks that she'll be a competent and effective President?

You're not the only one.

She is a fairly typical Democratic presidential candidate, and IMO is going to be no worse than any other Democrat president of recent times - including the incumbent, who suffered from extraordinary expectations, but turned out not to be the Second Coming, but rather just a decent president who made things a bit better over the course of his two terms.

Leaving aside the crazy people who despise a president due to skin colour or gender, rather than because of what they actually do in the oval office, we find Obama who was a bit of a disappointment because he was over-hyped as bringing a massive positive change (which he could never have done, not least because Congress wouldn't allow it); followed by Hillary who will be a surprisingly good president because she has been over-hyped as bringing a massive negative change (which she could never be, not least because Congress wouldn't allow it).

Hillary will just get on with being president, and will have some wins (few, if any, spectacular) and some losses (few, if any, spectacular); Whilst the GOP and FoxNews peanut gallery continue their frothing and raving about the fact that the world is ending (just as they have for the last eight years).

You're not the only one.

She is a fairly typical Democratic presidential candidate, and IMO is going to be no worse than any other Democrat president of recent times - including the incumbent, who suffered from extraordinary expectations, but turned out not to be the Second Coming, but rather just a decent president who made things a bit better over the course of his two terms.

Leaving aside the crazy people who despise a president due to skin colour or gender, rather than because of what they actually do in the oval office, we find Obama who was a bit of a disappointment because he was over-hyped as bringing a massive positive change (which he could never have done, not least because Congress wouldn't allow it); followed by Hillary who will be a surprisingly good president because she has been over-hyped as bringing a massive negative change (which she could never be, not least because Congress wouldn't allow it).

Hillary will just get on with being president, and will have some wins (few, if any, spectacular) and some losses (few, if any, spectacular); Whilst the GOP and FoxNews peanut gallery continue their frothing and raving about the fact that the world is ending (just as they have for the last eight years).
i read this and i thought "wait... so you're saying obama is The Force Awakens" of presidents?
and then i realized how true that was and it made me laugh.

I think we'll know that the Republicans have finally and fully bailed on Trump if they start holding confirmation hearings on Merrick Garland.

That won't happen before the election. And if Clinton wins, Obama will probably withdraw him. If Democrats also win the Senate, he'll almost certainly withdraw the nomination.

this whole pile of intellectual faffery is once again predicated on the completely wrong and inexplicably repeated mistake of assuming any of these things are things that trump supporters think are bad.
they are not.

the 50ish% of the US voting population that always vote republican generally find trump to be awesome and the shit he says to be peachy.
you can't have an "ah shit now it's all crumbling down" moment in the trump campaign because that would require any of these things to be objectionable to the people who are going to be voting for him, and none of it is.

i don't understand why "liberals" can't wrap their heads around this.

I agree there is a conservative base that will go along with anything as long as the guy they support wears the label they approve of. However, a great many other guys with labels that the conservative base has approved of in the past and defended like they were Jesus are openly opposing Donald. The number of prominent Republicans openly rejecting Donald right now is unprecedented.

Granted, they are leaders and not quite the same mentality as the right wing followers, but they share a great many cognitive traits with the regular, unambitious types. There's also a growing number of less prominent conservative voices objecting to Donald Trump all over media. This must be a bit confusing to the masses of right wing authoritarian followers as their messiah is challenge by almost all of their other messiahs and revered figureheads. If Reagan were alive, I have no doubt he'd be among the Bushes and other prominent Republicans denouncing the orange clown. (Too bad Reagan isn't alive right now... we might have gotten to see Sarah Palin's head finally explode for good.)

Trump's supporters are now boiling down to a condensed reduction of male white supremacists and other unaware whack jobs, and they are a minority.

Basically, all the GOP offers many people is their hard stand on abortion and appointments to our courts, and gun laws. Without these wedge issues, they would dry up and blow away. But as long as these big three positions are in play, there will be a GOP capable of winning the House and Senate.

You're looking at it backwards. Trump is so bad, that Hillary is winning.

Trump should have been D.O.A. It is ridiculous that he won the Republican nomination. Shows the Republican party to be FUBAR. And it is also ridiculous that he's even a factor against Hillary. Shows how horrible she is. Many would apparently rather vote for a poop slinging orangutan before they'd vote for Hillary. She is THAT bad. Hillarious that these are your choices, considering the USA is supposed to be a "shining beacon on the hill". The rest of the world is laughing very hard at you right now.

As an outsider, if you read her full history, she's actually pretty good. It's not Hillary that's BAD, it's the GOP's decades long experience in mudslinging that's GOOD. They're so incredibly good at it, that the poop slinging orangutan actuall has a chance due to all the poop sticking to Hillary.

l

Trump should have been D.O.A. It is ridiculous that he won the Republican nomination. Shows the Republican party to be FUBAR. And it is also ridiculous that he's even a factor against Hillary. Shows how horrible she is. Many would apparently rather vote for a poop slinging orangutan before they'd vote for Hillary. She is THAT bad. Hillarious that these are your choices, considering the USA is supposed to be a "shining beacon on the hill". The rest of the world is laughing very hard at you right now.

As an outsider, if you read her full history, she's actually pretty good. It's not Hillary that's BAD, it's the GOP's decades long experience in mudslinging that's GOOD. They're so incredibly good at it, that the poop slinging orangutan actuall has a chance due to all the poop sticking to Hillary.

This.

And since when is argumentum ad populum an actual indicator of quality? That's a logical fallcy Mr. Penguin. Popularity is only an indicator of popularity, it is otherwise rather useless for finding the comparitive value of anything in this world.

I agree with zorq's position and therefore make it more valid due to the increased support for it.

Basically, all the GOP offers many people is their hard stand on abortion and appointments to our courts, and gun laws. Without these wedge issues, they would dry up and blow away. But as long as these big three positions are in play, there will be a GOP capable of winning the House and Senate.

The republicans also have the fake meme that it's possible that lowering taxes while increasing spending will reduce the deficit. People love to believe in magic.

Back
Top Bottom