• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Great post! This attack on Waltz is totally bullshit! He did his 25 years! I was in the military then also. We all thought (including military intelligence and Bush) that it would be a cake walk. I’m more surprised that he didn’t stay in in order to win some easy medals (didn’t turn out that way though). But then he got a better offer. And honorably discharged.

Last edited:

Great post! This attack on Waltz is totally bullshit! He did his 25 years! I was in the military then also. We all thought (including military intelligence and Bush) that it would be a cake walk. I’m more surprised that he didn’t stay in in order to win some easy medals (didn’t turn out that way though). But then he got a better offer. And honorably discharged.

I was not in the military. I talked to Muslim people who knew about the facts and culture and were generally familiar with the reality.

They laughed at Bush II's lies. They found it hard to believe that modern American people, with Internet access, would believe that crap. They accurately predicted a bunch of stuff.
Like Saddam Hussein had no wmds of interest. That the occupation of Iraq would be a military disaster because we were hated almost as much as Hussein. That the military Baathists would disappear into the general population and regroup once the American forces lost (they predicted ISIS).

And they could give cogent explanations for why they believed all of that.

If a gay guy in southern Indiana could find this out so easily the only explanation for the Bush II's policies is flat out lying. They knew the truth, but had to lie because "We want control of the Gulf oil fields, we don't care how much death and destruction it takes to get it." wouldn't have worked well for them.
Tom

I was not in the military. I talked to Muslim people who knew about the facts and culture and were generally familiar with the reality.

They laughed at Bush II's lies. They found it hard to believe that modern American people, with Internet access, would believe that crap. They accurately predicted a bunch of stuff.
Like Saddam Hussein had no wmds of interest. That the occupation of Iraq would be a military disaster because we were hated almost as much as Hussein. That the military Baathists would disappear into the general population and regroup once the American forces lost (they predicted ISIS).

And they could give cogent explanations for why they believed all of that.

If a gay guy in southern Indiana could find this out so easily the only explanation for the Bush II's policies is flat out lying. They knew the truth, but had to lie because "We want control of the Gulf oil fields, we don't care how much death and destruction it takes to get it." wouldn't have worked well for them.
Tom

Yes, I agree with all the above. I never bought into the war. Was against it from the beginning. However, I remember that a sizable majority in the US supported the invasion.

Be that as it may, the republicans are trying to swiftboat Waltz on his military service. For some odd reason, they are terrified running against anyone who has served in the military.

Trump will debate Harris September 10th on ABC.

Will he, though?

That's a month out, and as we're learning, a month can be an eternity in this campaign season. A month ago, it was a foregone conclusion that Trump was on a roll. Polls were all in his favor. Biden was a disaster. Over the last week or so, the polls have flipped in favor of Harris/Walz. Not in an "if the election were held today it would be a landslide" way, but the Trump camp is currently back on their heels.

The Democratic ticket is barnstorming across multiple swing states this week (PA, MI, AZ) while the Trump campaign is headed to....Bozeman Montana.

The question remains if the Trump camp can find a line on Harris/Walz and land some blows. I'd say that's unlikely, but again...it's another month until the (maybe) next debate. As for the debate itself, a lot hinges on the rules that the host(s) lay out. If Trump is allowed to stalk the stage and shout over his opponent like he did with Hillary in 2016, it might be a wash, since Harris hasn't been especially strong in this area.

That is, if he even shows up. He seems to be leaning towards an "if I don't have an audience I can feed off of, I'm out" stance, but then, that didn't hurt him against Biden.

Will he, though?

That's a month out, and as we're learning, a month can be an eternity in this campaign season. A month ago, it was a foregone conclusion that Trump was on a roll. Polls were all in his favor. Biden was a disaster. Over the last week or so, the polls have flipped in favor of Harris/Walz. Not in an "if the election were held today it would be a landslide" way, but the Trump camp is currently back on their heels.

The Democratic ticket is barnstorming across multiple swing states this week (PA, MI, AZ) while the Trump campaign is headed to....Bozeman Montana.

The question remains if the Trump camp can find a line on Harris/Walz and land some blows. I'd say that's unlikely, but again...it's another month until the (maybe) next debate. As for the debate itself, a lot hinges on the rules that the host(s) lay out. If Trump is allowed to stalk the stage and shout over his opponent like he did with Hillary in 2016, it might be a wash, since Harris hasn't been especially strong in this area.

That is, if he even shows up. He seems to be leaning towards an "if I don't have an audience I can feed off of, I'm out" stance, but then, that didn't hurt him against Biden.
I believe it was Trump that chose the date and the location, but I could be wrong.

Will he, though?

I believe it was Trump that chose the date and the location, but I could be wrong.
I mean, Trump claimed in his press conference today that his crowd on January 6th was bigger than the crowd that saw Dr. King deliver his "I have a dream" speech at the March on Washington. Though he didn't say it, I'm willing to bet that he was thinking "and that was a good speech...great speech...but mine was so much better. Many people think it was better."

For some reason in Australia we are not being drowned in a torrent of nonsense about the forthcoming election. Granted still too long to go. This could change.
Still getting a lot of blather and bluster but not like in 2020.

For some reason in Australia we are not being drowned in a torrent of nonsense about the forthcoming election. Granted still too long to go. This could change.
Can I come stay at your place until late November?
I promise to be good.
Tom

Can I come stay at your place until late November?
I promise to be good.
Tom
You bring no guns and I will supply no drop bears.

Streisand Effect?
Sounds like fodder for SNL. We're just two completely normal guys.

I saw a poll today that had Harris ahead of Trump by several points in Georgia, so if the disgusting people who now have the right to questions he results a district before certifying them, do the right thing, there is a good chance that Harris will carry Georgia. I think that Trump's frequent criticisms of Kemp might just be helping turn some independents and moderate Republicans blue for this election. I disagree with Kemp's social positions, but he has done some good things economically for the state and his approval ratings have always been much higher than Trump's.

Don't worry, gang. Tampon Tim will stop the red wave.
I see what you did there. Isn't that sort of misogynistic, though?
Since I got the joke from a female comedian, you tell me.
Hmmm. Good question. If the negative things some men have said about Kamala originated with female sources, does that absolve them of being misogynistic?

Personally, I thought it was pretty funny joke. A little on the edgy and provocative side these days, for sure. The term misogynistic has apparently changed over the years. When I first learned about the word it in the early '70's (from reading a Playboy article under my dad's bed :)) , it was portrayed as a rather pathological condition. Serious hatred and contempt towards women, with physical harm or emotional damage being the manifestation. There was a clear distinction between sexism and misogyny. Fast forward 50 years, and the demarcation has become much more blurry. Like a lot of words, my mind is still somewhat stuck on its meaning from 50 years ago, so I'm inclined to see sexism (if that) more than misogyny with your joke.

Flipping between two livefeeds this morning, of both the candidates doing little rallies. The contrast is striking.

I'm starting to wonder whether Trump is mentally competent enough to manage a coup.

MANAGE a coup?
He can’t ”manage” anything; he’s an idiot.
But the people to whom he is a useful idiot, are more than capable.

I'm starting to wonder if Trump will still be the Republican candidate come November.

His poll numbers are dropping like rocks. His fan base is easily led. He's becoming increasingly irrational on the stump. How hard would it be for the rich and powerful who want to back a Republican winner in November to get rid of him?
Not very...
Tom

Back
Top Bottom