• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

I'm a lot more compassionate. Trump is a severely mentally ill, deranged man suffering from dementia. He can't help who he is since I don't think we have free will. So I'd put him in a nursing home with a lock down memory care unit. Then I'd give him a little sign that says president or king and let him watch his old rallies all day. Melania would have to come to visit and help change his diapers.

The primary goal is to keep Trump from ever entering the Whitehouse again. OMG, I'm watching one of his extremist commercials. Maybe he should at least get a little bit of prison time, before he totally loses his short term memory and then we can transfer him to the nursing home. Nursing homes these days aren't much bette than prisons, sadly.

We can’t choose our genetics or our upbringing but we can choose what to do. If indeed Trump is demented or deranged that is a different thing, but he has been a criminal and a con artist his whole life and he chose every step of the way. An old saw among therapists is that you can’t control your feelings but you can control your behavior. We certainly have free will in that sense, and Trump chooses to be bastard. I agree our prison system is geared far too much toward punishment and retribution, and needs to be humanely reformed. But there is no reason why Trump should avoid federal prison for his numerous crimes. Besides, unlike other inmates, when he is there he will have the Secret Service to keep other inmates from making him their fat orange bitch.

The contrast Harris is trying to bring home was underscored last Thursday in dueling appearances by the two nominees. Standing amid the faux-gilt of his Mar-a-Lago hotel, Trump, who has largely been homebound at a crucial point in the campaign, talked a lot about [i[himself[/i].
Like “Nobody’s spoken to crowds bigger than me.”
Meanwhile, Harris was in Michigan at a United Auto Workers local flanked by Walz and Shawn Fain, the union’s visionary president, to extol “the dignity of work” and the value of collective action.

While Mar-a-Lago Trump called the United States as a “very, very sick country right now,” Harris spoke an actual populist language with a strong emphasis on patriotism.

“Our campaign is about saying, ‘We trust the people, we see the people, we know the people.’ You know one of the things I love about our country? We are a nation of people who believe in those ideals that were foundational to what made us so special as a nation. … We love our country.”
If there are any high-level Republicans who want Donald Trump to step down, they are not saying very much.

MTG doesn't seem to have gone on Instagram about how the RINO's in the party want to replace not only Donald Trump but also JD Vance.

Last edited:
And...?
I'm starting to wonder if Trump will still be the Republican candidate come November.
Change the name is that sentence from Trump to Biden and Republican to Democrat and y0u have Biden c. July 2024.
... and?
Biden is no longer on the ticket. Are you implying that Trump will be gone in September?
WHOTHEHELL are they going to put up in his place, Hannibal Lechter?
I was responding to Tom C's post 4,819. He was the one who wondered if Trump would still be republican candidate come November.
If you ask him nicely he might tell you his reasoning.

I was responding to Tom C's post 4,819. He was the one who wondered if Trump would still be republican candidate come November.
Cynic that I am I could produce a long list of reasons why Trump might not be the Republican candidate come November.

One is health problems, of the natural sort. He's old and gets worked up about things.

Another is the fact that he's losing the election, huuuugely. His political supporters can't help but notice that. I'm not talking about the Joe MAGA out there, I'm talking about the people with billions of dollars worth of clout.

Then there's darker possibilities. Trump used to be convenient for Putin. Now Trump is not. Putin has a long history of assassination, international, for the politically inconvenient to Putin. Trump is now politically inconvenient to Putin and Putin is between a rock and NATO.
Do your own math.

Trump is in a world of disaster and he knows it. So do his "friends".
Tom

Donald Trump's recent Truth-Social tweets:

Truth Details | Truth Social - Aug 06, 2024, 12:59 PM
What are the chances that Crooked Joe Biden, the WORST President in the history of the U.S., whose Presidency was Unconstitutionally STOLEN from him by Kamabla, Barrack HUSSEIN Obama, Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Shifty Adam Schiff, Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, and others on the Lunatic Left, CRASHES the Democrat National Convention and tries to take back the Nomination, beginning with challenging me to another DEBATE. He feels that he made a historically tragic mistake by handing over the U.S. Presidency, a COUP, to the people in the World he most hates, and he wants it back, NOW!!!

I've yet to see any evidence that JB wants to re-enter the race. After seeing how well KH and TW are doing, he may not want to.

Truth Details | Truth Social - Aug 06, 2024, 12:36 PM
This is the most Radical Left duo in American history. There has never been anything like it, and there never will be again. Crazy Kamabla is, indeed, CRAZY. I HEAR THERE IS A BIG MOVEMENT TO “BRING BACK CROOKED JOE.”

DT often claims to have such sources, but he never names any of them.

What are the chances that Crooked Joe Biden tries to take back the Nomination
Zero, Donny. Your goose is fucking COOKED. Take the gun you’re not allowed to have, and head for the bunker. Make it easy on all of us.

And...?
I'm starting to wonder if Trump will still be the Republican candidate come November.
Change the name is that sentence from Trump to Biden and Republican to Democrat and y0u have Biden c. July 2024.
... and?
Biden is no longer on the ticket. Are you implying that Trump will be gone in September?
WHOTHEHELL are they going to put up in his place, Hannibal Lechter?
Also “AdamWho” (did I get the poster’s handle wrong?) predicted months ago that neither Trump nor Biden would end up in the race on Election Day. I can see numerous scenarios whereby that could end up being the case, but I still don’t consider any of them probable.

They've violated other song copyrights as well, e.g. for Springsteen's "Born in the USA."
They seem to have no idea what thet song is really about.

Well, give the hominids running Trump's campaign a tiny bit of credit. The lyrics to the Bruce Springsteen song are slightly more subtle than the lyrics to, e.g. this song by Country Joe & the Fish. (Listening to the Country Joe parody just now, maybe unusually stupid jingoists who do listen to the lyrics would nod their heads in agreement!)

Not THAT subtle, however. You can take almost any line out of context in Springsteen's song and realize it doesn't conform to Trumpist jingoism. Is it only stupid people that work for the Trump campaign? I mentioned this Trumpist problem in my recent post:

The "left-right" axis in American politics has lost relevance.
The present political divides are 100+ IQ vs 99- IQ.; ... [et cetera]

But this is all obvious to sentient Americans. ... I'm posting mainly to leave readers only a click away from two of the great songs of my generation. 8-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But while I'm here let me apologize to Kamala Harris. I think I was pushing Gretchen Whitmer for Prez in another recent thread, despite that there are technical reasons why it needed to be Harris. My "thinking" was that 4 years ago Harris did NOT seem eloquent behind a microphone.

I don't know if she's changed or what, but when I hear Kamala Harris speak these days, I am filled with admiration, joy and optimism!

Trump on helicopter with black guy that had close call.
article said:
The man who almost crashed in a helicopter with Donald Trump told POLITICO Trump confused him with former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown — despite the former president’s repeated insistence it was Brown.

It was Nate Holden, a former city councilmember and state senator from Los Angeles, who said in an exclusive interview late Friday that he remembers the near-death experience well. He and others believe it happened sometime in 1990.

“Willie is the short Black guy living in San Francisco,” Holden said. “I’m a tall Black guy living in Los Angeles.”

“I guess we all look alike,” Holden told POLITICO, letting out a loud laugh.
Trump mistakes wrong Brown with wrong African American male in a close call in a helicopter in meaningless anecdote at press conference.

Trump's helicopter tall tale was not meaningless. Trump's aim was to claim Willie Brown heavily disparaged Kamala Harris, whom Brown knew very well. It was a lie and he blurted it out with malicious intent. And then got called on it. How he thought he could get by with that lie is a mystery.

Donald Trump defies political convention. Dude was shot at in an assassination attempt (apolitical, which might be part of the reason), and somehow managed to fall in the polls. Even odder, it is like the shooting almost didn't even happen! The transition to Harris has asphyxiated the Trump campaign in the press. Biden dropped out, Harris maybe, Harris, who'll be Harris's running mate? We transition back to a normal campaign at this point. We wait and see if the polls continue to increase for Harris or whether a new 2020ish polling level sets up.

July 19th.

August 12th

Electoral-Vote.com aggregates polls and asks "if the vote were held today, how would the Electoral College contest turn out?"

Three weeks ago Trump was looking at a landslide victory. Biden had never been doing well vs Trump, then came the disastrous debate, the assassination attempt, and then a very prominent GOP convention. It was Trump with 320, Biden with 218, and no ties.

As their top headline today says, "What A Difference 3 Weeks Makes." Harris at 276, Trump at 235, and 27 electoral votes up for grabs (in Arizona and North Carolina). The last poll in Arizona was on July 30th, before a very successful Harris/Walz rally in Glendale. NC's last poll is more recent, and has both campaigns tied at 46%.

Georgia and Indiana are listed as "Barely GOP," but the last numbers they have for Indiana are from April, while Georgia's are more recent from July 30th, but that was before Walz was named as VP pick. It is worth noting as well that campaign events scheduled for Atlanta and North Carolina had to be rescheduled due to Tropical Storm Debby, so it remains to be seen if they get a "bump" from those events.

As far as the Trump campaign's counter-measures? A disastrous press conference, a small rally in Bozeman, Montana (a sure win for Trump but with only 4 electoral votes), a scheduled interview with Elon Musk, and (apparently) a gross-out joke about horse semen. Vance is out there making appearances, but is spending a good amount of time defending his "childless cat ladies" comments, Trump's racist comments, and simultaneously trying to distance them from Project 2025 while also promoting policies torn from the pages of the thing.

Of course the questions remain. Will Harris/Walz be able to keep up the momentum? Will Trump/Vance be able to recover and hit back effectively? Will Batman and Robin be able to escape the clutches of The Joker and Mr. Freeze? Tune in next week!

Indiana is an asterisk as that is an old Zogby poll which had several questionable results. I'm not thinking Indiana is an issue. But Arizona and North Carolina are tied up, Georgia he is up one aggregated point. Trump can't lose any of the three states! I expect things to settle a bit, but just a bit. The *phew* inducing polls can be found in Maine and New Hampshire, where Harris is comfortably ahead. Biden's polling there was a canary for me. Having to recover in Maine and New Hampshire wasn't a great sign.

Harris is looking to solidify the north wall and then force the issue in FL, GA, AZ, NC. The Trump campaign doesn't have as much cash due to him pilfering the money for lawyers. Things weren't looking great for Biden, but there was still a possible balancing, had the debate failure not happened. Things are not looking up for Trump.

Don't worry, gang. Tampon Tim will stop the red wave.
I see what you did there. Isn't that sort of misogynistic, though?
Since I got the joke from a female comedian, you tell me.
Hmmm. Good question. If the negative things some men have said about Kamala originated with female sources, does that absolve them of being misogynistic?

Personally, I thought it was pretty funny joke. A little on the edgy and provocative side these days, for sure. The term misogynistic has apparently changed over the years. When I first learned about the word it in the early '70's (from reading a Playboy article under my dad's bed :)) , it was portrayed as a rather pathological condition. Serious hatred and contempt towards women, with physical harm or emotional damage being the manifestation. There was a clear distinction between sexism and misogyny. Fast forward 50 years, and the demarcation has become much more blurry. Like a lot of words, my mind is still somewhat stuck on its meaning from 50 years ago, so I'm inclined to see sexism (if that) more than misogyny with your joke.
I don’t think it’s misogynist in this particular instance. It’s actually a clever play on words. Context is everything.

I laugh at how Megyn Keely claims that boys are “forced” to have tampons in their bathrooms.

AS IF

Fourth grade boys would not have a hilarious time making fun of tampons and using them for things that bring even great nyuck-nyucking to their little 10yo brains.

Also, tampons make an excellent emergency kit addition to the boy scout backpack, as they can be used for everythinbg from filtering water to removing water from boots to starting fires.

But really, what if they DID put tampons in boys’ bathrooms. So what? Is someone trying to keep periods a secret because they are “unclean” or something, and we don’t want little boys to have any empathy for little girls, but rather to be disgusted by bodily functions? Seriously? The population that laughs their heads off over farting and diarrhea jokes?

WTF is the agenda here?
I spent two years on a women’s only floor in my college dormitory that had 4 urinals in each women’s bathroom. In case anybody wonders where I get the balls…

Trust me: Urinals take up a great deal more real estate than a tampon dispenser.

BTW, tampons and pads are great at stopping blood flow and are terrific to have in any first aid kit.

Back
Top Bottom