• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Much of the stuff Biden has done (or wanted to do) was good, but by no means all.
I am annoyed by partisans. If you offer any criticism of their guy, they accuse you of shilling for the other guy. It's immature. Not everything Biden does is good. Not everything Trump did was bad.

I am annoyed by your consistent use of Republican partisan tropes and baseless smears to attack Biden, but nothing even close to it for Republicans, including Donald Trump. That is shilling for the guy you claim to oppose. Nobody is arguing that everything Biden does is good, or anything Trump does is bad, but the two men are hardly comparable, if you are actually keeping scores. It's one thing to criticize Biden. Most of us who support his presidential bid oppose some of his policies and have actually criticized his behavior.

I have not been shy about saying that I don't think he should be the Democratic nominee and that I think he is too old, but I also think that Trump is too old to be running the country. Nevertheless, given the choice between Biden and just about any Republican, I would vote for Biden purely on the basis of his overall policies, his experience, and his competence. Donald Trump would never get my vote, so it pains me a lot more that he is going to be the likely Republican nominee. He represents an existential threat to our democracy and our rule of law.
If Trump wins, he will be just as old as Biden while he is in office.

And, I don't understand how any atheist could support a Republican at this point in time, considering they are hoping and planning to have a theocratic form of government.
Just because I am critical of the old duffer Brandon does not necessarily mean I support Trump. For sure I will not be voting for Brandon.
Perhaps if you got your news from a legitimate source of news instead of the one that you frequently quote, you might have a better idea of what Biden has accomplished compared to the idiot Trump.
I frequently quote Teh Gruaniad, no good? Most of the MSM is propaganda of one sort or another.

The rather unfortunate truth is that the choice will be between Biden and Trump. I don’t agree with everything Biden has done but that’s true of any POTUS—ever. Biden is too old but so is Trump and Trump lacks any vigor or mental or moral capacity to be an effective leader. Biden gets stuff done ( see recent funding bill) , works effectively with competent people—even those he strongly disagrees with. Both have sons with drug problems. Trump reportedly has his own drug problems, which may/may not be tru but he obviously lacks the capacity needed to hold office. Also Trump will not tolerate anyone who does not give a sufficient appearance of being his sycophant.

For those who cannot abide Biden, you can thank Trump for Biden’s second run. I believe that Biden would have happily retired if it had not appeared he was the only candidate who could assuredly beat Trump and I think the prospect of a second run at the office is why Biden has chosen not to take that route.

Either man could easily experience such ill health or death and no longer be able to serve the next term. But Trump is not going to allow any even semi-ethical or semi competent person as his VP.

These are previous times and Biden is our best choice.

The rather unfortunate truth is that the choice will be between Biden and Trump. I don’t agree with everything Biden has done but that’s true of any POTUS—ever. Biden is too old but so is Trump and Trump lacks any vigor or mental or moral capacity to be an effective leader. Biden gets stuff done ( see recent funding bill) , works effectively with competent people—even those he strongly disagrees with. Both have sons with drug problems. Trump reportedly has his own drug problems, which may/may not be tru but he obviously lacks the capacity needed to hold office. Also Trump will not tolerate anyone who does not give a sufficient appearance of being his sycophant.

For those who cannot abide Biden, you can thank Trump for Biden’s second run. I believe that Biden would have happily retired if it had not appeared he was the only candidate who could assuredly beat Trump and I think the prospect of a second run at the office is why Biden has chosen not to take that route.

Either man could easily experience such ill health or death and no longer be able to serve the next term. But Trump is not going to allow any even semi-ethical or semi competent person as his VP.

There are 320 million persons in the US and still cannot believe the best you can up with (for whatever reason) are Biden and Trump.

Much of the damage that Trump did to our national reputation has now been repaired,
I dunno. I think that's going to need rather more serious repercussions for his attempted coup than he has yet faced.

If you want to restore America's international reputation, you need to put him up against a wall, with a blindfold and a cigarette.

Or at least get him breaking rocks at Leavenworth.
And he should be far from alone against that wall.

There are 320 million persons in the US and still cannot believe the best you can up with (for whatever reason) are Biden and Trump.
To be fair, not all of those people meet the qualifications. Including Trump.

Just because I am critical of the old duffer Brandon does not necessarily mean I support Trump.
Under your current two party system, yes, it actually does. Whether you understand it or not.

Unfortunately the only forseeable possibility of change to that system in the near future, is if Trump succeeds in his next attempt to overthrow it.

It was never supposed to be Joe Biden, it was supposed to be his son Beau Biden, who had a solid pedigree, but cancer killed him. And yes, Biden is hardly the first, second, or third choice. Of course, of Biden and Trump, complaining about Biden being the candidate in the same breath as Trump... that's a bit disproporationate?

And, I don't understand how any atheist could support a Republican at this point in time, considering they are hoping and planning to have a theocratic form of government.
Just because I am critical of the old duffer Brandon does not necessarily mean I support Trump. For sure I will not be voting for Brandon.
Perhaps if you got your news from a legitimate source of news instead of the one that you frequently quote, you might have a better idea of what Biden has accomplished compared to the idiot Trump.
I frequently quote Teh Gruaniad, no good? Most of the MSM is propaganda of one sort or another.
The MSM tagline was invented by a right-wing blowhard who accomplished no public service in his life and was nothing but a propagandizer for the right-wing. Calling the general media in the US the "MSM" while complaining about it as propaganda is ridiculously silly.

Biden's only true fault is his age. Which isn't the same thing as me agreeing with everything he does. I don't. I don't expect to. On the plus side of Biden's age is his expertise which he has continued to build throughout his career.

Trump's only quality is that somehow he manages to be able to entice a certain kind of person. I am extremely perplexed by this as to me, it is obvious that he is an arrogant, ignorant egotistical pathological narcissist without the appropriate temperament or demeanor or intellectual capacity to be a leader of any kind. If he had not been born to a wealthy man, no doubt he would have been a retired insurance salesman at this point in his life. If he had been born to a father (and perhaps mother--not sure enough about her) who was capable of providing a loving home, it is possible that he might have turned out to be a decent human being but for whatever reason: genetics, (lack of/type of) nurture, that did not happen. Plenty of people rise above such circumstances---I know a few who were raised in extremely abusive homes who are truly good people and who are not narcissists but that is how Trump turned out. I'm a little sorry for him but he's a treasonous coward and a cheat and a criminal who deserves prison, assuming he is ever tried and convicted.

My personal assessment of the GOP since I was born is that the last decent POTUS they gave us was Dwight Eisenhower, with Gerald Ford being a default----no one elected Ford and that perhaps was because he was decent. Nixon was obviously not a decent person but he had some decent ideas. Reagan, imo, gave us Trump by consciously and deliberately being elected on the basis of his ability to tell a good story, albeit generally quite untrue and to sell it to the American people. The party learned from that and honed that and it has given us Trump. Oh, sure there were the Bushes in there as well and they were terrible, II being worse than I but both lacked the 'charisma' or the personality that seems to charm some people. I don't understand it. Trump has never seemed to me to be anything other than an egotistical fraud who, upon closer inspection and constant exposure has shown himself to be malignant in every aspect. I think that for some people, because he apes Christian values rather than models them and speaks well to their prejudices, he has become the flawed man who can lead them. Mostly, I think they believe that because the right religious leaders have backed him. There is nothing Christian or decent about him. But he talks about abortion as a bad thing and is at best, dismissive of women and horrifically bigoted towards anyone who is not as white as he is, or as male or as 'rich' making it weird that he is beloved by so many working class people, except that he apes their prejudices, including a certain degree of self-loathing.

It was never supposed to be Joe Biden, it was supposed to be his son Beau Biden, who had a solid pedigree, but cancer killed him. And yes, Biden is hardly the first, second, or third choice. Of course, of Biden and Trump, complaining about Biden being the candidate in the same breath as Trump... that's a bit disproporationate?
Eh? Maybe. 2020 Dem primaries showed us a decent number of good candidates for POTUS.

Eh? Maybe. 2020 Dem primaries showed us a decent number of good candidates for POTUS.
And Biden defeated them all. ;)

He did. I admit that I groaned when he entered the race because of his age. I think he was seen as a known entity and also as someone who could defeat Trump.

He far out performed my expectations.

He did. I admit that I groaned when he entered the race because of his age. I think he was seen as a known entity and also as someone who could defeat Trump.

He far out performed my expectations.
He has, with the help of Schumer and Pelosi. And even with the House falling temporarily to the GOP, he and Schumer are not falling down.

I agree with Toni that Dwight Eisenhower was the last good Republican President.

Richard Nixon was awful in some big ways, though good in some other ways. When running against LBJ, he claimed that he had a plan for making peace in Vietnam. He had no plan, but kept the war going for four more years, expanding it into Cambodia. Also the Watergate scandal, where he tried to cover up the misdeeds of his underlings. Also the "Southern Strategy", continuing the realignment of the Republican Party to make it the party of Jefferson Davis. But he did sign some Sixties reform legislation, like creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Gerald Ford was neither very good nor very bad. I couldn't stand Ronald Reagan. George Bush I was much like Gerald Ford. George Bush II was awful, getting the US into some big wars, wars that took a long time before the US extricated itself from them. The pullout from Iraq was peaceful, a lot of trucks on a road to the Iraq-Kuwait border with nobody trying to get on them, but the pullout from Afghanistan was different, with people trying to get on a military transport plane, much like the pullout from Vietnam, with people trying to get in a helicopter hovering over a building.

Donald Trump will likely be remembered as one of the worst Presidents in US history, like Warren Harding, Andrew Johnson, and James Buchanan.

Ford was benign. George HW Bush was probably the only decent Republican President since Eisenhower. He wasn't particularly liked by the conservative wing of the party. Nixon had China, but the de-evolution of the GOP into this putrid mess starting with Nixon and the Southern Strategy and politicizing southern angst over losing the Civil War and then the Civil Rights movement. Trump is by far the worst President ever. Guy had a bunch of protestors gassed so he could do a photo op with a Bible. Probably the worst leader on the Continent since Santa Ana. And of course, while Trump is awful, it is the base that is even worse, that they support such a spoiled wannabe tyrant in the first place, who continue to let themselves be conned by him, by giving him (and the GOP) more and more money.

The only true knock against Biden is his age. Unfortunately it takes considerable time to build relationships and gain expertise.

Biden beat out some very good candidates during the 2020 primaries. Who are not challenging him for the party’s nomination this go round. As it happens, I think Biden turned out that be who we needed in 2020 and aside from his age, I think that remains true for 2020.

Now reasonable people will point out that we’ve had much younger POTUS with relatively little experience in the past who did well or well enough in their position. Most recently was Obama—whose VP was Joe Biden.

Sorry, I was busy reading a biblical passage from Two Kings, what were you saying? ;)

Back
Top Bottom