• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Second Debate Thread

The debate format of 2 minute responses was designed to prevent substantive discussion on issues. Despite the moderators attempts to keep both on track, the format succeeded - very little of substance was discussed in my opinion. Both candidates were unimpressive in my view. I don't think these performances will change the minds of their base supporters. And, I wonder how many of the truly undecided could stomach 90 minutes of this "debate".

I can when it's merely technically true.
But this is deceptive and accidental, because Russia is there to keep Assad regime alive and ISIS just happened to be smaller problem militarily for Assad at this time.
Yeah, Russia wants a Russia friendly Syria regime so they can keep their warm water port access. I understand and appreciate that. Russia will not bend on Syria. Assad will step down and be replaced by someone Assad friendly in 5 or so years and Russia will keep what they have had access to.
You can't blame Russia for something US is guilty more often. US have a shitload of even worse than Assad friends which provide US with warm water ports.
Where did I blame anyone for anything in those statements?
Having said that, Russia is interested in killing ISIS members too, primarily because a lot of them come from Russia and they better die in Syria than return to Russia. Russian "propaganda" meanwhile accuse US in not fighting Al Qaeda, suspicion is, they want to keep them to eventually topple Assad which is insane to say the least. Putin believes that without Assad at least for now there will be no hope for Syria.
There is no hope for Syria. It is this generation's Lebanon.
It depends, parts of the Syria which managed to stay under government control have been surprisingly OK.
The nation's largest city has been under siege for how long?
Less than 40 years, so they are doing OK compared to US pet projects like Afganistan.

Of the remaining "undecideds", do you think Donald made any headway? I don't. He's toast. For the still undecided, they will use the "Precipice Rule". They will seek safety.

He made no headway with anyone other then the base. However, the base seems to have loved his performance - I don't know why. If they're still with him, it's tough for the leadership to dump him. That means he keeps dragging them down and they gave to wring their hands in shock and dismay again later this week when the next bombshell drops.

Also, good job by Trump in essentially daring the media to dig up his sex scandals. The last guy who did that was Gary Hart. Remember how that turned out?

He hit all the "why I hate Hillary" talking points and framed Hillary as though she was Supreme Leader of the United States for the last thirty years. He can get away with this because he knows his audience. I think it could be argued he's battling the GOP as much as he is Hillary. He's taking up the mantle of leader of the Tea Party. He'll loose the election and build a media platform on it. Unlike most of his failed business escapades, he can make this work. You think Donald would be satisfied with a spot on Fox? Not for long.

These two clowns are well matched for this circus.

The only person either could ever stand a chance winning against is the other.

Why do some Trump supporters talk like this? They don't seem to understand that we deal with more of them than just one, so their passive aggressive, 'they are both bums' is nothing but a smokescreen?

Huh?

He made no headway with anyone other then the base. However, the base seems to have loved his performance - I don't know why. If they're still with him, it's tough for the leadership to dump him. That means he keeps dragging them down and they gave to wring their hands in shock and dismay again later this week when the next bombshell drops.

Also, good job by Trump in essentially daring the media to dig up his sex scandals. The last guy who did that was Gary Hart. Remember how that turned out?

He hit all the "why I hate Hillary" talking points and framed Hillary as though she was Supreme Leader of the United States for the last thirty years. He can get away with this because he knows his audience. I think it could be argued he's battling the GOP as much as he is Hillary. He's taking up the mantle of leader of the Tea Party. He'll loose the election and build a media platform on it. Unlike most of his failed business escapades, he can make this work. You think Donald would be satisfied with a spot on Fox? Not for long.
"Trump the victim." That's his whole shtick. Why is it no one is pouncing on this? He blames everybody for everything, including the fact that he doesn't pay income taxes. He can't release his returns because of the IRS. It's like he has no voice, can't vote, can't find a decent public servant. He's the leader that has been crucified by the establishment. If he knew who William Jennings Bryan was he might give us all a cross of Government speech with arms outstretched. He's suffering for all of us at the hands of "the" government, media, Washington, etc.

I'm just so glad he's out there willing to suffer and sacrifice for us. He's such a great unselfish hero. Sheesh!

He's a dick at best.

Why do some Trump supporters talk like this? They don't seem to understand that we deal with more of them than just one, so their passive aggressive, 'they are both bums' is nothing but a smokescreen?

Huh?

He's saying that one is bad while the other is a complete joke and disgrace.

One has baggage while the other is a raving lunatic.

"Trump the victim." That's his whole shtick. Why is it no one is pouncing on this? He blames everybody for everything, including the fact that he doesn't pay income taxes. He can't release his returns because of the IRS. It's like he has no voice, can't vote, can't find a decent public servant. He's the leader that has been crucified by the establishment. If he knew who William Jennings Bryan was he might give us all a cross of Government speech with arms outstretched. He's suffering for all of us at the hands of "the" government, media, Washington, etc.

I'm just so glad he's out there willing to suffer and sacrifice for us. He's such a great unselfish hero. Sheesh!

He's a dick at best.

I totally agree with you Joe. Trump tries to find blame for everything. He blames crime on muslims and blacks. He blames the slowing economy on Mexicans. He blames a warming climate on Chinese conspiracists.

If somebody is calling both of them "clowns" then he is as little a Trump supporter as he is a Hillary supporter.
And JonA said it because it was true. Hillary would have no chance against anybody else than Trump. Even somebody like Cruz would cruise past her in the polls.

That's delusional. Cruz has worse favorables than Clinton.

I'm surprised that the morning pundits aren't making a bigger fuss about Trump threatening to put his opponent in prison. That's very disturbing. It's dictator talk.

This, more than anything else, is what stood out to me too

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering how much he paid them

This, more than anything else, is what stood out to me too

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering how much he paid them

I've heard it was Breitbart that paid them. Nothing confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/ughHugs/status/785301585916198912?lang=en-gb

Now we know why he wants to take women furniture shopping.

Last edited:
Or promised to pay them. If he didn't give cash upfront, they're likely left with nothing for their efforts.

He's saying that one is bad while the other is a complete joke and disgrace.

One has baggage while the other is a raving lunatic.
No, I'm saying I don't believe for a second these people who say they don't like either candidate (though push hardest against Clinton), and that they are going to vote for Trump.

Watching the debate now, maybe one third in. Two biggest annoyances, is that neither Clinton nor Trump seems to be able to answer a question in a few simple sentences without veering off-topic, and of course Trump being an ass and heckling Clinton and attacking the moderators.

Watching the debate now, maybe one third in. Two biggest annoyances, is that neither Clinton nor Trump seems to be able to answer a question in a few simple sentences without veering off-topic, and of course Trump being an ass and heckling Clinton and attacking the moderators.
Clinton did best to stay on target. One main problem were the audience questions which amounted to drivel, for the most part, except the ACA and the Muslim / Islamophobia questions. The second issue was Trump was all over the road.

"Explain yourself with the video that was released."
"I'm sorry. ISIS. I was against invading Iraq. She killed the Lindbergh baby."

Warren Buffet calls out Trump on paying federal income taxes and releasing returns while under audit. Too bad none of the Trump supporters will notice.

Buffet is a good man, I think. Trumpsuckers "are rapists. And some, I assume, are good people". It's not a surprise that they deny or applaud Trumples bragging about criminal sexual assault. They've made their bed and they are going to sleep in it. Nothing is going to dissuade them from indulging their irrational hatred of all things Clinton. What matters here is that there aren't enough of them to win a national election - at least not without Uncle Vlad's help hacking voting machines...

Jimmy Higgins said:
No, I'm saying I don't believe for a second these people who say they don't like either candidate (though push hardest against Clinton), and that they are going to vote for Trump.

The art of denying support for Trump while supporting Trump is becoming an artform of which trumpsuckers are true masters.

Back
Top Bottom