• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

Put a pile of groceries over at my mom's empty house today for my daughter to use for the week with a friend as their college campus is kicking all the students out until next Sunday.

Why the fuck can't the kids just stay on campus? All the experts are warning of a country-wide super-spreader for Thanksgiving but the colleges aren't even giving people a choice to be safe.

We are lucky as shit to have a spare house at the moment.

Cheaper for them than paying people to work on the holiday.

Never mind the death toll, that doesn't come out of their pocket.

You'd think that a part of the public college system could do better than go against advisories of that same state government.

Oh ffs, the control freaks in LA county have banned in person dining from Wednesday. Again no “science or data” presented for justification of such dumb and arbitrary diktat. Protests in various parts of California took place over the weekend, masks burned etc.

Of course the news doesn't present the science or data--it's far too complex for a newscast. It's not dumb or arbitrary, dining in is a substantial risk factor, along with bars and large indoor gatherings (ie, religious services.)

LA shutting down dining is based on a five day average of surpassing 4,000. I believe they took the five day total of 20,487 and divided by five to come up with 4,097 or something like that.

Oh ffs, the control freaks in LA county have banned in person dining from Wednesday. Again no “science or data” presented for justification of such dumb and arbitrary diktat. Protests in various parts of California took place over the weekend, masks burned etc.

Of course the news doesn't present the science or data--it's far too complex for a newscast. It's not dumb or arbitrary, dining in is a substantial risk factor, along with bars and large indoor gatherings (ie, religious services.)

LA shutting down dining is based on a five day average of surpassing 4,000. I believe they took the five day total of 20,487 and divided by five to come up with 4,097 or something like that.

Don't forget that 0.4 of a person, it could be your g___df_t__r or g___dm_t__r.

Put a pile of groceries over at my mom's empty house today for my daughter to use for the week with a friend as their college campus is kicking all the students out until next Sunday.

Why the fuck can't the kids just stay on campus? All the experts are warning of a country-wide super-spreader for Thanksgiving but the colleges aren't even giving people a choice to be safe.
I am surprised that that the college is allowing students to return for the end of the semester after Thanksgiving.

I am surprised that that the college is allowing students to return for the end of the semester after Thanksgiving.

Her school is not doing too badly 5500 students, 6649 tests, 35 positives.

An autumn increase in cases has been expected since the first round last spring - coronaviruses are generally more infectious in colder weather.

Governments in Australia and New Zealand prioritised controlling the epidemic over economic activity, and as a result their people suffered less harm both clinical and economic.

I just want to point out the very obvious northern versus southern hemisphere element of seasons...

What I meant was that if the government had taken strong action back in January we'd probably not need hard lockdowns now. It's the lack of action in the beginning that is responsible for the current plague being the disaster that it is, and requiring harsh lockdowns that wouldn't be necessary.
Tom

Most of the rising cases right now has to do with it getting colder (when coronaviruses are stronger) and people moving indoors. I doubt that firmer action 11 months ago would make a whole lot of a difference to the weather :).

Overall, it looks like about 1% die. About 20% end up with psych issues. Large numbers end up with lasting health issues, some with lifetime disability.

I assume this is a mis-type, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it ought to be instead of 'psych'.

No, it is correct. The virus has a 1:5 chance of giving you brain damage and thus lasting "psychological" problems such as brain fog.

What I meant was that if the government had taken strong action back in January we'd probably not need hard lockdowns now. It's the lack of action in the beginning that is responsible for the current plague being the disaster that it is, and requiring harsh lockdowns that wouldn't be necessary.
Tom

Most of the rising cases right now has to do with it getting colder (when coronaviruses are stronger) and people moving indoors. I doubt that firmer action 11 months ago would make a whole lot of a difference to the weather :).
You mean other than reducing the number of active cases that could spread?

An autumn increase in cases has been expected since the first round last spring - coronaviruses are generally more infectious in colder weather.

Governments in Australia and New Zealand prioritised controlling the epidemic over economic activity, and as a result their people suffered less harm both clinical and economic.

I just want to point out the very obvious northern versus southern hemisphere element of seasons...

So? Australia, population 25M, got through their winter with only covid 900 deaths to date. Austria, 9M, is standing at 2500 and our winter has only just started.

Tom

This is ridiculous.
Countries in the southern hemisphere clamped down and explained the things needed to reduce the spread. Even though they were headed into winter, C19 did far less damage to places like Australia and New Zealand.

The weather is a factor, but a relatively minor one. Both the government and the everyday folks took the issue seriously and did what they could to minimize damage. As a result they had less damage than places like the USA and Brazil. Places where the government downplayed the issue and encouraged the populace to do so also suffered much more damage.

Sorry, the weather isn't the big issue here. It's the leadership.
Tom

This virus is going to with us for years, not months.

Coronaviruses in general have been with us for pretty much all of human history. They'll be with us of the foreseeable human future as well. This particular coronavirus will be with us... until it mutates pretty much. Same story as influenza and rhinovirus.

Overall, it looks like about 1% die. About 20% end up with psych issues. Large numbers end up with lasting health issues, some with lifetime disability.

I assume this is a mis-type, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it ought to be instead of 'psych'.

No, it is correct. The virus has a 1:5 chance of giving you brain damage and thus lasting "psychological" problems such as brain fog.

Ahh. That actually wouldn't be a psychological problem, it would be a neurological problem.

Ahh. That actually wouldn't be a psychological problem, it would be a neurological problem.

Nevertheless, the biggest problem with the virus in the USA is Trump's response early on.
Not the weather.
Not whether the brain damage qualifies as neurological or psychological.

It's the leadership(or lack thereof) that turned the virus into a far worse problem than it might have been. Because the only options we had at the first of the year would be "bad for the economy".
Tom

The point is, it wasn't a typo. And neurological problems end up as psychology problems; you're splitting hairs. Tom bailed it with his post: early response would mean one in five of thousands. Now it's one in five of millions. Most of us would have been willing to sacrifice a lot for a little while just to prevent this outbreak. If we had, we would have put a huge dent in the common cold and common flu as well, and those also do untold economic damage! And there were people that were talking about letting everyone just GET it?

This virus is going to with us for years, not months.

Coronaviruses in general have been with us for pretty much all of human history. They'll be with us of the foreseeable human future as well. This particular coronavirus will be with us... until it mutates pretty much. Same story as influenza and rhinovirus.

Is this a purposefully obtuse attempt to equivocate between a situation wherein there are occasional outbreaks, and one in which there is a massive global pandemic killing 1.1 million people in less than a year? Yes, COVID-19 was a coronavirus, just as the Spanish Flu was an influenza, but the existence of a class of illnesses does not negate the importance of responding to serious outbreaks.

The major outbreak worldwide, that included Australia, occurred in our autumn; We stamped the fucker out over winter, and then had to stomp a second wave in the runup to spring.

Insofar as seasons are relevant, they imply that we have done EVEN BETTER. You fought it during summer, and STILL failed.

The major outbreak worldwide, that included Australia, occurred in our autumn; We stamped the fucker out over winter, and then had to stomp a second wave in the runup to spring.

Insofar as seasons are relevant, they imply that we have done EVEN BETTER. You fought it during summer, and STILL failed.

With all due respect, you don't have winter.

With all due respect, you don't have winter.

^^ I was thinking this, too.

Although, he still right that America totally failed on this. Also.

Back
Top Bottom