• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

Let's remember that before Covid people died. There were deaths before there was Covid.

Ah, the good old days.

Indeed.

Yeah, I miss the days that people died from cancer at the age of 90 surrounded by their friends and family instead of alone (because transmissibility), via respiratory distress because there aren't enough ventilators.

Ten years may not seem like a lot, but it is everything in the world to those who really want to hear those stories before they are gone forever.

Given your ability to diagnose disease from a description given by a patient's relative, without having ever met, much less examined, the patient themselves, I can't help feeling that your time wasted on this discussion board could be far more usefully spent in assisting your local hospital, who surely have plenty of patients presenting with unusual symptoms that could benefit hugely from your skills.

Well, either that, or you're full of shit. Who can say?

That I'm not as gullible as you? I'm simply basing my interpretation as a former medical-malpractice attorney. Her presentation, complaints, treatment, and end are textbook misdiagnosed of visceral perforation or rupture. But hey, you're probably one of those who'd believe a gunshot to the head is a Covid death.

So in your medical malpractice cases you took to court, was your argument "In my experience as a lawyer, this case was misdiagnosed."? Because that's what you are doing here. I'm sure the court would take your argument seriously. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I miss the days that people died from cancer at the age of 90 surrounded by their friends and family instead of alone (because transmissibility), via respiratory distress because there aren't enough ventilators.
Or simply dying alone because of visitor restrictions. While I'm sure that palliative care allows exceptions, it probably doesn't include many people (more than a couple?). When my Dad passed from cancer, the CDC just enacted the Covid-19 protocol for hospital visitors, and the number of allowed visitors after 8 PM was approximately zero.

My Dad's last night, he likely had no idea it was his last night, but for me and my mother, we were there with him. Something that, while etched in my brain with glass shards, is something I needed to be there for. Covid-19 has effectively made it impossible for loved ones to not be with their dying family members at the end.

I suppose we could call that the good ole days. But really, you need to be an asshole to say that. One would need to be a supreme asshole to mock the whole thing. And this is for anyone dying of anything in the care of hospitals or nursing homes.

My daughter just called to say that she's been quarantined in her dorm room until she can get tested and show negative results. Apparently multiple people on her floor of the dorm have tested positive and one is in the study group she has. She claims to always have a mask on but I am not certain that I believe her. She is right now going to get her test. And of course she'll need at least a second test because if she was infected today a test won't show anything for a few days after infection.

Obviously we hope she's clear.

In the meantime the plan had been for her to leave the dorms two weeks before Xmas and isolate at my mom's unoccupied house that's about 40 minutes away. I've been trying to get internet installed there so that she can do remote classes up until school closes for break. I can't tell you how hard it is to get internet set up with call wait volumes and the totally useless Verizon/fios website*. I just spent 3 hours on hold to "authenticate" the gateway and was told that what I actually have to do is go over to my mom's house and re-plug in the power to the Verizon junk in the basement before I can do anything. So they will call me back Saturday when I can get over there and turn the power on. In total I've probably spent about 10 hours just trying to sign up for fios. A lot of it is their crappy website but a lot is the call wait times.

In the meantime, we wait to hear how my daughter's test goes.

* We have Verizon wireless cell service and the fios side of the Verizon site simply could not keep straight that I was trying to get fios and kept sending me back to the wireless phone upgrade page!!!

Also when I put in a service location separate from our billing address for cell service it would not get it's head around the idea that I might actually want fios at a physical location separate from my cell billing address. I had to call and actually create a separate account for cell and fios with separate bills.

My daughter just called to say that she's been quarantined in her dorm room until she can get tested and show negative results. Apparently multiple people on her floor of the dorm have tested positive and one is in the study group she has. She claims to always have a mask on but I am not certain that I believe her. She is right now going to get her test. And of course she'll need at least a second test because if she was infected today a test won't show anything for a few days after infection.

In the meantime the plan had been for her to leave the dorms two weeks before Xmas and isolate at my mom's unoccupied house that's about 40 minutes away. I've been trying to get internet installed there so that she can do remote classes up until school closes for break. I can't tell you how hard it is to get internet set up with call wait volumes and the totally useless Verizon/fios website*. I just spent 3 hours on hold to "authenticate" the gateway and was told that what I actually have to do is go over to my mom's house and re-plug in the power to the Verizon junk in the basement before I can do anything. So they will call me back Saturday when I can get over there and turn the power on. In total I've probably spent about 10 hours just trying to sign up for fios. A lot of it is their crappy website but a lot is the call wait times.

* We have Verizon wireless cell service and the fios side of the Verizon site simply could not keep straight that I was trying to get fios and kept sending me back to the wireless phone upgrade page!!!

Also when I put in a service location separate from our billing address for cell service it would not get it's head around the idea that I might actually want fios at a physical location separate from my cell billing address. I had to call and actually create a separate account for cell and fios with separate bills.
My cousin and her friends were all positive a bit ago. College kids gotta college kids.

Oh the other side, can she use her cell phone to create a local WIfi network over cellular at the home? I have no idea how practical that'd be or whether that'll even be necessary by the time she gets there.

Huh? Did she die of Covid, or is she a person who happened to test positive for Covid when she died?

Her presentation to the hospital is not consistent with Covid, neither was her treatment. There's more going on here. Medicare does pay/compensate hospitals more for Covid. Methinks the reported Covid deaths might be inflated.

No, it sounds just like covid. Take the denier glasses off.

How? She goes to the hospital for stomach cramps, not fever, cough, or respiratory illness. They send her home. She gets worse (presumably stomach cramps) and returns. She gets iron and blood transfusions - why would they do that for a respiratory infection? More likely she had internal bleeding (hence the need for iron). Having handled medical malpractice cases, this has the elements of misdiagnosis of some sort of internal perforation or rupture. Common that the patient presents to the ER, feels better. Goes home and then collapses.

All the symptoms described are consistent with covid, including iron deficiency, and especially needing oxygen. Your ignorance/denial of covid is not an argument.

Without more info, none of us can know for sure what she died of, it's deluded of you claim to know it wasn't covid.

My cousin and her friends were all positive a bit ago. College kids gotta college kids.

Oh the other side, can she use her cell phone to create a local WIfi network over cellular at the home? I have no idea how practical that'd be or whether that'll even be necessary by the time she gets there.

At best she can get only 2 bars of signal on her phone to hot spot to her notebook. From what I can tell Zoom is a bandwidth hog. She tried over Thanksgiving and it didn't work well enough to do classes. We do go there from time to time and don't mind the about $500 per year to have internet on. We have to keep everything else on anyway because with hot water baseboard heat, the house needs to either be on or totally shut down for the winter. Of course at one point when Massachusetts cases were low we had high hopes of getting my mom back to her old house for Christmas and all of us staying there. Those plans are out the window.

How? She goes to the hospital for stomach cramps, not fever, cough, or respiratory illness. They send her home. She gets worse (presumably stomach cramps) and returns. She gets iron and blood transfusions - why would they do that for a respiratory infection? More likely she had internal bleeding (hence the need for iron). Having handled medical malpractice cases, this has the elements of misdiagnosis of some sort of internal perforation or rupture. Common that the patient presents to the ER, feels better. Goes home and then collapses.

All the symptoms described are consistent with covid, including iron deficiency, and especially needing oxygen. Your ignorance/denial of covid is not an argument.

Without more info, none of us can know for sure what she died of, it's deluded of you claim to know it wasn't covid.

Symptoms of covid per the Mayo clinic:

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may appear two to 14 days after exposure. This time after exposure and before having symptoms is called the incubation period. Common signs and symptoms can include:

Fever
Cough
Tiredness
Early symptoms of COVID-19 may include a loss of taste or smell.

Other symptoms can include:

Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Muscle aches
Chills
Sore throat
Runny nose
Headache
Chest pain
Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
This list is not all inclusive. Other less common symptoms have been reported, such as rash, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Children have similar symptoms to adults and generally have mild illness.

Symptoms of covid per the Mayo clinic:

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may appear two to 14 days after exposure. This time after exposure and before having symptoms is called the incubation period. Common signs and symptoms can include:

Fever
Cough
Tiredness
Early symptoms of COVID-19 may include a loss of taste or smell.

Other symptoms can include:

Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Muscle aches
Chills
Sore throat
Runny nose
Headache
Chest pain
Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
This list is not all inclusive. Other less common symptoms have been reported, such as rash, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Children have similar symptoms to adults and generally have mild illness.

Also, if anything feels funny or hurts, you're probably gonna die.
Glad I could contribute here! :)

They pushed getting results back on my daughter's c19 test to the head of the pack I guess because of the circumstances. It took 4 hours to get her results instead of 48 hours!!

Negative! But it was only monday that she may have been exposed so she has to isolate in her dorm room and they will deliver food. There is one bathroom stall reserved only for her. She takes a followup test Saturday.

I'll admit her university seems to have their shit together.

They pushed getting results back on my daughter's c19 test to the head of the pack I guess because of the circumstances. It took 4 hours to get her results instead of 48 hours!!

Negative! But it was only monday that she may have been exposed so she has to isolate in her dorm room and they will deliver food. There is one bathroom stall reserved only for her. She takes a followup test Saturday.

Well, apart from her, obviously. She has to have her shit alone.

Some guy dragged it into work via his girlfriend. Now I have what may either be food poisoning or coronavirus, and have ended up with a swab up my nose TWICE today, the worst part being I did it to myself on round 2... Oh the joys of working for a bioassay company.

They wanted me to come in anyway and submit a sample so they can dial in and confirm QC on their CLIA lab process on the same day as I got an outside PCR for comparison...

I'm sick of every sore throat (drier air now) and scratchy throat (it happens) making me worry about having contracted Covid-19. And again, not because I fear for my health, but the pain in the ass it becomes in the household.

That's about as good as you can hope for at the moment.

I'm sick of every sore throat (drier air now) and scratchy throat (it happens) making me worry about having contracted Covid-19. And again, not because I fear for my health, but the pain in the ass it becomes in the household.

Oh, I know! I ran a low fever for a few hours last week, and it would barely have been a distraction except that... COVID???!? feeling.

I've had two dreams so far, perhaps nightmares, that I'm in the grocery store and somehow I don't have my mask. And so I have to leave and go find another mask in the car. Of course dreams are mucked up and get more complicated but I think it says something that I have nightmares about not having my mask.

Also if the kids have something on the TV and I see a pile of people with out masks my first fleeting reaction is "where are their masks!" even when the show may be 10 years old. They might be watching something like the Big Bang Theory and I'm where are their masks!

I have the feeling that even though we may be out of most of this by the end of 2021 there will be these lasting effects.

My employer organized a covid testing this week for office employees and their family. About 20 people tested, not one person positive for covid, NOT ONE !

Back
Top Bottom