• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Sogen Kato was believed to be the oldest man in Tokyo up until 2010 when officials finally entered his apartment and realized that he had died at the age of 79 in 1978. His death had been kept a secret by his family who were collecting his pension. This lead to a huge search for all people over 100 years, and it turned out that Japan couldn't document the whereabouts of 234,354 supposed centenarians.

Link here.

Sogen Kato was believed to be the oldest man in Tokyo up until 2010 when officials finally entered his apartment and realized that he had died at the age of 79 in 1978. His death had been kept a secret by his family who were collecting his pension. This lead to a huge search for all people over 100 years, and it turned out that Japan couldn't document the whereabouts of 234,354 supposed centenarians.

Link here.

And many of these cases were exposed when the people illegally collecting the pension died.

Strange coincidence.

Trapped in the house yesterday by incessant rain, I watched “Free Solo”, a Nat Geo documentary about an attempt to climb El Capitan without the use of ropes, harnesses, or other protective gear. Quite riveting. The climber’s strength, flexibility, and technique were incredible.

At its conclusion, I changed channels and found Star Trek V, which I had only seen parts of. The opening scene: a ridiculous James T. Kirk attempting to, of all things, free solo El Capitan. The man probably couldn’t manage three pull-ups. He fell, but was saved by Spock, as usual.

Strange coincidence.

Trapped in the house yesterday by incessant rain, I watched “Free Solo”, a Nat Geo documentary about an attempt to climb El Capitan without the use of ropes, harnesses, or other protective gear. Quite riveting. The climber’s strength, flexibility, and technique were incredible.

You'll also like The Dawn Wall. It's about Tommy, who we meet in Free Solo, and who mentored Alex.

Tommy also climbs El Cap, and is also impossibly talented.

Jimmy Chin features in both movies as a photographer. In Meru, he is both climber and photographer.

Strange coincidence.

You'll also like The Dawn Wall. It's about Tommy, who we meet in Free Solo, and who mentored Alex.

Tommy also climbs El Cap, and is also impossibly talented.

Jimmy Chin features in both movies as a photographer. In Meru, he is both climber and photographer.

I watched Meru a few months ago. Chin is a very good filmmaker. I’ll look for The Dawn Wall, thanks.

Someone asked how I spent my weekend.
I said we found a Ouija board in one of the first garage sales of the season and played with it Saturday and Sunday.

He looked a little uncomfortable, but also curious. Asked, "Did you get any answers?"
I shrugged. "We got something, but it turns out, it was an Italian Ouija board, and none of us speak the language. So I dunno what the answers meant."
"Oh, too bad," he commiserated, then walked off. Got about 10 feet away before stopping. "Wait..."

Someone asked how I spent my weekend.
I said we found a Ouija board in one of the first garage sales of the season and played with it Saturday and Sunday.

He looked a little uncomfortable, but also curious. Asked, "Did you get any answers?"
I shrugged. "We got something, but it turns out, it was an Italian Ouija board, and none of us speak the language. So I dunno what the answers meant."
"Oh, too bad," he commiserated, then walked off. Got about 10 feet away before stopping. "Wait..."

I don't suppose he suggested Google Translate?

National Taffy Day is coming up.
I will be out of town that day, so I was forced, simply FORCED to celebrate early.

Five pounds of salt-water taffy in individual pieces, separated into 5-piece servings, will take 67 snack-sized Ziploc bags to distribute to about 40 coworkers and bystanders.

Cool thing about walking through the office these days, is the number of people wearing headphones who don't hear other coworkers exclaim in surprise at my dinosaur costume, riding my t-rex around the office delivering unit-dose candy.

At least no one challenges me on "Is that a real holiday?" any more.

National Taffy Day is coming up.
I will be out of town that day, so I was forced, simply FORCED to celebrate early.

Five pounds of salt-water taffy in individual pieces, separated into 5-piece servings, will take 67 snack-sized Ziploc bags to distribute to about 40 coworkers and bystanders.

Cool thing about walking through the office these days, is the number of people wearing headphones who don't hear other coworkers exclaim in surprise at my dinosaur costume, riding my t-rex around the office delivering unit-dose candy.

At least no one challenges me on "Is that a real holiday?" any more.

Everyone knows it's May 23rd.
Unfortunately, many fewer are aware that it is also National Stop the Bleed Day.

STB page.JPG

Some moulage would go well with that Dino costume... and think how good you'll feel about yourself! :)

... and think how good you'll feel about yourself! :)

...how good i'll feel about myself...

You know, RIGHT before I surfed back into this site, I was trying to decide whether, next time, to hand out whistled or those metal cricket-clicking thingys. If I go quickly, I can hope to get at least 20 coworkers at a time experimentally tooting or clicking around the room until the more high-strung among us fucking lose their shit.
This is the sort of accomplishment that would make me feel good about myself, really.

I'd have thought that was obvious by now...

You know, RIGHT before I surfed back into this site, I was trying to decide whether, next time, to hand out whistled or those metal cricket-clicking thingys. If I go quickly, I can hope to get at least 20 coworkers at a time experimentally tooting or clicking around the room until the more high-strung among us fucking lose their shit.
This is the sort of accomplishment that would make me feel good about myself, really.

Kazoos.

Kazoos.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

A thread elsewhere on here talked about a woman going off half-cocked.

Is that the female equivalent of premature ejaculation? :)

Where i work, they sometimes have meetings that will occur during the lunch hour, but food is not provided. They call them brown-bag sessions, bring your own lunch. I have had to explain to coworkers that back in the Dark Ages, stores would give you free brown paper lunch boxes with every purchase.

Where my youngest son works, they are doing something like this for the first time. But the meeting agenda says "11:00 - 12:30. Bring your own gnosh." Youngest, familiar with the word 'nosh,' reads it as 'bring your own lunch, with a gratuitous g for gno good reason.

The rest of his office knows gnot the term nosh, and attempted to look up gnosh on the internet. They found descriptions of 'ganache' and have convinced themselves that it's a dessert pot-luck. One is bringing a plate of brownies, another a cake...

Youngest insisted that it's nosh, but they show him websites of cakes and cookies and truffles. Google SAYS it's a dessert topping!

He tired of trying to explain why a yoga retreat and healing arts training facility would probably not schedule a sugar orgy during company-wide meetings, and just plans to go to Burger King that day....

Back
Top Bottom