• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

In Illegal Aliens,, scifi by Phil Foglio, there is a scene where UN officials end up talking to a New York city street gang thru an alien ship's universal translator. It mentions the device facing the arduous task of converting English to English.

Reminds me of a time at work where I had to translate between two people speaking English. One was a heavily accented Scot and the other a heavily accented Chinese. They could not understand each other, but I could ... so I translated between the two, since my accent is pretty neutral.

Reminds me of a time at work where I had to translate between two people speaking English. One was a heavily accented Scot and the other a heavily accented Chinese. They could not understand each other, but I could ... so I translated between the two, since my accent is pretty neutral.

My wife and I regularly have to turn on the captioning feature when watching any show we get through Brit TV. If captioning is not available, it takes both of us to try to figure out what is being said.

My wife and I regularly have to turn on the captioning feature when watching any show we get through Brit TV. If captioning is not available, it takes both of us to try to figure out what is being said.

Yeah, those freakin brits right? Why the deuce can't they just learn to speak American like everybody else.

Um...I meant hell, not deuce.

In Illegal Aliens,, scifi by Phil Foglio, there is a scene where UN officials end up talking to a New York city street gang thru an alien ship's universal translator. It mentions the device facing the arduous task of converting English to English.

On the tender in Scotland, i angered two supply chiefs at the same time. Both started yelling at me.
One was from Macon, Georgia.
The other was from the Phillipines.
I knew i was right, so i did not react with fear to either, so both of them assumed the other guy was shouting in my defense. They rounded on each other, having an agreement at the top of their lungs, almost coming to fisticuffs. I walked away and finished the job they thought i had messed up.

Yeah, those freakin brits right? Why the deuce can't they just learn to speak American like everybody else.

I readily admit that in our 60's now, our hearing is not what it once was. We find ourselves turning up the TV when then heater kicks in too.

I readily admit that in our 60's now, our hearing is not what it once was. We find ourselves turning up the TV when then heater kicks in too.

I hope you don't think I was being critical of you. I was actually trying to sound like a typical American simpleton. You know, the kind of person bilby is always talking about. You know, like me for example. :)

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/GP_K5czbny4[/YOUTUBE]

"I have in my hand right here, sworn affidavits FROM FIVE HUNDRED JETS FANS who swear they witnessed the Jets win. "

"There's eight million Jets fans out there. They have nothing to gain by lying about this."

"I have in my hand right here, sworn affidavits FROM FIVE HUNDRED JETS FANS who swear they witnessed the Jets win. "

"There's eight million Jets fans out there. They have nothing to gain by lying about this."

Let's not jump to supernatural conclusions about what actually happened. I mean the most likely occurrence was that the other team lost....after that the story becomes legend.
This is an atheist web site, you should know this....

Let's not jump to supernatural conclusions about what actually happened. I mean the most likely occurrence was that the other team lost...

Yeah and there was probably money involved.

Met my wife today.
Weekly shopping. Had to get body soap for the upstairs shower.
A woman was going thru all the men soaps. Old Spice, Axe, stuff on those shelves. I waited a bit, but she didn't look anywhere near a decision, so i reached over her head and grabbed my brand.
She saw, looked at it, asked, 'Why do you use that brand? What does it smell like?'
'I dunno,' i admitted. 'But the bottle feels like something i'd carry in my pack for an expedition.'

She stared at me. 'Did i marry you?'
'Um... You're not tall enough.'
She laughed, she took one of my brand, we separated

Homophobic preacher gets blocked by bagpipes.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/JwLaDzKFiBY[/YOUTUBE]

Start it up real slow and quiet, then increase volume and tempo... once again, putting the "fun" back in "funeral" :
...and pause between refrains.
"(Pop goes the weasel)." Stops, looks over at casket.... plays again, faster and louder.... stops, looks over at casket....plays zgain....

Back
Top Bottom