• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I had the same thought. Phones used to be .3 - 3.4kHz.

Standard telephony still is, although many carriers now provide 'wideband audio', which ranges from 0.05 - 7kHz, although that is still far lower than typical dog whistle frequencies which are typically above 23kHz, and can be up to the mid 50s.

That said, the standard and wideband ranges are minimum specifications, and real telephony often exceeds these limits - but if it doesn't, you have no recourse as a consumer.

I did a quick google, and found this; the colourful graphic in the third answer on that page shows that the phone mic under test was quite happy up to 21kHz, which was the highest frequency tested; how much higher you could go, and whether these very high frequencies would be effectively passed by the network, is hard to say, but Keith's anecdote certainly suggests that they might be.

I don't know if they're hearing the whistle, or if one or the other phone just gives up and bursts some static, but something i'm doing is annoying the poopies out of the puppies.

We are doing daily exit slips for maths at the moment with the purpose of grouping the students for intensive lessons the following week.

This week we are learning the various methods of mental computation. Todays math question, based on the jump strategy was:

I planted 65 bulbs. 47 of them grew. How many did not grow?

One of the children did it very well... and told me that 18 of the lights did not grow!

Well I found it funny...

I don't know if they're hearing the whistle, or if one or the other phone just gives up and bursts some static, but something i'm doing is annoying the poopies out of the puppies.

I love the story. It just awoke the pedant in me. I think the static theory might be good.

Two hillbillies walk into a restaurant. While having a bite to eat, they talk about their moonshine operation. Suddenly, a woman at a nearby table, who is eating a sandwich, begins to cough.

After a minute or so, it becomes apparent that she is in real distress. One of the hillbillies looks at her and says, "Kin ya swallar?" The woman shakes her head no. Then he asks, "Kin ya breathe?" The woman begins to turn blue, and shakes her head no.

The hillbilly walks over to the woman, lifts up her dress, yanks down her drawers, and quickly gives her right butt cheek a lick with his tongue.
The woman is so shocked that she has a violent spasm, and the obstruction flies out of her mouth.

As she begins to breathe again, the Hillbilly walks slowly back to his table. His brother said, "Ya know, I'd heerd of that there Hind Lick Maneuver but I ain't niver seed nobody do it!"

I ran into a friend of mine today. He was wearing a t-shirt, "I May Be Old, But At Least I Got To See All The Great Bands."

I was thinking of that shirt when i drove home. Because the radio announcer says that Miley Cyrus wants to have a concert where she's naked. And all the fans are naked through the concert.
Somehow, it seems to me that wearing the "I was naked at the Miley concert" t-shirt probably resembles Turning State's Evidence.

History repeats itself.

Several times, i've made a smart-aleck remark, all innocent-like, and it has turned around to bite me in the ass.

Now i have cursed one of my children

About 25 years ago, we were stationed in Virginia Beach, there were race riots, and i tell the story of my Senior Chief asking if i'd been involved. Well, we're an interracial couple, so i told him we went, but couldn't decide which side to join, so we looted a candy store and went home.

Right now, people at my son's college are asking him to support BlackLives Matter or All Lives Matter. Not feeling terribly attracted to either side, he made a joke about starting a group, The Black Plagues Matter (inspired by what they're studying in one of his classes).

A day later, someone set a printer to producing 400 sheets extolling the importance of BPM. All fingers point at my son. Who swears he may have invented it, but he never made the pamphlets. I told him to highlight all the grammatical errors and spelling errors and see if he can get his teachers to agree it wasn't him (he is SUCH a fuss-budget). Fingers crossed.

I told him to highlight all the grammatical errors and spelling errors and see if he can get his teachers to agree it wasn't him.

Close enough.
Someone accused him of the pamphlets, he said, "I didn't do it, but if I did, I hope I wouldn't misspell 'plague.'"
A classmate nearby shouted, "The fuck I did!"

This picture:

Gagc2xc.jpg

Above: picture of a guy in a t-shirt that reads "Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do."

Made me think of this quote:

"The ancient oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing."
--Socrates

I told him to highlight all the grammatical errors and spelling errors and see if he can get his teachers to agree it wasn't him.

Close enough.
Someone accused him of the pamphlets, he said, "I didn't do it, but if I did, I hope I wouldn't misspell 'plague.'"
A classmate nearby shouted, "The fuck I did!"

What a god damned idiot that classmate.

A kid in my class was seen peeing on the wall.

He claimed it happened because his willy was stuck to his leg. He was apparently facing the trough but was standing 5 feet away from it, and the pee ended up on the wall behind him and nearly 4 feet up the wall..

The kid is 9.

He claimed it happened because his willy was stuck to his leg. He was apparently facing the trough but was standing 5 feet away from it, and the pee ended up on the wall behind him and nearly 4 feet up the wall..

The kid is 9.

I'm impressed! :D

The kid is 9.

I'm impressed! :D

So was the male deputy principal. He wishes he could do that.

A friend of mine who suffered through learning Latin at school, and is now into amateur dramatics, posted this on Facebook:

Hoc mirum est;
Tempore labilis est;
Insaniam sumit theloneo.
Sed audi arte,
Non multo amplius
Oportet me servo sub potestate

Ego memini faciendo Tempore Distorsio,
Biberent momentis quando
Nigrum in mihi
Et vacuum at vocaret:
"Nunc faciamus iterum Tempore Distorsio!"

Est modo salire ad sinistram,
Et a gradu ad dexteram.
Ponetque te manum super te coxis,
Simul et offeretis in genubus,

Sed hoc est in coxarum falcem
Quod causat insanu
Nunc faciamus iterum Tempore Distorsio!

A friend of mine who suffered through learning Latin at school, and is now into amateur dramatics, posted this on Facebook:

Hoc mirum est;
Tempore labilis est;
Insaniam sumit theloneo.
Sed audi arte,
Non multo amplius
Oportet me servo sub potestate

Ego memini faciendo Tempore Distorsio,
Biberent momentis quando
Nigrum in mihi
Et vacuum at vocaret:
"Nunc faciamus iterum Tempore Distorsio!"

Est modo salire ad sinistram,
Et a gradu ad dexteram.
Ponetque te manum super te coxis,
Simul et offeretis in genubus,

Sed hoc est in coxarum falcem
Quod causat insanu
Nunc faciamus iterum Tempore Distorsio!

This requires a bit of setup.

Last night, Guild Wars 2 had a little server disaster in which no one could log in and play the game. In discussing the broken state of the game, one of the developers posted a link to this video:

(Note: above video was supposed to start at the +8 second mark, not that it matters much.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuKq6iQQMs&t=8s

Back
Top Bottom