• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump in One-on-One Debates?

Tulsi is a hottie.

That really is all the low-information voter knows about her.

That's very unfortunate. Her platform is very deep and thoughtful. Her primary positions can be boiled down to four key issues:
1. She's against US military foreign excursions.
2. She's anti foreign US excursions by the US military.
3. She's pro military forces from the US not getting involved in overseas operations.
4. She's anti transporting US forces to overseas areas where Americans do not belong.

She's very deep!

Tulsi is a hottie.

That really is all the low-information voter knows about her.

That's very unfortunate. Her platform is very deep and thoughtful. Her primary positions can be boiled down to four key issues:
3. She's pro military forces from the US not getting involved in overseas operations.
4. She's anti transporting US forces to overseas areas where Americans do not belong.

She's very deep!

That is definitely Tulsi's talking points and why I think she would have been Trump's greatest nightmare if she had gotten the nomination. Those talking points are also made by both Bernie and were Trump's during the 2016 campaign. It is partly why Trump won as Hillary was more hawkish. She is a slick politician so sticks to these because they are widely accepted by many on both sides of the political divide. Even when questioned in interviews on other matters, she skirts the question and expands on these talking points.

I think her error was that she was making her primary campaign as though it was a general election campaign. In the Democrat primary, the voters wanted to hear about proposed social programs and economic policy. I have to assume (though she avoids saying) that her positions on those matters are close to Bernie's since she resigned her position as vice-chair of the DNC to support Bernie in the 2016 campaign. However, if she had expressed such a position to gain the Democrat nomination it would have hurt her during the general election.

She's very deep!

That is definitely Tulsi's talking points and why I think she would have been Trump's greatest nightmare if she had gotten the nomination. Those talking points are also made by both Bernie and were Trump's during the 2016 campaign. It is partly why Trump won as Hillary was more hawkish. She is a slick politician so sticks to these because they are widely accepted by many on both sides of the political divide. Even when questioned in interviews on other matters, she skirts the question and expands on these talking points.

I think her error was that she was making her primary campaign as though it was a general election campaign. In the Democrat primary, the voters wanted to hear about proposed social programs and economic policy. I have to assume (though she avoids saying) that her positions on those matters are close to Bernie's since she resigned her position as vice-chair of the DNC to support Bernie in the 2016 campaign. However, if she had expressed such a position to gain the Democrat nomination it would have hurt her during the general election.

I'm not anti Tulsi (although I think that some of her positions regarding Russia and Syria are troubling). But I just think that we need someone who is deeper. She appears to have no care regarding the economy, rights, the environment, access to health care, access to college, and etc. Sure she'd fuck over the Kurds just like Trump did, I want someone capable of more.

She's very deep!

I'm not anti Tulsi (although I think that some of her positions regarding Russia and Syria are troubling). But I just think that we need someone who is deeper. She appears to have no care regarding the economy, rights, the environment, access to health care, access to college, and etc. Sure she'd fuck over the Kurds just like Trump did, I want someone capable of more.
I am neither pro nor anti Tulsi. She hasn't revealed enough about her positions on too many matters for me to make any evaluation. I just made the observation that her calm manner, her ease at deflecting probing questions, and the very few positions she has stated would likely give Trump serious problems in debates.

I think not.

If there's one facet of humanity still functioning in the semi-sentient blob of protoplasm called Donald Trump, it's the instinct for self-preservation.
The next Dem nominee is not going to get shocked into submission by him gooning over their shoulder in a debate, is not going to be shouted into silence by his screams of "NO PUPPET NO PUPPET, YOU'RE THE PUPPET!" and isn't going to hesitate to produce facts and sources to forcibly call him a liar in real time. This time Trump has a voluminous track record of corruption, broken empty promises and outright fuckups to throw in his face, and I'm pretty sure that even in the depth of his delusion, his survival instinct will warn him of the danger of facing even the weakest possible Dem candidate in a one-on-one environment with no Hannity, Limbaugh or McTurtle to protect him.

I expect he will publicly deem debates to be beneath him, because "everybody knows that ____________ is a lying commie and debates are rigged blah blah blah" and therefore decline to participate, setting a new shining example for incumbent presidents, to the cheers of his 22% base.

What do y'all think?

Four years ago you posted a thread predicting that Trump would chicken out of debates with Hillary. Now you think he will chicken out of whoever the upcoming candidate will be.

I think your past performance on this speaks for itself.

You see a pattern there? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think it is far more likely that the Democratic Party doesn't want Biden to debate Trump. Biden's cognitive decline is accelerating.

I think it is far more likely that the Democratic Party doesn't want Biden to debate Trump. Biden's cognitive decline is accelerating.

I believe that you really think that, as the evidence shows your consumption of right wing talking points exceeds the level of your informedness. That any acceleration of Trump's mental decline is virtually impossible, does not render Sleepy Joe any less acute.

Trump, much more than Reagan, is the ultimate Teflon President (although, to be fair, Reagan came to a less partisan Washington; politics are just unbelievably tribal now.) Nothing he does or says can ever estrange him from the 33 or 34% of his core, rabid base, so victory means adding on another 15% of the disaffected or gullible 'independents' and suppressing the Dem vote.
Trump will be happy to debate. He fears nothing. He tackles all the 'gotcha' questions from reporters fearlessly, doesn't he? The carny who has been on the road for enough years has the bullshit ready before the question is done. In Trump's mind, all you need to weather the storm is a schoolyard epithet for your opponent, a claim that the press is nothing but lies, and the claim that Obama left him with a terrible mess to undo. Always, always count on the fact that your prospective voter hates to read, doesn't know what critical thinking is, and likes it when you bully the 'bad guys' with coarse language and complete disrespect. Trump has tapped into an unfortunate preference for degeneracy over culture and diplomacy.

He tackles all the 'gotcha' questions from reporters fearlessly, doesn't he?

Uuuuh no.
Not sure if you were being facetious.
When reporters ask him questions he doesn't like he shouts them down.
Reporter: "What do you think about X?"
PINO: "I think you're a terrible reporter"
Reporter: "I was asking if - "
PINO: "YOU'RE FAKE NEWS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!"

It has been the same ever since ""No puppet no puppet YOU'RE the puppet!"
Hopefully someone less inclined to confer niceties upon the gluttonous orange blob will hit back and force the issue.
If Hillary had done that she would be President.

Not true. Only men are celebrated for being shrill, egotistic, assholes who talk over others and belittle their enemies in public. Women who do the same are called bitches, and presented as a grave threat to social wellbeing.

Uuuuh no.

We are actually saying the same thing. If you know that you can brush aside all questions with damaging implications through a combination of insults, lies, blame shifting, or ridiculous "alternate facts" without losing a shred of your popularity with your acolytes, then you truly have no fear of the press. Trump is a practiced and very seasoned liar with complete faith in lying. That faith has been tested and found to be justified. Birtherism showed him he could lie fearlessly, repeatedly, without a scintilla of fact to his statements, and that by doing so, he'd be embraced by enough Trumpanzees to start a movement. What you see at the mic is a fearless idiot with a commanding voice in his consc--- strike that, a voice in his head: "Walk, Donald, walk toward the lies!!"

Uuuuh no.

We are actually saying the same thing. If you know that you can brush aside all questions with damaging implications through a combination of insults, lies, blame shifting, or ridiculous "alternate facts" without losing a shred of your popularity with your acolytes, then you truly have no fear of the press. Trump is a practiced and very seasoned liar with complete faith in lying. That faith has been tested and found to be justified. Birtherism showed him he could lie fearlessly, repeatedly, without a scintilla of fact to his statements, and that by doing so, he'd be embraced by enough Trumpanzees to start a movement. What you see at the mic is a fearless idiot with a commanding voice in his consc--- strike that, a voice in his head: "Walk, Donald, walk toward the lies!!"

Superficially, yes. And that's probably enough for his existing base. But didn't we already know that none of the teaplorables were going to abandon him? It's the Hillary Haters who never liked him that I'd be focusing on.
When Hillary called him a puppet he was quite visibly and audibly shaken. I don't know what went wrong in Hillary's brain at that moment, but I am certain that if that kind of reaction can be provoked in public again, the outcome could be vastly different.

Well, then we disagree. I just watched the 'puppet' moment on YouTube, and it's just as I remembered: a second after she uses the word puppet, he cuts in to say "No puppet, no puppet. You're the puppet!" I don't see or hear unease in the man. He's on autopilot with his bullshit, and of course he accepts no criticism of himself whatsoever. This is a guy who assigns himself a ten or an A+ in every endeavor. He's a very stable genius. He knows more than the generals, than most economists, than all the CPAs in the world. His wisdom is 'great and matchless.' His instincts are golden. Hillary? He can deflect her criticisms in one sentence. Remember, Trump told off the Pope in '16!
Where you and I might agree is how the so-called independent voters will decide, but I have found their stats to be utterly mysterious for the past three years. In my state, Trump is currently neck and neck with Joe B., but we're of course 7 months out, in the most volatile of years. Just maybe the Dem defectors of 2016 will come back in sufficient numbers to save us from a second Trump presidency.

Well, then we disagree. I just watched the 'puppet' moment on YouTube, and it's just as I remembered: a second after she uses the word puppet, he cuts in to say "No puppet, no puppet. You're the puppet!" I don't see or hear unease in the man.

REALLY??? I saw it live, I saw the reruns... he was terrified, I would bet my life on it. Maybe you had to be watching the entire debate. He panicked when he heard that and "broke in" loudly, quickly and WAY too emphatically. Up to then he had only been interrupting with a few syllables here and there "that makes me smart" (evading taxes) and was very glib and relaxed about it. But the puppet reference - to my dying day I don't know why Hillary didn't just turn to the moderators and ask them to shut him up, then go on about Trump's puppethood and why it was a very baaaaad thing. She acted scared off the subject, or hastened off it by her scripted response.

Not true. Only men are celebrated for being shrill, egotistic, assholes who talk over others and belittle their enemies in public. Women who do the same are called bitches, and presented as a grave threat to social wellbeing.
Yep, it is a tough double standard. Though during the debates, I think HRC could have gotten away with turning towards her stalker and work on stifling a laugh/chuckle, and say some trifle about being amused at having a follower. Clownstick's head would have been exploding at least internally...

I believe that you really think that, as the evidence shows your consumption of right wing talking points exceeds the level of your informedness. That any acceleration of Trump's mental decline is virtually impossible, does not render Sleepy Joe any less acute.

Right Wing
adjective
Used to describe anything Elixir doesn't like, no matter what the origin or wing it comes from.

Right Wing
adjective
Used to describe anything Elixir doesn't like, no matter what the origin or wing it comes from.

Stupid: adj.
Without rational merit or intelligence.
e.g. "Countering a rational point by re-defining words used to make that point is stupid."

Back
Top Bottom