• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump tweats new conspiracy theory

Meanwhile in, are you fucking kidding me land:
Sean Spicer 3-13-17 said:
The President used the word wiretaps in quotes to mean, broadly, surveillance and other activities.
Notice that, "in quotes" thing. That apparently means, and I was unaware of this use of quotation marks, that it was just a generalization and meant something a bit more broad.

When I was in school, when I wrote a paper, I was taught that you used quotes to "quote" a source, quite literally.

And then this brings us to the other thing, the source. I mentioned it up above. You quote "a source".

Trump's fucking tweet said:
Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!
Trump found out. And then quoted "wires tapped". Which implies that there is a specific source for the information that used the term "wires tapped".

Jebus! Trump isn't just making a mockery of our nation and democracy, he is turning his aim at grammar now.

This is McCarthyism!
McCarthyism: a process of government official(s) bullying anyone who they dislike through unsupported accusations and abuse of the official(s)'s authority?

Yeah, guess Trump got ONE right...

but there were no quote marks when he said
tapping my phones in October.

People use quotes in this forum on all sorts of topics. Sometimes people called them "scare quotes" for some reason. If someone could explain that usage to me it's probably exactly what Trump is trying to do. I always use them as a way to indicate that whatever is in the quotes is wrongly or too vaguely defined. But in the Trump case that would imply that he was questioning the veracity of whatever source he is claiming to have found, which is clearly not the intent. I'm just guessing, but maybe the idea behind scare quotes is to dare someone to question the truth behind what he's claiming by making it that much more difficult to quote him. You'd need to put quotes around his scare quotes as with ""tapping my phones"". All this is way too difficult for the average Trump supporter to deal with so they get to take him literally while every one else's objections are left in a state of disarray. He's playing cat-and-mouse with the media pundits. But he might not get away with it this time. This is serious shit.

Trump has not the brains or interest to figure out the nuances of proper quote usage. He probably just thinks quotations marks are for emphasis.

Notice that, "in quotes" thing. That apparently means, and I was unaware of this use of quotation marks, that it was just a generalization and meant something a bit more broad.

When I was in school, when I wrote a paper, I was taught that you used quotes to "quote" a source, quite literally.

And then this brings us to the other thing, the source. I mentioned it up above. You quote "a source".

Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!
Trump found out. And then quoted "wires tapped". Which implies that there is a specific source for the information that used the term "wires tapped".

Jebus! Trump isn't just making a mockery of our nation and democracy, he is turning his aim at grammar now.

There are several usages of quotation marks, i.e., more than two usages.

I have used them before for using a term in a special or approximate sense. I've just looked it up and found a source that confirms this usage is valid.
Use quotation marks around words and phrases to indicate a special sense of use. For example:
  • The motherboard is sometimes considered the "brain" of a computer.
  • I taught my puppy to wipe his "feet" when he enters the house.
http://www.brighthubeducation.com/e...our-ways-to-use-quotation-marks-when-writing/

I had used quotation marks in a similar way in this discussion forum. I did a search but could not find the posts so it must be in the archives. The reason I remember this so specifically is that I was accused by Metaphor of using "scare quotes," and I defended my usage with some different grammar website than above that I had googled at the time. But some time later I had seen Metaphor use quotation marks in a similar manner and I had my revenge by saying he was using scare quotes.

While I don't like defending Trump, it would be hypocritical of me to read your post and not comment on it.

But now regarding specifically what Trump wrote, Keith&Co points out another tweet where he uses the phrase "tapping my phones," which would appear to be a clarification. So, it seems like Trump had put quotes around "wire tapping" because the term itself is figurative and so approximate. In other words, they didn't tap his wires, but instead his phone according to Trump.

Don't see how the quotes "defense" defend anything, unless still if there is proof of any non-wire tapping surveillance. And it's bs that he didn't blame Obama personally.

Don't see how the quotes "defense" defend anything, unless still if there is proof of any non-wire tapping surveillance. And it's bs that he didn't blame Obama personally.

I think the goal is to broaden the meaning so much that they have a better chance of coming up with evidence or an argument. So if they can change the meaning of "wire tap" and they can make anyone in the Obama administration mean "Obama," then maybe they can come up with something. For example, if an agency went back to look at Guccifer 2.0's electronic records, they may get Roger Stone's tweets. Now, that could make it seem "Obama" "wire tapped" "Trump," at least to partisans and GOP officials.

People use quotes in this forum on all sorts of topics. Sometimes people called them "scare quotes" for some reason. If someone could explain that usage to me it's probably exactly what Trump is trying to do. .
You don't know what we mean by 'scare quotes,' but you think that's what His Flatulence is doing?

No.
'Scare Quotes' is when you mock a term, as in when you're having a conversation and you make Eagle Claw gestures to highlight a term, setting it apart in your speech to indicate a disassociation. Such as "because this is all part of (gesture) god's plan (stop doing gesture) for the poor."

In print, it would be, for example,
be careful, Treedbear, Or i will 'trigger word' you into submission.
assuming that you had tried to warn me that i'd used a trigger word in a post, and i wanted to mock your use of the term.

It doesn't really make sense to suggest that Trump was scare quoting. It look s more like he's read the term somewhere else and lifted it directly for his post.

Besides, Trump's version of scare quotes is CAPS LOCK! Unbelievable misuse of MCCARTHYISM!!!

There are several usages of quotation marks, i.e., more than two usages.

I have used them before for using a term in a special or approximate sense. I've just looked it up and found a source that confirms this usage is valid.
Use quotation marks around words and phrases to indicate a special sense of use. For example:
  • The motherboard is sometimes considered the "brain" of a computer.
  • I taught my puppy to wipe his "feet" when he enters the house.
http://www.brighthubeducation.com/e...our-ways-to-use-quotation-marks-when-writing/

I had used quotation marks in a similar way in this discussion forum. I did a search but could not find the posts so it must be in the archives. The reason I remember this so specifically is that I was accused by Metaphor of using "scare quotes," and I defended my usage with some different grammar website than above that I had googled at the time. But some time later I had seen Metaphor use quotation marks in a similar manner and I had my revenge by saying he was using scare quotes.

While I don't like defending Trump, it would be hypocritical of me to read your post and not comment on it.

But now regarding specifically what Trump wrote, Keith&Co points out another tweet where he uses the phrase "tapping my phones," which would appear to be a clarification. So, it seems like Trump had put quotes around "wire tapping" because the term itself is figurative and so approximate. In other words, they didn't tap his wires, but instead his phone according to Trump.
This is when we use context of what was written. If Trump was specifying a metaphor, it makes absolutely no sense that he Tweeted what he did. There is NO reasonable meaning of his Tweets other than to not only allege that Obama wiretapped him, but that Trump had the evidence in hand.

This is when we use context of what was written. If Trump was specifying a metaphor, it makes absolutely no sense that he Tweeted what he did. There is NO reasonable meaning of his Tweets other than to not only allege that Obama wiretapped him, but that Trump had the evidence in hand.

Rational people come to conclusions based on logic and evidence. Trump might be out of his mind.

This is McCarthyism!
McCarthyism: a process of government official(s) bullying anyone who they dislike through unsupported accusations and abuse of the official(s)'s authority? ...

Trump was tutored by the best:
Roy Marcus Cohn was an American attorney. During Senator Joseph McCarthy's investigations into Communist activity in the United States during the Second Red Scare, Cohn served as McCarthy's chief counsel and gained special prominence during the Army–McCarthy hearings.

He was also known for being a U.S. Department of Justice prosecutor at the espionage trial of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and later for representing Donald Trump during his early business career.
58fccc1de9c0bfc4b8bfe74e50286266.jpg
He's such a blatant hypocrite. But that's what Republican's seem to admire.

Attachments

• 584929084008bfe756a95eed79145fcc.jpg
    584929084008bfe756a95eed79145fcc.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
So... Cheato learned about the wiretaps six weeks earlier from the NYT - "dishonest media" as he calls it. But good enough for Cheato if it rings his paranoia bell. Then, someone asked Paul Ryan on the night before his famous tweet, 'do you know anything about any wiretapping <blah blah>". Nope.
But Cheato heard the dreaded word wiretap and it seems that was enough.
So he publicly accused a former President of the United States of a criminal act.

Impeachment proceedings would already be underway if Republicans had any spine whatsoever.

So when he says he just learned, he was lying about that too. This Admin is unbelievably full of shit. My grandchildren will say, 'Grandpa, he couldn't have been that full of shit.'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump isn't giving up on the claim. Says he has "a lot" of evidence that he will be "submitting ... before the committee very soon." (The quotes here mean he is actually being quoted. Go figure.)

I'm hoping that this will be, if not his total downfall, the end of any credibility he has with anyone who isn't just as crazy as him. He can't admit that he was wrong about anything so keeps digging the hole deeper. People aren't going to forget about his one.

Back
Top Bottom