• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Just had our first foray with a classic Italian tomato sauce from this cookbook.

It's a very simple recipe that people were raving about in the book's reviews - 2 lbs of Tomatoes (skinned, but not seeded, I think the book recommends plum tomatoes), 6 tablespoons of butter, salt to taste, and half an onion (unchopped). You simmer the tomatoes and butter with onion in place on a slow, steady simmer for 45 minutes. After the time's up you discard the onion and you've got your sauce.

We just poured it over spaghetti and baby shrimp, with parmesan and black pepper. It was a nice lunch.

Had a banana and coffee at 7 am, then later went off to a doctor appt, which turned out to be scheduled for tomorrow, not today. Doh! Went to the grocery store after that and was so hungry by the time I was done, I ended up eating two pears on the way home and then had a bowl of pasta salad and two microwave chimichangas and a mug of soy milk for lunch. Yuuuuuuge lunch.

I have had a nagging urge to eat an entire double chocolate cake all by myself. Chilled, so the frosting has the consistency of peanut butter.

No buttercream, no whipped cream. Those are both evil.

Had pineapple pancakes (with more coarsely chopped pineapple on the side), and turkey sausage for breakfast today.

Made a garlic/basil tomato sauce tonight and served it over whole wheat spaghetti. I thought I had a longer cooking time for the sauce so didn't get around to adding meat, but it was still satisfying.

My brother is working on the deck again today and Bilby is hauling chicken as usual so I have prepared a caloric dinner for them, and there will be leftovers, I am sure.

I have prepared devilled sausages- sausages par cooked, then put into an oven proof dish with sautéed onion, mushroom, cherry tomatoes and diced bacon, and a sauce of gravy, ketchup, balsamic vinegar and sugar.

I have also prepared what I call loaded smash potato, but my brother thinks is bubble and squeak. It’s smashed potato, with skins on, with bacon, peas and corn, all mixed together, put into another oven proof dish, and topped with a mature cheese, paprika and chives.

Both of these are placed in a moderate/medium oven for around 30 minutes or until hot and the cheese is melted!

A level, you could put the two in the same dish, sausages on the bottom and potato on top to create a sausage cottage/shepherds pie!

As I said, calorific!

The devilled sausages and loaded potatoes went down a treat, and there was enough for my brother, Mark, to take home two meals.

As I started reading post #147 I was curious as to "calorific." Then I figured it out. :)

My partner is a picky eater but I need a good vegetarian dish for her that includes a lot of vegetables. Something soupy that keeps in the fridge for better part of a week. It will be good for her mood and her health because even she admits she doesn't get enough vegetables in her diet.

So if you have any ideas feel free to share. I offered up a vegetable soup with broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, green beans and carrots but she wrinkled her nose.

Got any ideas?

So if you have any ideas feel free to share. I offered up a vegetable soup with broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, green beans and carrots but she wrinkled her nose.

Got any ideas?

That seems to lean pretty heavily on cruciferous vegetables. I'd suggest choosing one and then also adding something with carbs such as barley or potatoes or beans.

The devilled sausages and loaded potatoes went down a treat, and there was enough for my brother, Mark, to take home two meals.

As I started reading post #147 I was curious as to "calorific." Then I figured it out. :)

My partner is a picky eater but I need a good vegetarian dish for her that includes a lot of vegetables. Something soupy that keeps in the fridge for better part of a week. It will be good for her mood and her health because even she admits she doesn't get enough vegetables in her diet.

Got any ideas?
A good pumpkin soup with half pumpkin and half sweet potato, with a bit of mustard powder and cumin is pretty good.

It’s Sunday so it’s crackling with a side of roast pork.

It’s in the oven, and due to be turned down in about 5 minutes, if the crackling is ready, and it will slow cook for 2 hours on about 180 C. I will put the baby potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions in at around 75 minutes out.

Got any ideas?

I made this "Happy Making Chickpea Stew" and it was delicious, easy to make a double batch, refrigerated and made lunches for days, and I also froze in single servings and that reheated deliciously as well.

https://umamigirl.com/kale-chickpea-stew/

Today I am eating leftovers of

Kraft Mac& Cheese
with broccoli
and sausage-style vegetarian crumbles
and taco sauce

It was delicious!

Got any ideas?

I made this "Happy Making Chickpea Stew" and it was delicious, easy to make a double batch, refrigerated and made lunches for days, and I also froze in single servings and that reheated deliciously as well.

:shock: Totally making this in the next week or so. NOM.

Recently made this one as well (can you tell I am autumn harvesting in the garden?)

https://feedmephoebe.com/moroccan-red-lentil-soup-recipe-chard/
split red lentils are the bright orange ones in the Indian aisle

includes these things

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion diced
2 medium carrots diced
2 large cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup dried split red lentils
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 bunch chard stems removed, roughly chopped

That recipe calls for Lacinato kale which I've never heard of. It sounds tastier than regular curly kale.
Mature curly kale has a peppery flavor with a pleasantly bitter edge. Lacinato kale tastes less bitter, and its flavor can be described as earthy, yet delicate, with a hint of nutty sweetness. A light frost makes both types taste sweeter, which is why late fall is the perfect time to cook with kale.

I'd like to try it since I've been sitting on a large can of chick peas that I bought to make hummus during the summer but never did.

I used regular curly Kale in mine.

Back
Top Bottom