• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Out to eat at one of our favorite places. Fresh dinner salad with grilled white fish, caught fresh that morning

View attachment 43511
The salad looks yummy, though I have never had a savoury salad with watermelon and strawberries in it. Having said that, green Granny Smith apples go great in a salad….

Out to eat at one of our favorite places. Fresh dinner salad with grilled white fish, caught fresh that morning

View attachment 43511
The salad looks yummy, though I have never had a savoury salad with watermelon and strawberries in it. Having said that, green Granny Smith apples go great in a salad….
It’s really good. I also tend to just do savory in a green salad at home and fruit in a fruit salad. But theirs is always spectacular! And the fish just caught in the morning.

Recently, I ordered some stuff, and among my buys was a pack of Uncle Ben's microwavable Spanish rice. Pre-cooked, heat and serve. Ick! Ick! Ick! Not Spanish rice. More like something served in prison to punish unruly prisoners. Mouth feel was very bad. Wet and slimy. Taste was awful. Resembled content of a vacuum cleaner bag. After 2 bites I threw it out.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Recently, I ordered some stuff, and among my buys was a pack of Uncle Ben's microwavable Spanish rice. Pre-cooked, heat and serve. Ick! Ick! Ick! Not Spanish rice. More like something served in prison to punish unruly prisoners. Mouth feel was very bad. Wet and slimy. Taste was awful. Resembled content of a vacuum cleaner bag. After 2 bites I threw it out.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Its not Uncle Ben's anymore. Its just Ben's. Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima walked away into the sunset hand in hand during the Great Minority Food Purge of 2019.

Rice-A-Roni is ok if you have some meat that needs to be used up to mix in but the flavor packets are very salty and I wouldn't eat it too often.

Shoulda stuck with Rice-a-Roni. It's a San Francisco treat.

I actually have 2 boxes of Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice waiting in the cupboard.
I just made a batch of that a couple of weeks ago. Unlike the other Rice-a-Roni mixes you have to add a can of chopped tomatoes to the mix, so beware of that extra ingredient. TBH, it wasn't that great, and I'll probably not buy that one again. Much prefer the Spanish Rice from a Mexican restaurant.

Rice-a-Roni always seems to remind me of when I was a kid sick with a cold at home in the '60's and '70's. I would watch game shows, and the consolation prize for one particular game show (I think it was The Newlywed Game) was a years supply of Rice-a-Roni. At the time, I didn't realize these prizes were donated by companies as a way to advertise their product on TV to housewives. Instead, I always imagined the game show's producers brainstorming around the conference table for prize ideas and figured they just had really twisted and rather shitty imaginations about what prizes people really like to get.

This morning I made a turkey-spinach-tomato frittata. It's a favorite, simple to make, and, since there's only two of us, there's always enough left over to anchor a light supper (with a salad on the side).

I just had instant microwave porridge with half a cup of defrosted mixed berries. by defrosting the berries in the fridge you get that little syrup… and it goes nicely.

I just had instant microwave porridge with half a cup of defrosted mixed berries. by defrosting the berries in the fridge you get that little syrup… and it goes nicely.

Is porridge any tastier than oatmeal? Probably not. I’ve been eating oatmeal off and on for decades. Oatmeal is a sullen food. Never had porridge. I usually have ham and egg on a toasted bagel. That makes me happy. But then every once in awhile, oatmeal. Oatmeal with frozen blueberries and a bit of maple syrup. I leave it in to microwave some extra seconds and the blueberries bleed out. It’s still oatmeal.

Back
Top Bottom