• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I just had instant microwave porridge with half a cup of defrosted mixed berries. by defrosting the berries in the fridge you get that little syrup… and it goes nicely.

Is porridge any tastier than oatmeal? Probably not. I’ve been eating oatmeal off and on for decades. Oatmeal is a sullen food. Never had porridge. I usually have ham and egg on a toasted bagel. That makes me happy. But then every once in awhile, oatmeal. Oatmeal with frozen blueberries and a bit of maple syrup. I leave it in to microwave some extra seconds and the blueberries bleed out. It’s still oatmeal.
They are basically the same thing. Today I had a chopped up dried apple slice, half a pear and an apricot in my warm porridge. Yummy.

This morning I made pineapple pancakes, with plenty of maple syrup and fresh pineapple, not to mention breakfast sausage, on the side. I know many people think pineapple on pizza is desecration; perhaps they feel the same way about pancakes. All I can say is, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

This morning I made pineapple pancakes, with plenty of maple syrup and fresh pineapple, not to mention breakfast sausage, on the side. I know many people think pineapple on pizza is desecration; perhaps they feel the same way about pancakes. All I can say is, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
That actually sounds pretty good to me.

I bought a mini-waffle maker. Cost me all of $11. Makes waffles OK. But I found out a few waffles shoots my blood sugar sky high. So I won't be using it much. The plan had to make big batches, undercook them a bit and freeze a bunch. Brown them up under the broiler to perfection.

Tonight, we are having grilled fresh corn on the cob, grilled lamb burgers and a fresh tomato and green pepper salad.

The salad is fresh tomatoes and green pepper chopped and then marinated in virgin olive oil with chopped garlic. It sits for a couple of hours at least. The aroma is heavenly.

The lamb burgers have fresh mint chopped in them along with some chopped garlic, a little bit of oregano and crushed red pepper flakes, an egg, bread crumbs, and a little bit of sherry and
white wine vinegar.

I

I bought a mini-waffle maker. Cost me all of $11. Makes waffles OK. But I found out a few waffles shoots my blood sugar sky high. So I won't be using it much. The plan had to make big batches, undercook them a bit and freeze a bunch. Brown them up under the broiler to perfection.
Love our 30 yr old Belgian waffle iron - never fails. Makes one biggie that easily cuts in 4… the quarters brown up in the toaster real nice.
IMG_0510.jpeg

Love our 30 yr old Belgian waffle iron - never fails. Makes one biggie that easily cuts in 4… the quarters brown up in the toaster real nice.
View attachment 43976
I stopped making waffles because I didn’t like cleaning the waffle maker ( which suggests to me I wasn’t making then right). Do you have any hints to keep the waffles from sticking to the iron?

I use spray (Pam) oil… never a problem. Rinse, wipe, put it away.

We are in a heat spell, 4 days over 90. It is 87 in my apartment.

I put a can of salmon in the refrgerator in the morning.

I'll have chilled salmon and tomatoes for dinner.

Not much. I'm on a prescription that can cause nausea, and today was one of those days where it did. I had a granola bar early this morning, a a cup of Cheerios for lunch, and was able to keep down a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Green chile burritos sound good (the hole in the wall Mexican restaurant near my house has a really good one), but right now my stomach is saying "don't you even think about it."

Not much. I'm on a prescription that can cause nausea, and today was one of those days where it did. I had a granola bar early this morning, a a cup of Cheerios for lunch, and was able to keep down a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Green chile burritos sound good (the hole in the wall Mexican restaurant near my house has a really good one), but right now my stomach is saying "don't you even think about it."
I was on simvastatin at one stage and wasn't allowed to eat Grapefruit - which I adore.... so when my liver played up due to Sulphasalazine, and I was changed to a different cholesterol tablet, I rejoiced!

Dolmas, stuffed grape leaves, Greek food. No store within 20 miles of me carries them, but I can order them through Walmart. $3.65 a pack of 8. So I have been getting these. These really go good with a salad. Especially when I add olives, a sliced boiled egg, and sweet girkins. And a pack of Buddig lunch meat. And an avocado.

This was delicious. We used 4 very large garlic cloves, and fresh plum tomatoes that were delightfully firm. Leftovers at work today. :)

IMG_0273.jpeg

Long ago, I remember in my youth, cream of wheat. I finally bought abox a few months ago, and found out I did not like it. It was expensive too. But I find I like grits. This morning's breakfast was grits, cooked moist, not a paste as usual. With butter, and salt. Also known as corn mush. Peasant food. A staple of depression era cuisine.

Back
Top Bottom