• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

We've had the same one for 43 years, was a wedding gift. Used it today to blend black beans, white beans, capers, kalamata olives and a splash or olive oil. Served over wilted escarole. Not too shabby. Don't know what life would be like without a processor, and this one cleans up super easy.

Dependability and easy clean up. I like that. What is the make / model?

Cuisinart Pro Custom 11. It's also nice and heavy so stays put on the counter.

Was at Costco recently and noticed sardines on sale. I haven't had them since I was a kid and I don't remember liking them. My dad used to have them for lunch. Also I think my grandpa used to like pickled herring. So the idea of eating stinky little fish holds some attraction for me. Never did try pickled herring since I figure whatever we get here in the states is probably inferior. Whatever. I bought a six-pack. They're the Season brand, boneless, skinless, in olive oil, 4.375 oz. per can and provide 1700 mg of Omega3. Price was incredibly low at $7 for six cans. The lowest price on Amazon is 75% more for this brand, which btw gets great reviews. Yep, they are fishy tasting right out of the can, but not mushy and no scales which I hear can be problematic. And I found some ways to make them more acceptable to my unacculturated palate with mayo, fresh dill, lemon, ground black pepper, and maybe some avocado on the side. If all else fails balsamic vinegar completely neutralizes the fishy taste. Let's see: heritage food, high omega3 so good for my cholesterol level, incredible bargain price. And low mercury content unlike tuna. What's not to like?

I think since they have an expiration date of 2025, if I use 1 can/week and work my way up I can use at least 80 6-packs. The sign at Costco says "10 per member", whatever that might mean. Let's see, I bought one the other day, so I'll try buying 10 more. No problem. I go back into the store again and buy 10 more. No problem! I have just enough time for one more run so I decide to try 20 and see if I can buy them on two separate recipes. Well by now everyone of the Costco clerks knows me and the one at the self-checkout register flags me. I explain I want to put them on separate receipts so she calls over the manager. He says to me "What part of 10 per member don't you understand?". Not wanting to piss anyone off I explained that the register has no problem with me buying more since it let me pay for 21 already. I said I wasn't trying to cause trouble but different grocery stores have different policies. (At my usual one the checkout clerk will volunteer to run anything over the limit on a second receipt. And anyway if I was trying to cheat the system I would not have gone to the same register.) I told him I'd be a fool not to test what they would allow. Well he wouldn't listen, but he did tell me that the limit is 10 per member per day. WELL EXCUSE ME! No I didn't say that, even though it sounds as arbitrary as anything else that isn't "TEN PER MEMBER, PERIOD. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!". I'm going back today despite the minor inconvenience. I can save $50 every time I do (plus 2% by using my Costco VISA card).

Pickled beets and a banana coconut avocado milkshake. It also has almond because the vanilla extract I bought says vanilla on the box but inside is a bottle of almond extract. :/ I added vanilla also and it tastes fine.

You've just convinced me what to have for lunch. My mother would spin in her grave if I did anything other than mash them in a saucepan with a capful of apple cider vinegar, warm them until the liquid reduces, and plop them on toast with some black pepper. These are the ones with the skin on in olive oil.

Thank you (goes off for a nostalgic meal)

You've just convinced me what to have for lunch. My mother would spin in her grave if I did anything other than mash them in a saucepan with a capful of apple cider vinegar, warm them until the liquid reduces, and plop them on toast with some black pepper. These are the ones with the skin on in olive oil.

Thank you (goes off for a nostalgic meal)

You're certainly welcome. I've eaten a can for lunch the last 3 days. I've found placing them on a smear of my mayo sauce on top of an original style Wasa rye crisp to be thoroughly satisfying.

Was at Costco recently and noticed sardines on sale. I haven't had them since I was a kid and I don't remember liking them. My dad used to have them for lunch. Also I think my grandpa used to like pickled herring. So the idea of eating stinky little fish holds some attraction for me. Never did try pickled herring since I figure whatever we get here in the states is probably inferior. Whatever. I bought a six-pack. They're the Season brand, boneless, skinless, in olive oil, 4.375 oz. per can and provide 1700 mg of Omega3. Price was incredibly low at $7 for six cans. The lowest price on Amazon is 75% more for this brand, which btw gets great reviews. Yep, they are fishy tasting right out of the can, but not mushy and no scales which I hear can be problematic. And I found some ways to make them more acceptable to my unacculturated palate with mayo, fresh dill, lemon, ground black pepper, and maybe some avocado on the side. If all else fails balsamic vinegar completely neutralizes the fishy taste. Let's see: heritage food, high omega3 so good for my cholesterol level, incredible bargain price. And low mercury content unlike tuna. What's not to like?

I think since they have an expiration date of 2025, if I use 1 can/week and work my way up I can use at least 80 6-packs. The sign at Costco says "10 per member", whatever that might mean. Let's see, I bought one the other day, so I'll try buying 10 more. No problem. I go back into the store again and buy 10 more. No problem! I have just enough time for one more run so I decide to try 20 and see if I can buy them on two separate recipes. Well by now everyone of the Costco clerks knows me and the one at the self-checkout register flags me. I explain I want to put them on separate receipts so she calls over the manager. He says to me "What part of 10 per member don't you understand?". Not wanting to piss anyone off I explained that the register has no problem with me buying more since it let me pay for 21 already. I said I wasn't trying to cause trouble but different grocery stores have different policies. (At my usual one the checkout clerk will volunteer to run anything over the limit on a second receipt. And anyway if I was trying to cheat the system I would not have gone to the same register.) I told him I'd be a fool not to test what they would allow. Well he wouldn't listen, but he did tell me that the limit is 10 per member per day. WELL EXCUSE ME! No I didn't say that, even though it sounds as arbitrary as anything else that isn't "TEN PER MEMBER, PERIOD. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!". I'm going back today despite the minor inconvenience. I can save $50 every time I do (plus 2% by using my Costco VISA card).

Hmm sardines here range from 65c a tin to $2 a tin, depending on brand. I only buy the ones in tomato sauce, and chopped up with some finely chopped onion, on hot toast with salt and pepper? Yummy.

I am getting my omega3 from fish at the moment. I like fish, and red meat, but as I am trying to lose weight (as usual) I have been buying salmon and snapper and barramundi fillets, giving Bilby the red meat, sausages etc.

Today I had some coleslaw veggies with French dressing and it was nice! I just don’t have any coleslaw dressing in the house at present. Tomorrow I plan on trying same veggies with balsamic dressing.

I also had some strawberries and blueberries with honey drizzled over them. Yummy!

Hmm sardines here range from 65c a tin to $2 a tin, depending on brand. I only buy the ones in tomato sauce, and chopped up with some finely chopped onion, on hot toast with salt and pepper? Yummy.

You must mean this brand:
View attachment 29116

Seriously, I was amazed how much the price varies for sardines. It really pays to comparison shop.

Long morning of laundry and errands, now having a relaxed meal of microwave chicken chimichanga.

Made a pretty tasty bruschetta with grape tomatoes from the garden. Salmon and also some fresh squash. Then we had the first pawpaws of the season for dessert. Also been munching on more electric skillet pizza. Good for those hot days when you don't want to heat up the house.

I have been practising my roasts of late and I think I am getting close to the perfect roast.

Last week it was roast pork, and the crackling was spot on!

Today it was roast beef, and it was great, but I overdid the veg. :(

It’s becoming a Sunday thing here, as then I have meat for Bilby’s sandwiches.

Country style spare ribs w/ barbecue sauce in the oven, cooked low and slow. Coming out of the oven in about a half hour.

We can have them because of the healthy salads I made us for lunch.

Made some brown rice tabouli today. It's pretty good for flavor with fresh lemon juice and fresh mint and onion. The only thing dried was the parsley. Flavor's good but I prefer the texture of bulgar wheat. It's a good way to use up all the brown rice I stocked up on back in March or April due to uncertainties of the pandemic.

I threw together my first pasta sauce over the weekend - Streetwalker's Sauce (Alla Puttanesca). We picked up brined olives and anchovy fillets from a specialty shop, peeled/seeded a few tomatoes, and added capers, garlic, and red pepper flakes. The recipe came from the Sauce book I just bought a few months ago. It was a very good pasta.

Then with my newfound skills I made a similar pasta last night, but with shrimp, zucchini, and portabello mushroom.

Kroger's had chuck roasts on sale, buy one get one free. One is in the freezer for pot roast and the other I cut up for beef stew. It came out yummy.

I don't usually buy beef from Kroger. Most of the time it's not very good. The chuck cuts were quite good quality this time.

Kroger's had chuck roasts on sale, buy one get one free. One is in the freezer for pot roast and the other I cut up for beef stew. It came out yummy.

I don't usually buy beef from Kroger. Most of the time it's not very good. The chuck cuts were quite good quality this time.

I've found that chuck roasts and crock pots are a natural marriage. Everything comes out fall-apart tender.

I took Angry Floof's post #96 to heart and have done several dinner entrees with rice and broccoli. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking rice, so I shopped for pre-cooked side dishes of rice, the kind that come in pouches that you find near the Rice-a-Roni. My fave right now is Royal brand cilantro lime basmati rice in an 8.5 ounce pouch. I steam fresh broccoli 'til it's just about fully tender, tip out some of the water in the skillet, then add the rice mixture, stir, and steam some more. The cilantro lime is a bit bland, but a little salt and pepper perk it up, and the cilantro/lime flavors are just strong enough.

Some of you may get a laugh from my frustration.

Home for the first time in ages, decided I need oat bran muffins to use up the eggs that aren't floating - but are considering it.

I know I bought sugar when I moved back in. Can I find it? NO.

Never mind, there is a big jar of glucose. How different can it be? (Remember that question later.)

So I mix the eggs, glucose, oat bran, some cinnamon, some oil, some sultanas, some raising agent and find that my muffin tins are in Leongatha, 40kms away.

I pour the mix into a flat tin and tell myself I intended to make a slice all along.

When it comes out of the oven it is brown. Really brown. Glucose? And not at all sweet.

I make a honey syrup and pour it over, baklava style.

Could be worse.

Ordered out - Thai food. Delicious, and enough left over for another meal!

Back
Top Bottom