• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Zuku Errekete or Requete Soup. This is how you make it. Take a large soup pot. Toss all your leftovers in it. Throw in garlic finely chopped, basil, oregano and enough water and red wine to make a stew. It should be thick, traditionally the sergeant would stick his sword in it and if it stood up, it was thick enough. Cook until everything is soft and the flavor is uniform. Serve in a large bowl with a Navarrese red wine.

Eldarion Lathria.

Birthday Pizza. My 34th is on Wednesday, so to celebrate we bought a large pizza and an order of garlic bread from the most popular pizza place in the city, Formaggio's. Normally I don't think much of pizza from anywhere, but they're a step above what you'd expect out of Southwestern Ontario.

Pepperoni, bacon, onion, mushroom seasoned with salt and pepper, and a glass of ice-water. The garlic bread is very good too - their trick is using more garlic butter than any human ever should, and hiding the evidence with cheese.

Birthday Pizza. My 34th is on Wednesday, so to celebrate we bought a large pizza and an order of garlic bread from the most popular pizza place in the city, Formaggio's. Normally I don't think much of pizza from anywhere, but they're a step above what you'd expect out of Southwestern Ontario.

Pepperoni, bacon, onion, mushroom seasoned with salt and pepper, and a glass of ice-water. The garlic bread is very good too - their trick is using more garlic butter than any human ever should, and hiding the evidence with cheese.
What a week then! Bilby is Thursday, wedding anniversary Friday, me Saturday! Oh and vet tomorrow! Wow!

Tonight I am doing stir fry veg with think pork sirloin steak for bilby, and stir fry veg and a pan fried barramundi fillet for me.

Lately I have been almost cooking two meals for Bilby and I, I am trying to eat more veg and fish, whereas Bilby prefers red meat and potatoes.

I have also been through the mountain of supermarket recipe magazines and pulled out the ones I think I might cook. I have oodles of recipes and rarely use them.

Eating my last non-liquid meal until dinner tomorrow. I have a procedure scheduled at the GE tomorrow afternoon, which kind of pisses me off since I had no complaints that would lead to this nasty and uncomfortable procedure, and in fact specifically said no problems there whatsoever. But I guess as a preventative measure, it's best to just get it over with. *sigh*

Tonight we will have leftover "Fiesta Salad" with grilled fish. Fiesta salad is a combination of corn off the cob, black beans, red onion, garlic, lime juice, smoked chipotle pepper seasoning, avocada, lime zest (if you have a lime), cilantro and jalapeno pepper. We saw the recipe on "The Barefoot Contessa" - it is delicious.

Temperature was a bit cooler today so I made a big pot of my fish stew -
Brown 1/2 pound white potato chunks in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add:
1 tsp tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 medium yellow onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tsp sweet paprika
When garlic blooms add:
1/4 cup chardonnay to deglaze
1.5 cup boiling water
1 or 2 dried bay leaves
chopped red and yellow bell pepper
chopped zucchini
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp dried Wakame seaweed (or chopped parsley)
More water as required.
Partially cover and let simmer ~ 10 minutes. Add:
Fish. About 6 oz firm white flesh such as Chilean Sea Bass.
(Note: if unable to remortgage home you might substitute frozen fillets of Vietnamese swai. :))
Drizzle a bit more olive oil over this and a bit more black pepper and let simmer ~ 10 minutes.
Let cool. I add ~ 1/2 tsp powdered psyllium husk to thicken the broth.
Serve with a hunk of good crusty bread.

Based this on recipe for bouillabaisse but without the saffron and fennel and of course the wide assortment of fresh fishes. Still it should make your mouth very happy.

Garden veggie burger on Lavash with blue cheese, sliced onion and avocado

Four Pastel de Nata filled with Nutella, four regular. I don't know who I was kidding by buying four without Nutella, but there you have it.. we have four of them.

l.jpg

Yesterday I made appetisers for us. Onion/mushroom/cheese tartlets, which were yummy; caramelised onion tartlets, not so good; savoury scones; pigs in blankets.

Not a bad grazing feed.

Had a baked Denver omelette with mixed fruit and Hatch chili rolls for brunch.

For lunch today we had tacos made from left over organic baby back ribs, avocado, grape tomatoes, onions, lettuce and a sprinkling of cheese. My husband cuts up the ribs into tiny little pieces and heats up the tortillas in the over. OMG! Much better than eating Tex/Mex food.

Tonight we will probably have some quiche with spinach and carrots all baked in a delicious pie shell. I love that my husband's hobby becoming cooking after he retired.

Last night we had sautéed ahi tuna topped off with a special sauce that he makes. For sides we had roasted baby potatoes, sautéed spinach and left over orange glazed
carrots. All yummy.

Been eating LOTS of tomatoes and the best eggs you ever dreamed of.
My tomato crop is insane this year and we've been eating them voraciously and giving away dozens of big beautiful ripe ones every few days, while Mrs. E. has been freezing as many as possible.
But the eggs... oh my.
Our county brand inspector and his wife are our friends - they raise cattle and hay, and have a bunch of truly "free range" chickens that run loose eating bugs and weeds and god knows what else.
The eggs are XL, with huge dark red-orange yolks that are simply incredible tasting.
Of course we've had some beef tenderloin with sliced tomatoes and Bearnaise/Hollandaise sauce ... unreal.
But also huevos rancheros, deviled eggs and of course plenty of the basic ranch breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, hash brown potatoes and toast. Cakes and baked goods are next!

Having two hummus wraps for dinner. NOM.

I wish I could justify buying a good food processor to make my own hummus. I could go heavy on the roasted garlic!

We've had the same one for 43 years, was a wedding gift. Used it today to blend black beans, white beans, capers, kalamata olives and a splash or olive oil. Served over wilted escarole. Not too shabby. Don't know what life would be like without a processor, and this one cleans up super easy.

Having two hummus wraps for dinner. NOM.

I wish I could justify buying a good food processor to make my own hummus. I could go heavy on the roasted garlic!

We've had the same one for 43 years, was a wedding gift. Used it today to blend black beans, white beans, capers, kalamata olives and a splash or olive oil. Served over wilted escarole. Not too shabby. Don't know what life would be like without a processor, and this one cleans up super easy.

Dependability and easy clean up. I like that. What is the make / model?

Back
Top Bottom