• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is god?

I'm with you on just about all of this, another1. Except that I still don't go to church. I've a literary friend - who just had his first literary publication (he publishes routinely in and particular to his profession) - who is encouraging me to visit an Episcopal church, and even sent me a link to one in Lake Havasu, where I live, but I still have cold feet.

I and my brother are both Christians, but of no specific order. I am a by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of Christian, and a lot of what you said in your post is very similar to how my brother and I converse about Jesus Christ. I think I am slightly more 'orthodox' than he because he is keen on the theory that Jesus didn't die on the Cross but survived, married Mary Magdalen, and that whole thing. I don't hang with that theory at all, since Christ's death and atonement are to my mind indispensable and crucial.

To me, Jesus was God's more feminine side in the flesh, here on Terra Firma. That may sound odd being that Jesus was a man and is called the Son of God, etc. I get this 'feeling' from Julian of Norwich, who refers to the 'mothering' nature of the Lord. ie: God would be a Being that transcends anything like gender, or, Who encompasses all that we know of gender. To grok what I mean, think of that Star Trek episode where Captain Kirk gets divided into two individuals through some accident in the transport beam. One Kirk is an alpha male, all reptilian, prone to violence, aggressive, keen on sex and domination, while the other Kirk is the softer side, the beta Kirk, gentle, effeminate, nurturing - he is shown holding and stroking the 'better half' of a cat that went through the same division. Even though that program is frequently maligned by sci-fi fans and the general public alike, its writers were quite intelligent and most of the first two seasons dealt with very weighty philosophical topics.

I digress: Christ to me is perfectly captured in Mel Gibson's Passion, in the opening scene in Gethsemane. I have a difficult time sitting through the scourging scene, and I agree with many of Gibson's detractors who say the scene is far too brutal and graphic, not to mention over-long, to do the film credit. But Christ, as portrayed by the beautiful and gifted Jim Caviezel, in the first moments of the film, nails it, at least for me, particularly when Christ heals the Roman soldier whom Peter has de-eared. He is speaking to Peter while looking into the eyes of the soldier, and this moment crystallizes Jesus Christ for me: the Christ I revere and love in my heart, and Whom I believe has captured my heart (though five years ago I would have sneered at anyone saying such a thing - and the proof of my words here should be in the archives).

The main problem for me with Christianity, with the Gospels, and with the larger part of Christian theology, is the concept of hell and damnation. I simply cannot reconcile a loving Father, an inconceivably intelligent Being, with eternal punishment. I was flipping through an illustrated 'Inferno' yesterday and all that medieval, Dantean nastiness just leaps right out at me as being diametrically opposed to love, compassion, and forgiveness. I can't accept a literal hell, never will, and have prepared myself for the possibility that this very denial of something so central to Christianity could very well be the mark of my true character (notice I used the scary word 'mark').

I do not approve of the idea of eternal damnation, nor do I think I could ever find a way to have it make sense to me. I've had vehement arguments with Calvinists who tell me that I must simply accept, whether I approve or not; but how could such a thing be done? The very God and Christ I love would know that acceptance of such a thing is not possible for me - at least with this current brain of mine. The only way I could 'accept' the idea of conscious, sentient beings suffering eternally would be to become a different person altogether.

My notion of Christianity informs me that, rather than existing forever in bliss, I have a duty to be with those who are suffering, to give them whatever solace or comfort I can; or to simply be among them, as Jesus went among those who suffered, to share in their lowly station and to be as they were. As a follower of Christ, I see no other option.

Peace and Love to you.

My interpretation of God is on the feminine side also. I have my own thoughts, you know? Christ is a concept to me, and some people understand it. Most people I know are just scared and pretend they are down, or they are struggling to make pointless points against the inevitable. It is hard to shape my ideas to be accepted by an some people in a Church I go to. I'm constantly attacked by someone saying I'm on the "get all you can" satanic thing in accepting Christ. I do talk a lot of sandwiches but when we're talking about something like this, there has to me a lot of metaphorical talk. There is something indescribable, and I almost agree with a Pantheist when told that "it always is that it is what it is not". I'm starting to believe in the mechanism (for lack of a better word) that prevents our level of consciousness from understanding God. I agree that if that existed, it would be for protection, and not out of malice. Some things are not meant to be fully understood. I've seen people take it to the gristle and pick their teeth with the remains of the old issue many times. No one knows anything, turns out. My concern now is the ten year old child who asks a computer what God is, and what we tell that child when he or she trips over this conversation.

Do you think some people are chemically engrained to believe in God? I was told that when I was born it was inevitable that I would eventually accept Christ and it confused me until I looked at you tube. Note: do not look at you tube for anything other than music videos, violence and animals doing cute things. My current state of mind suggests that Christ is a mechanism in nature and human emotion. A barrier that has to be. It has been done for us so we should live and love God because God allows us the consciousness to form our lives through the ether. A sacrifice was made. It is up to them. Pretty much agreed with you and props on not going to Church.

Nice post.

Do I think some people are chemically engrained to believe in God?

Could be. I'm inclined to the 'belief' that no-one really chooses what they believe or don't: that we can only believe what makes sense to us at a certain time, in a certain 'brain-state', as DBT might say. Hence, for most people, beliefs are dynamic rather than being fixed throughout their lifetime. Not that there are no such people as Ayn Rand, whose beliefs were, as far as her own testimony and recorded legacy demonstrate, permanent and intransigent through nearly 80 years. There are others, but I use her as an example. An Objectivist might argue that Rand, and hence Objectivists (at least those who grasp that system of thought) don't hold 'beliefs' per se, or beliefs at all, but align their intellectual orientation to the facts, according to Reason.

I tell people I was an atheist for two decades, with short periods of 'spiritual' seeking and occasional brief moments when I felt that I had achieved faith in God (my first two decades, from birth to 20, I don't count, as hardly anyone really knows what the hell is going on during those years, at least I didn't, and in some ways I didn't care: I was selfish and vain to a fault). But on reflection, I know that even as an atheist - and actively calling myself one on FRDB for several years as well as to others publicly and privately - my heart was never really in it, and it was a strictly intellectual desire: the desire to abstain from mysticism and all shoddy thinking. In my heart of hearts, I spoke with God, and communed with God, and always acknowledged Him/Her. In 2011 I went through an almost Damascene transformation, and over the course of a few days achieved the leap of faith I could never make before. Once across that divide, I haven't looked back. Not that faith is certainty, or anything like a knowledge claim. It's somewhere between stubborn doubt and grateful acceptance, loving acquiescence. Some might call it stupidity, or madness, but I could not care less for how it appears to others. My only concern is being straight with the Lord as I understand Him, which is the best I can do. It may be flawed, it may be truly stupid, or insane, but I don't 'believe' that it is. I believe it's something I should be thankful for more than worried or embarrassed about, regardless of the rancor and dismay this attitude might cause in others.

I also think any religion is a path to God. Do I choose Christianity because of geographical determinism? Could be; but it's true that I was raised in a largely religionless household, was baptized at five or six years of age due to my father's finally yielding to my Catholic mother's wishes, but never went to church, except once or twice, and the truly strange thing is, my conversion to a religious faith was largely initiated and helped along by my experiences at FRDB with other atheists and agnostics! I found myself being more and more disappointed in what I saw as mean-spirited mockery and groupthink rather than truly rational, and independent, free-thought. NOT to say this applies to ALL the 'Internet infidels' I was involved with over the years: ONLY a relative few when you get down to it, but my disappointment was enough to get me rethinking my beliefs and general worldview. In addition, I explored many different religions and read through lots of ancient scriptural works, though I will admit not exhaustively. When I read the New Testament all the way through for the first time, and actually paid attention to it, without worrying about inconsistencies and/or contradictions, I think I grokked it, at least as well as my little noodle could manage. I think Jesus, even if He were not 'divine' in the traditional sense, was extremely intelligent and touched on all kinds of issues which are for some reason not paid much attention to by mainstream Christendom, such as His parables dealing with economics and political systems. Sure, He spoke in agrarian terms, but He was speaking to agrarian people! He had to fashion His message in such a way that it could be understood by geniuses and dummies alike. He was a great Poet.

So, long story longer (lol), yes, I think some of us are chemically or in some other ineffable fashion determined to believe in God. We kick against the pricks until we finally give in, if kicking for a good long while is in our nature. Christ is patient and long-suffering, and knows He will win in the end. Some don't kick at all, and are devout and pious from a young age. Some, it must be said, may kick against the pricks until they're dead, but still be totally moral and in some ways 'divine' persons with great gifts and great Love to offer others. Theism or atheism has no real bearing on a person's moral character. There are evil theists as there are good and loving atheists, and that's all part of the plan.

God is tricksy. The first shall be last, the last shall be first; the low shall be raised up, the high brought low. The world is upside-down currently, but corrections are being made, and the class divide is narrowing. People in high places are being shamed, stepping out of auspicious positions, exposed as the hypocrites they are. The unwashed masses are being educated, and the educated are often terribly uncomfortable with this prospect. I see it everywhere. Autodidacts, gifted individuals, are ubiquitous. Youtube is a treasure trove of brilliant children, amazing musicians who've never had a lesson, creative geniuses who are members of no school, who are on their own fast-track and who don't give a damn about fame or fortune, intellectuals who've never stepped foot in a university who can embarrass famous professors and PHD's, etc. The list goes on. This is NOT proof that God exists, or anything remotely like it, only an indication in my mind that the prophecy in Joel just might have something going for it:

28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

- Joel 2:28-29

Last edited:
"God" is clearly a mental state, and from my observations of those who claim to have some knowledge of such, something closer to emotion than intellect. In this sense "God" is a "what," and never a who.

I've known one person who started believing in "supernatural" when he developed alcohol induced psychosis in midlife. For his "God" to go away and never return he merely needs to practice abstinence, something that is understandably quite difficult for him to do.

"God" is never a scientific state of mind unless one is observing "God" associated behavior in others. And with the advances humans are making in mental imaging I am certain our understanding of precisely what constitutes "God" in terms of behavior will become more defined in my lifetime.

Certainly "God" is not something that is external to ourselves, as this has never been shown, only argued. So maybe arguing for the existence of something external to ourselves that is "God" is one of the attributes of "God."

Interestingly, etymologically speaking, "God" literally means to cry out.

Long Post! Don't read unless you like navel lint!

WilliamB's official 'definition' of God.

Please note, I put this up here as light entertainment for whomever might want to wade through it, but I did try to obey the OP to the best of my ability. I have not Googled [except for the spelling of Schweitzer] nor referred to my notes, because I want it to be loose and informal. I welcome any objections, and would attempt to address them. Just bear in mind, ye scholars: I cannot do formal logic or formal debate. All I can do is what I've done below. If you want me to address objections formally, with all kinds of symbols and language my brain doesn't know anything about, you will be sorely disappointed. This is NOT to say I don't want you to do that, if you feel like it; it's only to say that I concede defeat herewith and forthwith and even fifthwith, if necessary!

Angra Mainyu: if you should drop in and do what you do, I will try to hang, but odds are I won't grok a great portion of what you're telling/asking me. You seem wickedly bright to me. There are others, like fromderinside & Speakpigeon, but if I drop more names this post will just get longer and more tedious. Y'all know who you are.

Also note I've not bothered to use italics, bolding, or anything. Too. Much. Work. Bear in mind I'm an autodidact with a lousy day-job and I haven't got as much time as it appears I have to do such exhaustive examinations of my belly-button (inny).

Onwards!

I'll attempt to define God, not just the word itself, which I admit is a cheat and doesn't address the OP, but the Being itself, at least as I conceive of that being, as long as it's understood that my concept of such a Being does not in any way constitute a knowledge claim, and as long as anyone reading my definition realizes that I cannot possibly have derived it on my own, but that it is a composite, or a distillation of prior definitions.

First off, I would not consider such a Being as supernatural, since I cannot conceive of what supernatural might be. God would be the single greatest and highest being imaginable, which I take from Anselm and others, such as Aristotle and Spinoza, each of whom had their own private conception of God and different modes of expressing that definition.

This Being is natural, as I cannot conceive of anything, being or otherwise, as existing beyond or transcending nature; but that being said, this Being is absolutely primary, as in Aristotle's Prime Mover, and by this it should be understood that nothing can be prior to or outside of this Being.

(Note: this is not to say that something supernatural does not or cannot exist; it's only to say that given my complete inability to conceive of what supernatural might be, I decide to avoid it completely and stick to a framework in which, and with which, I can grapple.)

Even if we conceive of any number of gods, we would always have to reduce (or extrapolate*) back (or forward*) to a single God in which all lesser gods are subsumed and from which those lesser beings derived their existence. To arrive at a proper definition of God, one would have to accept the fact that no further reduction* to something prior* is necessary or possible, unless one would prefer to drive oneself mad in a constant mental battle with infinite reduction. I derive this idea from Lactantius, who laid it out in the most clear way for myself personally. I don't expect anyone to respect this hypothesis, but rather I would expect them to object to it, since that's what thinking creatures do.

To know what is referred to by the word God, with a capital G, It is 'that than which nothing greater can be conceived', to quote (hopefully) Anselm, who, for all I know, derived that expression from others before him. (?)

To quote certain apologists, God IS the explanation, and requires no explanation of Him(Her)self. This is the starting point and necessary axiom for any theist. It is granted that no atheist is required to adopt that as satisfactory, hence the ongoing debate in respect to definitions of God. But at the same time, anyone discussing the concepts of Existence and cosmology needs to have some kind of initial axiom, a jumping off point. This could be argued as well, but why bother?

I guess the accepted secular definition of Existence is that Existence has existed eternally, with no beginning and no possible end. This has to be acceptable to the theist as well as the atheist, unless they can come up with a definition which has Existence beginning at some point. But such a definition would only beg the question: What caused that beginning to begin? And, what was going on before Existence began?

Are such questions remotely answerable? Do they make any sense at all? Is the problem merely one of semantics, or is it a philosophical (metaphysical, specifically) problem? Or a science problem? Who can sort this out better, a scientist or a philosopher? Or a theologian? Who the hell knows! No one knows at this juncture of our civilization, and any pretense to certain knowledge is just that: Pretentious.

*******(Noted and granted: Science currently has the best grip on the actual state of affairs as we as biological entities can understand it. I think it would be pointless and indeed, hugely ungrateful, to deny this. Without the scientific method, people like myself, who do not have a mind cut out for rigorous science, would not be able to sit here and speculate comfortably in front of others. It just would not have come to pass.)*********

Given that no one knows for sure how or why (if there is a why) Existence began, or simply, exists, all we need to know is that there is indeed something rather than nothing. Whatever that something is, it is manifestly obvious to anyone, or ought to be, that it exists, and that our conscious minds are capable of wondering what it is. Any denial of that, to my mind, is utterly futile.

This is not to say that I do not grant anyone the right to entertain a denial. Anyone may do as one pleases. This is what thinking creatures do; however, I cannot be bothered to try and argue against such a denial, as my arguing against it would constitute proof, to my mind, that the position of the denier has already been undermined, second by my arguing with him, but first by the denier himself by virtue of his denying. This makes sense to me, but I don't require it to make sense to anyone else, nor do I have to trouble myself with it any further, as it would be a waste of time.

Lest I run away with the thoughts rattling around in my noodle, let me come back to God. My definition of God is a composite, or perhaps a distillation (I don't really know which would be the proper term, could be they both apply, or neither) of everything I've ever heard, read, thought, or felt about God. This is the same for anyone, regardless of what they might say about it.

If the fundamentalist suggests that his definition of God is derived from the Bible and that alone, then he is forgetting (maybe) that the Bible is not a single work but a collection of works written over the course of nearly a thousand years, from the earliest Hebrew writings up to the later books in the New Testament. He might also be forgetting (willfully, or not forgetting at all, but with his private rationalizations, or understanding) that those works that make up the Bible in its current form were selected from a vast amount of similar documents by a select group of selectors, themselves selected by other selectors who entrusted them with the selecting.

We are all cherry pickers. Any and all rational humans are cherry pickers, whether they be fundies, agnostics, or skeptics. The fundamentalist, by deciding that the Bible is perfect and inerrant, has only selected for himself one big, juicy cherry from an even juicier body of other big juicy cherries, such as the Quran, various Hindu and Buddhist texts, and a plethora of similar scriptural works. Even Ayn Rand's school of Objectivists are cherry pickers, and have selected Rand's system of thought as one big juicy cherry among thousands of other cherries of organized thought.

As it can be seen, there are splits and divides among any groups of thinkers, be they theistic or secular. Even among fundies who are inerrantists, there are splits, dissensions, branching-offs into subgroups, which can often be extremely vicious with one another; the same with Objectivists, who have already, in an extraordinarily briefer amount of time, subdivided and twigged into various subgroups and bicker amongst each other with vitriol and venom that would impress the most zealous cleric or theologian.

[I'm only using Ayn Rand as an example here, not singling her out. Just look at the Scientologists! Eek!]

Onwards! :joy:

************* [¡ more asteriskses !] *******************

What follows is my personal definition of God: personal to me but not originated nor owned by me:

First: the sentence: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, is true, and if it's not plausible, then my whole definition of God is not plausible. Everything in my conception of God as it currently stands hinges on the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. To cut to the quick, before I go too far off the mark:

God is the greatest Whole that is greater than the sum of Its parts.

A car is greater than the sum of its parts. This should be apparent on any examination of what that sentence means, but in case it's not - and it isn't to quite a few people - imagine a car taken apart bit by bit, into its constituent parts, then reassembled in some willy-nilly fashion by people who do not know how to assemble a working car. The product achieved by this half-a55ed reassembly would not be a car, and hence would not be greater than the sum of its parts. A car is only greater than the sum of its parts if all of its parts are assembled correctly, so that the finished product will be a vehicle that operates as a car is designed to operate.

The universe is constituted of a ridiculously vast number of bodies which are not only wholes that are greater than the sums of their parts, but are also parts in some still greater body. God is that Body we come to when we have arrived at a Whole that is NOT a part of some still greater whole. That still greater whole is a phantom of the imagination and doesn't exist, and if it did exist, than It would be God. See? Prudence tells us that we have to stop somewhere, in respect to extrapolations as well as reductions. Our imaginations are limitless, but nature, or God, Itself, need not be so. In fact, I cannot conceive of a limitless God, an unbounded and uncontained God.

But while this is so, I cannot possibly conceive of God as God is, in and of Himself. All I can do is agree with myself to stop at some point and call that God. God is beyond the human mind's capacity to comprehend. If this is not so, then what we are talking about is not God, but some sub-god, some super alien, or AI. It may actually be the case that Jehovah in the Bible is a sub-god or even some super alien or AI, that the literature we call the Bible is only a stepping stone to something far greater, a local map of, and to, a local god; part of a far greater Map which IS God. I think that may be the case, but it doesn't have to be.

Jehovah, Allah, may be the God of all, the Father of fathers, or the God of one universe among a vast array of universes. I'll stop there for now and suggest that, again, we could go on forever extrapolating to something grander, but we don't have to, and God may in fact not be limitless or even infinite. He probably is, but maybe He's not?

As a sidenote, I recall that Spinoza (I think) defined God as a Being of infinite attributes; but he goes on to deny emotion to God. Hmm. Why should I conceive of God as being unemotional, since if I have emotions, it seems only logical that my capacity for emotion is not special to me and cannot possibly be unknown to God? If God knows me, He must know my emotions, and if He knows my emotions, He must have emotions Himself; else, why would, or could, I have them?

It reminds me of something Socrates is supposed to have said to someone (can I be more vague?), and I shamelessly and loosely paraphrase: 'How is it, so-and-so whose name probably ends with 'es', that the universe has no intelligence, and yet you do? You, being only a tiny part of the cosmos, which as you say is blind, unthinking, and without purpose? How is it that tiny you are intelligent, yet That which you come from, and of which you are a constituent and infinitesimal speck of matter, is not?

Anyway: to reiterate: God is the greatest Whole that is the sum of Its parts.

As with the analogy of the car, it has to be understood that all of these parts are perfectly organized and assembled, in an exact and precise manner, and that there can be no possible alternative to the manner in which this Whole (God) is assembled. To consider an alternative to how God is composed is to entertain Chaos, when Cosmos is the state of affairs we actually have and in which we exist. Chaos is a mental fabrication only, it is imaginary, and cannot come to pass.

Chaos theory, random variables, stochastic universe theory (I can pretend to know what all of these terms means, but I have only the most rudimentary grasp of them, as any scholar reading this will know) are all well and good, but no theory has upset the natural order of things, at least as far as we know. All we can do is seek to understand nature (God); we cannot alter it. We can use nature to further our ends, to good or evil, such as agriculture and medicine, or whips, chains & hand grenades (Zappa) and WMDs; but we can only do so while obeying nature and its laws.

Ultiamately, I propose a God Who, while infinite in respect to time and space, is nonetheless limited: As in contained, defined, with specific and perfect parts in perfect and precise order, working eternally, without possibility of successful interference or alteration from, or by, internal forces [man, bombs, angels, demons, aliens, AI, etc.] (there are no forces external to God). I also ascribe intelligence and purpose to God, although I cannot possibly describe what Her ultimate purpose is. I can only speculate, going on what seems to me is entirely obvious in our current world:

We seem to be progressing, albeit with much bloodhsed and suffering on grand and unforgivable scales, as a species. With the help of the Internet, people are coming together and understanding one another in an unprecedented manner. While that is true, there is also the opposite: we are also misunderstanding one another in an unprecedented manner.

Pascal said something like: The opposite of a truth is a falsehood; but the opposite of a profound truth may be another profound truth.

Go back to the Biblical story of the tower of Babel, where God decides to put into play factors which will result in mass confusion, mass misunderstanding, mass contention, prejudice, and all the ugliness contingent on that. Now realize that God is not the actual author of the Bible or any of its stories, but is probably, and I would say almost certainly, the inspiration and true source of those stories, as well as all the other religious stories around the globe, past and present.

The Bible was written by men (and women who didn't get nearly enough credit, if any) who had the same imaginations and fancies that we have now, but they lacked technology and what they wrote appears barbaric to us. I don't find those writings barbaric - although there are bits here and there which I find repugnant and disgusting - I regard them as humanity's infantile expression of what would eventually unfold and develop into the moral and legal concepts extant on this planet today.

The problem of evil is not a problem philosophically or theologically, at least not in my conception. However, it IS a tremendous problem for the inhabitants of this planet. If we conceive of a Prime Motive Power that is Nature, which is in fact (not fact literally, I say it as a figure of speech) endowed with consciousness, intelligence, and purpose, then we must realize that there is a balance that is and must be kept, by sheer necessity.

In order for things to have life, they must live at the expense of other living things. This is a fact of nature that cannot and will not be altered. The most benevolent fruitarian lives by consuming living things. By boiling his water to make it less harmful to him, an Albert Schwietzer has to routinely kill an inconceivably vast number of living organisms. When we plant crops for the vegetarians among us, we are killing the innumerable little beasties that live in that soil. Etcetera, etc. When we bathe we are killing, etc, etc.

That's why I say the problem of evil is not a problem philosophically or theologically. It's only a problem for us, for the beings who suffer for the gratification of beings more powerful. Spinoza said something like, 'there is no power so great in the universe wherein there is not something even more powerful that can destroy it.'

This does not apply to God, Who cannot be destroyed by anything more powerful. If we conceive of something that might be able to destroy God, then we are not speaking about God any longer, but about a god, super alien, or AI.

The above is simply my ruminations and I don't expect anyone to read it, take it seriously, or have anything to do with it. I offer it up to please myself, and hopefully, God.

If this in fact pisses God off, well, I guess I'm in for one hell of a ride.

If there is no such thing as God, then, it is what it is.

:joy:

I Googled Schweitzer and spelled it wrong - the second time I used his name, towards the very end of my post - anyhow! ^ See, I mean it when I say I'm a numbnuts. :joy:

"God" is clearly a mental state, and from my observations of those who claim to have some knowledge of such, something closer to emotion than intellect. In this sense "God" is a "what," and never a who.

I've known one person who started believing in "supernatural" when he developed alcohol induced psychosis in midlife. For his "God" to go away and never return he merely needs to practice abstinence, something that is understandably quite difficult for him to do.

"God" is never a scientific state of mind unless one is observing "God" associated behavior in others. And with the advances humans are making in mental imaging I am certain our understanding of precisely what constitutes "God" in terms of behavior will become more defined in my lifetime.

Certainly "God" is not something that is external to ourselves, as this has never been shown, only argued. So maybe arguing for the existence of something external to ourselves that is "God" is one of the attributes of "God."

Interestingly, etymologically speaking, "God" literally means to cry out.

It's interesting that you mention this person who believed in the supernatural (or some such) when he was drunk.

I had a friend who was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, who was the opposite: only when he stuck to the program and abstained from alcohol could he believe in God, or his Higher Power, which by the way he freely called God, and always told people emphatically: "Oh, I believe in God, damn straight."

When my friend departed from the program altogether, quite recently, and went back to drinking regularly, he became an adamant atheist, and told me that he was always an atheist, and that the AA experience, while it helped him to maintain years-long periods of sobriety, forced him, more or less, to obey the party line and confess to faith in God.

Here's what I think: why bother telling people you believe one thing when you actually don't? Not that I haven't done the exact same thing before. I have, and have said so here often enough. But, one must realize, if you believe in God, but have normal doubts, and even your own personal conception of God which you cling to, outside of orthodoxy and any doctrinal teaching, then one must say so openly. What possible benefit could accrue from pretending to be a committed Christian who follows doctrine X, pretending to certainty and total clarity on all issues, when inside there are doubts, confusion, cognitive dissonance? If I believe in God, then I believe that He is absolutely aware of all the inner turmoil I deal with, and hence, there is no point whatsoever in trying to put on airs in front of others. None! Total disclosure is the best policy for anyone struggling with faith. Naturally we don't have to share everything. We can keep our sexual hot-buttons and interests private, for instance (or not, depending on where and with whom we're speaking).

About God being external to us, and/or internal. Maybe God is 'external' to us in that we are a tiny portion of Her and She can get along quite well without us. We are totally dependent on Her, but She is not dependent on us. Does that count as external? I don't know. What I really think is that we are in God and there is nothing external to God, which would mean that God is also within us. 'Within You and Without You', as George Harrison said, though he was referring to Life, not God, though the two are inextricably linked.

Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven was within us, or something like that. Maybe He didn't say that, but someone much later put those words in His mouth? Who knows? Maybe there was no Jesus. Maybe He was a construct, a tool used for massive political and religious change? That may be the case, but I don't 'believe' that it is. Which means: I don't know (like Ozzy said in a song of that title.) !

Let's invent a god! Every culture has done so. It is a fun game!

I play the game, too. (see archaic lingo) Let us call the totality of everything Reality inclusive of all real gods, if any. Suppose that Reality is infinite. Let us further suppose that the highest of these gods, if any -- God -- is infinite. There is nothing, then, that is not a place where God is. Each and every thing, including I and thou are part of God. God is in each of us. Thou art God, but no big deal, so am I.

We are one of the things that Reality/God does.

Reality has given me a present. Reality has given me a present moment. Now, a time to be. And Being, that's the thing. There was a time I do not remember when I was not. Now, for the present moment, I am. I am and thou art. Man, it's great to be alive. For now. And now go forth and be the best human being thou canst be. Make others' well being as important to thee as thine own.

I have spent quite some time thinking about definition of god. This is my best description of this word in terms of how people use it.

A being may be call "god" if it falls in to one of two categories (could be both)
1) Creator of the universe. Please note that this god is not necessarily alive in this definition or interacts with the universe at all (to cover deists). The universe in this definition includes stars, planets, basically what we can see or might have seen if traveled through space. Questionable if includes things like parallel universe and definitely does not include God (and universe he is in) by definition.
2) Is a being in our universe, in a sense that it interacts with it at least some times, which has powerful abilities. Worshiping this god may give some favors both in life and afterlife (whatever it can be). Thus assumes that there is human soul and needs definition of "worshiping". Probably the most common thing that defines worshiping is pray, i.e. speaking in mind (or aloud) to that being, even though you do not see it, and asking for favors and or thanking it for something.

I think this covers most, if not all gods. Do you have examples/suggestions of something that does not fit into this category? It could be both ways, something called god is not part of these categories, or something NOT god, may be god according to this definition. Any suggestions?

I think several possible answers have already been given, including puddles and 42. Therefore Douglas Adams is God

Or maybe John Lennon.

Now goddesses?

or

Just what sort of God would make a world like this? A world of tsunamis, and tsetse flies; of genocide and really bad hair days; of dolphins and leprosy and strawberry blondes; of chaotic misery, interrupted by occasional flashes of astounding beauty.

The question goes back at least as far as Voltaire's poem on the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, and its subsequent elaboration in Candide. Voltaire's view was that the deity – remote, and sublime – simply doesn't care. Jung's response to the same question was that God is mad.

Meg Rosoff's answer, presented with a beguiling grace as well as a genuinely unnerving strangeness, is that God is a teenage boy called Bob: a feckless, floppy-haired, carelessly good-looking youth, who spends most of the day in bed, reliving past and anticipating future romantic conquests. He is a Zeus without the majesty, a bone-idle Apollo who really can't keep it in his pants. He's even mean, in a neglectful sort of way, to his pet – an odd, penguin-lemur sort of a creature called Eck.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/aug/12/no-dog-meg-rosoff-review

What is god?

Nice try but look, no experienced apologist or christian debater is going to give you a precise and exact definition because they know that will always run headlong in some of the age old objections of atheist philosophers.

What you get are vague allusions (illusions?) and ill defined generics or impenetrable blocks of text that if it was found during a psychological anamnesis would be called word salad. Trying to argue with these is like punching fog.

Loretta,

"Chemically ingrained" to believe in god?

Uh, yes and no.

We have specific flaws in our thinking that evolved to improve our survival. These flaws have been hijacked by religion (wittingly or unwittingly).

My new definition of mind heard here.

Mind is what the brain does.

My new definition of mind heard here.

Mind is what the brain does.
You're saying that you don't mind?
I am a body with a mind and a mind with a body. I don't mind.
Or do you mean that you are your brain?
In part. Mind -- the mind's I -- is an emergent property of a body-mind entire. The brain and other neurology is part of the whole, indeed. A critical part. No brain, no possibility of a mind.

This being-a-self-with-intentionality-like-mine is projected into everything at first. It is this ability to project a mind onto anything (see video for details) that leads to the soul/body dichotomy. The separation of the causal agency into a mind occupying some body or some thing.

Lets see; God:

Created the Universe. He is an entity that creates universes. This entity is so simple that it can exist without cause; or it is (uniquely of all things, including space and time) eternal.

Sustains the Universe. Objects in motion remain in motion only because God pushes them along, either in person, or by sending an Angel to do it for him. Neither God nor Angels are detectable, or distinguishable from simple physical laws. God is sub-sub-atomic; He is the thing smaller than the smallest things we can detect; and He is absolutely determined not to give Himself away by having any object disobey physical law while under scientific observation.

Is everywhere. God is everywhere, all the time, and is therefore vastly more complex that the rest of the universe put together.

Is omnicognisant. God knows absolutely everything that has happened, is happening, or will ever happen. He does fuck all about any of the bad things, because he is either powerless, or evil.

Loves all mankind. God wants us all to be happy and wants us to cease all sinful behaviour. He does fuck all about this, because he is either ignorant, or powerless. One reason for his powerlessness is that He gave us free will; We are completely at liberty to do anything we want, and will burn in hell for eternity if we do the wrong thing; Exactly what is 'wrong' is defined in his magnum opus, where it is all crystal clear. Killing, for example, is wrong. Not killing (for any one of myriad reasons also made clear in his book), is also wrong. We have complete freedom of will, and as long as we both kill, and do not kill, we will be just fine.

Is all powerful. He can do absolutely anything at all. But he does nothing to help anyone, because either he is ignorant of their need, or enjoys their suffering.

Answers prayers. Despite being all-knowing, God needs you to point out to him what needs to be done. If you mention that millions are dying in war in the Middle East, and ask that He do something to stop it, He will give you the cold-shoulder; But if you are looking for a parking spot, or trying to kick a field goal, He will help you out, every time.

Died for our sins. However - April Fool! - He turns out not to have died at all. Probably a good thing, as someone dying has little effect on other people's sins; Indeed the world is a pretty sinful place, considering that it was definitively 'saved' two millennia ago.

Is the one and only true God. Unless there are three of Him. Or more. But however many Gods there are, you had better not guess the wrong number, or else.

Is love. Awww.

Is a jealous God. Thats a tough break; being jealous of others is hard to pull off when you are the one and only.

Has declared that love is not jealous. Which is tough to reconcile with the previous two statements; but hey, God can do anything, so the logically impossible is no barrier.

Is wholly outside space and time. Which renders Him impotent, as to do anything in the observable universe, you must be at least partly inside space and time.

Has a vital and important message for all mankind. But apparently thinks that the best way to communicate with all mankind is to reveal His perfect word to a bunch of nomadic people in a desert somewhere, and hope they pass His word on without too much distortion.

Is invincible; and provides invincibility to all who follow Him. Thank you for not mentioning iron chariots; or any wars, battles, skirmishes or campaigns where His people were less than 100% victorious.

Needs your $500 Please call 1-800-GULLIBLE with your credit card details now! First 50 callers get a free 'Honk if you love Jesus' car sticker!

Needs your $500 Please call 1-800-GULLIBLE with your credit card details now! First 50 callers get a free 'Honk if you love Jesus' car sticker!

I have not yet received my car sticker, despite having given my credit cards details multiple times.

If it will help you to investigate the matter, they were different credit cards because apparently, I went and maxed them all out on something and then forgot what.

Not to worry, Tom, God made you do that; it is in His plan.

You do pray "Thy Will be Done" don't you?

Preamble to Cosmic Heirarchy

God is an ancient, paternal approach to identifying Universe.

God{ ess } is modern approach that infers maternal aspect in identifying Universe.

Universe/God{ ess } aka Great Momma, Great Spirit, Cosmos, Multiverse{ finite }

"U"niverse > Universe > universe{s} > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

This latter above is the preamble to my cosmic heirarchy.

r6

God{ ess } is modern approach that infers maternal aspect in identifying Universe.

"U"niverse > Universe > universe{s} > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

r6

Like *takes a toke* far out, man!

I define spirituality to be a square circle, therefore I have proved spirituality doesn't exist!

r6
My God performed one miracle--just One: She transformed Himself into the One -- Universe.

Universally yours,
George S

Back
Top Bottom