• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why it's ok to be a rambling fool.

The last four elections prior to Trump, Trump has beaten only one Republican candidate in the popular vote. Trump has a rabid base, but that base isn't huge. If they wanted to try to seize power, it could be close, but otherwise, Trump isn't engaging a huge percentage of people, any more so than previous Republicans. He just has a rabidly fierce loyal base of supporters. So while the cult of personality of Trump is real, the actual threat is the Heritage Foundation and the like. And they aren't going anywhere.

Hitler got into office with about 33 percent of the vote, iirc.
Gonna be hard to get into the White House with 33% of the vote.

Hitler was also appointed chancellor, it wasn't like he immediately got in and boom, was chancellor. Someone gave him that appointment.

Why not just follow Clinton's example and call them ALL deplorables.
Clinton explicitly didn't do that. She referred to a "basket of deplorables", with whom she was contrasting the rest of the Republicans - the ones who were calmly ignoring the detrimental effect of those deplorables on their once respectable party.

You appear to have fallen victim to the very disease you are warning about. Physician, heal thyself!
Hillary Clinton said half of Donald Trump’s supporters belong in a “basket of deplorables”
That is millions of Americans. Millions. Wrap your head around that.
As for fallen victim, see what I was responding to:
I call them Nazis and fascists if they support someone who is clearly calling for a theocracy and they clearly don't care about that.

SO...................... here is a little exercise for you. What are YOU going to say if swing voters or independents decide to favor Trump in November. Will THEY all be Nazis in your eyes????????

That won’t happen, but if it did, then they will have to wear the shoe that fits them.

In short, my question about swing voters and independents would STILL be regarded as Nazis if they voted for Trump.
So, it appears, some on here NOW would go as far as to consider ALL Trump voters deplorable, because.........
then they will have to wear the shoe that fits them.

As you can see under my username, I am a liberal, I have also repeatedly said on here I have no use for the MAGA types, but my original argument was quite clear.........
The Trump base are deplorable. They are also self deluded thanks to decades of right wing propaganda. They hate America, they dream of tyranny.

At this point the conservatives who actually exist have to choose whether to vote for the guy who orchestrated Jan 6th, tried to get the Ukrainian President to announce a fake investigation into Biden, mocked the brutal attack of Pelosi's husband, which was aimed for Pelosi herself, helped convince an unknown number of people to die of Covid.

Doesn't matter what you call it, I am finding hard to look those people in the eye.
It is much less simple than that. There are people I genuinely love, genuinely like and genuinely respect who have and almost certainly will vote for Trump again. I do not like, admire or respect that choice but I understand that they have some genuine points:

Immigration is a good thing and a bad thing. From my personal knowledge, increasing the non-English speaking population at schools drains schools budgets. It just does. People who have lived here for years or generations can be very upset about resources being taken from their kids and used for someone else’s kids. This is true whenever school budgets get tight and programming and staffing gets cut—regardless of the reasons. Raising property taxes ( a major source of public school funding in the US) is also something that causes problems—very real problems for both property owners and renters. Two of the hardest things for people to accept are anything that ( they believe) harms their children or pinches their pocketbooks too hard. For people on fixed incomes, it is a serious issue and can push them out of their homes. The loss can be very substantial and can push people off of homes and farms that have passed through the generations. Plus change is hard and many people really struggle with change.

Because immigrants, undocumented and otherwise, are willing to work for less money and for worse work conditions, wages are artificially suppressed, and work conditions do not improve —and that plays out throughout the economy.

Another issue is that people in a particular country, region, state, city or town or neighborhood all get along to the extent that they agree on ‘how things are -and how they are done’ and ‘how things should be.’ We all drive on a certain side of the road because laws established which side was correct but we ‘all know’ that one brings a casserole to a new family or to someone who is sick or who experiences loss. Except that’s not always the custom everywhere and there is often an expectation that certain people will do X and certain people will do Y and if someone doesn’t do that : it’s wrong! Crazy, rude, selfish, useless, etc. we all know that families have their certain ways and when someone joins the family, there is an adjustment—for everyone. How well that happens and is accepted depends upon the differences in everyone’s individual and collective expectations and how those expectations are met. This same pattern is reflected in communities of every size and shape and strata and composition.

When areas, communities, groups, families, individuals have scant resources, people are more stressed and less accepting.

I’m in my 60’s and can tell you—as anyone near my age will agree, in many respects the world —and society—looks vastly different than it did in my youth or even 20 years ago. In my childhood, bald eagles were nearly extinct —and we discontinued using DDT. Now, I see eagles and many other types of wildlife very frequently, just as one example.

When I was in high school in the 1970’s, of course I had some classmates who were gay, but many flew under the radar and almost all were quietly accepted as long as it wasn’t obvious. For those who could not hide, things were rough. Although I was fairly stupid and naive back then, of course there were transgender and bisexual and ACE individuals—it just wasn’t recognized. My community was very homogeneous—and differences stood out and often were not acceptable. Drove me insane at the time, even though I was related to a large portion of my county, so I was ver much not different. Gender roles were more rigid and I was pretty unhappy with the expectations of my community and occasionally family, although I was fortunate that both my parents strongly supported their daughters’ academic pursuits.

This was also a time when society changed a lot. This upheaval still existed in the 70’s.

Change is very hard, and again, for individuals and groups who are struggling or who have lost ground,—real or perceived— it’s often much harder.

And it is always always always easier to look at the source of difficulty as being someone else’s fault.

Some people and some Indy dials accept others more easily than others. Just as some people are more adventurous in their food choices or music or dress, to take it to a more trivial area. Some people rely very heavily on routine. Not everyone but if routine is important to you, disruptions are harder.

Throw in a profit and/or power motive, and it’s easy to see how those differences are exploited.

Even here, on this board, I read very frequently some fairly ignorant and unfair stereotypes about small towns, rural areas, geographic regions. The fact that many people regard people like me who have spent most of their lives in small towns surrounded by farm lands as backward, ignorant bigots who are deplorable. And of course by some I’m regarded as a leftist.

The thing is: people are people are people. We tend to think in stereotypes as a way of screening out what we think is extraneous information. It’s just easier to think if redheads as fiery, blondes as dumb, black people as dumb, lazy and criminal, women can’t do math or science and don’t understand computers, men don’t or should not cry and know how to fix things or should just as women should know how to cook. It’s ridiculous. Everyone speaks the same language. And if they don’t, why not?? But it’s being human.

We as humans are at an inflection point or two. We need to grow abd become more understanding and accepting that the way things have always been is changing g and things should work more/better for everyone, not just the people who look like you or the people for whom things have always been good.

Left, right, center: all of us.

Left
Left
Left Right Left

Clinton explicitly didn't do that. She referred to a "basket of deplorables", with whom she was contrasting the rest of the Republicans - the ones who were calmly ignoring the detrimental effect of those deplorables on their once respectable party.

You appear to have fallen victim to the very disease you are warning about. Physician, heal thyself!
Hillary Clinton said half of Donald Trump’s supporters belong in a “basket of deplorables”
I call them Nazis and fascists if they support someone who is clearly calling for a theocracy and they clearly don't care about that.

SO...................... here is a little exercise for you. What are YOU going to say if swing voters or independents decide to favor Trump in November. Will THEY all be Nazis in your eyes????????

That won’t happen, but if it did, then they will have to wear the shoe that fits them.

In short, my question about swing voters and independents would STILL be regarded as Nazis if they voted for Trump.
So, it appears, some on here NOW would go as far as to consider ALL Trump voters deplorable, because.........

As you can see under my username, I am a liberal, I have also repeatedly said on here I have no use for the MAGA types, but my original argument was quite clear.........
The Trump base are deplorable. They are also self deluded thanks to decades of right wing propaganda. They hate America, they dream of tyranny.

At this point the conservatives who actually exist have to choose whether to vote for the guy who orchestrated Jan 6th, tried to get the Ukrainian President to announce a fake investigation into Biden, mocked the brutal attack of Pelosi's husband, which was aimed for Pelosi herself, helped convince an unknown number of people to die of Covid.

Doesn't matter what you call it, I am finding hard to look those people in the eye.
It is much less simple than that.
Actually it is that simple. Vote for the guy who among many in his party tried to steal an election and got one of his supporters killed in the fires he stoked, or not vote for that guy. If January 6th isn't the point of no return, there is no point of no return.
There are people I genuinely love, genuinely like and genuinely respect who have and almost certainly will vote for Trump again. I do not like, admire or respect that choice but I understand that they have some genuine points:
They seem to suffer from an issue of problem solving. Trump already was President. I remember driving through parts of rural Ohio. Looked the same as before. Nothing changed. Trump signed a massive corporate tax cut. Trump provided no relief to people that were hurting. Trump doesn't care about these people. At least one could say Romney would have at least cared a bit... while enacting policies that didn't work in his base's best interests.

I don't want to read about how these people have "genuine points" or "genuine problems", I understand they have issues. I empathize with those issues. The problem is their solution of voting for Trump to solve those problems is absolute shit.

It is much less simple than that.
Actually it is that simple. Vote for the guy who among many in his party tried to steal an election and got one of his supporters killed in the fires he stoked, or not vote for that guy. If January 6th isn't the point of no return, there is no point of no return.
There are people I genuinely love, genuinely like and genuinely respect who have and almost certainly will vote for Trump again. I do not like, admire or respect that choice but I understand that they have some genuine points:
They seem to suffer from an issue of problem solving. Trump already was President. I remember driving through parts of rural Ohio. Looked the same as before. Nothing changed. Trump signed a massive corporate tax cut. Trump provided no relief to people that were hurting. Trump doesn't care about these people. At least one could say Romney would have at least cared a bit... while enacting policies that didn't work in his base's best interests.

I don't want to read about how these people have "genuine points" or "genuine problems", I understand they have issues. I empathize with those issues. The problem is their solution of voting for Trump to solve those problems is absolute shit.
I do not disagree about how effective Trump was at helping rural or low income people. I’m sure we agree that is largely because Trump does not give a fuck about anyone other than himself.

But Trump does give voice to their prejudices and bigotries. Finally there is a powerful person saying out loud what they think and what has been been considered politically incorrect. They have been made to feel invisible, inconsequential. They feel blamed for their circumstances.

Think of it this way: look at the huge outpouring of support for Kamala Harris from women and persons of color and even white dudes! Women and persons of color feel seen, and elevated. I’m a lifelong science nerd —but not a history nerd ir even mild fan. I was thrilled when Hidden Figures came out—saw the movie multiple times, bought the book and other similar ones about women in science and math, bought the books, felt proud and vindicated to get some recognition and a bit furious that this part of history had been ignored—hidden. BTW, ALL of my sisters and I pursued careers in math and science. My baby sister is 60. We are so fortunate my father pushed us in that direction and praised us for our success ( mom, not so much).

So I kinda get it but struggle hard with the fact that many do not care or realize that Trump looks down on them.

And there’s the abortion issue. For some, that’s the only issue that matters. Some will tolerate Trump for what he did with the courts.

And let’s be honest here: for a certain number of women, it is just accepted that some men cheat and knock you around and maybe worse. Some people think that’s just the way men are. I disagree, vehemently. But for some people that’s their lived experience. What else would you expect from someone who works hard, for long hours and not enough pay or respect. It is amazing what we unwittingly replicate in our adult lives.

Last edited:

But Trump does give voice to their prejudices and bigotries. Finally there is a powerful person saying out loud what they think and what has been been considered politically incorrect. They have been made to feel invisible, inconsequential. They feel blamed for their circumstances.

Think of it this way: look at the huge outpouring of support for Kamala Harris from women and persons of color and even white dudes! Women and persons of color feel seen, and elevated. I’m a lifelong science nerd —but not a history nerd ir even mild fan. I was thrilled when Hidden Figures came out—saw the movie multiple times, bought the book and other similar ones about women in science and math, bought the books, felt proud and vindicated to get some recognition and a bit furious that this part of history had been ignored—hidden. BTW, ALL of my sisters and I pursued careers in math and science. My baby sister is 60. We are so fortunate my father pushed us in that direction and praised us for our success ( mom, not so much).

I think there is an important difference between feeling validated as a woman or a person of color or as a science nerd, and feeling validated for one’s prejudices and bigotries.

Well, I was born right around the birth of the McCarthy Era and although I was just a toddler or young child during most of it, I do wonder if things really will be worse than they were back then, if the Republicans gain the power of Congress and the presidency or are we just shitting in our pants, without considering that just maybe there will be enough people both in and out of government who won't let what we all fear happen?

Sometimes when I read these comments, I feel as if we've lost our collective minds. We survived the McCarty era, which was one of the biggest threats to democracy in the past 100 years. We survived the Civil War, and the end of slavery, ( I'm not talking about the current problem of how prisoners are often mistreated etc. but how a person was literally owned and sold as something less than human ) Maybe we need to calm down, and help get out the vote. There are more Republicans, not just Liz Cheney, and the mayor of Mesa, Arizona coming out to speak against Trump and encourage people to vote blue as in country over party.

Yes, he and his party are a potential threat, but we've survived other horrible periods in history, and so has Europe, which is far from perfect as well. It was the British that forced poor white people here, who were more or less enslaved as unwilling indentured servants and referred to as "white trash". Today, I read that there were even Black folks in the US who owned other Black folks, something I was never taught in school. And no, that doesn't excuse what white folks did, including our founders who were some of the most powerful hypocrites ever, or what the police do today. It's not always about racism. A lot of it is about classism. In fact, a lovely Black health care worker who I know told me that I was wrong if I didn't understand that plenty of Black folks held racist attitudes too. And, as Hillary said, a lot of Trump supporters feel as if the government has failed them, perhaps because they don't know any better. It's a human problem, even if some of it was inherited from our ape ancestors.

Humans are a miserable species who have done more damage to the world than any other animal, but sometimes we collectively do the right thing, spreading love and compassion. As the line in another song goes, "only love can conquer hate". Damn. I'm full of lines from music these days because musical lyrics often give us hope. ( not always, but sometimes, okay ) "Just a little bit of love can unite black and white" or so the late Ray Charles sang in one of his lesser known songs.

Well, I'm rambling now, and "Maybe I'm a Fool" to believe the above.

So, let's "get on board the Love Train"! :giggle: :love::gayhug:

😂 Sure, I'm laughing because humor is the best medicine, which is one of the reasons I've become very fond of Kamala Harris. She has a wonderful sense of humor, while not once have I heard her opponent laugh.

I think there is an important difference between feeling validated as a woman or a person of color or as a science nerd, and feeling validated for one’s prejudices and bigotries.
Sure sure BUT there are similarities. Can we just agree that everyone here and in the world has some bigotries and prejudices? One common bigotry is that people in the south or in largely rural areas/small towns are bigots and racists? My mother’s stepfather was a member of the Klan as I found out years after he died. But the only time I’ve seen someone in person dressed in Klan robes was in a very upscale Virginia suburb of Washington, an extremely diverse area.

Quite a few rural areas and small towns have growing numbers of minorities. Quite a few people living in rural/small town areas hold degrees, even advanced degrees. There are after all doctors, nurses, lawyers everywhere, as much as modern health care ‘seeks efficiencies’ by consolidating clinics, leaving rural residents with very long drives fur has c care—and emergencies. Including, btw, prenatal care and labor and delivery.

Laws regulating prices and mandating environmental protections that are very costly to individuals—without any help defraying the cost. People in Washington make and break farmers, every day. It is not surprising that there is suspicion and resentment towards ‘big government’ which seems to have no idea what life is like in rural areas and seems much more concerned with corporate profits and re-election.

I don’t agree with bigotry or racism and yes, people (everywhere) can be very parochial. But I very much see/understand the point. A relative of mine used to own a beautiful large farm, with a lovely home on top of the hill. In the ‘70’s an interstate was built running right through the middle of his land—land that had been in his family for many years. Sure, he was monetarily compensated but when I say that it broke him, I’m not really exaggerating. BTW, he/we were related to half the county. If you think that scenario did not fuel a ton of resentment, you’d be wrong.

But what if your prejudices are based on feeling pushed out of your job, your land? What if your prejudices are based on the fact that your kids lose their music program or have large class sizes or your widowed grandma has to leave her home because of increased taxes to help pay for ESL programming? People think racism or bigotry is all ignorance based but it isn’t ( all). Some is truly based on perceptions that the people who already live there must lose ( insert basic need) in order to accommodate people who don’t even speak the same language. Yes, they are blaming the wrong people but they are responding to what they experience.

To just scratch the surface.

Of course there’s a lot more than that and much of it is ignorance based. But some of it is a reaction to losing that small bit of security you used to have.

I do wonder if things really will be worse than they were back then, if the Republicans gain the power of Congress and the presidency
Yes, they would be. But that won’t happen because voters won’t let it. That, thanks to the fact that they have a clearly articulated vision of the future, and a candidate who can make herself understood without subtitles.
/wishful/hopeful

Or else the voters will let it happen, and 99.9% of their grandchildren will be truly fucked. C’est la vie.

I do wonder if things really will be worse than they were back then, if the Republicans gain the power of Congress and the presidency
Yes, they would be. But that won’t happen because voters won’t let it. That, thanks to the fact that they have a clearly articulated vision of the future, and a candidate who can make herself understood without subtitles.
/wishful/hopeful

Or else the voters will let it happen, and 99.9% of their grandchildren will be truly fucked. C’est la vie.
Maybe. I'm just not as pessimistic lately. I am somewhat amused and somewhat horrified by the anti Harris ads on TV. OMG. Kamala must have been handing out fentanyl at the border and she loves all those criminals. Okay. Those aren't the exact words. Those are my satirical interpretation of those dumbass claims. Meanwhile I have not seen one thing that the Trump campaign says they are going to do. Every fucking ads is bashing Kamala and imo, they are insane, but then I guess so are some of the cultists who vote for Trump. I'm hoping enough people will be awake enough to realize how insane those ads are and start to wonder WTF is going on.

Just because the leader of the cult has a plan, doesn't mean he and his loyalists will be able to carry out the plan. I don't remember which paper I read it in, but it laid out how difficult and expensive it would be for Trump and company to actually remove all of the undocumented immigrants from the country and how hard it would be to get the cooperation from the National Guard, the governors etc. I doubt my own right wing governor would support such a plan. He's no genius but he knows that Georgia is a big farming state and we need immigrants to help on the farms, since no American would do that work. I understand being fearful of Project 2025, but it's going to take an awful lot of crazies and money to make it come to fruition and the majority of Christians are against it as well.

And, all kinds of people are energized by Harris. I'm not going to be full on negative because even If I'm wrong, it serves no purpose to live in fear. What was that line some guy said back in the forties......."We have nothing to fear but fear itself". Maybe he was right.

Well, I was born right around the birth of the McCarthy Era and although I was just a toddler or young child during most of it, I do wonder if things really will be worse than they were back then, if the Republicans gain the power of Congress and the presidency or are we just shitting in our pants, without considering that just maybe there will be enough people both in and out of government who won't let what we all fear happen?

Sometimes when I read these comments, I feel as if we've lost our collective minds. We survived the McCarty era, which was one of the biggest threats to democracy in the past 100 years. We survived the Civil War, and the end of slavery, ( I'm not talking about the current problem of how prisoners are often mistreated etc. but how a person was literally owned and sold as something less than human ) Maybe we need to calm down, and help get out the vote. There are more Republicans, not just Liz Cheney, and the mayor of Mesa, Arizona coming out to speak against Trump and encourage people to vote blue as in country over party.

Yes, he and his party are a potential threat, but we've survived other horrible periods in history, and so has Europe, which is far from perfect as well. It was the British that forced poor white people here, who were more or less enslaved as unwilling indentured servants and referred to as "white trash". Today, I read that there were even Black folks in the US who owned other Black folks, something I was never taught in school. And no, that doesn't excuse what white folks did, including our founders who were some of the most powerful hypocrites ever, or what the police do today. It's not always about racism. A lot of it is about classism. In fact, a lovely Black health care worker who I know told me that I was wrong if I didn't understand that plenty of Black folks held racist attitudes too. And, as Hillary said, a lot of Trump supporters feel as if the government has failed them, perhaps because they don't know any better. It's a human problem, even if some of it was inherited from our ape ancestors.

Humans are a miserable species who have done more damage to the world than any other animal, but sometimes we collectively do the right thing, spreading love and compassion. As the line in another song goes, "only love can conquer hate". Damn. I'm full of lines from music these days because musical lyrics often give us hope. ( not always, but sometimes, okay ) "Just a little bit of love can unite black and white" or so the late Ray Charles sang in one of his lesser known songs.
I'm not sure "eventually turning out alright" is a suitable compensation for what could be lost. You know, most of the people fired by McCarthy didn't get their jobs back when his "Era" was "over", right? After Hitler fell, the Jewish neighborhoods of Germany and eastern Europe were not rebuilt, and most of the Holocaust survivors died extremely poor and in ill health. In the US, McCarthy was his generation's most extreme case of authoritarianism redecorated (thank god) but he was not alone. Rather, he was backed by an entire nation broadly sympathetic to his goals. Though they felt he had "gone too far", they still didn't want communists and gays in their government. They still don't -- getting a government job or achieving security clearance when you have participated in a "collectivist organization" in the past is still much more difficult. LGBTQ youth still huddle in homeless enclaves, waiting for the day they can become emancipated and become migrant exiles in their own country. You may not know many bi people, but you know me. When I'm fired on false charges of pedophilia three or six years from now, maybe spend a few days in jail for public indecency, will you have a spare room for me? Let all the apps put a "registered sex offender" dot over your house, on my behalf? All around this country, girls and women denied abortion care are dying on hospital tables from birth complications or botched home care. Will you raise them from the dead?

When are things "better again"? Who decides? When widespread small persecutions by built up over a century, to what point do you reset things before declaring the problems solved? These problems are not solved now, and putting a Christian theocracy unchained by Constitutional law into power isn't going to be a magic reset button. We must push, not passively wait for improvements that we're promised will happen someday. I appreciate the concept of optimism, but it must be backed up by concrete action. Unpopular action.

It is easier to lose rights than to gain them.

Yes, he and his party are a potential threat, but we've survived other horrible periods in history, and so has Europe, which is far from perfect as well.

I was born smack dab in the middle of the 1960s, in a nice white suburb of Detroit that was that way because of redlining. The town we moved to was also all white, and I heard that there was a black family that moved there in the 60s, but their house "mysteriously" burned down. I thought maybe things were getting better (back in the 90s the town even had a black mayor), but it's become MAGA country in the last 8 years. It's frustrating to watch. A step forward. A step back. And that's the frustrating thing.

Yeah, we survived the McCarthy era. The Cold War ended almost 35 years ago. Yet the right wing is STILL claiming that "the commies" are hiding under the bed and we need to "fight socialism." We're almost 60 years into the era of Civil Rights, and there STILL has to be Black Lives Matter protests as people who get pulled over for "driving while black" get gunned down for no reason. We're 50 years past Roe v Wade, and that's dead now. We're almost 30 years past Ellen coming out on television, and states are rushing to emulate Florida's "Don't Say Gay" laws. On top of all that, a lot of the people who came of age in the post WWII era of unions and social safety nets building the middle class are not only desperately trying to undo all the things that made their lives possible, but marching furiously back towards the Gilded Age. That era had JP Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, JD Rockefeller and Henry Ford lording over the economy while workers struggled to make ends meet, and now we have folks like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Mark Zuckerberg raking in obscene amounts of wealth while workers struggle to make ends meet.

We keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. We progress a little, then it gets rolled back. Yes, we've survived horrible periods in history. Yet instead of learning from our mistakes, it's all "hey, maybe if we tried giving all the money and power to the rich people, it would really work this time!"

Last edited:
IT'S A FUCKING BACKWATER INTERNET FORUM NOBODY EVER HEARD OF.
If anyone wants to spend their time getting their panties in a twist over something someone else posted, they should be grateful to have panties and the opportunity to twist them before a very limited audience. Welcome, RF!
Aw, c'mon, we're famous enough to have our very own Russian propaganda agent assigned to us!
Yes but they could have given us someone half decent at the job. Like Yuri Modin

The last four elections prior to Trump, Trump has beaten only one Republican candidate in the popular vote. Trump has a rabid base, but that base isn't huge. If they wanted to try to seize power, it could be close, but otherwise, Trump isn't engaging a huge percentage of people, any more so than previous Republicans. He just has a rabidly fierce loyal base of supporters. So while the cult of personality of Trump is real, the actual threat is the Heritage Foundation and the like. And they aren't going anywhere.

Hitler got into office with about 33 percent of the vote, iirc.
Gonna be hard to get into the White House with 33% of the vote.
Since you Yanks do not have compulsory voting and your voting rates are quite deplorable then it is that probably not that hard to get the White House with only 33% of the electorate.

It is much less simple than that. There are people I genuinely love, genuinely like and genuinely respect who have and almost certainly will vote for Trump again. I do not like, admire or respect that choice but I understand that they have some genuine points:

Immigration is a good thing and a bad thing. From my personal knowledge, increasing the non-English speaking population at schools drains schools budgets. It just does. People who have lived here for years or generations can be very upset about resources being taken from their kids and used for someone else’s kids. This is true whenever school budgets get tight and programming and staffing gets cut—regardless of the reasons. Raising property taxes ( a major source of public school funding in the US) is also something that causes problems—very real problems for both property owners and renters. Two of the hardest things for people to accept are anything that ( they believe) harms their children or pinches their pocketbooks too hard. For people on fixed incomes, it is a serious issue and can push them out of their homes. The loss can be very substantial and can push people off of homes and farms that have passed through the generations. Plus change is hard and many people really struggle with change.

Because immigrants, undocumented and otherwise, are willing to work for less money and for worse work conditions, wages are artificially suppressed, and work conditions do not improve —and that plays out throughout the economy.

Another issue is that people in a particular country, region, state, city or town or neighborhood all get along to the extent that they agree on ‘how things are -and how they are done’ and ‘how things should be.’ We all drive on a certain side of the road because laws established which side was correct but we ‘all know’ that one brings a casserole to a new family or to someone who is sick or who experiences loss. Except that’s not always the custom everywhere and there is often an expectation that certain people will do X and certain people will do Y and if someone doesn’t do that : it’s wrong! Crazy, rude, selfish, useless, etc. we all know that families have their certain ways and when someone joins the family, there is an adjustment—for everyone. How well that happens and is accepted depends upon the differences in everyone’s individual and collective expectations and how those expectations are met. This same pattern is reflected in communities of every size and shape and strata and composition.

When areas, communities, groups, families, individuals have scant resources, people are more stressed and less accepting.

I’m in my 60’s and can tell you—as anyone near my age will agree, in many respects the world —and society—looks vastly different than it did in my youth or even 20 years ago. In my childhood, bald eagles were nearly extinct —and we discontinued using DDT. Now, I see eagles and many other types of wildlife very frequently, just as one example.

When I was in high school in the 1970’s, of course I had some classmates who were gay, but many flew under the radar and almost all were quietly accepted as long as it wasn’t obvious. For those who could not hide, things were rough. Although I was fairly stupid and naive back then, of course there were transgender and bisexual and ACE individuals—it just wasn’t recognized. My community was very homogeneous—and differences stood out and often were not acceptable. Drove me insane at the time, even though I was related to a large portion of my county, so I was ver much not different. Gender roles were more rigid and I was pretty unhappy with the expectations of my community and occasionally family, although I was fortunate that both my parents strongly supported their daughters’ academic pursuits.

This was also a time when society changed a lot. This upheaval still existed in the 70’s.

Change is very hard, and again, for individuals and groups who are struggling or who have lost ground,—real or perceived— it’s often much harder.

And it is always always always easier to look at the source of difficulty as being someone else’s fault.

Some people and some Indy dials accept others more easily than others. Just as some people are more adventurous in their food choices or music or dress, to take it to a more trivial area. Some people rely very heavily on routine. Not everyone but if routine is important to you, disruptions are harder.

Throw in a profit and/or power motive, and it’s easy to see how those differences are exploited.

Even here, on this board, I read very frequently some fairly ignorant and unfair stereotypes about small towns, rural areas, geographic regions. The fact that many people regard people like me who have spent most of their lives in small towns surrounded by farm lands as backward, ignorant bigots who are deplorable. And of course by some I’m regarded as a leftist.

The thing is: people are people are people. We tend to think in stereotypes as a way of screening out what we think is extraneous information. It’s just easier to think if redheads as fiery, blondes as dumb, black people as dumb, lazy and criminal, women can’t do math or science and don’t understand computers, men don’t or should not cry and know how to fix things or should just as women should know how to cook. It’s ridiculous. Everyone speaks the same language. And if they don’t, why not?? But it’s being human.

We as humans are at an inflection point or two. We need to grow abd become more understanding and accepting that the way things have always been is changing g and things should work more/better for everyone, not just the people who look like you or the people for whom things have always been good.

Left, right, center: all of us.

Left
Left
Left Right Left
I’m editing to write: I very much support immigration and providing public education for immigrant children. I have family members who are immigrants. We have hosted high school exchange students. Even if the students are in American schools for only a part of a school year, they very much add to the culture of the school, to the learning abd underwing if every student (and teacher and staff member) and by exte toon, the whole community.

But there are genuine short term downsides in mostly underfunded communities that are financial. It may only last for a few years, but that’s a big chunk of education for students. I understand those community concerns even if I do not share the same concerns.

Yes, he and his party are a potential threat, but we've survived other horrible periods in history, and so has Europe, which is far from perfect as well.

I was born smack dab in the middle of the 1960s, in a nice white suburb of Detroit that was that way because of redlining. The town we moved to was also all white, and I heard that there was a black family that moved there in the 60s, but their house "mysteriously" burned down. I thought maybe things were getting better (back in the 90s the town even had a black mayor), but it's become MAGA country in the last 8 years. It's frustrating to watch. A step forward. A step back. And that's the frustrating thing.

Yeah, we survived the McCarthy era. The Cold War ended almost 35 years ago. Yet the right wing is STILL claiming that "the commies" are hiding under the bed and we need to "fight socialism." We're almost 60 years into the era of Civil Rights, and there STILL has to be Black Lives Matter protests as people who get pulled over for "driving while black" get gunned down for no reason. We're 50 years past Roe v Wade, and that's dead now. We're almost 30 years past Ellen coming out on television, and states are rushing to emulate Florida's "Don't Say Gay" laws. On top of all that, a lot of the people who came of age in the post WWII era of unions and social safety nets building the middle class are not only desperately trying to undo all the things that made their lives possible, but marching furiously back towards the Gilded Age. That era had JP Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, JD Rockefeller and Henry Ford lording over the economy while workers struggled to make ends meet, and now we have folks like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Mark Zuckerberg raking in obscene amounts of wealth while workers struggle to make ends meet.

We keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. We progress a little, then it gets rolled back. Yes, we've survived horrible periods in history. Yet instead of learning from our mistakes, it's all "hey, maybe if we tried giving all the money and power to the rich people, it would really work this time!"
Sure, but I've lived in the same little city for 26 years. When I first moved into my home, it was all white, mostly older adults. The first Black family that moved in to rent a little house at the end of the street across from a huge Methodist church was confronted with KKK painted all over the front of the house. I assume the landlord had it removed. About 3 years later, our first Black homeowner, who is also an RN, moved two doors down from me. Over the years, the neighborhood went from all white to very mixed race. And, even the Trump supporters have never shown any open racism. I have no idea what's in their hearts and minds, but at least they can live peacefully in a mixed race city, where most of us get along just fine. Even the most expensive parts of town are somewhat racially integrated, as are the poorest. Our BLM protest was a mix of Black and white, and the police marched along with the protesters. My pain was too severe to join them, but I do have a few white friends who marched. So, sure we big brained primates, will never overcome hate and racism, and that goes for hatred on all sides, but we have made a lot of progress, at least here in Georgia.

And yes, sadly, we still have poverty among both Black and white in some areas of town. We still have an area of town that is infested with gangs. I hate that gangs take advantage of young boys who lack good family support. I hate that so many men don't even try to support their families. There are endless problems among humans and that will never change. I'm not going to argue about that. I've made my point and I think it's better to be a bit optimistic that to cringe in fear and be pessimistic.

One of my dear friends is a poor Black woman who never complains, who appreciates anything I do for her. She's the type of person who, if she only had a dollar and someone needed help, she'd share it with them. There should be more like her. Imo, a lot of the reason, she is so joyful is because she has a lot of support from her family.

Every Black person I've ever known who has lived in both the North and the South has told me that the North is far more racist and segregated compared to the South, not that we don't have our share of racists here. They are just more obvious. I've lived here for 30 years, so I can't say much about the rest of the South, although most every where I've lived in the South, was more integrated compared to the Northeast where I grew up. So, maybe the North will catch up one day. ;) :p

And, I never said or implied that everything will turn out alright, but we must "keep on keepin' on" :giggle: and not expect perfection. Expecting perfection is a fool's dream. But, since we are all rambling fools.......Get a sense of humor guys. It might help. I just finished watching Kamala's speech in ATL. She did a wonderful job and energized the crowd. There was much laughter and humor. That's the way it should be.

And yeah, it would be great if the wealthy paid more taxes and had less power. It used to be more like that, so maybe it could happen again. People once were able to live on the minimum wage and wealthy people paid a much higher percentage of taxes. Maybe that will happen again. Time will tell, but it's not helping to just ramble on in despair. If we can't do anything about climate change, it's not going to matter who pays what taxes because we will all be fucked. Stop me before I ramble on some more.....Good night y'all. I'm done being a rambling fool, at least for awhile.

Immigration is a good thing and a bad thing. From my personal knowledge, increasing the non-English speaking population at schools drains schools budgets. It just does. People who have lived here for years or generations can be very upset about resources being taken from their kids and used for someone else’s kids. This is true whenever school budgets get tight and programming and staffing gets cut—regardless of the reasons. Raising property taxes ( a major source of public school funding in the US) is also
And even if it doesn't drain budgets it lowers the average student ability and thus the education that students will get. This is inevitable as a teacher can't teach at different levels to different students in the same class. You either don't challenge the best ones or you leave the worst ones behind. This is a big force behind white flight and it's a big force in why private schools can outperform public ones. (Everything else being equal a selective admissions policy will improve education.)

They do have genuine problems. What they don't understand is that The Felon will for the most part make the problems worse, not better.

What people in government??

He intends to make everything that matters into political appointments. There won't be anyone inside who can do anything. And when the courts only hear the cases he wants them to hear there's nothing someone outside can do, either.

This isn't McCarthy, this is Hitler.

Back
Top Bottom